Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » One of the worst days in Detroit sports history?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 71.201.190.23
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine made the comment that yesterday was one of the worst days in Detroit sports history; we lost our captain to retirement, the face of the Pistons left to join on of their biggest rivals and division foe; leaving the team in disarray and the Tigers lost…..the Lions are such a disappointment that they don’t even merit mention……..is he right, I don’t know, the Ben fiasco left me with a bitter taste in my mouth for him, his ego has gotten the best of him and Yzerman cannot play forever, but still, I for one am pretty depressed that we went from an unstoppable sports machine in 3 out of 4 sports to a big question in 3 out of 4.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

.....an unstoppable sports machine in 3 out of 4 sports

Only if you look at the Wings and Pistons' regular season. They were exposed as being very stoppable in the playoffs. If they ever want to get back to the finals, these steps are necessary, even if they are unpleasant for the fans.

I would characterize July 3, 2006 as being maybe the most bitterwseet day in Detroit sports history.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1164
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I think there's far too much emphasis on sports here. It's kind of like the city is living vicariously through the teams instead of just seeing games as friendly competition, so that when our sports teams don't do well the city attitude goes negative. There needs to be more to Detroit than sports, crime, and the auto industry.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although our hopes have been dashed, i.e. pistons and wings, we can at least take consolation in the fact our teams had the best season record in hockey, basketball and currently, baseball. How many other cities have that excellent combination?

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 69.209.191.165
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's kind of like the city is living vicariously through the teams instead of just seeing games as friendly competition

I would venture that living vicariously through our sports teams has a lot to do with why sports in general are popular. I think they call it "pride", or something.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say the last day of the 1967 baseball season after the riots when the Tigers fell just short of the pennant.
Now that had a major resonance in Detroit because of the team's presence with whites and blacks.
I also thought it was bad when Tommy Hearns lost to Sugar Ray Leonard after it seemed he had him on the ropes earlier in the fight.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1165
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But sports seem a lot more popular in Detroit than in other cities. When the sports teams fall short (or perpetually suck) and that's about the only place the city looks to for validation it's not healthy.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3845
Posted From: 68.40.111.105
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think in five years we will look at Ben Wallace's departure in similiar light to Grant Hill's exit.

As Milt Pappas said after being traded for Frank Robinson, you can't evaluate a trade (or other roster move) the day or week after but years later. For instance, in that deal the Reds received a servicable starting pitcher and Baltimore got one of the game's greatest all-time players.

Chicago fans may find Ben Wallace at this price is a big cap hit to swallow in a couple years as his skills diminish.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.221.73.179
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would nominate Chuck Hughes' death and Mike Utley's paralysis as two of the worst days for Detroit sports history. Everything else is pretty minor.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4050
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben Wallace leaves. Pistons are worth more parted out than as a whole. Demise of Pistons predicted.
Reminds jjaba of the Fla. Marlins after they won World Series.

You heard it here first.

jjaba, turn out the lights the party's over, folks.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.14.45.237
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amazed at how many people are lumping Yzerman's retirement and Wallace's departure together, as if they were of the same magnitude. Wallace was, when compared to Yzerman, only with the Pistons for a short time, and although he was on the championship team a couple of years ago, he only won one title here. Yzerman was the face of Detroit sports for the past decade, no questions asked, and it seems insulting to him to group his departure with Wallace's. They're in different leagues, and Yzerman's retirement will leave a much larger void to fill in Detroit sports than will Wallace's.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.136.139.115
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i rate ben wallace's departure as more devastating because the piston's are still in their prime. steve yzerman and the wings on the other hand have stopped competing for the cup for four years now. stevie had to retire sooner or later. i could at least guess that it would be sometime this summer. but ben wallace leaving the pistons really caught me off guard.

i dont think that ben will be the same on another team- and the pistons won't be the same without ben wallace. ben and the pistons were a match made in heaven. he'll be the same great rebounder/defender but he won't have the same success that he had here. it was no accident that he started being great only after he came to detroit.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, but Steve Yzerman was in Detroit for 23 YEARS!!!! (not counting lock-out). He stayed through thick & thin, suffered through injuries that would probably KILL most of us here, and kept his dignity and class through it all. He more than likely could have made more money on other teams, but the fact stands is, he didn't leave. Sports fans of Detroit looked to classy guys like Yzerman, Sanders, Kaline, Thomas, etc etc etc for simple release through difficult times. 'Nuff said. Wallace wouldn't make a pimple on Yzerman's ass.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3386
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very unfortunate that both of these events happened on the same day. They're two entirely different events that deserve their own breadth & scope to sink in.

Sports for many Detroit fans has its amazing ups and its horrific lows. We ride them out and we try not to let the highs get us too high and we try not to bottom out too terribly during moments like this (we can lump in many a Lions season with this as well). Sports give perpetual hope in down times and give us great civic pride when things are well.

It's an easy thing for people, not just Detroiters to rally behind. Look at the current World Cup- look at how those countries (not just cities) cheer their teams onward. Sports are a part of our culture and while it may serve no higher calling than offer entertainment and prove physical skills- they're intertwined into our fabric now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.