Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Granholm Hijacks State Web Site « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 69.209.182.243
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I needed to do online business with several states today including Michigan. I found most states had helpful, well organized sites that were particularly friendly to business users.

Michigan's was a convoluted mess, full of fluff and nonsense, that took me considerably longer to navigate and get what I needed.

That's when it me: The Michigan site -- an important public and business development resource -- is on its face a cynical campaign ad for Granholm.

Its as small data point, but so telling of the clownish nonsense that hobbles our poor state year after year.

Here are all the other states sites:

Michigan http://www.michigan.gov/

North Carolina http://www.ncgov.com/

Delaware http://www.delaware.gov/

California http://www.ca.gov/state/portal /myca_homepage.jsp

Texas http://www.state.tx.us/

Florida http://www.myflorida.com/ (note a little foolery on the welcome page, but then click "resident, business, visitor" buttons and it's a powerful, no bullshit taxonomy to get work done.

One can (sort of) understand our govenor's self-adulation on the homepage. But then you go into "economic development" and its another campaign ad, with the information for business crammed off to the side.

I especially love placing the left-wing and utterly demagogic " Petition Against Higher Gas Prices" on the state's Business Development Page. What delicious irony!

(Message edited by ray on July 23, 2006)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in: conservatives get panties in bunch, hijack DetroitYes.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After viewing the michigan.gov website, then viewing the websites of the other states, I am forced to agree with you. I noticed on the other states' official websites, their governor is mentioned only once, usually off to the right in a small banner. Granhom is mentioned no less than SEVEN times on the michigan.gov webpage. And all the mentions are touting her "accomplishments."

Notice the "spotlight" section (which is front and center on the webpage) is COMPLETELY about Granholm. The Newswire is also completely about Granholm. Even the "First Gentlemen" has a link.

Ray

Post Number: 737
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fcusnthed,

I appreciate the importance of not misuing the forum, and your vigilence in pointing out that my thread is admittedly at the edge of appropriate topics.

In response, however, let me say that city can no more be seperated from the state than they can from Wayne county. In particular, the central issues facing the city are economic, and these are inexorably connected to state governement.

I believe that the policies of the state have been a human and economic castrophe for its residents, most especially the people living in Detroit, and I think at a minimum the state and its leadership deserve our closest scrutiny.

One final point: state politics is relevant to Detroit because in fact the 4.5 million residents of metropolitan Detroit exert great, if not nearly complete, control over the state.

(Message edited by ray on July 23, 2006)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 71.227.48.51
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure can't tell it's an election year from the State of Granholm site.

I wonder how much she pays for that public service anouncement page?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke :-)

I agree, it does seem more personal than the other states, but I'm not sure how that relates to some of the larger issues we have in the state. It is a bit in bad taste to the degree it exists here, but she is allowed to put her name on State news, IMO.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4025
Posted From: 67.185.217.114
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, like DeVos wouldn't have his faced plastered all over the site if he wins. He'll post daily bible verses, and link you to his families Alticor site to pick and choose your favorite products. lol

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan...too right!

Warriorfan

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My two favorite links, one was the "Granholm Signs Legislation to Help Keep Michigan Safe" link. Hey, who doesn't like a vague reference to safety? Thanks for protecting me Jenny!

The second was "Governor's Talk Early And Talk Often Program Now A Model For Other States." Don't pat yourself on the back too hard Jenny, you might hurt yourself! And upon reading the article, I discovered that "model for other states" actually means that it will be included in some type of audio conference for people from around the country.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 418
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to be the King, or in this case the Queen.

Now if only she could find a way to manipulate the unemployment numbers.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 24.208.231.212
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Bush Hijacked the White House webpage.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.188.189.29
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich99:
that would be the equivilant of http://www.michigan.gov/gov/ - the official home page of the governor. The White House, being the president's home, would be expected to have a page with the presidents name plastered all over it.

However, go to http://www.us.gov/ and you find nothing about Bush.

