Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What is "city chicken?" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 68.248.14.37
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Daily Love thread, someone mentioned "city chicken." At the risk of sounding ignorant (which, in this case, I am,) what the heck is that? I've seen and heard this term before. I have gathered that it is a description, not a brand name. Help me! I have learned that, for veery question posed, at least one of you has the answer.

Ravine

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant "every," dangit.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know it has a skewer running through it and I think it was dipped in something. And... I don't think it was chicken.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.coalregion.com/Reci pes/citychicken.htm

---this recipe sounds like it

Ravine

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Jjw... anybody else?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 760
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pork on a stick.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3051
Posted From: 68.252.125.198
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjw's link is spot-on.

It's especially popular at Polish restaurants. Why? I don't know.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.34.177.91
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pork and VEAL on a stick (like a shish-ka-bob skewer but smaller), breaded and pan-fried. A Polish food!!! Very good. My mother-in-law makes them all the time and they're my son's favorite.
I'm not sure why they're called "city chicken" though. Anyone know??

Ravine

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See? I knew you folks would not let me down. Got my answer in FOUR MINUTES. (Still, any further comments or info are welcomed... Hopefully, my question will not set off any hateful arguments or anti-social tirades...)

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 613
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you guys live in Detroit? Old Detroit staple, everyone at city chicken even the Irish like me; we had a fine Polish butcher.

I think there were so many polish butchers because the poles were starved for meat.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City chicken is AWESOME!! Should try some!! It's also called Mock Chicken. They have some really good City Chicken at Joe's produce on 7 mile and Farmington Rd. I'm sure Eastern Market would have some tasty ones too! Just be sure to cook it all the way through....like mama says, be sure your oil is HOT!

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 522
Posted From: 24.32.180.75
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We Germans had "City Chucken" also. There was a time (before Tyson and Conagra) that chicken was a delicacy. My mom was lucky, bacause her parents had friends on a farm who would give them a live chicken occasionally. My mother rode back to the city with it on the floor of the back seat, until they got home and my grandfather could kill it in the back yard. This was in Cleveland, but I'm sure Detroit was similar.

Since chicken was scarce (hence the campaign promise "a chicken in every pot") city folk settled for veal and pork, bound up on a skewer to resemble a drumstick.

A report from the great Ozark Egg Empire ...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Chicken, or Mock Chicken, became popular during WWII, when chicken was hard to come by. The skewered pork and veal on a stick mocked a chicken leg.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love threads like this. Each person who posts apparently doesn't read a thing anybody else has put up. I think it's a metaphor for America.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1002
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Veal and pork cost more than chicken. So if chicken was scarce, it was because others were probably using it all up. Being Austrian, we had Schnitzel (veal) all the time, though.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on July 02, 2006)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1313
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City chicken is really good. There is a place in Hamtramck that makes really good city chicken. Superaygun knows the name of the place I cannot remember.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck Steve,
When I wrote my post, Missnmich's post wasn't up yet. Don't make me come over there and kick your dupa.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2603
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scanning this thread I was about to define "city chicken" as slavic hillbilly food. H-steve's post shamed me into reading the previous posts a bit more closely and that link to coal region recipies hits it on the head.

Re slavic hillbillies, once upon a time Detroit was crawling with two VERY distinct types.

(1) offspring of first and second generation slavic american Detroiters who intermarried first generation appalachain white detroiters (mostly of ancient scots-irish and welsh descent)

and

(2) ~ second generation slavic americans whose family line came to Detroit for auto work via the appalachain coal fields.

"city chicken" is the product of (2), maybe it goes back to the old country, maybe not.

Yay Detroit and all it's subtlety and cultural depth hidden just beneath the seeming banality of meat on a stick!

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1929
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only that, some people phrase it a little different, or add something very subtle to the thread. Now I ask this. Do we want one answer to every post? I hope not.

I miss city chicken.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl, I'm going to use your positive outlook on every thread I read from now on. I like how diplomatic you are. "...add something very subtle to the thread." Some more subtle than others, I suppose. Although in this case, I'm trying to think of how you phrase "pork", "veal" and "chicken" differently.

Ed, I wasn't singling you out. The unintentional comedy started before you.

