Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Daily hate » Daily hate - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1123
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

riding my bike on the riverwalk this morning, some guy who was accompanied by his wife and 2 teenage kids says to me "long way from home ain't ya?"...thought about swinging back around and telling him that 2 miles wasn't very far on a bike, but decided it wasn't worth the effort

then

this afternoon out at a car show in grosse point (eyes on design) some guy in his 50's or so was deriding corktown rather publically (as well as dennis archer's tenure as mayor) wondering if those who move to corktown wallow in their own self satisfaction from moving to detroit "while they get shot and robbed".

not much there to discuss that anyone hasn't heard or expericened, but what's a person gotta do to enjoy a nice weekend day without people talkin shit left and right?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 925
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iPod and headphones.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was flip and I apologize.

I don't know. Sometimes you meet nothing but nice people, sometimes it's wall to wall assholes. You have to keep your eyes open for the good guys.

I hope your day goes better.

Put_in_bay
Username: Put_in_bay

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 67.38.18.39
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a positive story for you that happened a couple weeks ago.

A co-worker and I were cycling to our homes in the city from work in Dearborn. I took a spill near the Michigan overpass above I-94. I didn't know it at the time but I fractured my right arm and could not pull the chain loose to try continuing homeward. About 10 minutes later, someone came biking our way and offered assistance. He carried a tools for what were likely to repair his own bike which was apparently painted over. He eventually removed the rear wheel from the frame and freed the chain. I thanked him and he went on his way.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3886
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of hard to escape this kind of stuff in one of the most segregated areas in the country, and I'm not just talking the voluntary racial segregation, either. There are so many splits and divides in the metro that you can often feel it in the air, even.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, ditto on the Ipod.

I didn't think bikes were allowed on the river walk.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right-to on the ipod. If you respond to ignorance than you are just ass-dumb.!. 313

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6148
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom once offered me $20,000 to help buy a "real house."

I asked her what a "real house" is and she said, "One in Royal Oak."

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have asked the guy what he meant by "long way from home."

Maybe it was a misunderstanding that he could have cleared up.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You should have asked the guy what he meant by "long way from home."

Maybe it was a misunderstanding that he could have cleared up.

true, you never know for sure, but his tone was pretty condescending...

couple more epithets thrown my way while walking my dog this evening, yay.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 71.79.115.221
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't understand your posts .... was it a joke about you being on a bike? were the other "epithets" you describe a result of walking your dog?

are people making racial jokes, or something else personal? general detroit negativity? or am i missing something.... do you just have thin skin?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what I see as hate throuhg out the city, is the absolutel shitty-ness of the main drags such as Woodward. I know every town has it's holes but it seems some residents can't even respect the property around them so how are they going to respect other people etc...

On the way home from Wicked last night I was at the light at Grand Blvd. and Woodward. Just in front of simply fashions there is a new bench. One guy was sitting on it with a half empty fith and another guy sitting next to the bench on the sidewalk. I was curious what the guy was doing on the sidealk and looked a little closer and he had a pair of channel locks trying to take the bolts out from the feet of the bench. I could not believe it. And the other general lack of interest to maintain neighborhoods.

Yeah there are some streets that are nice, borderline alright, but only a few outstanding neighborhoods out of a bunch! It seems the neighborhoods that are nice are the ones that have taken the time to form a neighborhood association etc... It just seems like people don't care. A huge sense of apathy from the people of Detroit while driving along Woodward and other parts of town.

Those comments don't suprise me one bit if they were said the way you are implying.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, it's not just a city thing, the whole region seems to have all kinds of tension you could just cut with a knife, as displayed by Gravitymachines second story. It's something experienced on both sides of the city border, and something that I don't blame many for not wanting to be a part of. The regions' troubles go far deeper than the poor economy, trust me.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5923
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wednesday, I ran all the way to Belle Isle, around, and back...but it was MUCH longer than I thought and I had to walk a few blocks.

Near Meldrum and Vernor, not far from the Boulevard, I crossed paths with a fortyish black woman who felt compelled to tell me I must be far from home, too. She wasn't being polite.

I smiled and said hello and went on my way...never know, she might have known something about those eerie industrial backstreets that I don't.

There IS some creepy stuff back there, near the metal scrap yards...one old foundry looks like it could be used in a Mad Max--Detroit installment.

But back to the topic at hand...I've felt an increase in tension...we get a HOT set of summer months, you never know. Hell, I thought it was going to boil over LAST year.

Haven't seen the group street fighting like a few summers ago, but I haven't been OUT as much either...anyone else tramping the streets near closing time? Seems I'm out a LOT less now that I live downtown....

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1125
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But back to the topic at hand...I've felt an increase in tension...we get a HOT set of summer months, you never know. Hell, I thought it was going to boil over LAST year.

i've felt the same way myself.

jtw, let me put it this way, the things people said to me and within earshot of me yesterday didn't inspire me with much confidence in the city and region's ability to "grow up". but, today is another day.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.252.68.118
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the way I see it, I'm too old for this place.

I'm pushing 30 and don't see any meaningful progress in the above-stated situation happening in the next ten years. It takes too long to change a culture, and my g/f and I have decided that *if* we ever want to raise kids, they won't be angry, cable-TV watching, bling-wanting, mean, mcdonalds addicted SE Michigan kids. It takes a village to raise a child, and this one is stocked full of some real idiots...

Yes, sir... Detroit and its metro area are too negative for us. I've stuck my neck out for people here too many times just to have it stepped on. It's almost as if people in these parts take joy in being mean, and wear their own ignorance as a badge of honor.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2099
Posted From: 65.45.136.79
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, lot's of negativity, and the schools here suck but... I had a good weekend. I've been biking around the city a lot, maybe I ride too fast to catch those negative comments.
Anyway, I was hanging out talking to one of my (black) neighbors, when a (mexican) neighbor that I had not met came over with a couple bottles of cold beer, told us that we looked thirsty, and handed us each a cold one. Only negative thing was it started to rain and our Sunday bullshit session was cut a bit short.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2100
Posted From: 65.45.136.79
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just thought of a rebuttal, should I be hit with any of those
"you must be far from home" comments:

"I am? Hey, your world must be pretty small!"

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 172.133.187.227
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is more tension in the region than usual, a lot of it is attributable to the economy around here. Lots of jobs at all levels are being lost. Living paycheck to paycheck, if you have a paycheck at all, is very stressful. Things are compounded in a sense by virtue of the fact that most of the rest of the country seems to be doing just fine, thank you. There's plenty of job growth in most other metropolitan areas. (Amazing what wartime can do for the economy, eh?)

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3644
Posted From: 72.49.253.203
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you guys are saying, "That Black people have low aims and no reason for existence. They are low achieving people with little aspiration for greatness. Do not expect much from them, and do not give them much either. Those people need great assistance and support to achieve anything significant and are ignorant and incompetent. Their lives are crime filled and their chldren are discipline problems who need special attention.

Those 'macdonalds addicted SE Michigan kids' come from overweight, dark-skinned welfare recipients with large numbers of offspring who do not believe or have expressed belief in the goodness of 'white supremacy. They have no concept of trying to move up the social or economic ladder. Upward Mobility is not in their vocabulary.

Although socially deprived, meaning those who have limited exposure to white people; while postulating that the greater the exposure to Whiteness, the more the family can improve his or her backward state of existence and will remove his/her primitiveness and speed their removal from the Endangered Species List as we fight crime in an attempt to establish our normally peaceful, snow-covered, mainstream community ... of diversified deception!!"

I took the liberty of decoding your messages for ya ..... Now, let's discuss those "mean streets, rough neighborhoods and high-crime areas"; in addition to "guilt-laden, afraid for my existence HATE." You know, those "word bombs" you just love to use, while expressing coded "white supremacist" thinking and actions. Ya Game????

Black-atcha ..... whup-ass

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 19, 2006)

Paulj

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when you're looking for a pattern, you start to find it everywhere I guess....

*****quote****
Oh, you guys are saying, "That Black people have low aims and no reason for existence. They are low achieving people with little aspiration for greatness. Do not expect much from them, and do not give them much either. Those people need great assistance and support to achieve anything significant and are ignorant and incompetent. Their lives are crime filled and their chldren are discipline problems who need special attention.

no, actually you said that and uncovered your own biases and ignorance in the process. I've lived in suburbs, i've lived in the city. I've lived near whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, and people of all reaces, creeds, and colors and let me tell you: anywhere you go in SE michigan, be it to Birmingham High School or Houston-Whittier Avenue, you will find the mcdonalds-addicted, money-coveting, TV-entranced youth of today. I've been to 45 states, and let me tell you this: It aint that way in lots of other places in the US, and it aint that way in lots of places where there are people of all backgrounds.

Ever see that movie Pi? You start looking for a specific pattern in life, and suddenly you'll find that you see it everywhere, even in places it doesn't exist. I'm sorry if in fact your entire world revolves around finding racism under every rock, even the ones in your own backyard, even where it doesn't exist until you bring it there.

(Message edited by paulj on June 19, 2006)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I don't live within city limits, I ride there on a regular basis and log thousands of miles. I've only had one negative thing said to me: ("Get the f*&^ out of the hood, boy!". Hood? This is Mid-Town.) Otherwise it's all been positive. Last weekend I got "Give a holla, Lance Armstrong." My favorite was on Woodward in Highland Park after I'd torn my bike shorts, "Hey, Yo ass is hanging out!" I thought about denying that it was my ass, but I ended up waving and saying "Thank you!" :-)

Maybe I'm just lucky. My rides in Detroit are always fun and memorable.

Now, north of Eight Mile is where I get the verbal abuse. Some of the worst I've ever heard was during Thanksgiving on my own street. When you're zipping down a road surrounded in a steel and glass cage, it's easy for drivers to take their tensions out on the vulnerable cyclist.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4326
Posted From: 141.217.173.16
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Ras! That will show them. promoting stereotypes against the African-American race is tottally offensive. Black-folks don't just put in their blings, wearing blood and crip clothing, play basketball, pretending to be MAMMIES and Uncle Toms in the south, listining to Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap and promoting thier thug lifestyles on videos or do crime. They are race that can change the LIES and DECIETS from the foundations of the United States.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 560
Posted From: 69.129.66.130
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People tell others they're a long way from home is hardly "hate." It may not be welcoming or it may be a gesture of surprise, but it isn't as intense as "hate."

People talking smack about Detroit from Grosse Pointe? That's as regular as the sun coming up each morning.

