Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Michigan Chronicle Ad « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 66.174.79.232
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060707/P OLITICS/607070353

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060707/NEW S06/607070349

Thoughts?

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 452
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classy.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1731
Posted From: 69.217.229.88
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see - all of the newspaper coverage contained a quote from DeVos. The Freep even included a photograph of him. The News re-ran a portion of the ad in their article (that's a few grand in free publicity right there).

The PAC that ran the ad refuses to tell anyone where the money for it came from, in spite of a legal requirement to do so.

Yeah, the MDP's assertion that DeVos is behind this one is totally unfounded.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1850
Posted From: 69.221.37.93
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only ad I see is the one shown on the top of the News story, and it looks pretty clean and well stated to me. Obviously, associating Granholm and a Nazi regime is stupid, and it certainly does not help the advertisers to get across their very valid point.

Fnemecek, what would the penalty be if they didn't tell who gave the dollars? And in spite of any penalty, the ad has been run, the damage done.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They face a fine for not filing campaign finance reports that outline who paid for it.

Of course, if you've inherited a few billion - you're not worrying about a fine of a hundred.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1852
Posted From: 69.221.37.93
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're pretty adamant that Devos funded this? Deep down he may think that this will advance his chances of winning, but do you think he would pay for something that supposedly has nazi symbols on it?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not adamant. I'm just suspicious.

Very, very suspicious.

You can call me paranoid, but it comes from working on 20+ political campaigns.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget, folks, that the Michigan Chronicle endorsed Engler for several elections.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 68.250.214.33
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same group that funded the "lynching" anti-Hendrix ad in the chronicle?

Either way any use of Nazi symbolism, other than to show ugly history of the Nazi Party/Holocaut/WWII, is in poor taste.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only ad I see is the one shown on the top of the News story, and it looks pretty clean and well stated to me.

They aren't displaying the full ad.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 435
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's see - all of the newspaper coverage contained a quote from DeVos. The Freep even included a photograph of him. The News re-ran a portion of the ad in their article (that's a few grand in free publicity right there).

The PAC that ran the ad refuses to tell anyone where the money for it came from, in spite of a legal requirement to do so.

So I guess that anti-Hendrix ad that ran in the Michigan Citizen last year that featured images of black men being lynched MUST have been paid for by Kwame Kilpatrick himself, right? The same logic applies. Or is it out of the realm of possibility that there are zealots out there on both sides who take it upon themselves to make asses out of themselves?

Honestly, if you think this is "good" publicity for DeVos, you are crazy. This will look like mudslinging to anyone with a brain, this type of publicity only hurts DeVos. I doubt he is that stupid, but I don't doubt that there are extremists out there who support DeVos who WOULD do something like this. I don't think that Dick DeVos micromanages every aspect of his supporters' efforts, I'll chalk this up to some of his clueless supporters.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1741
Posted From: 70.236.173.16
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So I guess that anti-Hendrix ad that ran in the Michigan Citizen last year that featured images of black men being lynched MUST have been paid for by Kwame Kilpatrick himself, right? The same logic applies.

Excellent point. From a logical standpoint, you are totally correct.

But I'm still suspicious.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 783
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just when you think people can't get more stupid, something like this comes along.
Disappointing that it shows up in the Chronicle.
I thought they'd be discerning.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adolph Mongo is scum. Deplorable man. The Karl Rove of race-baiting politics.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 852
Posted From: 69.14.20.97
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so, if there's a murder, and all the newspaper coverage features a quote by the victim's mother - with one paper even including a photograph of her - that's sufficient enough to make her a prime suspect? fnemecek, you're pretty smart, but that's some blown-out and ridiculous reasoning. consider also, how would it have looked if devos had NOT addressed the issue publicly? it would have been even worse - so no matter what devos does, you get to spring your bias into action and cast aspersions on the candidate.

now, did you ever consider that if you enraged someone, then commanded them NOT do to something - they'll be so mad at you, they'll do just the opposite? people are certainly expecting backlash here, and this may be a brilliant strategy of reverse psychology deliberately concocted to work for jennifer granholm.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What next? DeVos reaching out to Bobby Ferguson and his thugs to deliver the street vote? I can see them standing outside the precincts telling voters to vote the "black slate".

This Nataki Harbin is bought and sold.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I thought we had freedom of the press. Although I find the ad in poor taste, it is part of freedom.

Comparing this ad to anything Nazi is worse. This ad doesn't murder millions of innocents and to compare trivial lunacy to Nazism is an affront to those who suffered due to the Nazi pogroms. The last resort of scoundrels today is to compare something this banal to Nazi actions.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1743
Posted From: 70.236.144.63
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat:
No one is comparing the ad to Nazis. The ad itself used images of Adolf Hitler and the swastika; comparing Governor Granholm to the Nazis.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1744
Posted From: 70.236.144.63
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so, if there's a murder, and all the newspaper coverage features a quote by the victim's mother - with one paper even including a photograph of her - that's sufficient enough to make her a prime suspect?

