Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Help Trainman « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have started this thread to help fuel trainman's ego. As you may have read, he is a savior as far as mass transit is concerned. He can fill the trains... mkae them run efficiantly...and on time... Sign his petition and he may even part the Detroit River!!!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4011
Posted From: 71.197.28.99
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping this was a thread in which we could contribute to get Trainman some professional help. I'm sorely disappointed.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm open for sugestions on helping Trainman. However. I think he needs his ego stroked at the same time. Feel free to help me help him...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's beyond help!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop the petition, please.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If trainman will personally schlep all the crap I carry to work (and my 200 bucks worth of groceries from the grocery store) and allow me to smoke and sing loudly (and albeit horribly) to obnoxious music, I'll support his cause for mass transit. Until then, I'll drive my American made vehicle...

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If trainman will personally schlep all the crap I carry to work (and my 200 bucks worth of groceries from the grocery store) and allow me to smoke and sing loudly (and albeit horribly) to obnoxious music, I'll support his cause for mass transit. Until then, I'll drive my American made vehicle..."

The point is not whether you can drive your car. The point is whether we are going to have decent mass transit like every other viable city.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2444
Posted From: 4.229.72.112
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the point is he should be banned from posting on this forum.... He is just using it for his own personal agenda.... and driving every one else crazy with his single minded crusade.... ad nauseum...

He has droned on in practically every one of his 100 plus posts about the same thing over and over and over again.... preaching to the choir, but in a "broken record" fashion. We got the message.... 95 posts ago...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny the news today had a strong arguement why we should pass the property tax for SMART, where is trainman's rebuttal? why won't he debate the news with his facts?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.43.29.171
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Trainman is SO efficient at hijacking every other thread for his personal gospel (though I, personally, would love to see mass transit), I feel obligated to hijack this one:

I love White Castles (mighty-whities)
I love Sunday mornings
I love inventing cookies
I love D-YES postings
I love a good thunderstorm
I love friendly, smiling metro Detroit people
I love random acts of kindness

...oh, and I hate school vouchers

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's his website??????I had to ask.......i'm bored. 313

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A top Michigan Department of Transportation official has publicly claimed that the tax on gas is no longer a viable means to pay for the operations of bus service. Yet, SEMCOG has approved the $500 Million dollar I-75 expansion.

I do write newspaper stories and speak publicly and its true that I can not be helped because I'm obsessed with filling up the buses to fight for mass transit as some of you figured out.

We can all help SMART and mass transit by protesting the MDOT/SEMCOG freeway expansions that do not include mass transit. This does work and should be done, if you all want a good decent mass transit system.

Let's face reality. Some of the regional planners in southeast Michigan will retire on your tax dollars just dreaming away. They are legends in their own minds.

So, please get my website made known to help YOU and not me.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/theplan.html

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4014
Posted From: 71.206.101.125
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really don't have any shame. And, that's the scariest part of all.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1234
Posted From: 69.215.254.162
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might not even mind the constant promotion of the website if the website made a coherent point. As it is, it seems to be a bunch of mostly random statements about transit in SE Michigan. About all I can determine is that the site is generally pro-transit, against additional taxes, more pro-bus than rail, sort of pro-SMART and vaguely opposed to DARTA and TRU. The focal point seems to be saving the "fuel tax", but the site doesn't explain exactly what the current fuel tax covers, and what the threat against it is.

If anyone can glean anything more from the site, please post it here.

(Message edited by Dougw on July 17, 2006)

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 68.58.41.232
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be fair, one of the primary reasons I have lived in Chicago/NYC since moving away is because of their viable transit systems.

Sucks having to drive places. Also, the city doesn't have enough cabs IMO

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 68.30.200.183
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take cabs all the time, and the cabbies say they don't have enough business.

later - naturalsister

Trainman

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No mass transit plan is complete without a cost and operating budget. The plan in my website is very detailed and referenced on this.

Basically, a multiple tax mechanism of the fuel CTF fund is to remove 40,000 cars off the roads which is based an actual rider ship statistics from many sources with very frequent on-demand computerized bus service. The other part is the property tax portion. For example, a community not on the state trunk portion can have a line connected to the trunk much like Livonia transit is presently trying to connect DDOT.

There seems to be hope to keep southeast Livonia connected.

In the link below as with the rest of my website only the expansions are attacked This will not hurt anyone as those who want more should pay more or be the ones to propose new taxes.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/comp.html

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you move 40,000 cars off the road, how will transit survive? Transit is based on the fuel tax. Fuel taxes are already in a downwards cycle in terms of generating income; and as the fleet turns over from SUV to hybrids this will get increasingly worse.

The fundemental problem with transit is that its funding is based soley on the fuel tax. The fuel tax is a user fee set up to help pay for the roads under the theory that those that use the system should pay for it. Short of the fare box (and that is heavily subsidized) there is no similar mechanism for transit. A tax based upon property may be a much better option because a smooth running transit system will enhance property values the same way a good school would.

Trainman

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Property taxes only raise the value of property along or near transit routes.

What I propose is two tax mechanisms, fuel and property to better utilize both. In Livonia, the western half will not pay for the eastern half and I live on the bus routes and had to fight for more riders to keep state funds. But, I failed to protect revenue sharing even though I helped SMART.