Gravity, your frustrations aren't unmerited. But this is a town full of racial strife. Just don't become part of it, like I'm beginning to.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Vas; on the statement ..... and, personally, I don't think anyone really gives a flying fukk if he was addressed in that manner, nor what the fukk he heard in Gross Point!! Go figure .....

Black-atcha ....

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1299
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the post fishtoes2000. It seems from your experience that the streets of Detroit are more friendly to cyclists than those in suburb land.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every other major city its not an issue. If you argue or disagree that's exactly what it is nothing more. Here any little friction between us it turns into a race riot. Next time a person ask if you're far from home just say "yea if you think 2 blocks are far". Listen YBPs are moving to Novi and YWPs are moving to the City. The YWPs have to realize that City living is different. A different mentality and attitude. Its where the weak are killed and eaten.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3646
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well; we see Paulj try to cover his ass, while demonstrating his ignorance. I have NO NEED to uncover my biases .... methinks they're well documented on this web site and VERY CONSISTENT too. btw: NOT WRITTEN in INSECURE RACIST CODE either, like yourself.

Just be glad I wasn't the one that saw you. I'd have knocked your dumb-ass off that bike!!! Just because it's you!! (oh schitt, it wasn't you riding the damn thing in the 1st place .... ROFLMBAO)

If you read my my post correctly, and not filled with your bullschitt-projections (as Time Wise asserts); you would know that I don't deal with your bullschitt code ..... and most other intelligent Black Folk won't either!! So it won't be a big deal if you take your, "...pushing 30 and don't see any meaningful progress in the above-stated situation happening in the next ten years." ass away from here and please don't let the "door-knob hitcha" on the way to being LONG GONE!!

Black-atcha .....

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 19, 2006)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 766
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever the weather is nice, my girlfriend, who is white, walks across downtown to her job. She loves the walk, feels safe and has only had one bad experience that stands out. While walking to work, some random black guy tried to sell her a tootsie roll for 50 cents. She said "No thanks" and walked on. He then said, "You would have bought that off of me if I had been white." She immediately did an about face and bit his head off, saying "No, I didn't buy it because I don't eat candy, a$$hole." She stomped off, day ruined.

My point is this is just one instance out of thousands of trips she has made throughout the city. Things like this are bound to happen, especially in an area as racially charged as Detroit. I laugh them off and shake my head when a stranger drops a bomb like that on me. I'm not going to let some random jerkoff's cracked out comment dictate my mood for the day. I just don't have time for it. Besides, the number of positive comments I hear from people around here far outnumber the dumbschitt negative ones.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen Birth of A Nation? Detroit Clownsil meetings are potrayed in this classic, epic!

Livedog2

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3460
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras, you are so correct about how people start looking for specific patterns in life. Is it out of boredom? Racism is a human thing. It just seems to be practiced more by certain groups in certain places under circumstances…no apologies for anyone here at all.. For most rational folks, it simply exists…it is what it is…but for others they seem to want to find out. They want to dissect it and explore it. Wouldn’t it be great if everyone worried about himself rather than a certain group. That is the way America should be. Individualistic!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, it's worth noting that I have heard a lot of minorities living in the outlying 90-percent-white suburbs complain about almost the same exact experiences Gravitymachine is talking about. Roles are just reversed.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 75.10.20.30
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, it's worth noting that I have heard a lot of minorities living in the outlying 90-percent-white suburbs complain about almost the same exact experiences Gravitymachine is talking about. Roles are just reversed.

Exactly.

Paulj

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 144.160.130.16
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no ass covering going on here, buddy....

just watching your rant degenerate from going off on your broken-record tangents to proud threats of violence. You gonna keep this show up? because if so, I'd like to go get some popcorn & jujubees...

Theres no code here, but i suppose if you're pre-concieved notions dictate theres a code, no-one will convince you otherwise. The only thing I judge others on is weather they greet the world with an outstreched hand or a closed fist, and you've just illustrated which camp you belong to.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 921
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Ras', careful! 'y-t' is gonna confuse your creative tension with the 'mad black man disease! __ ya' know king-kong on top of a building horrifying 'y-t__ that's what's happening! It's a severly trying experience for 'them'.

You're simply pointing out the subtle xenophobia, code-switching and downright racism of white supremacy!

'y-t' ain't started hang'n in the hood yet, where the real defenders hang-out! __so they ain't seen nothing yet! Save the can of 'WHOOP ASS' for now, we might need that later__ just keep hit'em wit' the TRUTH!

super d(motordetroit)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1398
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm pushing 30 and don't see any meaningful progress in the above-stated situation happening in the next ten years. It takes too long to change a culture, and my g/f and I have decided that *if* we ever want to raise kids, they won't be angry, cable-TV watching, bling-wanting, mean, mcdonalds addicted SE Michigan kids. It takes a village to raise a child, and this one is stocked full of some real idiots...

That is not SE Michigan, that is America in its current incarnation.

Hatred breeds hatred. Racism breeds racism.

Danny

Post Number: 4336
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Becuase E_hemingway,

Most predominately white suburbantopians in the Tri-County Area practice a new strategy called " INVINCIBLE SEGREGATION" Where minorities are welcomed but they will not be treated as neigbohoods. Most white folks in their piece an quite suburban communities will just avoid the negro and other minority doings until they get in trouble. Years later as property values get cheap most white folks will be able to move away and to replace by more blacks and ethnic minorities. And that black neighbors wonder as they scratch their heads saying, " HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

E_hemingway

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you're awesome. I'm converted. Speak on brother.

Danny

Post Number: 4337
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d,

Have you not hear the words of TRUTH from the datas and thesis of Rasputin's reports? Have you read his viewpoints and deciding through your human psyche that his proof is FALSE and the white man's side of the story is TRUTH? Once again you are still hidden beneath the matrix of the white man's LIES and DECEITS. Next time into the web, read the newspaper and uncover the codespeake of words from the persons side of the story and don't misjudge the person's TRUTH and exchange for LIES!!! Maybe you want to look in the bible in the book of Romans and you find out what Father, Son and Holy Spirit os tell mankind THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH and accept it as TRUTH.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3464
Posted From: 68.79.82.99
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cue the race card.

Cue the fear factor.

Cue nothing will ever change.

Why even bother?

Possibly if we keep trying for change, it just may happen?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.209.164.246
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people (all of you!) suck. My last post.

(Message edited by oliverdouglas on June 19, 2006)

Danny

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliverdouglas,

If you want to get the people in this forum belive your post, make it like a college interlectual essay/term paper. Provide your sources, data, write a intro: thesis: agruments: and conclusions: that defends your thesis. GET THE FACTS, KNOW THAT TRUTH, AND BEWARE OF LIES.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 69.212.49.111
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a break from work with a coworker and walked down E. Jefferson to a store to get some ice cream to snack on.
We were walking a few feet behind a man who was singing away to himself.
He suddenly stopped and turned around, looked at us and said "Whoa!? There goes the neighborhood!"
He was smiling and laughing and we didn't take any offense.
I just smiled and said "Yep, get used to it"
He just laughed and said "have a good day"
I said the same.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 69.220.62.66
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin can take it as he sees fit, but if Danny starts agreeing with me all the time, I'm going to be in a world of worry.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_ you beat me to it, its America, not Detroit. Although I will say that the issues seem to overboil here.
I just returned from China, and I was appauled at the way they view Americans. Then after being there for awhile, I was appauled at Americans myself. People over there don't get mad about the small stuff, even though they are worse off than we are on so many different levels.
People feed off of being assholes to eachother, and maybe because I live here I feel like Detroit is such a problem. There's no way I'll raise a kid here, be it in Detroit, Bloomfield Hills, Novi, Westland, Pontiac, Livonia, etc.
Maybe I am thin skinned, so be it. I'd rather be that way than a toting asshole anyday. I like being nice, and it's just not appreciated around here.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I visit Detroit often, it's not the same as being there day to day. But as a frequent visitor, I'm always happy to get the smiles and help from the folks I encounter when taking in some of the sites or just doing a few chores around town. In fact, when the weather's nice the smiles are so common that it gets a bit much. Of course, I've also received the insults from strangers, but the difference between the smiles and verbal abuse isn't a race issue, it's an obvious economic one.

Where do I get the good welcome? When visiting the casinos, the DIA, the VA hospital, Avalon bakery or the Wayne State offices, all locations where people have decent paying/respectable and somewhat secure jobs. (The reception I get when visiting the institutions looking like they are going to close soon, ie, the Historical Society or Public Library, is much more guarded.) The verbal abuse I've received has almost always been when I'm taking advantage of the free parking on the west side of downtown, which is still mostly derelict.

As for the rest of the city, the burbs, bars, venues, or restaurants, the response is pretty much the same as you get elsewhere in this country, neither one way or the other.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1562
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in a few different areas of the US and visited for extended times in other cities, both in the US and around the world.

Detroit by far as some of the worst blatant racism (which many folks around here on both side of the divide seem to think they've cleverly shrouded in a code word or two). However nearly all areas of the world have issues with racism.

Folks from the Detroit area just put it out there, which is good because at least you know where they stand on things and aren't surprised by their actions/thoughts one day. However this is bad because it creates a culture where racist thoughts and actions are seen as OK, at least among homogenous groups of people.

Elsewhere folks have received the message that it's not OK to use racist terms, including code words. The type of behavior and speech used in Detroit would not be accepted hardly anywhere else in the US. This is good since folks are more aware of their neighbors who do not look like them, but bad since it can create a lot of underground stuff that totally shocks you and comes out of no where.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit by far as some of the worst blatant racism (which many folks around here on both side of the divide seem to think they've cleverly shrouded in a code word or two).

Oh, you mean like "y-t" or derogatorily referring to a black mayoral candidate as "Helmut?"

Rasputin

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel ya Super_d ..... just had to let 'em know that their bullschitt is so shallow that my 3 year old grand-daughter could decipher that schitt.

King Kong fukked with 'em didn't he? The MoFos used that image featuring a popular basketball player storming thru NY while saying, "Got Milk?" It went right over "Y_T's" head as being cute & amuzing. Mayhaps they should read, "Mariners, Renegades and Castaways: The Story of Herman Melville and the World We Live In", by CLR James. His analysis of Melville's great white Whale just might tighten up some of those lips!!

You might want to check out Brother Khari Enaharo's book entitled,"Race Code WAR, The Power of Words, Images, and Symbols..." Here's a quote from the preface:

quote:

It is the intent of this work to show how words, symbols, colors and images are used to nurture and sustain the practice of modern racism. Some of these racial codes are exposed, explained, and examined in this book. My objective is to show how words, symbols, colors and images are used in a systematic manner to hide racism. This racialized form of communication is part of a long-running history that has had the affect of an undeclared war on the development of Black people here and abroad.