Rustic, I don't buy your assertions. There was an equally large group, probably larger than either of yours, of slavic people who came here without going through Appalachian coal country. This larger group could have just as easily been the source of city chicken.

Just because the only link provided is from a coal country recipe book doesn't mean that culture is the source of the food.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve,
Your dupa is safe..........for now.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a humorous aside, I was looking through Google to see what I could find about city chicken history-wise . On the third page, there's a listing for "Chicken dating" on match.com.

It wasn't what I thought.

Turns out there's a city in Alaska named Chicken.

Rustic

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H_Steve, absolutely there were the slavs who came to Detroit directly, (far and away the largest group of Detroits slavs). I am not familiar with city chicken being one of this groups delicacies tho. (btw that's why I made the "hillbilly" distinction in my post). maybe "city chicken" traces it's roots back to eastern europe maybe not ...

also I thought it was called "city" chicken cuz country folk raised their own chickens, "city" folk couldn't. and no self-respecting "country" raised Polish, Ukranian, Slovack, Rusyn, etc. housewife ever really trusted storebought chicken. I'm probably wrong about this tho ...

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're all wrong because city chicken is what the hospital gives to frogs when they cut their legs off for frog legs at Three Star Barbeque in Hamtramck! So since they have not perfected bone transplants yet they inserts sticks into the transplanted pork and veal legs so the frogs can walk home.

Livedog2

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dog, it took two or three reads of your post then I just burst out laughing. For just a fleeting second, I was wondering what the H you wre talking about frogs and leg transplants.....HAHAHAHAHA Cay ya imagine a frog with a cow leg??

Livedog2

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take your pick!

City Chicken:
city

Or

Frog Legs
frog

Livedog2

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, city chicken is absolutely a treat for non-Appalachian slavic folk. It's all over Hamtramck in the grocery stores and restaurants.

I doubt it's something they brought from Europe, because my Ukranian immigrant neighbors never heard of such a thing.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 851
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love threads like this. Each person who posts apparently doesn't read a thing anybody else has put up. I think it's a metaphor for America.

Rustic

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H-steve, I didn't know that, thanks! IMO there is a PA/WV/OH hillfolk tie to that treat. I'll stick to my etimology (sp?) of the term tho ...

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Chicken and Mock Chicken are 2 completely different things, one (Mock) is ground veal and pork while city is cubes.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/searc h/0,1-00,mock_chicken_legs,FF. html

Rustic

Post Number: 2608
Posted From: 128.36.14.165
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.polishnews.com/polo nica/ask5.shtml
Q: My grandmother, who arrived from in Detroit Poland in 1912, used to make city chicken, but I cannot find the recipe in any Polish cookbook. Is it known by some other name? ...

A: You were unable to find city chicken in any Polish cookbook because the dish is not Polish. But it has been long a part of the Pol-Am wedding, banquet and home-entertaining scene, especially in the Detroit area. ...

I contend that this is because it is from the weird little subset of Poles, Slovacks etc. whose familial line passed through the appalachain coal country for a generation or so. Hey maybe I'm wrong ...

Another link:

http://everything2.com/?node_i d=1257989
Various sources listed [city chicken] as Polish, Russian, and German in origin, but also called it a coal miner recipe. The coal towns of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan [sic], and more were almost exclusively populated by immigrants from those ethnic groups. Another source claimed the name came from when chicken was very expensive to ship (before refrigerated rail cars), and so city restaurants would make "faux chicken" or pass off their mystery meat as "city chicken." Given the fact that [the town the author was in in Ohio] was packed with Byzantine Catholic and Orthodox churches, and the names on almost every business were Slavic or Teutonic in origin, I figure the real story is somewhere in the middle.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when people had lots of kids, city chicken was a cheap way to feed them all. My husband still craves it now and again.

Rustic

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog -O54JwLMmc687bIwXLnes6xVymem6? p=605
The history of City chicken (aka mock chicken) is relatively easy to trace. The definative origin of the name continues to elude food historians. What we do know? This recipe calls western Pennsylvania "home."

