Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Why no hate for macomb? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 549
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an avid Oakland County hater for numerous reasons, some personal, and I was raised in Macomb, but you never see the hate for macomb like you do on here for Oakland wuz up wit dat?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1176
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody hates Oakland because Oakland has always been the one with the money.

There are other places now with money but they're still new enough that the hate hasn't transferred yet.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1161
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're 19 or so. What reasons have you invented in your mind to dislike a whole county ?

We don't have a County Executive to say stupid shit. We have traditionally been more blue-collar....and we don't have a Jewish population to blame things on.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HHAAHAHHA bongman i'm much older than 19, however I often feel threatened by the establishment in Oakland County and my friends and I were treated VERY UNFAIRLY IN THE Rochester courts. I also really dislike Brooks and I really dislike the boring-anti Detroit mentality of Oakland.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4513
Posted From: 71.65.20.239
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some hate bashings going on Macomb County for years. If you go to Warren. Some folks there don't want any blacks living in their communities.

Bongman

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true Danny. We actually had a block-alert in our neighborhood....and it rang every time those black guys distributing hand-bills came by.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1705
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really it's a completely different kind of hate. We hate Oakland County because they hold the economic power right now. We hate Macomb County because it is just so fucked up and wrong, there's really no place to even begin. There are a lot of cool people from there, but being in the MC is like being on another planet. A sprawled, characterless, trashy planet.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 69.212.33.235
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo to the East Side

Sarabara
Username: Sarabara

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.41.61.223
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland hates Macomb. (and Macomb hates Oakland) Just the northern extension of the whole Eastside / Westside thing.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1859
Posted From: 70.141.182.220
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just make a blanket statement for everything north of 8-mile, Chitaku, because I dislike both counties. The reasons for this are many, not the least of which is them both having one of the ugliest built environments in this nation (outside of a couple towns within them), and having too many people which are ignorant and undercultered. Macomb has generally been seen as inferior simply because there are more white trash there, so as a result Macomb has tried to emulate Oakland by becoming more materialistic and crass, hyping their new 'upscale developments' in the form of mcmansions and malls to prove their worthiness. This is very sad.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2406
Posted From: 4.229.72.29
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw geez, not another hate thread....

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

macomb county is the same as wayne county except for less black people, quit whining over stupid shit

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Macomb does have pretty low taxes and very nice, wide roads. You don't have to pay a ton to get 2,000 square feet, and they even have a stretch of lakefront. They also have Saint Claire Shores--the lovely extension of GP Woods beyond 8-mile (which would probably rather be adopted by Macomb County anyway.)

See, it's only constructive criticism.

Gistok

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... thanks Mackinaw...

Unlike some of its nearby Macomb Co. neighbors, St. Clair Shores is nicer today than it was 20 years ago. I have been noticing a lot of tear-downs lately in the neighborhoods, where people buy the cheapest house on the block, and build anew. And there has been a lot of new retail activity (besides the big box Rite-Aid, Walgreen and CVS stores).

The "nautical" motifs of the "Nautical Mile" (Jefferson between 9 & 10 Mile) have been showing up with new landscaping and lighting on Harper and the Mile roads.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nautical Mile has got some nice places to go to...big fan of Jack's here.

Gistok, I can't believe that you wouldn't get tired of the uninspired/uninspiring architecture that prevails in this area, in addition to the primary commercial strips generally bowing to the car, rather than being pedestrian friendly and having that 'main street USA' feel. Look at 9/Mack...when they re-did it, they narrowed the street (pointless in this case) so that they could put parking lagoons in front of the stores. Whether it's Little Mack or Greater Mark or Harper, charm seems to lack everywhere, and as we all know, this problem only worsens as you head into Warren or further north into Macomb.

Gistok

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I live near 11 & I-94/I-696. 10 minutes to Oakland County, 15 minutes to downtown, 3 minutes to the waterfront...

In Macomb County, I usually don't travel west of Gratiot, nor north of 13 Mile...

When I get that Architecturally depraved feel... I take a jaunt down Lakeshore in the Pointes. When I have an urge for "faux nautical kitsch", I drive along Jefferson in the Shores and Harrison Twp...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3501
Posted From: 69.209.165.116
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial H said

"There are a lot of cool people from there, but being in the MC is like being on another planet. A sprawled, characterless, trashy planet."

The I guess that makes Detroit a ghetto wasteland and Ferndale Detroit's tacky version of San Fran?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1597
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone sucks. Not to be negative or anything.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1013
Posted From: 68.255.239.23
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why no hate for Downriver?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, pull it together. There is absolutely nothing in Ferndale that remotely resembles San Francisco.