Black-atcha .....

addendum: Danny, get your thinking cap on and read for content, and not that insecure, deception bullschitt called white folk's "supremacy projection"; hidden in the words called "niceness!!"

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras, do you use your left or right hand to spew that hate?

Rasputin

Post Number: 3649
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior-fan: We don't hide it ..... we say it!! and in/to your FACE too!! Ya might wanna ask Helmut about that!!

Black-atcha .... "Y_T"

Rasputin

Post Number: 3650
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use your words, so-called Funkycarrie; albeit non-deceptively too. Go figure ....

Black-atcha .....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, though race seems to prevade everything else, there are many fine nuances of the issue. The racism may be right on the surface, but the whole area just seems depressed and beaten. I love the area, but it's just completely toxic for too many people. Progressive-minded folks will find themselves largely suffocated. It's definitely not an environment for the faint of heart, that's for sure. People may describe this as the region being "tough," but it my opinion it's gone beyond just being tough to be chronically (and maybe terminally) negative.

Ravine

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, that one of the most outspoken decriers of racism, in this forum, is a racist. But it's O.K., because you're black.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich-that about sums it up for me. I love Detroit as well. As a history/anthropology major this is one of the key places to be in the US in regards to United States history. I'd love to stay here and do more research, but it's wearing me thin, and I need to go elsewhere. Luckily I have other countries and the great open west to still explore.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras, thanks for proving my point 110%
if I could right now, I'd shake your hand.

Ravine

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carrie, don't shake his hand. You might wind up with Danny's "emissions" (now there's a "code-word" for ya) on your fingers.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funkycarrie,

Also, creative class aside, much of the region reaks pure havoc on the health, both mental and phyiscal, of its residents poor and rich, alike (but more so on the poor). There is really no way my parents, in good conscience, could have raised me where I was born. We were one of the dirt poor families that luckily had enough support from our extended family to leave the heaviest of the negativity behind.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for you Ewwww ..... FUNKYCarrie:

quote:

The modern racist speaks in code about most things that are racial. It is amazing how innocent-sounding words that seem to have no apparent racial meaning or identity can, over a period of time, become racially derogatory references. ... Why risk calling a Black male or female a socially unacceptable name or direct racial word such as NIGGER when they can be called racial code words using socially acceptable language with terms such as crime INFESTED, lowering the property values, gentrification, Inner City, or social disinvestments.

Code words make life that much better/easier for a smart racist. He/She can talk about and control Black people without them raising hell! Code talkers try to use coded language to call a Black Man a NIGGER to his face and get him to laugh about it and accept it! In the real white supremacist culture, code language is taught and used as everyday communication.

Racial code words are non-racially identifiable words, terms, phrases, and sentences or slogans that are used as surrogate language. The racial code wording process produces perceptions that are generally misleading and racist in context. [Note: read LMichigan's use of "negativity" or your "niceness" = if they act like me.]

Go figure ..... on niceness!!

Black-atcha ..... and speaks directly to you, unabashly and uncensored!!

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 69.242.214.142
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone

question for Rasputin: is something racist about that?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it was, because you didn't first and foremost address us proud, superior, Black forumers with the dignity we deserve. Racist! :-)

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I'm racist, I've got a huge interest in Native American History and cultural anthropology with regards to minorities worldwide and the History of Detroit Jazz...
you got me there ras!
Good job! A+

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich...thats another reason that we want to leave this region. I'm an asthmatic with horrendous allergies that all seem to disappear whenever I leave the area (not so much disappear, but much easier to control).
Along with the economic crisis that is here now, I really don't see any other option but to get out while I'm still young and I have a chance.
Plus I need mountains....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking more about stress-induced physical illnesses. All in all, the region actually has cleaner air and water than quite a few of the booming sunbelt sprawlers. And, personally, weather would factor in very little in my choice to move somewhere. My point was particularly about the toxic social environment with tension you could cut with a knife. No one deserves to live like that.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do kidney stones count?
I've got 13 of those to pass.
I'm falling apart at such a young age...

The region does have clean air, but since I've moved downtown I've been a sinus-resperatory wreck. And I hate it, I'm not about to go live elsewhere in this state.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8560
Posted From: 70.53.97.136
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep feeding the so-called educated fool...
Any asshole can spew hate. But how many people can build bridges?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight...if a crime-ridden, white-trash neighborhood becomes hot and hip, and spurs "white" redevelopment...and we say it is being gentrified, the white people moving in are calling the white people being pushed out the n-word? Haha.

Gannon

Post Number: 5926
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

You are so steeped in your unforgiveness and hatred that you miss out on the simple chance to cross paths with someone who is sharing a good thought or emotion or experience?!

There can only be something wrong with someone sharing 'niceness' to someONE who always twists his perceptions to fit his anger, anguish, and pain.

You must live in a very cold and dark world indeed.

Cheers for a warmer and brighter chance tomorrow!

the above contains NO coded language or indicates any form of implied intent on the part of the speaker, any misunderstanding OTHER than a welcoming of said 'Rasputin' to at least give a fair-skinned humanoid a chance to just be polite is absolutely the fault of the reader

Livedog2

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you are dumb -- anger and bitterness are a life sentence of self-imposed incarceration in your own head. But, when you are intelligent -- it is a death sentence imposed on yourself everyday that is commuted everyday.

Self-hatred and self-loathing are the juices that propel this never-ending cycle of imposition and commutation because punishment and the reinforcement on a daily basis have become your raison d'tere Mr. Rasputin. Oh, and all of this schitt is a good attention getter -- albeit a negative attention getter but attention getter none the less!

Wait a minute, I don't think you are black. Or does the self-hatred go to the extreme of giving yourself the handle of a White Man named Rasputin? Come on with all that Black-atcha ..... stuff. I’ll bet you’re a White guy, living in Mt. Clemens taking on this alter ego just to stir-the-pot-up. Fess up and tell the truth now that I’ve, “put you out on front street” or to extend the code, “put your business in the street.” Gottcha, didn’t I Rasputin! Tell the truth.

I haven't had this much fun since we got my little brother out of Northville!

rasputin

Livedog2

Danny

Post Number: 4345
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

I understand the matrix behind the LIES and DECEITS of the white-man's American. As I read you post and context very cafefully. I just turning into the Ghettoman's version of codespeak.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3653
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that your brother is mentally challenged, Livedog2. Mewonders if it is hereditary and affected you too? Fun?? Northville Psychiatric Treatment Center??? Fun??? Sick is more like it!!

Did you know that Rasputin was NOT a Caucasian? Better do some REAL research and stop talking out your ass!! This Rasputin has lived in Detroit longer than your young, dumb-think-you-kool ass has been alive. Your foolish and immature "projections" don't work here. Reread, since the author's point appears to gone right over your head; "...The racial code wording process produces perceptions that are generally misleading and racist in context." Methinks the proverbial "shoe" fits you.

Carrie: "Niceness" and "allergies" have nothing in common!! Go figure ..... although it would have been much clearer and discernable to state that your allergies/health are the reasons for your discomfort; not whether people are nice or not. There are no rules, laws, etc. that require humans to be nice. Niceness is a very subjective term. Your health is your problem, according to your post!!

Now, I'll get to the "don't know who or what I am" GOAT. A Canuck by nationality that can't even obtain equal rights in his own kountry, but wishes to continually speak on Detroit. Go figure on a well trained, brainwashed ..... er, whatever!! btw: The PowWow is nearing!! (a coded message to GOAT!!!)

Focus... doesn't deserve an intelliegent response, since he wrote a stupid statement. Just letting you know, I read and evaluated it!

Gannon, you have finally made a correct statement!! You're absolutely right in mentioning that you & others like you will NEVER BE FORGIVEN!! We took that lesson directly from the Jews ..... History, Holocaust Museum and all!! Go figure .... on my not having any interest in meeting you, and NO .... I do not live in your self-described world. Mine is vibrant and very full of life + I don't drink cheap beer either (roflmao). Mayhaps you need to reread the thread for the intent.

Enaharo's statements seem to have struck a real nerve with those sickly looking, insecure MoFos that are responding. Mewonders why???? No, I don't!! But, I'd betcha you know why!! Mayhaps, this will help you further along in understanding your bullschitt!!

quote:

In a racially coded environment, it is very important to understand that most messages are NOT FUNNY JINGLES or CUTE PUNCHLINES made up to amuse people. These are powerfully effective forms of communication that were developed by experts in areas of propaganda, public manipulation and subliminal communications and are taught as the norm to certain segments of the population to conceal actual intent; hence the term "buzz-words" (not names) and their continual usage.

To give benefit of the doubt, it is possible that the hidden messages/buzz words may have been an accident or an unintended outcome. However, the developers and users of these slogans know or should know the subliminal and hidden meanings of their work. When a significant number of hidden racial trigger words are discovered in a speech, slogan, or writing, it raises the question to whether it is an accident or purposeful.

Racism in plain sight is covered up by a barrage of coded words designed to tell a lie that is supposed to be believable. [Note: i.e; Livedog2]

So y'all keep wondering if "the City will heat up" this summer ......

Black-atcha .....and not "sleeping with the enemy!!" [your code in use]

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 20, 2006)

Ravine

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, Livedog2, 'sfunny you mentioned that. I have suspected, for some time now, that Rasputin is actually a white guy pretending to be a fire-breathing black guy, so he can more easily seduce little Ukrainian girls on the web, who will figure that he has a big schlong.

Livedog2

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For somebody that doesn't give a schitt about white people or what they say we seem to have lots of free rent in your head, Rasputin.

Livedog2

Rasputin

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Livedog2 .... does evrything seem to go over your head or are you just plain stupid?? (Wait, don't answer that!! You may not know the difference!!)

Mesaid, your opinions ain't worth a "rat's ass" with regards to the governing of Detroit!!! Is that clearer for you?? Mayhaps you should have been in Northville with your brother!!

Black-atcha .....

Paulj

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so a kook finds another kook who wrote a book, and suddenly he's justified.... Are you one of these guys scanning the skies for the black helicopters that signal the new world order?

rasputin If I walked into a store and ordered a coke, would you tell me that i'm actually a cocaine-frenzied drug addict, and maybe didn't even know it, based on my use of the code words? I mean I must be, right?!