The culinary evolution of City chicken:

"Mock" foods (foods that are named for an ingredient that isn't in the recipe) have a long an venerable history. ... Depression and World War II-era cooks created mock foods to stretch the budget and satisfy family tastes. ...

The Oxford English Dictionary does not have an entry for city chicken or mock chicken, but it does have an entry for "mock duck and mock goose." ... The OED traces this usage in print to 1877. ...

Late 19th and early 20th century American and English cookbooks contain many veal recipes. Veal loves (meatloaf!), veal cutlets, and roasts were popular. We find recipes for "veal birds" in depression-era cookbooks. ...

"Veal had never been an American meat staple...And though the amount ov veal we did geat fell off after the war [WWII], it was used occasionally (except by immigrants who liked it) as an inexpensive substitute for the desirable high-priced chicken or turkey, which where not yet being raised in huge numbers by poultry factories."
---Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads, Sylvia Lovegren [MacMillan:New York] 1995 (p. 142-3)

Curiously enough? German weiner schnitzel [breaded veal cutlets] morphed in the 1940s in many southern states into "chicken-fried steak." The recipe for "city chicken/mock chicken" is almost identical. The difference is that city chicken is made with pork and veal cubes (as opposed to a single type of meat). Our notes on chicken fried steak.

The earliest recipe we find for Mock Chicken legs [pork & veal cubes on a skewer, dipped in egg, rolled in breadcrumbs and sauteed) is from ... 1942. The earliest recipe we find for City Chicken [same recipe as mock chicken] is from 1946

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2,

The Polish Heritage Cookbook by Robert and Maria Strybel you show above is one of the absolute BEST. Not only do I have and use it but also gave copies to my late Mom and my Brother who makes a MEAN mushroom pierog for Christmas Eve. Smaczne!

And, yes city checken is a replacement for chicken which was WAY too expensive during the Depression. But believe it or not, when Mom was growing up in Hamtramck in the 20's and 30's they kept a few chickens out back though Mom hated to slaughter them. Years later, my Folks would still get fresh slaughtered chickens from a butcher in Hamt. whenever Mom made chicken soup. She always had them include the feet because she thought they added to the flavor and nutrition of the soup. She and Dad would gnaw on them, too! We kids mostly just played with them - making them dance on the countertop.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just FYI. There is a Czech & Slavic Festival going on in Dearborn Heights July 22nd and 23rd. Sure to have city chicken there.......

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer a murder burger (White Castle).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2384
Posted From: 4.229.105.114
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer "Kung-Pao" Chicken (Kung-Pao is Mandarin Chinese for "tastes like").... :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 586
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It figures!

Livedog2

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4044
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok and Mtm have just given us wonderful posts. Thanks for the relief. This is really an interesting thread.

To jjaba's knowledge, there's no such thing as "City Pastrami." Through poverty and wealth, Detroit Jews have enjoyed their pastrami.
Don't trust "turkey" pastrami, it must be something invented on the Eastside.

jjaba, eating a Woody Allen with Russian dressing.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's Top 10 Detroit City foods.

10. City chitterlings.
9. City turkey pastrami.
8. Grosse Pointe City Cosmpolitans.
7. Two on one City Coney Dogs.
6. City Half-sour Dill Pickles.
5. City Kowalski Blood Sausage.
4. City Sanders Hot Fudge Puffs with Butter Pecan.
3. City Brownie Root Beer.
2. Hamtramck City Dill Pickle Soup.
1. Frankenmeuth City Fried Chicken, all you can eat.

jjaba, drinking his City Egg Cream.

Rustic

Post Number: 2613
Posted From: 130.132.123.28
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba ... not too fast re pastrami ... on Iron Chef the other night a chef rolled out pastrami spices onto plastic sheets and wrapped them around lamb chops to make "pastrami"-ed lamb chops.

jjaba, I agree with you re this thread ... it took lots of different ingredients to make Detroit what it is ... even Polish tv-tray food reflects the subtle and circuitious routes followed by boomtown Detroit's migrant labor force.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, you've just given pastrami a bad name. Please say your post 2613 is some kinda private joke.

jjaba, Gimme a pastrami on swiss with Russian dressing for the long train ride home.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3480
Posted From: 68.74.6.86
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll agree with Angry_dad.