#1. Dick DeVos isn't the victim here. He wasn't the one that the ad was comparing to the Nazis.

#2. Dick DeVos is generally a weasel. Being suspicious of his involvement comes naturally.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 854
Posted From: 69.14.20.97
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[***begin fnemecek spew***]

[***end fnemecek spew***]

quote:

quote:

so, if there's a murder, and all the newspaper coverage features a quote by the victim's mother - with one paper even including a photograph of her - that's sufficient enough to make her a prime suspect?

#1. Dick DeVos isn't the victim here. He wasn't the one that the ad was comparing to the Nazis.

#2. Dick DeVos is generally a weasel. Being suspicious of his involvement comes naturally.

#1. fnemecek, are you smoking the dope, or trying to waste my time? it's very clear how the comparisons are laid out, since i used an analogy which tied directly to your ridiculous hypothesis - which i also quoted for you, so you could see the parallels.

futhermore, in another egregious lapse of logic on your behalf, you say "devos isn't the victim here." there is a very strong possibility that he is, but pragmatism seems to be obviated by your emotions here...

#2. fnemecek, weasels are to politics as baseballs are to baseball. granholm - mcnamara machinist extraordinare - hardly comes to the table with clean hands.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2730
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, that media lynch mob advertisement was in the Michigan CHRONICLE, not the Michigan Citizen. Please don't confuse the two newspapers. Everyone knows that the Michigan CHRONICLE is pro-Republican and pro-Kwame.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everyone knows what you (Margaret) stated about those two rags, then why inform us about something we already know?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 529
Posted From: 68.74.11.167
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chronicle is not a Republican paper although it has on occasion endorsed Republican candidates and editorialized in favor of Republican initiatives. I think that such discernment is refreshing in Detroit politics.

I don't think that Mr. Mongo is a scumbag, but he is a master at pushing political hot buttons - often offensively so - and getting under the skin of the political establishment. This latest broadside seems kind of pointless to me though. The fallout is definitely not pro-Detroit.

I know that Rasputin has spoken with Mr. Mongo about the ad. He could provide us with the inside story.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1169
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

entire ad

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When the great American athlete Jesse Owens in 1936 was ask why he was..."

"For over fifty years, the Democratic leadership condescending attitudes..."

"Dependency on welfare and other social programs that have stifle the growth of black families"

Holy shit, I can't even go on...what, no proofreaders at Voice the Vote? This could possibly be the WORST ad I've ever read. I can't believe someone paid for it, but clearly didn't use someone who knows how to write.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus: I was going to say the same thing but didn't want to appear to be doing the "teacher" lecture.....Obviously, someone wasn't paying attention in English class nor was the person who hired him/her.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1174
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reads like an education trying to pose as uneducated through use of stereotypical errors

DeVos Has Prior Hitler Ad Connection

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1745
Posted From: 70.227.207.15
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you mean DeVos has done this crap before?

I am sooooo suprised.

Next thing you know, y'all will be telling me that his "Turnaround Plan" is nothing but empty sound bites with no real substance behind them.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1746
Posted From: 70.227.207.15
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

futhermore, in another egregious lapse of logic on your behalf, you say "devos isn't the victim here." there is a very strong possibility that he is...

Oh, really? Was it his name and face that the image linked with Adolph Hitler?

Try again.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1609
Posted From: 70.229.255.166
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MONGO = SCUMBAG, probably not too many people will argue that point. However, the man is on point when he states;

quote:

"I'm encouraging people to make a choice. Detroit has been a one-party state for too long," he said. "We are expected to follow the party regardless of how they treat us and don't do anything in the city. This has nothing to do with being racist. It has to do with getting respect."

The truth is most black folks stick with the democratic party, not because it is better than the republican party, but because it is not as bad as the republican party.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10298
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a thought, the ad, just like the lynching ad, was not paid for by anybody. Have you ever thought that maybe when these controversial ads pop up that it is nothing more than the work of the paper itself? Possibly even their way of discretely endorsing the canidate they want, while at the same time trying to hurt the reputation of the one they are against? In turn, their papers, which are much lower circulation publications, get covered by the bigger papers across town.

I'm not buying into the whole "somebody secretly paid for it," for the simply fact that if a paper trail was ever traced back to a canidate they would be toast. The publication itself however, they have the means to better cover their tracks.

As for JMil, he's a republican at heart. :-)

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1610
Posted From: 70.229.255.166
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for JMil, he's a republican at heart." LOL
You stooopid!

I guess that button ("I Like Dick") you have been wearing is in support of Devos.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.