Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Delphi Execs. get greedy again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1705
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the latest on the Delphi crooks. Asking your line workers to take a 50%+ paycut while you get multi-million dollar bonuses is a great way to build worker trust and appreciation.

I think a cripling strike is a forgone conclusion at this point. What do Delphi line workers have to loose? It's a good way to ensure that your execs. don't get their bonuses! To Solidarity, Brotherhood and Sisterhood!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060720/AUTO0 1/607200378

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the other side of it is that if you get rid of the bonuses, you risk losing a huge motivating factor that is desgned to get the executuves to put in that extra time in order to meet financial goals...and missed financial goals could mean the end of the company, resulting in massive job losses...

I agree that we're talking about greed here, but it's a competitive world, very few people are capable of runing large companies, and without incentives, you can't attract/retain top talent

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1706
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And without competent line workers you won't meet your financial goals either. Delphi needs top talent on the production floor as well. They're not going to get it with this plan. I wouldn't be surprised if folks started wildcat strikes with this announcement.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 149.149.5.32
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, go on strike and show them capitalists that you mean business. I mean, YOU might lose your job when the company shuts down, but at least they won't get their bonuses. Really, that isn't being short sighted at all. I mean, it's not like those execs have any money, I'm sure if the company shut down they'd be really hurting just like you'd be.

Take the damn pay cut!!! It's not like you guys aren't overpaid anyways!!!

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides that tndetroiter, the way labor laws are set-up nowadays, either they force you back to work with a presidential emergency order, or find out they can run the place with 1/3 less people, fire your ass, and hire someone else at half of your old pay!

Thejesus

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos:

It's all about supply and demand. There are a shortage of people capable of runing a large business, but there is an abundance of labor at the present time...cutting the pay of the executives would send them running...cutting the pay of the labor won't affect them as badly

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a team of talented and well paid executives in place before the bankruptcy. This talent pool missed their financial objectives and resulted in earning being reinstated for several years. The executive pool has changed but there is still no accountability! If the company goes under, they are going to make sure that get paid!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this controversy is just posturing on the part of the union. Note that their main argument is not with the incentives themselves but that the incentive targets are not set high enough.

The union knows that they have long fought against incentive-based pay for their members, but they also know that this is the norm for upper management in all companies, whose pay can vary significantly depending on how well the company does.

The Free Press article on this subject makes it clear that no bonuses have been paid out to Delphi managers for performance in the first six months of this year.

Thejesus

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs:

And if you take those people out of the pool, then there's even FEWER executive-types to chose from...such is the world of big business

(Message edited by thejesus on July 21, 2006)

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus: What is the average salary of an executive at a Japanese auto company compared to an American auto company? It's much lower. Which one is performing better? I worked for a Japanese company for five years. Guess what was on the wall in my office in three foot letter:"WITH OUT FAIL"? This is what all my bosses said to me;"No excuse, I don't care. Doo it. Just doo it." My boss held me accountable. Money doesn't buy ambition, drive, accountability or intelligence. If it did then Japanese companies would fail left and right.

Thejesus

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs:

Unfortunately, we're not in Japan. The US economy has not evolved the way the Japanese economy has. If an American company were to try to hire and retain executuves on a salary equal to about 10-12 times what the average laborer makes, the won't get any takers. The people capable of filling that position will just go work for a company that will pay them 200 times what the average laborer makes instead, since there are plenty of them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.