Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Property Tax Breakdown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 413
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the City of Detroit's Property Tax site to view my property taxes. I had never noticed how they broke down where each of the dollars are spent. Interestingly enough, I see that I only pay $113.00 per year for garbage pick up. But there are other things on there that I don't understand like:

State Education (okay)
School Debt (this number is really high)
School JDMT (low number, but what is it)
Debt Service (what is this?)
Library (okay, but if everyone is paying for this, our neighborhood libraries should be really nice)

Under the County Tax:

All are okay, but why does Wayne County Community College get so much? I mean, if everyone is giving that much to the College, then why do they have tuition?

Sorry, but just wanted to vent!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

School Debt are school bonds. These pay for new schools like Cass Tech, Performing Arts, and improvements to existing schools.

Debt service is general obligation bonds. In order to minimize these taxes you have to be selective on what you support on the bond tax. They cleverly mask these by saying 'bonds won't increase your taxes' Hoerver less debt will decrease them. For the record I am not antibond and have voted yes for the ones that make sense to me.

Compared to many cities we do have a wonderful library system; its not posh but it is expansive and we do have some classic libraries still in operation.

Wayne county is not assessed to the whole county just to those within the wayne county district. Many of these areas are the poor areas. Tuition at Wayne County is very affordable compared to other schools for those who live withing the district. I spend a semester at Wayne County and learned a lot for a little early in my college days. I support making education affordable for those who live within the district.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 832
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is interesting, I think I am going to look up the same info for where I live, thanks for thr idea.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.