Regardless of who is in office, I feel this is at best a questionable use of state resources. I wouldn't have any problem with this info being on the governors home page, since accountability is definitely needed. But plastering it to that extent on the state home page is an advertisement in my eyes. There are a million othere state services that belong on there before that. I wouldn't even mind a small section dedicated to news from the governors office, but the amount shown now, overshadowing everything else, is ridiculous.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Granholm fan, it does strike me as a bit tasteless but I gotta agree with Lmichigan - Dick DeVos, the ultimate Amway huckster, would also have his mug all over that site. Hell, he'd probably rename Michigan 'Alticor.'

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2480
Posted From: 4.229.72.247
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets keep this thread civil, we don't want all those political zealot trolls coming over from Non-Detroit Issues. :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until I read the press release, I thought maybe the "Governor's Talk Early And Talk Often Program" was referring to Granholm's preferred style of governing. I have to admit, she is great with a microphone.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Just in... DeVos has said once elected he will take control of DetroitYES and turn it into AmwayYES!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3096
Posted From: 68.73.199.215
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit, people, I'm out of state and away from this forum for a week, and I come back to find you all still pretty stupid.

I don't suppose anybody here recalls what Michigan.gov looked like before Granholm got elected?

Apparently not, because you all are acting like Jenny's broke some new ground.

Here's a news tip for you...before Jenny, Engler had his name and face plastered all over the site, too. To help you visualize it, everywhere you see "Granholm" substitute "Engler".

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej - read a little further down on that AmwayYES! press release. Lowell will be terminated and his position filled by Mr. Xiang Wu of Weiyang, China.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LoL,
Yeh, forgot to read the fine print Kilgore.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Holy shit, people, I'm out of state and away from this forum for a week, and I come back to find you all still pretty stupid.

I don't suppose anybody here recalls what Michigan.gov looked like before Granholm got elected?

Apparently not, because you all are acting like Jenny's broke some new ground.

Here's a news tip for you...before Jenny, Engler had his name and face plastered all over the site, too. To help you visualize it, everywhere you see "Granholm" substitute "Engler".

Using the Internet Archive site, you can view the Michigan.gov webpage as it appeared in late 2001, when Engler was governor. And no, he didn't plaster his name all over the webpage like Granholm did. See for yourself:

Oct 14, 2001
http://web.archive.org/web/200 11014212259/http://www.michiga n.gov/

November 12, 2001:
http://web.archive.org/web/200 11112015313/http://www.michiga n.gov/

Looking through several archived versions, I never found more than TWO references to the Governor at any time, far less than the SEVEN on the current michigan.gov webpage.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking at before and after, the only difference is the redesign put the press releases on the front page. Engler's press releases read the same way, with him and his administration taking the credit for good weather, plentiful harvests and the bull market. His weren't linked the same way Jenny's are.

Oh, and she has her picture in the corner.

So, if you consider that "hijacking", my claim of stupidity still stands.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that the current website was put-together under the Engler adminstration. The current Gov has not sunk a lot of money into re-developing the website as she has more important issues to deal with. If its a mess, then you know who to blame. All politicos like to mark their territory as much as possible. Engler was all over the website in his days.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Keep in mind that the current website was put-together under the Engler adminstration. The current Gov has not sunk a lot of money into re-developing the website as she has more important issues to deal with. If its a mess, then you know who to blame. All politicos like to mark their territory as much as possible. Engler was all over the website in his days.

Wow, you guys are really stretching it now. Even when I presented you with a link to the old michigan.gov website, your bias towards Granholm still won't allow you to see it. I tell you what, look at one of the archived pages from 2001 or 2002 and then look at today's michigan.gov webpage and tell me they "look the same." They aren't even close. To suggest that Engler designed the website and Granhom hasn't touched it in four years and that the "blame" should be placed on Engler is utterly insane.

And to claim that state govt hasn't touched the website because Granholm "has better things to do", care to explain your first-hand knowledge of the governor's operations and/or knowledge of the state's website development? You are talking out of your ass and you know it. Pucker up for Jenny some more, you guys are as bad as Karl with his love for Bush.

