Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Arts as an economic draw - Detroit Cultural Center at Stage 4 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 533
Posted From: 69.209.147.12
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060723/ENT 05/607230520

I know there are many artists on this forum, including Lowell himself. Please share your thoughts in regards to comparing Detroit with towns like Saugatuck and Stratford, Ontario ?
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1711
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not an artist, but I am an arts tourist. When I visit different cities across the country, I usually end up going to an art museum/gallery or arts event in my free time. I find it's one of the best ways to really get to know a city.

Detroit may not have a lot of the big, fancy museums that other cities have (the DIA and Cranbrook are world-class, but they're only two places), but they have an amazing array and number of events and gallerys doing cutting edge things all the time. Maybe it's due to the low cost of property/rent, but Detroit has a wealth of artist groups all over the city. I can't think of many cities with the level of arts activity as Detroit. When I have friends and relatives visit from out of town (Minneapolis; Chicago; Athens, GA; Baltimore, etc.) they're all amazed with the arts scene here and usually leave jealous of me!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.