Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bars in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bars are you favorites in Detroit? What is the atmosphere like at these places? What bars would you not reccomend going to?

Im sure in the past there have been a bunch of threads about bars and Im sure yall are going to freak out, but if you dont have any interest in expanding my knowledge/discussing this then just disregard the post.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...it depends on the kind of bar you like to hang out at. One wonderful thing about Detroit is that we have so many diverse bars and restaurants. If you like martini bars, blues bars, hole-in-the-wall bars, sports bars or whatever...we have them. For a complete and pretty up to date list of the 100 bars and restaurants in the Downtown area check out www.insidedetroit.org. You can print it out and start checking off all the ones you've been to.
For me personally, most of my old favorites have closed or changed owners.(The Music Menu and The Old Well) but the current Well, Beaubien Street Saloon and Cliff Bells would probably be my top three within the downtown limits.
Have fun!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 70.212.33.74
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetwater Tavern, The Rhino, Floods, Centaur, Town Pump, Cobo Joes are all good downtown depending on the desired atmosphere. Haven't been to Cliff Bells yet, but it's high on my list.

I tend to stay away from the neighborhood bars since a friend was killed coming out of Club 7, but there are some that are exceptionally safe with a great atmosphere. (Happy Times on Harper and Beaconsfield, for instance). Do your homework first though.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.215.206.67
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always have a good time at the Town Pump and sitting on the roof at the Motor City Brewing Company. Don't miss having a beer at Billies Comet Bar, it's a dive but we always have a great time there after a Tiger game!

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a stumble down night of drinking I love the Los Angelos Bar at the corner of...at the corner of....I can't remember!

los angelos

Livedog2

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't miss bars:

-The Bronx Bar
-The Old Miami
-The Brewing Works

-Cliff Bells is gorgious, but the clientell is surprisingly sports bar... as long as the bar does well, i don't care that much... I was just hoping for a jazz bar for the obsessed music fan...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an oldtimer, there are certain bars I miss, REALLY MISS, including:
...Diamond Jim Brady's , on 7 Mile at Greenfield, where Matt and Pat Brady served up the best hamburgers and chili you could find in Detroit. It was the establishment closest to being a real "Cheers", more than any other bar I've ever been in. If you were a regular on Friday nights(when mostly teachers and administrators frequented the place) everybody really did know your name. I cried when it closed. Other Brady's bars have popped up from time to time, but nothing has been like the original.
...Tom's Tavern on 7 Mile. The floor sloped and you got your own beer, leaving your payment on the bar. A unique institution, run by an eccentric proprietor.
...Vernes down at Wayne State. I still remember one winter night in the 70's, sulking in my beer, sitting in there while someone played Don Mclean's "American Pie" about 20 times on the jukebox. It was the first time (and ultimately the 20th) I had heard the song. Its symbolism was too much. Vernes and the Alcove (on Woodward and Warren, with 25 cent shells) were great places to hang out at Wayne State.
...Cobb's Corner...Robert Cobb's place on Cass...eclectic and electric...a writer's paradise, serving up every walk of life. The Lymon Woodard Organization, with Norma Jean Bell on Sax, used to find the groove every Friday and Saturday night. Great memories.
...The Lindell AC, just recently torn down, full of unbelievable stories and characters.
...The Blue Note on Six Mile...full of jazz and unsophisticated soul...close to Juanita's, where things didn't start hoppin' til after Midnight.
...The original Anchor...Doc Greene and Pete Waldmeier's favorite place to imbibe, as well as 75% of the employees of the News and Free Press.
...The Normandy,in the New Center area, where Bill Bonds would often be opining.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...Tom's Tavern on 7 Mile. The floor sloped and you got your own beer, leaving your payment on the bar. A unique institution, run by an eccentric proprietor.

that is almost the exact description of a bar called cos's in geneva, ny. except instead of a sloped floor, the pool table was in a room too small for playing pool so you had to use shortened sticks.

eh, I dunno what constitutes a good bar anymore, mabye because I haven't been to one (a good bar) in quite some time.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on July 10, 2006)

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiter is pretty cool, old sheleleha sucks, detroit brew company is pretty cool, state bar is tight before tigers games, there are a ton of others, just go downtown and walk from bar to bar, thats what we do.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Tavern on 7 Mile is still around. I was there a few weeks ago.

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 172.132.216.223
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Honest? John's rather regularly. Good booze, good food, and an excellent atmosphere. They even have a jukebox full of classic soul and funk, plus a Ms. Pacman/Galaga game! :D

The State Bar is decent too, but I really love Ye Olde Tap Room and The Lager House. More than anything, I miss The Third Street Saloon. I can't tell you how many times I'd stop in there after a tough exam at Wayne State, and knock back a bottle or two. Oh well, the owner was a terrible alcoholic with a gambling problem, so what do you expect?

here's a good article on the subject:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagaz ine.com/issues/11-02/11_02_det roit.htm

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nancy Whiskey. And the Anchor.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reedy's

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2363
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Comet for sheer viewing pleasure...if the decor doesn't overwhelm your senses then the patrons will! I love it there! For a good time with a nice atmosphere my vote goes to the Town Pump.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.250.8.47
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Checker Bar seems cool. I have only been there once, but I felt like I knew the two sisters running the place forever. Good burger too!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an irish gal, I think the Old Sheleleigh is great. Friday or Saturday nights upstairs listening to old dirty Irish dirges. Can't get better than that!