Your authors points might ring true in some situations, but you've convieniently skipped over a huge piece of his theory: intent. Isn't it possible that some people just have an aversion to people with sociopathic dispositions reguardless of their background?? Maybe, out side of your twisted one-issue one-dimensional world there are people who judge others (to take a quote) by the content of their charachter? Maybe there are those that judge others based on behavior alone and dont view the world thru your single-minded filters?

Based on the way you carry your online persona, I highly doubt you take any pleasures in life beyond lauging at others... Though I suppose It's hard when you're paranoid and think the whole world is out to get you over a single issue.

Oops, my popcorns done, you got any animated gif's over there or are you going to continue to lob racial insults from behind your keyboard while calling the rest of the world racist?

Livedog2

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you say, "animated gif's...?"

poodle

Livedog2

Rasputin

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take great pleasure in laughing at you, Paulj ....so do the others reading this as I type. Go figure ....

None of the author's was intent was skipped. Read up the thread, you might find it; apparently you haven't read the book if I judge what you've written in your post. So please, no more of that "misleading" bullschitt!!

btw: I'd presume you wanted a coke!! But, you may well be a "cocaine-frenzied drug addict". Even if so, I prolly wouldn't give a fukk!! Maybe that's why you eat popcorn while others of us are eating a real breakfast/brunch!! Go figure ..... sarcasm included.

Since you need a .gif ..... deal with the code in this one and act according. I'm sure this isn't the first time you've been told to do that!!

Paulj

Black-atcha .... wathing them "scratch where it don't itch!!"

Super_d

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Ras' resinating like a brilliant Symphony, like a Master Lyrist!__ problem is...'them people' from the 'sticks' ain't comprehending your improvisational mode of protean edification.

'Ras' Make'em pay for yo' Harvard-style erudition!

Your brilliant attempt to offer important social interaction has been curtailed and mitigated by 'y-t' into a game of 'red-necking' synify'n__go-figure simply because the 'white supremacist' on this site refuse to allow the 'Black Man' intellegincia to filter into their off-beat beatnik mentalities to offer any critical exchange and broad reflection.

look'n in on 'y-t's natural behavior system...use code-speak like, " Raz, your really a white guy"

translation...' gawwww-lee' the dark man is a smart boy!

'Danny' yo' peeps need you.. cause 'Ras' done......

OPENED UP A CAN OF WHOOP ASS ON YA!

super d(motordetroit)

Ravine

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hearing that the admission price for Rasputin's "lecture" in Dayton was twelve empties and some "gently used" Cottonelle.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"translation...' gawwww-lee' the dark man is a smart boy!"

If we're still talking about Ras, that goes along way to explain why Detroit is still in the shape it's in.

No "code speak" Ras is an idiot.

Livedog2

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin and Super_d are boys in the small sense of the word! The best I can hope is they both end up like Rasputin's namesake. The odds are that if they keep up the kind of "wolfing" around real people instead if virtual people their checks will get cashed with a cap. The best thing either of them can do is for their bodies to provide fertilizer for some crop of turnip or mustard greens on the Eastside in what use to be a vibrant neighborhood before people like them showed-up.

Livedog2

Rasputin

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When ya want me Livedog2 ..... Methinks I can drum up a very large can of "whup ass" just for a smelly, pimply faced asshole such as you.

Yeah, Super_d: brought out all the "white supremacist" redneck in them, didn't I? All that real HATE the dumb-fake-asses harbor. Schitt is easy to do to inbred ingrate dogs. Now, they wish us DEAD!!!! (roflmao) Go figure .... As an aside: they should be bowing and scraping to Mayor Kilpatrick. He's the only person stopping a whole-sale "kick-ass" convention according to word on the street that these hicks walk/ride/shuffle down sporting a fake-ass grin while schittin' & "trembling" in them filthy-grungy jeans and rolled-billed ball caps. and they do pay for this "edumacation"; dummies are just too damn stoopid to know it!! Remember Shine and the Signifying Monkey??? MoFos don't know ..... so to let 'em know: We don't sell "Wolf Tickets!" That's for light-weight, maggot-brained idiots from the 'burbs that don't have the soul of a flea.

So my only comment of substance to the fool is this: "Tell yo momma to get some more insurance on ya and Bring it on!"

More code for ya about the canine above:

quote:

Vibrant Area, Normally Peaceful Neighborhood ---> translated;
This term is used when anything happens in a predominently white community The goal is to deflect derogatory images. The normal course of events is to ensure that Black people, and others of color, are the real varmints and their communities are where the the criminals reside.

This is also code for the suburbs. The term, when used by white people, area/neighborhood/community means an area where White people live in dominant numbers. The area where the white supremacist has created the impression that they are peace loving, quiet and civilized people. The image is of a white picket fence, which when decoded means a white and protected area with friendly people with no crime, criminals or thoughts of criminal activity. In reality, it's quite the opposite. They pose as civilized wonderful people - the salt of the earth, a progressive society - while they steal, use/exploit, and wreak havoc and destruction/degradation all over the world.

That statement includes Detroit! Just read the 2-legged canine's post. It doesn't take a high school graduate to decipher his message!!! Go figure .....

Black-atcha ......

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 534
Posted From: 12.214.88.193
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I demand to know who woke the old fella from his nap??

Ras, you're so cute...

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 24.247.222.121
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its not your city, nor is my city, its our city. vent your anger into something positive, like mowing a vacant lot.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 68.42.133.85
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find downtown Detroit to be pleasant; people seem very friendly.

Ras, here's some code: the Black political class in Detrot has utterly failed the people who live there by fostering a corrupt and incompentent city government whose malfeasance wreaks an economic horror upon the inhabitants of the city that rivals the worst effects of a 300 year legacy of racism. I bet you're card carrying member of that self-seeking, stubborn, myopic, hypocritical pollitical elite whose failings have so mightily contributed to the city's problems. You should divert some of your energy from blaming white people to solving basic malfunctions within the city that are at present nobody's fault but the leadership who runs the city.

Gosh, I hope my code wasn't to subtle for you.

(Message edited by ray on June 21, 2006)

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.47.189.98
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras: Have you read _Another America_ by Kofi Buenor Hadjor? If you haven't...he was part of CLR James' circle and I think his work adds to what you (at least in my reading) are arguing here... that there is no way that a white person can move beyond being a racist in that by virtue of being born white and learning to be white (even if they imagine that they are the most non-racist on earth) that they are part of a racist social structure in which their every word (even when spoken with the most earnest of intentions) is racist. Just as all of us who are heterosexual experience heterosexual privilege, so do all white folks experience white racial privilege. No matter how many "friends," "beads," cds, passport stamps, or adopted children you have, you white person are a racist in that you benefit from being white in ways you may not even be aware of. There is no such thing as a "good WHITE person." Whiteness as you learn it in this country, by definition, stands in opposition to all those "darkies" and that wonderful term "poor white trash"--with WHITE being the most interesting part of the term. (how's that for code?)

You think and speak in ways that are racist in ways you may not be aware of. How could you not? This is perhaps the hardest part of being a so-called white anti-racist. Admitting that you, by virtue of your birth, are part of the problem in this current system that is much bigger than any..."I don't judge anybody by their skin tone" statements/upbringing.

As a side note: In good Marxist tradition however, and this is where I think Elder Ras would have problems with Hadjor, he argues that creating a class of black "empowered" business owners will not get rid of the extreme inequality in this country (so my boss is black instead of white, Arab, or Jewish and I am helping to sell afrocentric products...I still am providing surplus value to the "entrepreneurs"), because k-ism is in itself the root of all isms.

P.S. CLR James is not a kook, but a respected (even by those who are not Marxists) brilliant scholar.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2116
Posted From: 66.2.148.33
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an idea:
John Kronk gym is in danger of being closed due to budget cuts!
How about we get all these racist idiots in there for a boxing match to raise some dough...(although I'm not sure many would pay to see it).
Imagine, With a bit of luck, they will all knock each other out, or at least will injure their hands, and thus will be unable to use their keyboards for a good couple of weeks.

Livedog2

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't "want you" Rasputin because I don't want to interrupt one second of your hateful, misery. Besides, don't try to create an aura of self-importance by thinking I "want you." You didn't mean schitt to me yesterday, you don't mean schitt to me today and I still won't know or give a fukk about who you are tomorrow! So, blow your bad breath at somebody else because that's the only thing bad about you!!

Livedog2

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 4.229.60.106
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enaharo's discourse on white code-speak rings true on an anecdotal basis, but taken as a whole his conclusions read merely like a militant's fantasy come true. If one wants to be a militant, one needs an enemy. Any enemy will do, and one will be created if necessary. His problem, and Ras's too, is that his opinions and theories don't prove that the enemy exists, they presume it. Once you set up the straw man of white supremacy, there's plenty of everyday ordinary examples of the human condition and experience that one can point to and declare that they've found more racism.

Intellectuals like Enaharo give cover to arm-chair observers of the local, national and global community who need an excuse to avoid confronting their biases and problems. Nothing coded here, this applies to Ras. The hard work is found in confronting, understanding and working with people one perceives as the opponent or oppressor. One is not doing hard work if the only activity is educating others on who the bad guy is.

Here's more non-code. The "long way from the hood" comments are wrong and are examples of black people who are moral failures. But it is impossible for Ras to admit that. Enaharo probably can't either. In their world, black folks clearly live on a higher moral plane than other people. Accordlingly, they are immunized from receiving valid criticism from those others, er, I mean those supremecists. (Supremecist is kind of a code word isn't it?)

The tenacity with which Ras firmly grasps and promotes his belief in the pervasiveness of white supremecy evinces his strong will. One can be certain that his opinion will never change. His views are immutable to be sure.

Standing strong and immutable in the face of criticism is often a positive and admirable trait. Taliban leaders are also immutable in many of their views. For example, they believe that women who venture into public without a burka shame themselves. They are confident that those who believe that Islam requires the burka and adhere to the proscription are morally superior to non believers. It's unlikely that their views will change.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3901
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's still living within the mindset of a 1960's Black Panther, but they didn't work now, and they didn't even work then. It's really ironic because a strong will can be both a good and bad thing. It is clear, at least for me, that's it's gone far beyond being a good thing for him. It's really quite ironic that he resembles so much the people he simply hates for the sake of hating. In many ways, he's like our own president, who has convinced himself that there is a boogey-man around every corner, and that because of this he can do and say anything he wants to with infallibility. When our world is threatened from beyond or within, we will see how important our forced divisions are to us. And, it is just that, forced divisions. Humans have to literally force themselves to see their differences. If we were all alike, after all, we'd be forced to accept social and personal responsibility for how we treated our fellow man, and we just can't have that, now can we?