Patrick

Post Number: 3502
Posted From: 69.209.165.116
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial, when you said "We hate Macomb County"...who did you mean? Who are you speaking for? Who is we?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 70.236.163.239
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dial, when you said "We hate Macomb County"...who did you mean? Who are you speaking for? Who is we?

Seriously, what do you mean "we" Kemosabe?

Gistok

Post Number: 2416
Posted From: 4.229.105.170
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who bash the suburbs are surprisingly no different than people who bash Detroit.

All parts of Metro Detroit have their good and bad sides.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 08, 2006)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean this is a fun environment. WE like poking fun @ parts of the metro area

and the stereotype or perception is that Macomb is undiverse, sprawled out, and a waste of time. Oakland may hold the waspy birmingham folks with their "suburbs with character" but it also has lots of middle-upper class black people (southfied/west bloomfield), Chaldeans(southfield/w.bloomfi eld), Jews(w. bloomfield, franklin, farmington), Indians(farmington), Asians(troy), etc etc

Macomb is the same thing street after street...I think Mackinaw put it perfectly "The reasons for this are many, not the least of which is them both having one of the ugliest built environments in this nation (outside of a couple towns within them), and having too many people which are ignorant and undercultered. Macomb has generally been seen as inferior simply because there are more white trash there, so as a result Macomb has tried to emulate Oakland by becoming more materialistic and crass, hyping their new 'upscale developments' in the form of mcmansions and malls to prove their worthiness. This is very sad."

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 4.229.57.93
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the northern part of Macomb County, but Eastpointe has quite a few black residents. So does south Warren. My sister and her family used to live there and my niece attended school there for a couple of years. There was a lot more racial and ethnic diversity in that school than I've seen anywhere in the Detroit area, with the exception of Hamtramck. According to the stats on the Great Schools website, my niece's school is 63 percent white, 23 percent black, 9 percent Asian, 4 percent Hispanic, and 1 percent American Indian. I don't know if the Middle Eastern kids are counted as white or Asian, but there were quite a few of them there. I don't know if this diversity will spread to other parts of Warren or not. At the time my sister moved out, it seemed that everyone else was moving out too, mostly due to economic circumstances.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb Co. was traditionaly farmlands up until GM built the tech center in the 50's, with the exception of south warren. From 9 mile south in warren the homes were built by people who could not afford to build thier homes up to code in the city of Detroit prior to WWII. That is why today there are many tar paper shacks around 9 and Van Dyke. Because of this Macomb Co. has always suffered from a country bumpkin/ redneck mentality. Then Reagan was elected and the "Reagan Demacrats" became to the 80's what the "Soccer Moms" were to the 90's. Damn them all!!!!!!!!!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 72.229.136.103
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why hate. There is a word called rivaly. This is a very negative region.

Long live DETROIT............if there wasn't a Detroit there would be no MC or OC.313

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Brother 313...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 72.229.136.103
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankx Detroitej72.........

As for the others, remember Detroit was named the model city in 1968 a year after the nation's worst race riot took place.......makes you think how nice the city had to be.

It wasn't until Coleman Young's last two terms that the city took a hard left.

CAY was actually holding the city together his first two terms.

Anyway I like the way the region is shaping out. And the MC is looking great, wide open spaces, great parks, schools, retail.

It's a young area, it's not supposed to have a personality yet. Give it time, it will have it's own idenitity soon enough. 313

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed it is a negative region, and it sure would help if people would rally around the central city and at least bring back a regional pride that centers on Detroit. Well said 313.

Gistok, you should really try the south of 8-mile lifestyle on for size. But heck I get on edge as soon as I get north of Moross.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or do you mean east of Moross? Goddamn Eastside and their non-straight streets.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should rename this place the "Silky Johnson" forum for all the player-hating that goes on. It seems many in here will hate anything that isn't in Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroitej72: "Macomb Co. was traditionaly farmlands up until GM built the tech center in the 50's....."

The truth is that Macomb County farmlands started disappearing well before the start of World War Two. The Dodge Truck Plant on Mound Rd. was built in 1938 and the Tank Arsenal on Van Dyke was built in 1940. By 1950, the entire industrial corridor south of 12 Mile Road between Mound and Van Dyke was developed with all of the major factories that exist today. The same can be said for the industrial shops located along Hoover and Groesbeck, south of 9 Mile Road. The construction of the GM Tech Center just continued a trend that was already well established.

quote:

Detroit313: "remember Detroit was named the model city in 1968 a year after the nation's worst race riot took place.......makes you think how nice the city had to be."