(Message edited by warriorfan on July 24, 2006)

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not puckering up to Jenny or anybody else, only to truth in advertising.

I also would appreciate if you clearly distinguish between my comments and those of other people, instead of lumping us all together.

You gave us two links from October and November, 2001, and you made mention of looking at "several" archived versions. From this, we are to conclude that you have exhaustively surveyed the state's website over the last ten-plus years?

I am giving you direct testimony that Engler's name played as prominent a role as you criticize Jenny for.

Her prominence is new, suggesting that it's a campaign ploy. Are you daft to think that Engler didn't do the same thing in reelection years?

In the last gubernatorial election year, Engler replaced his name in almost every press release with Dick Posthumous's name. It went from "Governor John Engler was pleased to announce..." to "Lieutenant Governor Dick Posthumous was pleased to announce..."

Besides, do you really need to stretch that far to find something to criticize Jenny about? I certainly hope not. She's not the best governor Michigan has had by a long shot, to put it extremely mildly.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeVos will also make it a requirement that all residents of the State of Michigan have to sell Amway or Quixtar.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please Warriorfan, do not put words in my mouth.

I am critical of the governor, and I was critial of the other one as well.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4028
Posted From: 71.197.28.123
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I heard he also plans to change the name of our great state from "State of Michigan" to "Alticor® Presents the State of Michigan." :-)

Ray

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the interesting comments to my post. It is nitpicking to blast Graholm for this one little thing, but it does fuel my sense of dread that she is more style than substance.

I suppose if you're a Democrat, you're likely to see the issue as trivial and if you're a Republican you're likely to latch onto it as ammunition.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1152
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not see if DeVos would be as conceited as Granholm on that website in a few months?

Make a screen capture for use later as part of a before & after show-and-tell.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, what if you are neither a Democrat nor Republican? What then should I make of the issue?

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 71.65.11.254
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the Michigan way.. Your name has to be in lights EVERYWHERE!! When I worked for the County, Robert Ficano's name was on EVERYTHING. You name it, stationary, internal websites, pens/pencils.. He also had his face plastered everywhere too, like he is some kind of king.

I hope that we can vote out the Executive and most of the Commission. What a joke!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 66.174.93.98
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Bob, he won't make everyone sell Amway, he'll just buy all state supplies from ScAmway. That way he'll sell his "250 points" of ScAmway products every month so he can get his kick-back from all of his "Independent Business Owners" selling underneath him.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4031
Posted From: 71.197.28.123
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hardly a "Michigan thing." Don't fool yourself. It's a political thing. Name recognition plays a huge part in politics, and politicians love to slap their name on anything and everything they can get their hands on (i.e. billboards, yard signs, websites, bumper stickers, banners...)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.188.189.29
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current website was not launched until granholms administration in approx november 2004
http://web.archive.org/web/200 41123083931/www.michigan.gov/

note that even in the old website, when granholm was in office, it usually contained two releases that mention her name.

http://web.archive.org/web/200 40718075920/www.michigan.gov/

not to say that it always did:

http://web.archive.org/web/200 40923193906/www.michigan.gov/

to be fair, the page did contain references to engler, but it wasn't nearly to the extent of granholms, it usually only mentioned him once. here's one of the worst, but most contained only one reference, if any at all.

http://web.archive.org/web/200 20524103847/www.michigan.gov/

don't believe me? just change the date. i found that when englers name is mentioned, it was usually something fairly important, or related to the site itself. granholm's comments seemed to be every press release they could think of to make her sound good.

i'm not too fond of either of them, and in fact i plan on voting for granholm, so it isn't that i am out to make one look bad. and i am sure devos, should he win, will have his name all over that page as well.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the other states mentioned have governors that are not up for election this year? If it isn't their election year, it would not be fair to compare them. Might not the other states shamelessly promote their governor for re-election during the election season?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never visited the site when Engler was governor? His ugly mug was all over it, too. I also remember them adding a special link about the Engler triplets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.