Rasputin

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich: Enharo's book was published in 2003. CLR James work that I mentioned was published in 1952. Go figure ..... on mindsets w/ dates. More "misleading" info from you! Tsk, tsk, tsk .....

Jacaden: I am vaguely familiar with the author's name, but have not read any of his writings. [Note: I will look for his book today; thank you] However, if what you have written is his basic thesis, it holds plenty of merit. Social commentary and anti-racism author Tim Wise asserts the same conclusions as your Hadjor; as well as Dr. Neely Fuller and JA Rogers. Racism is a LEARNED European behavior; in some cases for a lot of people "from the cradle to the grave." The denial, read on this thread and others, is nothing more than a coded "cover-up."

But, I must say that to lump or marginalize CLR James' thesis into that of Marxist banter is nothing more than a "misleading" statement on your behalf. Although having been a Trotskyite in his early years and disagreed with the theorists of that day, I do not believe his discourses on RACE and Race Relations had any Marxist theology imprinted on it. James had become a staunch Pan-Afrikanist after WW2. I tend to think James wrote more along the lines of JA Rogers (Superman to Man) and Dr. Fuller (Fuller Interviews). The latter used the following definitions in the THE UNITED INDEPENDENT COMPENSATORY CODE/SYSTEM:

quote:

Fuller breaks down his idea of there being 3 basic types of people in the known universe, that being white people, non-whites and white supremacists/racists. In his explanation, white people are "people who classify themselves as 'white' and have been classified as 'white', accepted as 'white'... and who generally function as 'white' in all of the nine major areas of activity." He defined non-whites as "people who have been classified as 'non-white', and/or who generally function as 'non-white' in their relationship with each other..." Last, white supremacists/ racists are "people who classify themselves as 'white', and who generally function as 'white', and who practice racial subjugation (based on 'white'-'non-white', at any time, in any place, in any one, or more of the nine major areas of activity."

The 9 Areas of People Activity are (1)Economics, (2)Education, (3)Entertainment, (4)Labor, (5)Law, (6)Politics, (7)Religion, (8)Sex and (9)War

If you do not understand 'white' supremacy(as racism)-----what it is, and how it works------everything else that you understand, will only confuse you".

In neither James' nor Fuller's works was any form of "-ism" mentioned or alluded to. btw: Dr. Grace Lee Boggs (Detroit Summer) and her deceased husband/author, Mr. James Boggs (Detroit) were close friends/associates with Mr. James before his demise.

Back to Hadjor and your assumption. Your assumption (in the 2nd to last para) may hold merit, but I can't comment since I don't have a clue to what "k-ism" refers to and have not read, nor evaluated his body of work.(Kapitalism? Kommunism?? Kolonialism???) Care to elaborate?

I refuse to be like Swingline and just throw IGNORANT "misleading" and fence straddling statements , which I deem totally incorrect - info and assumptions, up on this thread .... no matter how well it sounds/is written.

quote:

Racism in plain sight is covered up by a barrage of coded words designed to tell a lie that is supposed to be believable.

In any case, I do agree with your last statement.

Black-atcha ......

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1318
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

super_d said about Rasputin:

quote:

Your brilliant attempt to offer important social interaction

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10196
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downtown today heading to the C.A.Y. building and I saw the Channel 7 new van pulling off to the side of the road. They began unloading their equipment. For those who don't know, they are based in the suburbs, Southfield I think. I almost asked "A long way from home ain't we?"

Gannon

Post Number: 5974
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...if ONLY they'd have crossed your path a little, say, later in the trajectory of your evening.

I can just see you now...strutting away flashing hand signs, saying, "Detroit ROCKS!"...as they gape at the back of your head bobbing into a mullet-free Wayne's World crescendo.

But that's a good idea, Sport. We ALL start saying it, it'll become a catch phrase inner-city joke and diffuse the sting.

THAT or...it'll boil into a major race riot...

Livedog2

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, quit teasing me! :-)

Livedog2

Gannon

Post Number: 5976
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 = Anarchist?!

Livedog2

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you are prescient! Go to Non-Detroit Issues and look for the thread "People that did it their way..."

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, "Livedog2 = Anarchist?!"

Right on the mark!! I've got a large dose of Sacco & Vanzetti in me. :-)

Livedog2

Rasputin

Post Number: 3661
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d: watch 'em talk irrelevant bullschitt and run back to discussing inanimate objects now. They can duck ...... but they can't hide!!! ROFLMBAO

Black-atcha ..... ROFLMBAO

Super_d

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too!(LOL)

super d(motordetroit)

Supersport

Post Number: 10202
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FINALLY, the old wise-crackin', gif postin' Rasputin is back to his former self after a little time off. Glad to see you shakin' things up a bit.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1126
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cincinnati transplant who was sold a bill of goods about Detroit is in typical form. Rather dull.

Might as well rent a horror movie.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I've been out of the loop for a while now, haven't been in the politically incorrect masses lately. However, where I come from, and that by the way, is DETROIT, saying you're a racist and then spewing whatever hateful nonsense you choose does not make it okay to be a racist.

In my point of view a racist is someone who hates another group of folks for no reason other than they are different. Guess I'm not a racist Ras because I dang sure don't like you but I have very good reason not to. Never have been able to stomach a racist. Don't give a flying flip if you're black, you're doing the same crap you accuse white folks of doing. Such a pity you're wasting what seems to be a relatively intelligent mind on such trivial.

Gannon

Post Number: 6014
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His relatively intelligent mind is in bondage to his hatred and unforgiveness.

He is a slave to them both...cannot imagine two WORSE masters.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting .... Pamequus thinks I'm dealing with his point of view!!! and that his unintelligent and non-accepted pov means anything to the larger world-view or defined entomology of racism. Such is that of a 'white supremacist"!!!!

Mayhaps you should read up the thread to see what the real authors have written. and please, no more dumb, feeble, unacceptable and uneducated, made-up-from-ignorance attempts at defining something your parents taught you. "The apple don't fall too far from the tree!!"

quote:

...white supremacists/ racists are "people who classify themselves as 'white', and who generally function as 'white', and who practice racial subjugation (based on 'white'-'non-white', at any time, in any place, in any one, or more of the nine major areas of activity...

Read it and weep!! It's about you!!!!

Black-atcha ...... watching ya SQUIRM from the weight of your own ignorance.

Hey Sport ..... they keep trying to jump outta the headlights!!!!! (ROFLMBAO)

Danny

Post Number: 4376
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's the answer to the word " WHITE SUPREMACISTS!" I wonder a black man who published a dictionary came up with the word?

Supersport

Post Number: 10214
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Sport ..... they keep trying to jump outta the headlights!!!!! (ROFLMBAO)

They may be the ones stuck in the headlights, but yer the one with the pedal to the metal trying to mow them down!

White-back-atcha ROFLMWAO too!

ps...I think I speak for all the whities when I say "We missed ya."

Rasputin

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, trying too!! and since when did all 'dem "Y_Ts" appoint you as spokesperson? Last schitt I read, they were speaking of you as if you were a "tongue wagging dog!!" Go figure ..... No matter though ..... just stay in the 1st definition and not the 3rd.

Black-atcha ..... hoping you're doing well.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, click on the link to Dr. Fuller above and check it out. Any 1 (or all) of the interviews.

Black-atcha ....

Pamequus

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras......I am definitely not a HE. Most definitely female.
You may attempt to slam me and my posts but your "educated" words will never substitute just plain good common sense, of which you appear to have little or none. Try growing up, seeing the world as it really is, stop putting the blame on all the ills of the world on white folks, accept some responsibility and move forward. THAT is what life is really all about.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you should see the world outside the view of an ignorant "white supremacist"!! Lotas white & Black folk do!! eh, Pamequus?

And I coundn't care less if you're a he or a she. Your responses stink of unmitigated "white supremacy"!!

btw: your "guilt schitt" is leaking thru that broken mask too!!

Black-atcha ......

Pamequus

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROLLING ON THE F**KING FLOOR LAUGHING AT YOU RAS.............White supremacist....LOL You have no clue what you're talking about. Do you really see white supremacist in every white face you see? They have a name for that in the medical books and I'm sure medication would help.

Supersport

Post Number: 10220
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe you should see the world outside the view of an ignorant "white supremacist"!! Lotas white & Black folk do!!

I have seen the light brother Ras! It was like a sign from God, he told me to contact you, as we're getting the band back together!

Super_d

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 'Ras'

'y-t's 'honest abe' stiick is tripp'n me out! (LOL)__ then too, their 'so-called' amerikkana 'hero's' helped establish this social system called 'white supremacy' in amerika, ie KKKris KKKolon, etc.....go figure!

That's called inherent racism. right? It rest upon the wicked soul's of your existence, waiting on the right opportunity to use it...

'u' know for preservation reason! oops! dare, I say that!

super d(motordetroit)

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 70.236.173.174
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I could remember Mr. Coleman Young's exact statement, but it so fits this thread that I hope he'll forgive me for my lame paraphrase:

"Racism is like high blood pressure. Folks don't know they have it until they drop dead of a heart attack."

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 993
Posted From: 70.236.173.174
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the peanut gallery chimes in with how supposedly "racist" the late Coleaman A. Young was, how many white appointees did Mr. Young have? Let's contrast that to the "non-racist" white politicians, such as LBP. Interesting...

I hope the man's resting in a well-deserved peace.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3909
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even you can't hold back the wave that's to come, Drm. An admirable try, though, and I even agree. I can't even begin to imagine how good a mayor he would have been in more economically and socially favoring times. Being a mayor in Detroit in the last 50-60 years or so is a lose-lose for anyone's legacy. A pity, really.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm,

quote:

I hope the man's resting in a well-deserved peace.

Mayor Coleman A. Young rests in Elmwood Cemetery, a very peaceful place.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin, super-d, enough already with the accusations and guilt-trip invocations. Instead, what do you propose needs to be done? To change things, to make it better? Be positive for a change

Livedog2

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try Ghetto_butterfly but they're stuck in their schitt!

Livedog2

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 611
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto,
I've asked Ras the same question too. I know he has a plan, but does he want to share it??? He should, because even the much lamented William_X had a vision.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, all Black Americans DO NOT...I repeat, DO NOT...believe like Super_d and Rasputin. They (Rasputin and Super_d) are part of a very, very, very, minute counter-culture within Black America that even Black America smirks at from time to time (i. e. whenever we decide to give them the time of day which is hardly ever). For the most part, those of us who are enlightened and not in bondage to hate and despair, embrace and encourage diversity or simply choose to go about our lives blaming no one. We are balanced in our views when it comes to defending injustices levied against Black America. Also, when such arguments are made, they are not done so out of bitterness, anger, racism, and simple hate. Perhaps they have their own reasons for contributing unproductive, embarassing hogwash on this forum?

