Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Potentially Good Red Wings News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 64.118.151.178
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TSN Canada is reporting on its web site (www.tsn.ca) that Ed Belfour is working out in Florida for the Panthers today. If he passes their tests, the report says Florida is expected to offer him a one-year contract. Better than him coming here.

Is it time for the Wings to swallow their pride and try to get Manny Legace back? He was not the only problem in the playoffs, and his "shortcomings" could be attributed to the rest of the team letting him down. That's a point that has been debated before and isn't worth getting into again. But what are the Wings going to do for a goalie?????

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they should hire big ben. he worked for the pistons.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasek, anyone?

The Wings could sign Hasek and Belfour and use Belfour for spare parts, i.e. lend his groin to Hasek.

Actually, I believe there are still a few good goalies available on the trading block. However, the price (in terms of players) and price tag may be high.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1937
Posted From: 198.151.12.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When does football season start?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 207.148.213.218
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Is it time for the Wings to swallow their pride and try to get Manny Legace back? He was not the only problem in the playoffs, and his "shortcomings" could be attributed to the rest of the team letting him down. That's a point that has been debated before and isn't worth getting into again."

It doesn't matter if he can 'possibly' play better in the future maybe. The team has no confidence in him, as a number of articles and quotes strongly suggested, and when you have no faith in your goalie you play like shit. He'd have to improve to Hasek-like numbers for his bad reputation among his teammates to go away. Even Legacy himself acknowledged as much, saying he realized later on that his lack of confidence in himself affected his teammates. Lesson learned a little too late.

(Message edited by hockey_player on July 19, 2006)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legace is a lifetime back up who choked when he got his chance in the playoffs. Give it up.

The rest of the NHL has already figured it out. He is an average goalie who played behind a great regular season team and posted awesome numbers as a result.

I'd would have rather had Osgood start the playoffs last year and this season before Manny. At least he has won a cup .

Hockey_player

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. The facts don't lie - if he's so good, how come not one of the other 29 teams has shown any interest in him? Because he has shown he is a choker who crumbles under pressure, which is the essence of the playoffs. Anyone can win in October, but you have to be strong-minded and confident to win in May or June. Legace is neither.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 867
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooh. I agree that legacy is a lifetime backup, but to say he choked is exagerating. he played well most of the series, but he would have needed to be flawless to make up for the uninspired play of the rest of team. the point is, we needed a superstar goalie, and a superstar legacy definitely is not. I don't understand packing the team's roster with superstars, then continuously expecting to win the cup with an average goalie.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening faceoff of 2006 free-agent season
Updated 7/18/2006 4:51 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

NHL FREE AGENCY

Free agency 2006: Our full team-by-team list of who's staying, who's going

Top five by position: USA TODAY breaks down who's available

By Mike Brehm, USA TODAY
USA TODAY's list of the top five available free agents at each position:
Top 5 goalies

Manny Legace, Detroit ($1,162,800): Though he faltered in the playoffs, he did go an impressive 37-8 in his first season as a bona fide No. 1 goalie.

Dwayne Roloson, Edmonton ($1,672,000): The run to the Stanley Cup Finals should help his case. And don't forget that he led the league in save percentage in 2003-04 when he was with Minnesota. The Oilers would like him back. UPDATE: Re-signed with Edmonton

Martin Gerber, Carolina ($1,064,000): Forget about how he lost his job in the playoffs. The Hurricanes were a non-playoff team for two seasons before he arrived and he took them to a division title. UPDATE: Signed with Ottawa

Chris Mason, Nashville ($450,000): He acquitted himself well filling in for ailing Tomas Vokoun down the stretch. UPDATE: Re-signed with Nashville

John Grahame, Tampa Bay ($1,162,800): A few times in 2003-04, he looked ready to take the No. 1 job away from Nikolai Khabibulin. He didn't impress the Lightning this past season, which is why they traded for Marc Denis. But a lot of teams are looking for goalies. UPDATE: Signed with Carolina
______________________________ ___________________
Notice who of the alledged "top five" is still available.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "...he would have needed to be flawless to make up for the uninspired play of the rest of team."

