Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ultimate Frisbee in metro area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kevdog
Username: Kevdog

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.249.237.43
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, does anyone have some contact info for an ultimate frisbee league anywhere near Wayne State? I'm willing to drive further if there's not one right around here. I'm looking to join a team, and I'm a fairly decent player. Contacts for a pick-up soccer league would be great, too. Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks!

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 75.7.139.241
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm always up for a game, but I can't tell you anything about where organized teams exist. I've got a bunch of friends who would also be down with some pick-up games.

Gmail me at christopher.b.schneider@

Ryo
Username: Ryo

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 75.7.134.11
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you consider Dearborn to be "anywhere near Wayne State", there's pickup ultimate at the ford field on Cherry Hill every tuesday at 6pm during the daylight saving months. clicky-> http://mypeoplepc.com/members/ tleone/ult/

Otherwise, there are leagues of varying intensity in Southfield and Ann Arbor.

But you could count me in the "interested" column for some 482** pickup ultimate.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dearborn one is a good one if you're a beginner. I played there 2-3 years ago.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3423
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be worthwhile to post something like this on Craigslist under the Community Activities section. I just joined a softball league this year off of it this year and they do list all sorts of things to do and try out.

Scardetroit
Username: Scardetroit

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 63.236.225.250
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pickup soccer on Belle Isle on the field inside the track (by the rest of the ball fields) every Wed. at 6pm and Sat. at 1pm.

There is also pickup soccer at Wayne State on Mondays in the fields near Trumbull and Warren (not sure when this one is, but I would assume it is in the evening as well).

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6134
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the oldest courses is out in Royal Oak just north of 12 Mile Rd. between Main St. and Rochester Road...I just played it a few weeks ago, my first time.

They could use a little tidying up the signage to clarify the locations of the 'holes', but it was still a fun couple hours of remembering why I had to be high to enjoy frisbee.

Never would've thought to make an aiming game out of it, though. Heh. Bound to be someone who's made it an extreme sport with a little dodgeball action thrown in.

But on their main billboard, at the northeastern corner of that park, there is a listing and contact information for their league...and it's not a bad drive from Wayne State.

Sounds like something we need to organize and add to a few parks in the city, though, like Belle Isle...at the very least.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3433
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There use to be a huge contingent that played in front of the Southfield Civic Center on Evergreen Road & Civic Center (just north of 10 Mile Road) years ago before they built that new facility. I'm not sure if they still do or not but I always remembered driving by and seeing several games going on there.

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ultimate frisbee = frisbee football

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/ tleone/ult/
dearborn ultimate contact page, for joining up or getting info.

http://www.a2ultimate.org/
ann arbor ultimate club which has links for detroit, and dearborn ultimate too

disc golf/frisbee golf = playing on a course with 'tees' and 'baskets' and 'par' and all that jazz

there are other games like GUTS too, but mostly GUTS and others are played during tournaments.

http://www.pdga.com/ is the professional disc golf assoc. includes info on all disc golf courses in all countries of the world.

http://www.a3disc.org/
for the ann arbor disc league

Kevdog

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 68.73.59.71
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is some great info. Thanks, everyone!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6136
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification, Compn.

Amazing the things one can do with a frisbee.

For the longest time, it was 'just' a tray to use BEFORE the casual recreation of chasing it around with a bunch of stoners.

Kevdog

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 68.73.59.71
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be going to the Dearborn Ultimate game this Tuesday at 6 if anyone else from the forum wants to come. They sound very welcoming of new-comers.

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.gutsfrisbee.com/abo ut/default.asp

about guts frisbee (sounds like fun!)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4959
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you're into disc golf, probably the best course in the area is out at Cass Benton in Northville, directly off of Hines Park. probably not the best course for a beginner. but still great. i really need to get out there more this year.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.