Paddy
Username: Paddy

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 71.227.27.18
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Rasputin is the most entertaining voice on this forum.

Gannon

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate voices of reason where we can learn from each other...I'd rather be enlightened than entertained.

Thanks for the illumination, Shave.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3669
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel ya Super_d. That "Honest Abe" - "I didn't chop down the cherry tree" schitt is outta-sight!!! and yes, the actions/responses have been termed .... "inherent racism" .... encompassing "institutional racism"; the foundation of "white supremacy", bought into by folks of the 1st definition (and our wannabee 10%) sometimes unknowingly ..... but practiced never-the-less!!

I'm still amuzed at the rationalizations and denials popping up. Ya know, that "Oh NO, not me!" bullschitt!! ROFLMBAO ..... and now, someone asks for "the plan"!!!! Just how stoopid is that fool???? Go figure ..... on wanting us DEAD!!!

Black-atcha ..... noting: hardly 1 of them have discussed the various author's works!! Go figure ....

Gannon

Post Number: 6054
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

I'm still wrestling with that one fellow's division of human existence into NINE categories.

I think he's WRONG about that...haven't gone deeper until I consider where he's coming from with them.

I don't see WAR as a seperate category.

There is Economics and then Economic War.

Politics and Political War.

I think we could take that with each of the most basic of human existence divisions...even down to Sex and Sexual War.

Race and Racial War.

EVERY distinction between us allows us to war against each other. This is a certainty in every category IF individuals do not learn how to resolve differences and come to compromise and/or acceptance (even tolerance, at a minimum).

MY STAND, since the beginning, is that those differences are not enough for me to war against ANYONE.

I don't take those differences and make some win or lose argument...I think it needs to be win/win or we all continue to lose.

You know as well as I that the majority of the white population is losing overall if and when they don't interact with others that DON'T look like them.

I believe that is the case for ANY portion of the population that seeks to stay segregated, because that seperation allows further misunderstanding leading to negative experiences...which add up eventually to some extremist never forgiving and always hating...within some construct of racial division that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Like yourself...

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 65.42.241.168
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I feel ya Super_d. That "Honest Abe" - "I didn't chop down the cherry tree" schitt is outta-sight!!!

Go back to elementary school, you dumbass.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: Your initial statement ....

quote:

I'm still wrestling with that one fellow's division of human existence into NINE categories.

I think he's WRONG about that...haven't gone deeper until I consider where he's coming from with them.

tells all. How can you think 1 is wrong when you don't know "...where he's coming from with them"???? Go figure ..... on the rationale of/for your so-critical statement and whether there was any real substantive basis for your evaluation at this time.

Shark: you have a lot of learning to do regarding your own folk's language and the use of sarcasm!! Go figure .... on this "dumbass" and his word usage that caught your unenlightened eye!!!!

Black-atcha .....

Livedog2

Post Number: 497
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was George not Abe you dumbass!

Livedog2

Fury13

Post Number: 1130
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin rewrites history to his own liking.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might help you and others, Gannon:

quote:

THE CULTURE OF WHITE SUPREMACY

I. WHAT IS CULTURE?

A. A Definition

Culture is a way of life. (Definition by People’s Institute of Survival and Beyond in New Orleans.) Culture is passed on from generation to generation through institutions, groups, interpersonal and individual behavior.

B. FUNCTIONS OF CULTURE

For institutions: Culture provides the matrix out of which institutions grow, and the “glue” which binds institutions together in systems. Culture also provides the legitimacy and justification for the perpetuation of institutions from one generation to the next. (Material provided by Diana Dunn of People’s Institute.)

For example, a local public school can survive as an individual institution because some parents choose to send their children to the school. The school exists within the system of public schools in a particular city because tax payers are willing to continue paying taxes to support that school. And the entire public school system in a country can exist from generation to generation only so long as sufficient adults in the population believe that sending their children to public school will be beneficial.

For groups and individuals: Culture provides a sense of identity — who you are—— and a sense of belonging ——who you are with. It provides a sense of purpose —— your reason for being in the world—— and an orientation ——your sense of where you are going in your life (broadly speaking).

C. CULTURE AS A PROCESS

Culture is a set of rules for behavior. You cannot ‘see’ culture because you cannot see the rules; you can only see.. .the behaviors the rules produce. ..Cultural rules influence people to behave similarly, in ways which help them to understand each other... For example, cultural rules shape food preferences. ..The essence of culture is not these behaviors themselves, but the rules that produce the behaviors.

Culture is characteristic of groups. The rules of a culture are shared by the group, not invented by the individual; the rules of the group which are passed on from one generation to the form the core of the culture...

Culture is learned... What each person learns depends upon the cultural rules of the people who raise them.. .Because culture is learned, it is a mistake to assume a person’s culture by the way s/he looks...Culture can be well learned by some people in the group and less well learned by others...

“Cultures borrow and share rules.. .Cultural rules change over time, and sometimes when two groups have extensive contact with one another, they influence each other in some areas... (Excerpts taken from CULTURE AS A PROCESS by Carol Brunson Phillips; February 27, 1991. Thanks to lntisar Shareef for calling my attention to this material.)

II. WHAT IS WHITE CULTURE?

A. AN HISTORICAL DEFINITION OF “WHITE”

The term white as applied to people was first used by slave—owning colonialists in 17th century Maryland and Virginia to describe poor indentured servants who came from Europe. Originally, these servants had been called “Englishmen,” “Irishmen” or “Christians,” but the colonial ruling class began to use the term “white” to distinguish European servants from African ones, who were often called “Negro,” which means “black” in Spanish.

The Virginia legislature made the term “white” a legal distinction in 1791, after a series of joint rebellions by European and African servants, culminating in Bacon’s Rebellion of 1676, nearly brought down the colonial ruling powers. (Information provided by People’s Institute.) In the slave codes of 1705, especially in the “Act concerning servants and slaves,”colonial rulers gave poor ‘whites’ certain legislated privileges, such as a small plot of land or “freedom dues” (wages) after completion of their term of servitude; the right to sue their masters in court; and exemption from public whipping for punishment! At the same time, the legislature wrote the laws which provided the institutionalized foundations for chattel slavery for Africans.

From that time on, throughout U.S. history, to be “white” has meant to have access to certain forms of preferential treatment, and exemption from racial oppression, solely on the basis of European ancestry and (allegedly) “white” skin. Thus, the concepts of “white people” and “white privilege” share the same historical and institutional roots. And both terms are artificial, historical constructions to serve political purposes: creating separations among oppressed peoples on the basis of skin color and ancestral origin so that they would not unite against a common oppressor.

(For more on the historical origins of the terms ‘white’ and ‘white privilege:’ (1) Theodore William Allen, Class Struggle and the Origin of Racial Slavery: The Invention of the White Race. 1975 pamphlet. (2) Theodore Allen, “Introduction,” The Invention of the White Race: Racial Oppression and Social Control. Vol. 1. London: Verso Books, 1994. (3) A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr., In The Matter of Color: Race & the American Legal Process: The Colonial Period. Oxford University Press, 1980, especially pages 53—57.. (4) Lerone Bennett, Jr. “The Road Not Taken,” in The Shaping of Black America. Chicago, 1975.)

.... to be continued .....

Black-atcha .....

Livedog2

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fukk you and your history and you better be glad I'm not running the show because you wouldn't believe what would come next!

Livedog2

Fury13

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin:

We don't GIVE A SCHITT about yer cut-and-paste job!

Bitter old man!

Rasputin

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13: well, it's about time you showed up!!! Missed your true colors ....

ROFLMBAO

LiveCanine2: STFU and go back to your corner like a good puppy!! and stop pissin' on the floor from fear!!!

Black-atcha .....

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 24, 2006)

Livedog2

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fukk you Rasp you nappy-headed motha fakka. You get the kind of repect that you give which is none. Go back and hide behind your computer screen like the little bytch that you are where you think you're so smart and witty! You ain't schitt. You're so stupid, you asked for a price check at a 99¢ store.

Livedog2

Paulj

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 68.232.95.16
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<*crunch*> <*crunch*> on my popcorn....

...had no idea this wouild be a three-act show.

I dont care how many books you read there, buddy. It doesn't make their theories apply to me. If you really believe that what was stated above is true, i.e. if you really believe that people of a certain skin color have no choice to be racist.... well..

I knew if his cage was rattled he would show *his* racist tendencies.

Fury13

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, you're not a bona fide DetroitYES forum member until Rasputin has called you racist at least once.

Just love how you keep on "keepin' it real," 'Putin. You got SO much "street cred."

Livedog2

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, it's another slow Saturday. So, let me take my white ass out and take some photos of the vanishing Detroit ghetto. And, wax poetic about the days when we kept everybody in "their" place so we could keep the city clean, well-ordered and alive. It's alive, it's alive! Detroit, is alive and looks just like the Frankenstein Monster!

franie

Livedog2

Rasputin

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part II:

quote:

B. A DEFINITION OF WHITE SUPREMACY

White supremacy is an historically based, institutionally perpetuated system of exploitation and oppression of continents, nations and peoples of color by white peoples and nations of the European continent; for the purpose of establishing, maintaining and defending a system of wealth, power and privilege. (Definition by Mickey Ellinger and Sharon Martinas)

C. A DEFINITION OF WHITE CULTURE

White culture is an artificial, historically constructed culture which expresses, justifies and binds together the United States white supremacy system. It is the cultural matrix and glue which binds together white—controlled institutions into systems; and white—controlled systems into the global white supremacy system. Since World War II, the white culture of the United States has been the center of the global white culture.

D. WHITE CULTURE IS A DOMINANT CULTURE

White culture is not the only culture in the current territory of the United States. There are numerous others: many kinds of indigenous, African— American and African— Caribbean, Chicano and Latino with regional variations, a multiplicity of Asian cultures, indigenous Hawaiian, many Arabic cultures, and expressions of many European peoples.

But white culture is the dominant culture. What are some of the characteristics of this dominant culture? In thinking about these characteristics, please recall Dr. Wade Nobles’ definition of power: “Power is the ability to define reality and to convince other people that it is their definition.” (See “Definitions,” Political Perspectives. Exer. Manual.)