In late 1966, the U.S. Congress approved the "Model Cities Program", which was a Federal urban aid program created in response to already widespread urban violence and the failures of earlier Urban Renewal programs. The Program's objective was to help create "Model Cities", not to identify cities that were "Models". The truth is that it was no honor to be named a "Model City".

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 861
Posted From: 4.229.54.84
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

class envy

Patrick

Post Number: 3503
Posted From: 69.209.176.172
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am willing to bet that Warren Mott High School is the most diverse in metro Detroit. They have a bit of everything and that is a good thing.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 765
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Drm, lets not just hate on a northernly slant, we need to spread hate downriver and to the west.

Nothing grows an area like hate and envy.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1865
Posted From: 69.221.32.63
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I know it, Focus. Moross starts running SE from Kelly to the lake, so you could say either. To be specific, McMillan road in GP Farms is the last road which goes basically north-south, following the pattern established starting from downtown. Beyond here, in accordance with the bend in the lakeshore just past the War Memorial, streets go on that angular pattern, before becoming east-west by the time you get to 8-mile. Unfortunately, once you get past Moross, you start to see sprawl patterns, since most of Grosse Pointe Woods and Shores are post-1950...therefore it's easy for someone like me to get lost on those winding streets which lead to nothing.

Gistok

Post Number: 2421
Posted From: 4.229.72.20
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw.... here's a statistic that will make Fnemecek cringe..... where I live I have 4 minute 911 police response time.... I've been spoiled by that and by no city taxes. When I moved to SCS in 1990, the money I saved in no City taxes gave me enough extra disposable income to take a 2 week vacation every year.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 09, 2006)

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 66.174.79.229
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting because I think any major metropolitan area has its regional differences/pride/dislike, etc. For instance, I spent some time in DC, and people in MD disliked VA and vice versa. While it did not reach the level of "hatred," there was a definite dislike for other areas for whatever reasons (higher taxes in VA for example)

The curious thing is that, the primary distinction in the Detroit area is that geography has been synonymous with race, which probably lends itself to the vehement feelings of "regionalism" we are all so familiar with (at least for the last 40 years or so).

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 4.229.72.192
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Macomb town with an interesting name:

http://shelbyhistory.tripod.co m/id29.html

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1866
Posted From: 71.148.31.60
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No city taxes, Gistok? How does that happen? What about schools, water?...

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I meant "we" as in the royal "we."

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3728
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it, you folk always speak of HATE? and use the term as if it's supposed to be the end-all description of an emotion??? Is that some inherent family/cultural thing??

Bongman ----> "dislike", way to change the tone. Kudos!!

Black-atcha .....

Brandonz
Username: Brandonz

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.40.195.29
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of hate, not having grown up on this side of the state, I always hear reference to an East Side/West Side rivalry. I have yet to understand what the supposed/perceived/actual differences/stereotypes are between the two halves of the city. It also seems hard to generalize them at all... the West side has, uh, Brightmoor, Rosedale Park, and Mexicantown... the East Side has everything from Eastern Market to former Poletown to Indian Village to vast areas whose names I know not. The two "halves" seem to generally have more in common with one another than they do with, say, Midtown/Downtown/New Center... what's the story?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1666
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it is Brandonz. Why the division between A2 and Ypsi? They have more in common than pretty much any other area of the state. They're pretty similar divisions I'd say.

(Message edited by BVos on July 11, 2006)

Brandonz

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, well Ann Arbor and Ypsi have rather strikingly different characters, in my mind. Much of the tension, I think, is based on economic/racial differences, as well as perception by Ypsilantians, not always off-base, of a disdain/pity/fear exhibited toward their city by many Ann Arborites. Moreover, there do seem to be some real cultural differences, Depot Town aside...

...my point being, in my mind, I can actually perceive real general differences between the two cities, being small enough as they are, but I don't have a sense about what generalizations anyone can make about such vast geographic areas with so many very diverse neighborhoods as the east and west sides of Detroit. I don't quite understand what denizens of the whole area East or West of Woodward feel they have in common with the other dozens of neighborhoods on their side of the road, and how they perceive it to be different than the other. Surely native Detroiters must have some sense of this?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandonz - I would say that it is the result of two major factors:
a) years of migration patterns that generally flowed outward in a radial fashion. Eastsiders tended to stay on the east side as they and their children bought homes further away from downtown, and ditto for westsiders. Woodward made for a convenient demarcation line in the minds of most long-time residents.
b) eastsider and westsiders had their own self-contained neighborhoods and they all went downtown for shopping and entertainment that couldn't be found in their own side of town.

I think that the Eastside vs. Westside "rivalry" was more a sense of pride in one's neighborhood roots.

