Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » As killings rise, Detroit cops get help « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1994
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060710/NEW S01/607100345/1003

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still way too many trigger happy folks in Detroit who don't have any anger management skills. The upswing in shootings is just going to cause more migration away from the city.
You can throw all the money and cops you want into the city but until people learn to control themselves it won't do much good.
Getting repeat offenders off the streets is good. However, access to guns, unemployment, liquor and uncontrolled rage is a damaging cocktail for many families.
How can you have a liveable city when residents are afraid of gunfire in their own neighborhods?

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called Detroit New Fallujah!

Livedog2

Paulmcall

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you imagine how many illegal weapons caches they could find in this city?
A guy got blasted by a AK47 on I96 by Greenfield over the weekend. That has to make commuters free so much safer.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10300
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got help?

glock

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 65.42.240.145
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"When you're losing jobs and can't find a job, you're either going to sell dope or steal," Summers said. "I can't knock the hustle, but it puts a strain on the neighborhood."

Contrary to popular belief, YES, you can knock the hustle. Maybe if more people did, the freakin' neighborhoods wouldn't be so strained.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1040
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legalize drugs.

Livedog2

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Operation TIDE, or Tactical Intelligence Driven Enforcement, involves 10 agencies from the federal level on down and is intended to identify and crack down on the city's worst criminals.

This is a joke. There was something called STRESS at one time that was so effective at curbing violent crime against the most vulnerable people in the city that the "bad duds" were looking over their shoulder's all the time. Well, a few of these "losers" got smoked and every Civil Rights Commission known to man came down on them and the politicians ran for cover and disbanded it. And, of course the people that were the victims of this kind of street crime and violence felt the sting of these "bad guys" again because they had no protection. As I have said, "Enjoy it while you can because the worm will turn and you will pay the piper or drummer or whatever metaphor you care to use!"

Livedog2
stress

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 198.109.26.19
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://chicago.metblogs.com/photos/robocop.jpg

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 64.7.187.71
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm- you need a cop for every person in detroit-
i love detroit
well almost everyone

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS CITY NEED SOME NEW JACK COPS!!!!!!

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 68.249.241.80
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why do we have mandatory miniumus for drugs, but not guns?

why do drunk drivers (albeit, definately a reprehensible and punishable offense) undergo heavy supervision including drug & alcohol testing 2x a week, probation, loss of driving privliges etc... yet I can roll somebody for $20 with a baseball bat and likely be free on bond within 24 hours?

...questions I ask myself as I drive around the city...

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"We're not just sitting back for the numbers to decrease," said James Tate, spokesman for the Detroit Police Department. "We're taking a proactive role."

ummmm...isn't that what is expected of ANY police force?!?!?
OMG!...LMAO

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1692
Posted From: 69.220.37.181
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city can't say that laying off police officers and closing precincts has anything to to with the increase in crime, can it? To admit that would mean that the city has played a part in the increase in crime and they can't admit that now can they?

Quite simply, Detroit should not have closed all of the precincts/police stations that it did. Yes it saves money, but it gave criminals and bad-asses the sense that the sheriff is no longer in town. The day after the 8th precinct house closed(McNicols and Grand River), the students at Redford High(across the street from the precinct) attacked the students at the nearby alternative school. Was this inevitable or did the realization by bad-asses at the school that the cops were no longer around play a part in the attack?

The closing of the precincts/police stations has to have a negative psychological effect on a neighborhood. I know that just passing by boarded up precincts gave me an unsettling feeling. It gave me the feeling that the people we look to for protection from the criminals have abandoned us. I can only imagine what the criminals were thinking.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.14.28.209
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is time to stop the robberies so we can enjoy safe streets.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1658
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to agree with Royce on the precinct closings. It's really demoralized a lot of neighborhoods. Since the precinct closed on Mack & Gratiot, nearly every abandoned house in the neighborhood has gone up in flames several times and several occupied homes have been lit up as well.

In NW Detroit the precinct on Plymouth has very limited access to the north because of I-96. I wonder what affect that has on crime fighting, especially when there are old one or two squad cars during the graveyard shift.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4518
Posted From: 141.217.84.88
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community policing and Vigilante justice is last solution to rise of violent crime in Detroit's ghettohoods.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10302
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I miss something....is Bully Cummings gone? I haven't seen her or heard her in the news forever.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Saturday and Sunday this weekend all the cellblocks were full in the city. When this is the case most people who are arrested are released amd told to show up for court. That really sends a message to the criminal!!!!

Whatever happened to the Central Holding facilty the city was supposed to build with the bond money passed a few years back?

Hey Mr. Wilson could you find out for us or investigate what the city does when the cell blocks are full and what's going on with the bond money.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 516
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I'd like to see some coverage of just how succesful (or not) the move to 'districts" has been - some objective measures.

I see that the SW District has new commanders again. This makes how many commanders in four years: Gomez, Barbieri, Parshall, Mylinarzk, Serta,and now a new guy. Each time they come in and know nothing about the neighborhood and the learning curve is high. Things get lost in the cracks.
I thinks its chaos and its plenty disturbing that there is so little long-term leadership at the Command level.

But I understand that the media have made a pact with KK administration to lay off for awhile.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the problem with STRESS was that too many victims were shot in the back and almost all of them were black.
Do you think we really need a revivial of this type of crime fighting?
Something has to be done since shootings are up and
not much is fixing the problem.

Livedog2

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Part of the problem with STRESS was that too many victims were shot in the back and almost all of them were black.

Mayhaps they wuz doin' the crimes! And, when they wuz runnin’ way from thu law they got smoked. Didya eva thank of that?

It's easy to sit back in your lily white liberal easy chair and "Monday Morning Quarterback" the men in blue out on the line doing it day-in-and-day-out! Get your ass out there on a 24/7 basis and then let me hear your rap!!

Livedog2

Paulmcall

Post Number: 801
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAACP and ACLU didn't think STRESS was such a great idea either.
They also had a cop who shot a guy on a freeeway and claimed self defense. He was famous for planting weapons on dead guys too.
This isn't a white or black thing. I'm all for letting the cops catch the bad guys. Unfortunately, too many Stress cops became a law unto themselves.
Read up on the history.

Livedog2

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't need to read up on the history. I'm part of the history!

Livedog2

Paulmcall

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you don't end up with a hole in your back.

Livedog2

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall, I would have respected you if you would have just come out and said, “I hope you get a bullet in your back.” But, you chose the cowards way out by saying it without saying it in true cowardly, guilt ridden, white man’s manner.”

You can't tell when a coward will strike that’s for sure! But, then again, most of the ones I knew only went after women and old people. You see they were always looking for the most vulnerable people in society. Never mind if they were the same race as them that was all the better because they knew they wouldn’t get the same attention. Imagine their surprise when they thought they had an easy prey and it turned out that the victim had a gun just as big as the gun they had. Fortunately, some of the worst ones will never do it again!!

I liked your idea about anger management classes. I think you should stick with that idea. People should do what they’re best at and leave the difficult work to those that have the courage and dedication to get the job done! You can never tell liberal, do-gooders too many times that, “Freedom is not free!” Have a nice day, sir.

Livedog2

Paulmcall

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macho idiots have cost the city of Detroit millions in lawsuits over the years. I wouldn't mind a new undercover outfit like STRESS if they stuck to guidelines and did their job without shooting first and asking questions later.
Crime and shootings hit blacks hardest in Detroit. I would think citizens would appreciate getting the streets cleaned up in more ways than one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.