1. It defines who you are, and who “others” are in relation to you. For example, a white culture term for ‘people of color’ is ‘non—white,’ i.e., non—people.

2. It shapes your attitudes, thinking, behavior and values. For example, a white woman shrinks in fear when passing an African American man on the street; yet the great’ danger to white women comes from white men in the home.

3. It consciously and unconsciously suppresses and oppresses other cultures. For example, slave owners consciously suppressed African spirituality and taught Africans Christianity to make them ‘docile.’ Or, employers fire workers for speaking Spanish in a restaurant, but promote workers who speak French.

4. It consciously and unconsciously appropriates aspects of oppressed cultures. For example: every form of African American music: gospel, blues, Jazz, rhythm and blues, and rap, has been copied by white musicians with no credit given to the creative sources of the music. Or, white New Agers become instant healers, charging hefty fees, by appropriating ancient indigenous healing practices.

5. It is normative: the standard for judging values and behavior.

6. It is assumed, unquestioned, not on the agenda: the ways things are.

7. It is hidden -- not at all obvious to the dominating or oppressing practitioners, but often painfully, obvious to peoples whose cultures have been suppressed, oppressed or appropriated.

E. WHITE CULTURE IS A DEADLY BREW

White culture in the United States is complex. Because white supremacy is fundamental to the existence of this country, white supremacist culture is intertwined with other major cultural manifestations that make up the fabric of the U.S: the greed, competition and individualism of capitalism; male supremacist fear and hatred of the power of women; historical Christianity’S hatred and fear of sexuality, and its compulsion to divide humankind into the “saved” and the “damned;” and militarism’s glorification of war and conquest as proofs of manhood and nationhood that has roots an European culture going back thousands of years.

White culture is a melting pot of greed, guys, guns and god. It is a deadly brew.

(For a comprehensive critique of European culture, see Marimba Ani, Yurugu: An African—Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior. New Jersey: Africa World Press, 1994.)

III. SHININ’ THE LITE ON WHITE

In this section, I will try to highlight some of the ways in which white culture manifests itself in our daily lives. As you read this, please remember that this is a very tentative beginning of a new effort by many white activists in the U.S. to explore the meanings of white culture. Most analysis on white culture has been done by activists and scholars of color. Their work has inspired me to begin to do my own homework.

A. THE CULTURE OF RACIAL OPPRESSION: (CULTURAL RACISM)

1. White culture perpetuates the ideology that people of color are morally and mentally inferior to white people. Throughout the history of the United States, white culture has characterized people of color as ‘‘savage, ‘‘ignorant,’’ ‘‘depraved,’’ ‘‘bestial,’’ “lazy,” “dirty,” “illegal” and “criminal.”

This ideology continues unabated today. For example, white students and white workers assume that the only reason a person of color gets into college or into a good job is because of affirmative action: that is, the people of color could not have competed with the white person were the playing field “level.” In these examples, the white people cannot imagine that the people of color might be equally or more qualified than the whites for the positions they achieved.

2.. White culture stereotypes figures and behaviors of peoples of color. A common method is to take some cultural attribute forced on people of color by conquest and continuing racial oppression, and making that attribute into a symbol of the whole people. For example, the film Ethnic Notions by Marvin Riggs delineates a history of white stereotypes of African Americans in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Stereotypes such as the “minstrel,” the “mammy,” “coon’ illustrate forms of assumed behavior that is carried into contemporary stereotypes of African Americans embodied in terms like “criminal,” “gang member” and “welfare mother.” Forms change; meanings stay on.

3. By defining reality as white, and convincing peoples of color that white reality is their reality, white culture actively promotes internalized racism and inter—racial tensions among peoples of color. Internalized racism disempowers a person and a people. Inter—racial hostility prevents different peoples of color from uniting for their common purposes and against their common oppressors.

In this way, white culture expresses a successful white ruling class strategy of “divide and conquer.” Imprisoning a person’s mind is more thorough and long—lasting than imprisoning her body.

4. White culture labels the cultures of the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Arab world as inferior to cultures that have evolved in Europe. Furthermore, white culture actively promotes the historical lie that the culture that evolved in ancient Greece was the “fountainhead of western civilization.”

In fact, most of the great Greek scholars and poets went to Kemet (the name for ancient Egypt), which was an African culture and civilization, to study for years before they returned to create their own forms of wisdom. And the “renaissance” of Europe did not begin in Italy, as our textbooks say, but in Spain and Portugal which, under the African and Arabic Moorish Empire of the 8th through the 15th centuries~ preserved and recreated the wisdom of the ancient world, and developed the technology which allowed the Spanish and Portuguese to embark on their voyages of exploration and conquest of lands outside Europe.

Today, there is a white cultural war against African—centred research and scholarship. White academics call this scholarship ‘self serving.’ Yet few white culturalists would call traditional historical and anthropological research, “White Studies.”

5. White culture suppresses and oppresses the cultures of peoples of color as part of an ongoing system of conquest, colonialism and racial/national oppression.

For example, the movement, now a law in many states, of “English Only” is a specific form of cultural conquest of peoples from Mexico, Central and South America and Puerto Rico, which has its historical origin in the U.S.’s 1848 war against Mexico; and the 1898 invasion of Puerto Rico. “English Only” is cultural colonialism: the peoples of colonized nations are forced to speak the language of the conqueror.

6. White culture appropriates elements of the cultures of people of color in order to mask the underlying power relationships of dominant to dominated cultures.

For example: Rhythm and Blues is an African American musical creation, but one of its most famous exponents was Elvis Presley, a white working class man from the south. Many rhythm and blues artists die impoverished. Elvis is worshipped like a god.

..... More to come .....

Black-atcha .....

Paulj

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Mr John Engler,

Can we please have our mental health system back? we desperatley need it.

sincerely,
The state of Michigan

Rasputin

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You most certainly do, Paulj .... More than you even know!!

Black-atcha .....

Paulj

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I read the cut & paste job, I think of Right-wing NWO propaganda, conspiracy theorists, and the folks that think the moon shot was done on a sound studion in LA.

promote your propaganda, but please dont believe it applies to the rest of us because you think it's true. I'll say it again, the only thing I judge others on is weather they greet the world around them with an outstreched hand, or a cocked-back fist.

peace brother, heres to hoping you find it. I have.

(Message edited by paulj on June 24, 2006)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can we please have our mental health system back? we desperatley need it.

We have a mental health system, it's just at the County level instead of the State level. It's called "deinstitutionalization" and it began under President Kennedy. The goal was to get the mentally ill out of state hospitals where they were kept like prisoners and into treatment facilities in their own communities where they stood a better chance for reintegration into society. It began here in Michigan under Democratic Governor Blanchard, who closed 1/3 of the state's mental hospitals. It continued under Engler, who closed the remaining state hospitals over the course of 12 years (don't kid yourself into thinking that a Democrat wouldn't have also closed hospitals if Engler had not been elected).

Calling them "hospitals" is a misnomer, these places were asylums where mentally-ill people were locked up for the remainder of their lives so that the rest of society didn't have to look at them, and abuse and neglect was rampant in these facilities. Blaming Engler may be fun, but it is hardly accurate, since the state hospital system was doomed long before he ever took office.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deinstitutionalization or not, as much as the old system may have had its flaws, the new system is no better, especially with the growing needs for more facilities. It wasn't just a deinstitutionalization, it was a dismantling of a system with a bare-bones (i.e. ineffective) system built back in its place by handing the issue over to already cash-strapped county governments.

3dim
Username: 3dim

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't ras breaking copywrite rules?
just sayin'....

Gannon

Post Number: 6064
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come ON, Gravity-man, even in your 3rd dimension you've got to see his point, though. He was ONLY talking about comparable music careers with similar music styles, NOT that the dude had somehow come back from death.

And that would be copywhite for Rasputin...but I'm giving him no grief for pasting stuff for us to help learn his point of view.

Who knows, he may be right...or just better armed and more well-poised to take advantage of the coming civilian economic disturbances...

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 69.216.103.55
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad, for some people, all they have is hate, bitterness and an extremely narrow world view:

Liberals try to suppress facts that counter their vision.

Despite the warm glow of self-satisfaction that the liberal vision confers on liberals, ugly facts keep intruding to undermine that vision. Some liberals eventually jump ship and defect to conservatism when the facts keep piling up too high to ignore.

This takes time, of course, and in the meantime there is a never-ending supply of new young people to become charmed with the liberal vision and replace those who have become disenchanted with it.

Other liberals hang on to liberal ideas to the bitter end -- especially when the end is not that bitter for them personally, when they live insulated lives in academia, the courts, foundations and other places where there is no price for liberals to pay for being wrong, no matter how disastrous the consequences for others.

Still, facts are a danger to the vision. In recent times, those on the left have increasingly sought to suppress facts that go counter to the vision.

Research dealing with innate biological differences are of course anathema to those with the liberal-left vision. Even research that turns up cultural or other behavioral differences between groups is almost as great a danger.

Both kinds of research undermine the notion that there are "solutions" that government can impose to eliminate differences, gaps, disparities or "inequities" that liberalism claims to be able to eliminate.

Scientific research into differences in the way male and female brains function is denounced by radical feminists, who are calling for a ban on such research. No matter what the MRIs say, the radical feminists say all differences are due to "society."

Liberals have worked long and hard to get the very word "sex" replaced by "gender," since sex is an innate biological fact while gender is an arbitrary social designation, much as the French language assigns the female gender to the noun "plume" for pen.

It is a sign of how easy it is to stampede large sections of society that so many people now find it necessary to refer to gender instead of sex, even if they have not bothered to consider what the difference is or why they have changed what they say.

When it comes to racial and ethnic minorities, liberal politicians and judges can make it literally a federal case to give IQ tests to black children. Among the facts that we would never have known if some people did not find ways around this taboo is that black IQs have risen in recent times.

The greatest danger to the liberal vision are facts about the consequences of liberalism itself and the laws, policies, and ways of life that the left has spawned.

That the black family, which survived centuries of slavery and generations of discrimination, has disintegrated in the wake of the liberal welfare state is only one example.

Liberals have been driven to the desperate expedient of attributing this and other social pathology in today's ghettos to "a legacy of slavery" -- even though black children grew up with two parents more often under slavery than today.

Blacks only a generation or two out of slavery also had higher rates of employment and lower rates of crime than today.

The illogic of the "legacy of slavery" argument only illustrates the desperate attempt to salvage the liberal vision.

The very people who argue this way would never be guilty of such illogic in discussing something that was not such a threat to their vision.