At least in Detroit, city chicken and mock chicken are two separate things.

In many old-time butcheries, they would be in the display cases side by side.

Personally, I love city chicken cooked correctly, mock chicken, I can't stand that texture of those mock drumsticks, yuck.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 153.90.110.121
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I'm in Montana. I really want some City Chicken right now. Now I'm hungry.

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.43.106.62
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy folks!

I'd just like to say that my favorite place for a plate of city chicken(with a side of sauerkraut and mashed potatoes) is Polonia on Yemans in Hamtramck. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 462
Posted From: 69.209.146.160
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is "city chicken?

Answer -- It is a fantastic, slavic treat, also popular on the west side of Cleveland.

Rustic

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I kid you not ... pastrami'ed lamb chops ... I saw it with my own eyes ...

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Chicken will be available at the Polish Festival July 14 15 16 at Freedom Hill the folks who sponsor the festival at the American Polish Century Club are getting ready to make homemade city chicken (golabki and pierogi too. Mmmmm

Mtm

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mountainman,

I did quite a search and can't find anyplace that can ship you a load of city chicken. I DID, though, find an old Detroit News article on Polish cuisine that also has a link to a city chicken recipe that looks pretty good: http://www.detnews.com/2005/ea tsdrinks/0510/27/G04-362427.ht m. It appears to be from the Strybel cookbook that I already recommended. Sorry if you have to make them from scratch but at least that's an option for you. Good Luck!

Mtm

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... as an aside, in the course of my search, I came across this ad that was in the window of Kosinski Hardware. Talk about truth in advertising! blush
kosinski hardware sign

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS, if any of you want to make it at home, most grocery stores in this area sell it out of the meat case already skewered and floured. (Does anyone cook at home anymore?)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6269
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, Gamblingman, I thought for sure that "city chicken" would mean something else entirely to you.

Livedog2

Post Number: 590
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It always comes down to that, doesn't it?

Livedog2

Mtm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!! People still do cook at home. I'm pretty good with golobki and my brother is GREAT with mushroom pierogi.

(One minor editorial: It makes me nuts (often not difficult) when people put and s on the end of pierogi! pierogi is already plural; singular, it's pierog. similarl for paczki day. if you only have one, its a paczek. "paczkis" is like saying donutses.)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1021
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's newses to me.

Mtm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always bring a couple dozen really GREAT paczki in to treat the office on Paczki Day and folks here have learned that, if they want one, they need to ask for it correctly. The education process is slow...

Gambling_man

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, I like my meat skewered and floured.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an annual pierogi festival coming up in a few weeks in Whiting, IN. It's a big deal in NW Indiana.

http://www.pierogifest.net/

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even better locally is the Sweetest Heart of Mary (on Russell in Detroit) Pierogi Festival August 12 and 13.

Livedog2

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call Royaloakian. And, the SH of M Pierogi Festival is the best!

sweetest

Livedog2

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 517
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Brandenburg is city chicken!

Livedog2

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's skewer and fry him if he's not too tough!

jack

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 4053
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, jjaba accepts your new explanation.

Pastrami-wrapped lamb chops has gotta be Eastside.

You won't see that anywhere over here.

jjaba, Westsider.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 694
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas serves a lamb pastrami sandwich!

Rustic

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba nope not pastrami wrapped lamb chops, lamb chops coated with pastrami spices to approximate the pastrami flavor into the chop itself. read it and weep.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, can you tell me anything about the word "slaboon"? My gramps was telling me about it, said it was sort of the derogatory name the slovaks used for themselves. He grew up on the eastside.

and city chicken, grew up with it at St. Chris on Tireman's september fest

Jjaba

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, Top Ten Places for pastrami spices.

10. Pastrami Dill pickles.
9. pastrami ice cream sundae.
8. Pastrami spices on a steak.
7. spicey buffalo burgers.
6. Pastrami Cokes.
5. Pastrami Vernor's Float.
4. Cheesey pastrami fries.
3. Chopped pastrami liver.
2. Pastrami egg salad on rye.
1. On a Jackie Gleason #4, pastrami and swiss with russian dressing on twice-baked rye.

jjaba.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure like threads like this. Each person who posts apparently doesn't read what anybody else has put up. Maybe it's a metaphor for America.