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 68.74.9.14
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

-Cliff Bells is gorgious, but the clientell is surprisingly sports bar... as long as the bar does well, i don't care that much... I was just hoping for a jazz bar for the obsessed music fan...

perhaps on a game night, but even then, other than the jerseys supporting the teams, I would not call Cliff Bell's a sport's bar by any means. If you talk to the owners, you'll realize that they are not catering to that crowd at all. In fact, they are looking to make it a destination bar in and of itself, not a place to stop before or after the game. They have plenty of live music already and are looking to add much more. Again, go on a non-game night.

quote:

As an irish gal, I think the Old Sheleleigh is great. Friday or Saturday nights upstairs listening to old dirty Irish dirges. Can't get better than that!

Ha, dirty dirges. They are church songs compared to what we sang after rugby games.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippo's on Conant in Hamtramck
hippo's
Dukes on Davison and Newbern
Carlolas on Davison and Klinger
V&M Kozy Korner on Davison and Gallagher
Jay-Zee Bar on Davison and Gallagher

Great shot and beer joints for serious drinking!

Livedog2

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.250.8.47
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The narrow stairway at the Old Sheleleigh scares me. It's a fire trap. I was up there right after that fire in the east (Conneticut?). It got me to thinking about a safe path out of that old building. Is there another route? I haven't been back up there since. In general, though, it's a fun place.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.42.220.61
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Lights on Baltimore in New Center...great music good environment

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a rear stairway. By fire code standards, any public business must have 2 entry/exit points. Going down that stairway drunk is no small effort! Glad there is a tuna cn effect so as everyone holds the people behind them up!! The rear stairway is for employees but could be accessed by the public in case of emergency. Plus, I believe there is a fire escape outside the building (sliding ladder style)

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 68.61.204.111
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a scene from The Comet bar. I had some friends in town from Chicago and they loved the place,,,I always a good time there and a great place to people watch!!!The Comet Bar

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a new place, the Buzz Bar has a nice vibe to it, warm and charming with a good variety of booze and food.

Cass Cafe for good food, personable bartenders, excellent people-watching and art.

Your Place Lounge on East Warren for cheap, cold beer and good food.

Honest?John's for fun.

Marshall's on far East Jefferson if you want to watch a video camera trained on your car parked out front.

Anyone ever been to the Ramp Room?

Brandonz
Username: Brandonz

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 198.108.4.105
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bronx Bar = best bar i've been to in Michigan, hands-down.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 984
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your Place Lounge on East Warren for cheap, cold beer and good food.

Honest?John's for fun.

Marshall's on far East Jefferson if you want to watch a video camera trained on your car parked out front.

do I know you...?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1655
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

do I know you...?

Unless he just made his recommendations up, odds are you know him pretty well.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to figure out who I know who actually can tolerate the Cass Cafe though... :-)

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2018
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite bars in Detroit are the ones that have a nice suburban feel.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Bennigan's in Greektown.

And we talk about all the progress!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2019
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope we are not going to have another "That was you" incident on our hands.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope we are not going to have another "That was you" incident on our hands.

Same here Merchy-poo, same here...

Beach
Username: Beach

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 67.38.29.29
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bronx Bar has two good juke boxes, very dark, pool table, and cheap drinks; I describe it as a hipster bar to some people. I believe they still have someone there on Thrusdays (?) to cut hair. Oh, and the monkey picture picture in the bathroom is priceless.)

Buzz Bar is new and has a good atmosphere. They have live music upstairs and I hear the pizza is really good, but I have yet to try it.

Northern Lights is pretty cool too. They have a shuffle puck table, live music and DJs on a regular basis. Brad from People's Records hosts/DJs on Mondays--it's called Sole Night.

I like a lot of bars, but I think I'll stop.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bronx, The Works, Oslo (for that New York feel), Karras Bros. (right across the street, easy walk home, no smoking inside), The Belmont (Hamtramck), Corktown Tavern, Majestic.

Just heard about Buzz last night. Gonna check that out.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw Beach keep going man

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Karras Brothers - great beer selection, NO SMOKE, upstairs deck, pinball, mellow crowd...what more could you ask for?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...what more could you ask for?

Smoke and a livelier crowd?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6146
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proximity to my Eastern Market loft...walking distance, at least.

The Old Miami is the only real bar in the city, all else are pretenders.

A friend met a rage rocker in NYC one night last week wearing an Old Miami t-shirt...of course he had to call ME at 1:30 to announce the fact!

I have to recommend my local favorites, although they are just outside the CBD.

Vivio's any night...but Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are best. Saturday ALL DAY with Heather and Rob...pretty much like heaven...only you have to pay, usually.

Bert's in the Market for their open-mic nights both Wednesday and Thursday...nothing quite like seeing three or four generations of players passing down their lessons and appreciating each other's company on-stage.

Jazz is the harmony and rhythm of the living human soul...

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 69.220.225.152
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Circa is great in the WSU area. I have thrown a few Black Labels back in there.

Nancy Whiskey was my last stop for my last beer on 9/27/99. I have been back quite a few times since but that was my first and most memorable visit.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 448
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss: the 411 bar
the main bar (Mich ave./Livernois)
Piper's alley
Skipper's (I was an after-show regular there)
The Woodbridge tavern
All of the bars that are now trendy that I used to go to when they were DIVES!
(you know who you are)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6147
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the Rivertown Saloon.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

- The Bronx
- Motor City Brewing Works
- Oslo
- The Detroit Eagle [on Sundays]

I really want to check out Hippo's, because of the fancy Hippo's on the logo:
http://i18.photobucket.com/alb ums/b112/spaceboykelly/hippo.j pg

Cliff Bell's is beautiful, but I haven't had a chance to sit down for a drink there yet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.