One of the most telling examples of the social destructiveness of the left's welfare-state vision can be found among the white slum dwellers in Britain described in the brilliant and insightful book "Life at the Bottom" by Theodore Dalrymple.

There it is not possible to blame social degeneracy on slavery, racism or any of the other things cited as causes of the behavior and consequences found among blacks in American slums. Yet the results are virtually identical, right down to children beating up classmates for trying to get an education.

The vision of the left, full of envy and resentment, takes its worst toll on those at the bottom -- whether black or white -- who find in that paranoid vision an excuse for counterproductive and ultimately self-destructive attitudes and behavior.

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305. His column is distributed by Creators Syndicate, 5777 W. Century, Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90045. His column is published Thursday in the newspaper and Sunday online.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part III:

quote:

B. THE CULTURE OF WHITE PRIVILEGE

White privilege is the other side of the coin of racial oppression. Therefore, it should not be surprising to see that the culture of white privilege is a mirror image of the culture of racial oppression.

1. White culture perpetuates the ideology that white people are morally and intellectually superior to people of color. For example, many suburban white women and men think they get into college because they are “more intelligent” than Chicanos, Native Americans or African Americans; when, in fact, they get into college because their high schools prepare them more effectively for college boards than do most high schools in urban areas.

2. White culture stereotypes figures and behavior of white people. A common method is to take some cultural attribut~ which is the result of hundreds of years of institutionalized white privilege in the United States, and projecting this attribute as solely the result of the person’s individual, heroic efforts.

For example, the son or daughter of a European immigrant is portrayed as having risen to wealth and power from initial poverty solely as a result of moral fortitude and hard work. But, in fact, European immigrants historically have both worked hard and received privileges from the U.S. government that people of color (whether they were immigrants, indigenous or kidnapped) have been historically denied at different times.

European immigrants (differentially for men and women) had the right to become citizens, the right to own land, the right to bring and to live with a family, the right to travel in search of work, the right to vote, the right to practice their own language and religion without interference, the right to organize mutual self—help societies and small businesses without being broken up by white mobs, the right to a public school education, the right to bring suit and testify in court, and the right to hold public office. 3. By defining reality as white, and convincing white people that it is their reality, the culture of white supremacy is portrayed as universal, applying to all humankind.

For example, a “History of Western Civilization” begins with Greece, then moves to Rome, then Europe, ending with the United States. But this is a course on Europe, (which is fine provided the course begins with the contributions of Kemet to Greece), but it is not a course on “western civilization.” Another example: ABC network tells its reporter covering the elections in South Africa to put an “Americans in South Africa” spin on the story, otherwise U.S. readers will not be interested in the story!

Or, white feminists create brilliant analyses of patriarchy coming from their European cultural experience, and then try to generalize this analysis to the relationships between men and women whose ancestral cultures originate in Africa, the Americas, Asia or Arabic world. And, we call the white women s movement, “the women’s movement.”

4. White culture provides a normative standard of behavior for one living in a system of white privilege. These norms are usually manifested in the arrogance of white entitlement —— an assumption of how a white person expects to be treated in the world.

Some examples: Getting angry when we have to wait in a line too long; speaking with authority, as if we are sure of correctness; talking as long as we wish, often interrupting others; getting outraged when our First Amendment rights to peacefully gather and protest are violated by police (when police violate similar rights by people of color every night, just for gathering in a group). Note: white feminists often call these forms of behavior ‘white male arrogance,’ but I believe it’s a feature of white culture which white women, now that we have more ‘equality’ with white men, practice often.

5. White culture creates white bonding, that is, the cross class allegiance and sense of commonality that non—ruling class oppressed white men and women have with the white ruling class, on the basis of “white skin” and European ancestry.

White bonding covers up the class exploitation of poor, working and middle class whites by the ruling class, by deflecting the problems of oppressed whites from the ruling class to people of color. White bonding prevents white women from using the potential power of their vote as women because they usually support the interests of middle class and rich white men more than the interests of men and women of color.

White bonding is at the core of the Christian right’s ‘family values’ ideology. It evokes an image of a white nuclear family in a 1950’s suburb: a suburb that practiced legal residential apartheid. White bonding is the cultural basis of racist jokes and language; it assumes of the white listener, “You know who I mean.”

White bonding is at the core of the attacks on multi—culturalism. It assumes that the only culture that should be taught in schools is white culture. White bonding calls the U.S. “America,” a term which properly applies to all the nation—states on this continent.

White bonding is one of the bases of the current anti—immigrant racism sweeping California. The bonding is a reaction to the terror that most white people feel at the prospect that the majority of California residents will soon be people of color. I doubt that anti—immigrant ideologists would be using the phrase, “drowning in a sea of immigrants” if the immigrants were coming from Canada.

In my opinion, white bonding is the most significant cultural barrier preventing oppressed whites from challenging the interrelated systems of oppression in the U.S.

C. THE CULTURE OF WHITE NATIONALISMS

The culture of white nationalism is the expression of the historical fact that the “founding fathers” intended this nation to be one of, for and by white people; and that the struggle to make it a nation “of, for and the people” goes on to this day.

1. The culture of white nationalism provides an identity, purpose, orientation and sense of belonging for people who immigrate to the United States from Europe. The term for this process is usually called assimilation. What it means is that a person of European descent agrees, consciously or unconsciously, to give up parts of her/his European ethnic heritage in exchange for becoming white, that is, accepting and expecting white privileges, and a sense of superiority over peoples of color, especially African Americans.

This assimilation process began in the 17th century, when the European colonial elite in Virginia began to call European indentured servants “white,” instead of “Christian” or “Englishmen” or “Irishmen,” in order to give them a sense of distinction and separation from servants of African ancestry. Each subsequent generation of European immigrants has gained acceptance into the white mainstream when they have begun to act in accordance with white bonding, and the majority of their organized ethnic sector have consented, by silence or action, to the oppression of peoples of color.

(For example, see David R. Roediger, The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class. Verso Press, London, 1991., Chap. 7 “Irish American Workers and White Racial Formation in the Antebellum United States.”)

2. White culture appropriates elements of European ethnic cultures in order to increase the ethnic grouping’s sense of assimilation. For example, pasta became “spaghetti” and is now available in your local super market.

3. The culture of white nationalism has transformed pride and love of country (patriotism) into a glorification of the military conquest of nations of color. Historically, this military conquest has always been justified by religion: Pilgrims took the land from the “heathens.” It was “manifest destiny” for the U.S. to conquer Mexico in 1848. It was “God’s will” to make the world “safe” for democracy. God was on the side of the “smart bombs” that obliterated a hundred thousand Iraqis.

4. Under the guise of the imperial we, white nationalism assumes that the United States can interfere in every nation of color in t,he world, and that somehow that intervention will be beneficial to the residents of that nation. The current justification for this national arrogance is “bringing democracy” or the “free enterprise system” (i.e. capitalism) to the invaded nation.

(* The term “white nationalism” is used by the noted African American historian John Henrik Clarke. I first heard it in an interview by Dr. Kwaku Person—Lynn taped in 1991, and aired during KPFA’s African Mental Liberation Weekend of May 17, 1992.)

D. THE CULTURE OF WHITE HISTORY

U.S. “history” is based on a lie. Neither children’s nor adult textbooks tell us that the United States was created by invasion, conquest, land theft, genocide and slavery: that, in its foundations, it is a white supremacy state. Instead, history writers fabricate an “America” as a land embodying the Declaration of Independence: a nation based on freedom, justice and equality for all its peoples.

The historians also ignore, or trivilialize, the continuous history of resistance by peoples of color against this unjust foundation. Young people learning about the African American freedom struggle of the 1960’s are taught that it all rested on Martin Luther King having a dream, and not the massive organization of millions of African American people and their allies.

Without a thorough understanding of the U.S. past, there is no way we can adequately understand how white supremacy works today, or to plan strategies to challenge it. Our political vision gets framed in a thirty second sound bite.

E. DENIAL OF RESPONSIBILITY

Absence and falsification of a nation’s historical memory fosters a personal and collective denial of responsibility for racial injustice and oppression, past and present. White people say, “I didn't own any slaves,” as if living in a system whose wealth was created by enslaved African labor did not directly benefit their ancestors. Liberal whites assert, “I don't see color; I just see people;” a statement of unwillingness to look at reality. Whites of conscience justify their unwillingness to protest racial injustice by complaining that, “I have no power,” when any accurate reading of history indicates that organized protest creates the power to effectively challenge racial injustice.

Denial of responsibility for racial injustice takes many forms. Among the most common are: + Blaming people of color, the targets of racial injustice, for the effects of that injustice; + Promoting “equal responsibility” theories for addressing the effects of racial oppression; + Hiding the centrality of institutional promotion and perpetuation of racial injustice (the ‘one bad apple’ mythology); + Focusing “blame” on one individual’s behavior, rather than looking at the institutional and cultural context for that behavior; + Tokenism: the effort to overturn racism in a white institution by hiring one person of color in a leadership position, while leaving the racist politics, practice and power intact; + Judging racial oppression by the intent of the oppressor rather than effect on the oppressed; + Speaking and writing with racially color—coded terms, such as “criminal,” “illegal alien,” “welfare mother,” “drug dealer,” “gang,” etc., instead of the racial epithets that were common before the end of legal apartheid in the 1960’s.

How can you tell when a white person is denying personal responsibility for racial injustice? Listen for the “but.” “I'm not a racist, but...”

How can you tell when a white person is denying collective responsibility of white people and white institutions for racial injustice? Look for the passive or inactive voice in the verbs. Such as, “The indigenous people died of many diseases.” or “The young man was made homeless...”

..... Still more to come .....

Black-atcha ..... refusing to deal with the highjacking and sidetracking!!

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

Will you stop with the madness, already!?!? Sheesh! You lend no credibility to the suffering of Black America. What you are doing is simply giving people a reason not to care and to thumb their noses at our present plight. Yes there are problems within our race that need to be addressed by the larger society. However, what you are proposing, via simply pointing and blaming, is not looking at the intra-racial discord we have brought upon ourselves. Like the article Gildas shared suggests, how much of our "plight" (if in fact one exists) is the result of guilty, White liberal and self-interested Blacks, keeping us (Blacks) in our present state of victimization? Think in terms of the failure of the Black church to properly address issues affecting Black America. Is it possible that Black ministers want to continue to see their flock in spiritual bondage for their own selfish reasons? After all, if people begin to think for themselves, then perhaps they will begin to question and revolt against the charismatic nature of the leader. Hmmm...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.