Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Be Aware « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 66.174.79.228
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to share a story.

Yesterday morning, around 11:30 a.m., my mother was walking into Hy-Grades Deli on Michigan Ave., about 1/4 mile west of 96. She was opening the front door to the deli, and a man ran around the corner of the building and snatched her purse. Everyone in the deli saw it, and several ran out the front. The cook also saw it and ran out the back door. He met the guy face-to-face in the alley. The guy pulled out a 38, and the cook backed off. He saw him jump into a Grand Prix, and it sped off.

Thank God, my mother is ok, but it was a real pain in the ass to cancel credit cards, get a new phone, etc.

Just wanted to share the story and tell everyone to definitely be aware of your surroundings. Even when you are walking into a busy restaurant, you can still be victimized.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1415
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to know that your mother is OK, and that bystanders were willing to help.

This is another reminder that we must be vigilant no matter where we are because bad people do bad things when the opportunity presents itself.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about this, Ron. Thank G-d nothing more happened to your mother. We all need to remember that there are many bad people out there ready to strike at a moments notice.

Livedog2

Ron

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 66.174.79.239
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely, and thanks!

It was definitely heartening to know that people were willing to help like that.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1198
Posted From: 152.163.98.43
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron,

This is a very troublesome crime that your mother experienced. Praise GOD that she, along with the brave heroes that came to her rescue, were not physically harmed. A senseless act by a senseless coward.

Ron

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 66.174.93.101
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Shave. It is shameful, but, again, I am extremely thankful that it didn't turn out worse.

The owner of Hy-Grades was one of the people who ran out to help, and he was extremely pissed about it happening. He indicated to me that he couldn't remember the last time something like this had occurred.

I also would like to extend my thanks to DPD, because they responded within minutes of receiving the call.

I agree that he was a senseless coward, choosing to victimize a defenseless woman approaching 60 years old, rather than a man who would give him a run for his money. (Probably afraid he might actually have to work for it).

Again, thank God; it could have been much worse.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bring back STRESS

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4562
Posted From: 141.217.173.164
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Violent crimes are rampant in the Ghettohoods in Detroit. " WE HOPE YOU ALL SURVIVE!"

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 804
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad your mom was not harmed.
Both of my parents were robbed at gun point (separately) back in the 70's when we lived in NW Detroit. That was just one of the many reasons why they finally left the city after 27 years on Winthrop.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.