Livedog2

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares what anyone else says anyway because everything everyone says is for themselves anyway.

Livedog2

Rustic

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova, sorry not familiar with that term "slaboon". Sounds right tho, switch the b for a v and it becomes slavoon which sounds about right since "slavonic" is sometimes used instead of "slavic" to describe (some?) of the slavic peoples and languages --- slavic --> slav ... so slavonic --->> slavoon? Maybe? I dunno ...

for what it is worth check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S lavonic_languages

Look at all the different Slavic languages spoken. Metro Detroit probably has a good number of people whose roots go back to just about every one of these places. In addition you have regional dialects and also subsets of groups who arrived in Detroit from other areas (e.g. the coal country ones I keep harping about). All of this stuff got mixed up and jumbled together and has now been somewhat homogenized ...

Note that in additon to the Slavs those exact same places in eastern and central eurpoe also had significant Jewish, German, Hun, Turk, Romanian and Gypsy populations mixed in and smaller Italian, Armenian, Greek etc etc populations.

(Message edited by rustic on July 06, 2006)

Rustic

Post Number: 2627
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jibberjabber
from wikipedia link above

Rustic

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Detroit!

Mtm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outoftowner,

Didn't you post the exact same messge: "I sure like threads like this. Each person who posts apparently doesn't read what anybody else has put up. Maybe it's a metaphor for America." in another string? I'm having a real deja vu moment here because it sounds SO familiar and I think I've seen it multiple times. Well, if so, I guess its easy to just copy and paste your old messages over again than to really participate in the discussion.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 24.21.198.33
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have the recipe for City Chicken? Did it originate in Poland? Or somewhere else? Is it the same as Mock Chicken? Any City Chicken memories out there?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3488
Posted From: 68.248.81.155
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See above^^^^^^

All your questions will be answered :-)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic,
Is that a map of City Chicken consumption by country?

Rustic

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick, nope try this one
deer hunter
http://www.censusmapper.com/Sago_coal.htm

Gambling_man

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father's parents immigrated to Youngstown Ohio (just after the turn of the century), primarily to work at the steel mills. Not much work, however, until WWII.....They were Chech and Hungarian. PS, We ate city chicken at least once a week growing up, it was my father's favorite dish....that and fried bologna or fried spam....pretty much a toss-up between those two.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fried bologna with eggs. Now that's good eatin!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. This thread topic baffled me at first. I always thoiught "City Chicken" was a nickname for bum's eating fried pidgeon on a stick on the streets (Think MAD Magazine). But after seeing this thread the other day, I happened into a meat market at South Blvd. and Squirrel Road in Rochester hills area and they had "city chicken" for sale. It was chunks of meat on a stick (shish kebob style). Probably chicken and steak, but I didn't ask.

So, I guess that is what it is.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's a bum gonna get a deep fryer?
Mmmmmmmm.....squirrel.

Rustic

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

road squirrel .... even better!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 69.14.20.97
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outoftowner,

Didn't you post the exact same messge: "I sure like threads like this. Each person who posts apparently doesn't read what anybody else has put up. Maybe it's a metaphor for America." in another string? I'm having a real deja vu moment here because it sounds SO familiar and I think I've seen it multiple times. Well, if so, I guess its easy to just copy and paste your old messages over again than to really participate in the discussion.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Polish-American (with some, um...German Blood in me even though I shun it!), city-chicken is a delicacy that was and forever will be enjoyed at my household's table every Christmas Eve. As far as Sweetest Heart of Mary's pierogi(pe r'oggie) festival, trust me as a perishioner of St. Josephat's Church which shares Fr.Mark with Sweetest Heart of Mary's, it is well worth your time should you crave some Polish Culture.

Livedog2

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heading to Krakus Polish Restaurant on Jos Campau just North of Carpenter that’s on the Detroit side of the Hamtramck border, for "CITY CHICKEN", mashed potatoes, gravy, sauerkraut, rye bread 'n butter, cucumbers and onions with sour cream and kielbasa soup with “my tribe!”

krakus

Livedog2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.