Property taxes do not generate enough money for transit much the same as the fuel tax or the fare-box. So, I'm trying to get our state to utilize a sensible combination that the majority of the public will vote for and benefit from. I’m also trying to get more riders as I hope to use DDOT near the new Wal-Mart but again it is proving difficult for me to get transit officials to listen. I brought SMART many riders and want to bring them back but I don’t see how I can do this with property taxes alone or without DDOT. I support transit sales taxes if they are the same in all 83 counties to protect jobs AND with much more fare box revenues. Statistics show that without lots of fare box money that transit taxes do not benefit in a competitive way to retain and attract employment opportunities. So, I’m hoping to see the Transportation Riders United succeed in their efforts but I think they should support my efforts and others to remove cars from freeways so our state and industries can justify more funding.

Please see how detailed my webpage is concerning the total funding package is because I want to attack the freeways. I think the I-75 expansion will make downtown traffic horrible without better mass transit thus I want to fight the SEMCOG/MDOT plan. Our leaders are pushing local funding very hard but without more improvements to attract more riders those on low and fixed incomes will be pay more then their share which is discrimination and is not of sound economics to get more good jobs to locate here.

The funding package is extremely detailed and accurate based on extensive research. My plan was invented in 1995 before SEMCOG’S and unlike the SEMCOG one, it came off the shelf. I challenge all to attack my efforts and prove me wrong because it’s true, I really did fill the buses in Livonia and I know that I can coordinate both DDOT and SMART with common bus schedules and make public bus service work to benefit everyone.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/textb.html

Detroitej72

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

I'm waiting for you to thank me for starting this thread for your crusade! :]

Trainman

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure, Thank You.

My website and my successful efforts to improve public bus service is proof that I do care about Detroit.

And, I want nothing in return but to see the SMART tax fail. So, I can publicly attack both MDOT AND SEMCOG for taking away over $500 Million dollars away from mass transit to build a freeway in Oakland County.

This freeway is approved and the newspaper claim that SMART will shut down if the property tax fails.

The suburban property taxes replace the fuel tax thus enabling our state leaders to allow more subdivisions and Wal-Marts to cover the forests and farms.

Take a drive into the countryside and you will see the concrete facts for yourself.

See, M-24 just south of Lapeer
See, the new M-53 near Romeo
See, Joslyn Road near I-75
See, the facts in my website.

Again, thank you because I know a NO vote next August will only cap this tax and not defeat it. Current guidelines to qualify our state to receive federal transportation grants is the proof of this statement and is defined in my website to educate the public.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 68.43.1.114
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, I will take a serious look at your site right now. I started this thread as a joke because I was tired of your teadious ramblings on about your cause. I fully belive in mass transit for Detroit and her outlying areas. I will study your proposal and get back with you...

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman is either a robot programmed to say the same things or a used car salesman that can't take no for an answer.
Most here probably agree with you, however your tactics are as effective as pissing into a headwind.

Trainman

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started my website as a joke in 1995 and it still is a joke in 2006. I actually physically filled up the buses in my neighborhood. Imagine someone actually doing this on television to educate the public. Does anyone really think transit tax increase advocates want you to know all the facts? If so, I hope you are joking? SEMCOG loves to tell the public that we only pay $20 dollar per year in transit taxes. So, the answer is pay $90 dollars per year. Is it not obvious to anyone that maybe SEMCOG just wants to load their pockets up with YOUR money? Really, like this will surely get us a world class transit system. Oh yeah it's a great deal and we can't lose. Oh yeah, if we all just stuff the pockets of our leaders with tons of money that they will grow ears and actually listen to us.

If you love to laugh then get my website in the newspapers and also me. Imagine seeing me on television telling the public on the evening news on channels 2, 4 and 7 that I can save SMART and I am from Livonia.

I want to have the following printed in the Detroit News So, please correct any mistakes so it gets printed.

The August 8, 2006 SMART Property Tax Renewal

The majority vote of YES will formally approve in writing the increase of road capacities in Oakland County as publicly documented. We as the majority will agree to spend $533 to widen 18 miles of the I-75 freeway. This money comes from shutting down the SMART 285 Middlebelt Road to the Airport and Downtown Connector. This is evidenced as money is shifted from fuel taxes on gasoline to pay for the exact same purpose to correct deficiencies.

The cost to expand I-75 can provide 10 years of making the SMART tax work but will be lost. This means the breaking up of the Woodward Ave buses along with other losses will cripple the city of Detroit’s ability to maintain basic community transit for their disabled and elderly residents. This is why the loss of my bus service is a violation against my rights as protected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Federal laws define alternatives must be provided which includes upholding bus union agreements. The defeat of local tax increases can disqualify our state to receive transportation grants. The alternatives under these guidelines can mean the replacement of line-haul bus service with small vans defined by written accords. This means in legal terms that you will pay the same amount of county tax to equal the same service for those under ADA guidelines to qualify for federal grants for community transit, should the tax renewal fail.

The bus I ride on has a window where the Rosa Parks building can be seen. I don’t care about losing my bus service because I just want to help others. Please allow the property tax for SMART to be capped by voting NO or voting YES and then help by putting more money into the fare-box for others. This will give the forty-five percent of YES voters in Livonia another chance to save SMART. Since this proposal is sensitive and valid if passed, it is best supported with compassion for others. A YES vote simply means you agree to fund a charity to help our churches and promote good will. This is not something bad but is good. It does not matter if we vote YES or NO next August 8, 2006. What does matter is helping SMART fight the large Oakland County freeway project because we need to raise the cost of freeways and not public bus service. Of course, if SMART can provide more bus service and come back to Livonia then we should pay more

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.