Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Behind the loss, GM improving « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again,....Dont know how significant this is, but i'll take anything at this point.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060718/NEW S99/60718002

As one major shareholder pressures General Motors Corp. to form an alliance with Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co., GM’s upcoming financial report should show that the company is in the midst of a turnaround on its own, industry experts say.

GM likely will report an overall loss with its second-quarter earnings report due out next week. The company is expected to take a $3.8 billion charge for a massive employee buy-out program that reduced its workforce by 35,000.

But aside from these special expenses, analysts expect GM to post a $250 million profit, according to a survey of analysts by Thomson Financial. GM posted a net loss of $987 million in the second quarter last year.

While the bottom-line number this quarter could look bad, GM has made major strides in lowering its overall costs, giving the company a better chance of making money in the year ahead, analysts say.

“If people don’t see that GM is already turning around, they’ve had their eyes put out with white-hot pokers,” said David Healy, an analyst with New York-based Burnham Securities Inc.

The second-quarter earnings season kicks off Thursday with reports scheduled for Ford Motor Co. and Johnson Controls Inc.
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 159.53.78.143
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find this article offensive, as my eyes were recently put out by white-hot pokers. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.