But my point is they played uninspired because it's hard to play inspired, aggressive hockey when you have to constantly worry that your goalie is about to let in another soft goal at an inopportune time. It makes the players hesitant on offense because they're too concerned about making up for the defense the goaltender isn't providing.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for the Wings to move in a new direction. Only goalie that would have been the right long term fit would have been Roberto Luongo and he's in Vancover. Start Ozzie and have Jimmy Howard as the back-up. Seeding in the playoffs means nothing as Edmonton and Calgary have proved the last few years. Earn the #8 seeding and you will go deep.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1443
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The young goalies all need to play not sit behind a stiff like Osgood.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny signed his death warrant with his quotes about his play during the playoffs. I wondered "If he doesn't have confidence in himself, why should anyone else?"
Then, he goes and says he won't be anything but a starter after having a lousy series. Go figure.
I get a bad feeling when they talk about bringing in Ed Belfour. It reminds me of what happened when they brought in Rogie Vachon.
Rogie was a complete bust and the Wings gave up their top center to get him.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1041
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belfour blows.

I have always been behind Manny, and while I don't think he played to his potential in the playoffs, I truly feel it was his nervousness combined with the rest of the team's lackluster effort (Yzerman excluded, god that guy looked like a stud out there), combined with an excellent Edmonton team that resulted in the 1st round dismissal.

Legace would come back, lesson learned, more confident in himself, not so nervous about the playoffs, and everything will be great.

Osgood is NOT the answer. Neither is Belfour. Manny is the way to go.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10344
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When does football season start?

Late start this year, not until the Tigers win the World Series. :-)

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 146.9.221.148
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News today is that Belfour has signed a one year deal with the Florida Panthers. So we dodged the bullet on that one. I say bring in Jimmy Howard from G.R. No more old men in goal!

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew, glad that Belfour didn't end up here.

Sorry, but I have to put my money on Legace, over Osgood anyway.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, this debate again. Yet still, nobody in the entire league wants Legace...

At least Belfour is in Florida, where there are bars galore for him to get hammered in, sparing us the spectacle.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny Markov signs with the Wings.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_sto ry/?ID=172414&hubname=nhl

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/pl ayers/bio/?id=559&hubname=nhl

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 153.90.110.16
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what Peter Ing is up to nowadays? The look of the available free agent market for netminders .... yikes. Maybe if someone called Tim Cheveldae .... Who knows maybe the Spitfires or Whalers could share one of their goalies.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 146.9.221.148
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Cheveldae in an old timers game about a year ago. Same old sieve! Now Eddie Mio....

/snicker

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 153.90.110.13
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Time Cheveldae was ridiculously awesome. I think the last NHL team he played for was Winnipeg. Eddie Mio was cool though

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3580
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...the lads just re-upped with Dominik Hasek.

I'm still VERY wary of this deal. I'm not sure if it's Kenny Holland's thought that the team has to have a verteran goalie but personally I wouldn't have minded seeing them let a youngster ride it out for once- let Jimmy Howard give a go at it.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 69.14.18.137
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, but maybe Howard wasn't quite ready. He looks all of 14 years old and was very nervous in his few times in net with us last year, even for preseason games. I'd prefer to go with youth too, but you can ruin a young goalie for life by putting him in over his head too early and shattering his confidence.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 12.32.128.68
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sound familiar ---- ^^^^^^^^^^^

Cough .. Manny..... Cough .. Ahem.

Hasek was lucky for us last time, let's do it again. Not to linger, but manny definitely did not make those key stops that a stanley cup goalie is known for. Gotta step up big and shut the door in the playoffs if you want to win.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dallas Stars have the same problem with Marty Turdco - he puts up great stats in the reg season and then when the playoffs come - CHOKE !
This has happened several times now and the Stars are locked in a $ 6 million/yr contract with Turdco and so they live with it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.