Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ambassador Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 69.242.214.135
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watcha think?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/O PINION03/607240373/1283

http://www.realdetroitweekly.c om/article_1602.shtml

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1723
Posted From: 69.209.137.27
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Rubin's piece hits it on the nail. The mag is nicely put together and the price is pretty cheap for such a highly stylized magazine.

Too much fluff and not enough substance, however. Like Rubin's pointed out, there are a lot of party pictures, but no names to go with the faces. Don't take so many pictures of so many people if you don't want to identify them. Also, do we really need another "Detroit Hour" magazine?

Rubin's is also right about who this magazine goes after, the six figure crowd. I was shocked at how much the items the featured model wore cost. I guess I won't be stepping into Neiman Marcus any time soon.

My wife bought the first issue, but I doubt we'll be getting the second. We'll need two more jobs if we are ever going to buy something advertised in the magazine. Well, at least if push comes to shove, we can afford to buy another issue and dream.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1727
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we all know that magazines like this don't REALLY cater only to the stated demographic - but it's nice to see a pretty magazine put out locally. Have to agree about the party pictures thing though!

Neal Rubin:

quote:

Packed between an encouraging number of other advertisements are several worthwhile articles, including a call for innovative architecture in Detroit and a look at a local organization whose members vociferously discuss race.

Both of these articles were written very intelligently and turned out great. I'm especially pleased about the architecture one because it was written by a good friend and former manager of my store when it was in A2, and also because it was nice to see a major piece just asking people to think about kicking it up a notch.

I don't think it's quite exactly a second Hour Detroit magazine, which is good about Detroit issues, focuses a LOT on metro Detroit, but not really on anything outside of it. Ultimately I think this is a magazine for people who are proud to be from Detroit, but realize they need to get out of here from time to time in order to keep themselves motivated/cosmopolitan/sane.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on July 25, 2006)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting...thanks for the link...

A magazine that gives the six-figure crowd new ideas on how to spend money can only be positive for the region's economy

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you attend a Tigers Game in the suite's they have a few copies of the magazine right next to the baseball program and scoresheet, assuming the demographic of people with money attend/have the suites.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for those who have purchased the magazine (or have seen it) where can you buy it? i would think this isn't something you can get at the grocery store checkout...

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 69.209.128.123
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Monthly Detroit? I wonder why it folded. I really like Hour. I'm surprized by the depth and sophistication of its articles. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but it seems like a pretty good regional magazine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.