Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » My Two Cents « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay--Just got back from a week in Detroit. I was impressed with the progress. The first thing I noticed were how clean the sidewalks and streets were--and not only in the downtown area. I drove down Grand River from Rosedale Park and the streets/sikdewalks were clean all along the route. Downtown was immaculate as was up Michigan to Mexican Town. We also cruised Jefferson with a stop on Belle Isle and Indian Village. Good work Detroit--Keep it up!!!
I had two visitors with me who are from Baltimore who were also impressed. The only negative comment heard from my guests were that there were NO pedestrians walking anywhere and this was on a Saturday in the middle of the afternoon. But, we didn't see anyone walking in the suburbs either. Probably just a Detroit thing.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1882
Posted From: 69.221.72.6
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the weekends you need a ballgame or a festival to create real pedestrian traffic.

Sounds good, though. I'm bringing in out of towners next weekend, and hope they can see the light, too.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.215.206.67
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of weeks ago I took some visitors from Germany on a walking tour of downtown and they were really impressed with the architecture, the parks and the river front, however they had the same comment, “were are all the people”.

I did get a chance to show them Eastern Market and it was very busy. My only complaint was that we had a hard time finding a restaurant that was open in the afternoon, it seems that most of the places we stopped at said “sorry we don’t open till 5” (except for Greektown). Other then that it was a very positive experience!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in Detroit for the Fourth of July week and when visiting the downtown area I was impressed to see not only a very clean Woodward but also a well-lit clothing store open at around 10pm or so. And of course also enjoyed hanging out at Lafayette Coney Island long after we had finished our coneys. But by far the most encouraging event was the TasteFest. It was so cool to see so many folks from all over the Detroit metro region hanging out and enjoying the event and the pleasant summer evening. It was really a relief to get away from all the boundaries, cliques, categories, and niches the city often defines itself by.

On the downside, was disheartened to see the large number of For Sale signs and to hear the economic news from family and friends. Ugh.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1656
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only negative comment heard from my guests were that there were NO pedestrians walking anywhere

Maybe that's why the sidewalks were so clean?

Seriously though, it is very nice to hear a visitors perspective. Especially a positive one.

Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes a little time and distance is all that is needed to help change the cynical attitudes that pervade after a long time of seeing only modest incremental improvements.

In the midst of a number of small improvements, the forest sometimes gets lost for the trees.

Thanks, again, for the positive light.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6353
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'd like the old Daburch back, please, instead of this pod.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bite me.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6356
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, he's back!

Dabirch

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, really, bite me.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 702
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understood how this Metro region doesn't have more foot traffic on the streets. Many times on a Saturday, or Sunday morning / afternoon I'm the only one on walking on the street.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6357
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the hoin' should be good, not having much competition...

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weekends at night are very busy downtown. During the day, as someone mentioned earlier, it isn't busy at all, especially on a Sunday. This is a chicken and egg analogy, as there isn't much open on a Sat or Sunday afternoon downtown, hence the reason you don't see anyone walking around. The more people that come, the more that will stay open, and so on........takes awhile for them to evolve together......It cannot be created overnight.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2020
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sometimes a little time and distance is all that is needed to help change the cynical attitudes that pervade after a long time of seeing only modest incremental improvements.

Maybe you should leave town for a month. That way you wouldn't be so negative.

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 68.74.9.14
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, really, bite me.

my, how the options abound.

I thought Velma left the forum.
or
Hey, keep it in the bedroom.
or
Paging Manrooter.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.209.178.224
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is this "walking" thing? I think I've heard of it...isn't it sort of like driving, but slower and more strenuous?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally like the first option the best.

But thanks for the other suggestions...

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 640
Posted From: 68.41.93.235
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroiters love to shop, even when there is not money. Go to village of rochestor, downtown birmingham, there are people walking then.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 67.38.4.43
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a comment I've heard before, that there is no one walking around downtown. I've seen downtown insanely jammed at the fireworks and during the motown winter blast, but other than special events, downtown could use a lot more pedestrian traffic to create that big city feeling. Even the 9-5 office worker crowd seems considerably smaller than in years past.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing new to add. But I had a friend in from Vegas over the July 4th weekend. He had the usual misconceptions about the Detroit area, but I think he left with a much better appreciation for the area. His biggest negative comment was how dead it was downtown on Saturday afternoon. We took a ride on the People Mover and he was shocked at how few people were walking around on the streets on a sunny afternoon.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave my two cents. So, if I give more then I want my bus service back in the city of Livonia.

??? The SMART buses will come back but will those who vote YES next August stand up and fight for the nearly half of Livonia that lost their right to fight for the dignity and respect for all ???

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1073
Posted From: 208.49.95.12
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, shut the fuck up.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 years ago I used to be able to park right in front of Nikki's in Greektown. Now I have to park a mile and walk. That creates the foot traffic that said business' need. When I eat at Mexicantown, there is frequntly long waits. And anytime I eat at Cass Cafe, I find myself parking several blocks away. The point is there is certainly more traffic downtown now. The best part about the area around Wayne State is one of the most diverse areas in the metro area. So I guess all the racists (Black or white)on this sight must be appauld!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.