Bvos

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same "noticable" differences you gave for AA and Ypsi are ones that I would give between west and east. As a native Detroit now working in the AA/Ypsi area I hear and see folks with the attitudues you speak of but don't see them in reality. I'd say it's more a psychological thing for both sides.

The eastside has traditionally been seen as blue collar, immigrant/migrant, high school diploma (if that), lower middle class (and still kept its lower middle class attitude despite union wages) with little value for planning, asthetics and other "non-essential" things. Many of the same characteristics could also apply to Downriver, but with much heavier industry than the eastside.

The west side has traditionally been seen as the realm of white collar, professional folks, many with advanced education. It's also been the home of the Jewish population in Metro Detroit as well. Follow the Woodward and/or Lodge Fwy corridor and you follow the money in Metro Detroit.

I personally notice a big difference in attitude between westside and eastside folks. This is from someone who grew up on the eastside and now lives on the westside.

Brandonz

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, is this more a historical differentiation? Moreover, was it mainly a distinction among Whites? Is either side more noticably "professional" or "working-class" today, with the vast citywide disinvestment that has taken place over the past 50 years? The, uh, economic/class status of average neighborhood on the East side appears rather indistinguishable from the average neighborhood on the West side today, in my eyes. Is this a fair assessment, or am I just not paying enough attention?

Bvos

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right in that it's probably more historical. The eastside is slowly gaining more educated folks and seeing their income level rise, but I bet if you check the census stats (too bad SEMCOG doesn't do Eastside/Westside stats!) you'll see that the westside has more education and money than the eastside.

I know the East/West think still applies in the city of Detroit.

Danny

Post Number: 4535
Posted From: 141.217.84.91
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

The neigborhoods of St. Clair Shores is mostly ranch homes made for Middle-Income families. But some of the ranch homes are being torn down are remodled into to colonials for bigger families. Mostly these project occuring at the Nautical Mile area of Jefferson Ave. ( Lake Shore Drive).

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just moved from Hamtramck to Mount Clemens and couldn't be happier. To each their own.

Bongman

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some cool history in Macomb County if you do some digging. I never knew about the Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal until I lived in the area. The Moravian Indians, railroad lines, Crocker House, the Waldenburg settlement, old saw mills. Check out this pic of The Clem...
http://www.macomb.lib.mi.us/MO UNTCLEMENS/birdseye.htm

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 146.9.52.15
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate everyone equally.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6355
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you hate me more, right?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw - you just lost all credibility when you called jacks a "cool place."

seriously, you people kill me with the arrogannt attitude that SE michigan is so unique. have you ever been to other regions? there are suburbs all over this country that are no different than macomb and oakland.

the thing that gets me the most is the blanket statement that macomb has no culture. just spending an afternnoon at the DIA, or the science center doesn't instantly qualify you as well rounded. there is a much higher percentage of children in the suburbs who are involved in music, art, dance, theater etc.. There are several art centers, libraries, book stores, etc. Even Warren has it's own symphony! Lets give them some credit.

until you people realize that this whole region (macomb, oakland, and downriver included) is "Detroit" to the rest of the world, you are a huge part of the problem.

Danny

Post Number: 4544
Posted From: 141.217.84.91
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried,

Those folks don't want a "HIP to HOP" culture in their cities. It would cause their property tax base to become higher than Wayne and Oakland County combined. Their neighborhoods is good as is as long as they deal with the mating fishfly season. Macomb Co. neigborhoods are peace and quite then ever and let it keep that way.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1660
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Check out this pic of The Clem...

You just like it because the map was produced by J.J. Stoner...right Bongman?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in Wayne, Oakland, Livingston, Ingham, Jackson, Washtenaw, and Macomb County and there are good aspects to all of them. I probably liked Wayne and Oakland the best, but Macomb has some good (and bad) attributes to it.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 68.42.133.85
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm too busy to hate, but if I had more time, I'm sure I would loath Maccomb County.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 68.42.133.85
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't anyone alarmed by the fact that a struggling, middle-class county like Oakland gets painted around here as "rich" with "all the money and power." I guess its because in comparison to the cesspool of Wayne County and Macomb County, it must seem that way.

It's almost quaint. You guys understand of course, that the concentrations of wealth and power on the coasts could eat Oakland County for lunch and fart it out by 2:00.

You know this fairy tale that Oakland County is the richest county in America? It's an urban legend. It's not even close.

And while we sit here debating which of our dying, dead-end post-industrial counties is the most "rich and powerful" our economic rivals in places like China are massing human and economic capital on a scale that defies imagination.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.