Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Evangelical Deaconess Hospital « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.208.245.82
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried to physically locate Deaconess Hospital, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any information on this facility? Thanks.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2646
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it mergered with Henry Ford. I pass by frequently but can't remember if it's still open. A mind is a terrible thing.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6296
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mullet

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2412
Posted From: 4.229.72.29
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the words of Ernie Harwell.... it's long gone.... (demo'ed in the 1980's IIRC)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2647
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is? I thought it was still there, or at least the building is. What am I thinking of, Doctor's Hospital?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1328
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deaconess Hospital was located in the 3200 block of East Jefferson on the North side of the street, and Doctors hospital was located on the SW corner of East Jefferson and Joe Campau. Doctor's Hospital and Deaconess are both "long gone". I took a fair share of depostitions at each medical facility.
Doctor's Hospital was originally called Michigan Muytual Hospital as the Mich. Mutual Insurance Co ( of late on W Grand Circus Park) had a very large workers' comp department and thus had its own hospital til the insurance dept of Michigan told them to diverst itself of the hospital.
Dr. Joe Burke was a staff physician on the board of Deaconess and after they went belly-up, Dr. Burke moved to and established the Burke Clicic which tody is still located next to the Players on East Jefferson.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, you may be thinking of Blain Hospital or Clinic. it was in that general area on the north side of Jefferson. I believe part of it used to be an old, rose brick, two-story structure with a large curved bay or turret on its southeast corner. That part is now torn down and the Police Gaming Unit uses the newer section of the building.

Doctors' Hospital was on the south side of Jefferson just west of the Garden Court Apartment building. The front, older section of Doctors' was a heavy grey stone structure that looked like it could have been one of the Jefferson Ave. mansions at one time; but I don't think it actually was. It was torn down a few years ago. The much debated new Staples is being built on the site.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1329
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr---You are bringing back fond memories for me as I was born in that that "old rose brick section" of "Blain Clinic" described ( accurately ) by you.
Actually that section of the clinic was called the East Jefrferson Diagnostic Center, but it became the home of three generations of Blain physicians. I happened to meet the "third generation" Dr. Blains in February of this year. He is now retired.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6298
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the original name of Riverview Hospital, "Jennings Blain Memorial?"

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1301
Posted From: 63.157.66.218
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deaconess Hospital 1922

1922 Sanborn, E Jefferson near Elmwood.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River rat has many wonderful memories of Deaconess Hospital on East Jeff at Elmwood. it was a very nice place in the early sixties when river rat spent time at the Student Nurses residence next door. Not as a student mind you, but dating many very intelligent and attractive young women who were enrolled there. It was an old time dorm with strict curfews and rules which the river rat did his best to circumvent.

Many of the young women who were there in the early sixties went on to significant roles in the medical community of the city as well as contributing to the social welfare of the city.

I remember at least four hospitals east of the CBD on Jefferson. They were Alexander Blaine, Doctor's, Deaconess and another just east of Grand Blvd. In addition, there were several small hospitals on E. Grand Blvd off Jeff.

river rat the roue

Rossco

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the area today, and could not find Elmwood St as indicated on the above map, but wondered if Deaconess was directly west and adjacent to "The Players Playhouse"?

River_rat

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rossco. The answer to your question is yes. There was the Burke Clinic and Nurses Residence between the Players and the actual hospital building. The reidence and the hospital were physically connected but were originally separate buildings. the other side of the Players used to be Kirwin Lighting.

river rat

Rossco

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born there in 1969, and I know there wasn't a mix-up at the hospital since I was the only white baby at the hospital. lol Yes the hospital was directly west of the Players Building. I often joke that I was born at the site of the Battle of Bloody Run. They just built new buildings on the site.

River_rat

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a long term hospital director at Deaconess named Reverend Grathwohl (sp?) as it remained a religiously affilliated hospital well into the sixties. A fine man committed to community service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.