Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Shed 2 at Eastern Market to loose murals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1742
Posted From: 68.248.0.137
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Model D, Shed 2 at Eastern Market is supposed to be restored. That's a very good thing considering the state that it's currently in.

However according to the renderings in the article, it's going to loose all the great murals.

What are they thinking!?

The murals on Shed 2 are to Eastern Market what the RenCen is to the Detroit skyline, what Detroit Industry is to the DIA, what Gramps was to the Belle Isle Aquarium, what the Scott Fountain is to Belle Isle, what the Dodge Fountain is to Hart Plaza, what Saganaki is to Greektown...

Renovate and restore all you want, but leave those murals alone!

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/emarket52.aspx

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.248.74.143
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you are kidding.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 69.215.242.17
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your mom is loose

(Message edited by blessyouboys on July 25, 2006)

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 69.215.242.17
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just kidding

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1171
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He obviously meant Toulouse_Lautrec, you, you dummy!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not all that worried, change can be a good thing. One of the main reason people paint murals like that is to bring interest to older underused buildings. This is arguably one of the busiest shopping places in the city these days. With the changes to shed 2 and 3, the place will be even busier.

Cities change over time. At the same time, purists love to see things restored. Why not make this change? Surely a change that restores a building is better than one that lets a property decay.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The murals look old, dated and not terribly attractive...they provide that certain '70s design look that makes you want to shop elsewhere.

blast away to plain brick and bring the old bird back to life.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 403
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bird creeps me out anyway.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That bird creeps me out anyway.

I think it looks scared of the customers coming to buy and eat chicken. Maybe the artist was a vegetarian? :-)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it looked like it was being mugged.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The murals need to stay. Some Detroiters are in this "beggars can't be choosers" attitude about change and end up accepting the status quo. Those murals are an institution and need to stay or be reused somewhere in the marker area. So much has already been lost and for what?? A new CVS downtown?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 576
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those murals are an institution"
______________________________ ___________________

So is the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice.

Ugly is ugly... get rid of them

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6178
Posted From: 67.96.230.157
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the murals and signage in Eastern Market, the one that most amuses me is that one on that business just east of Shed 2 (I think) that has a whole pig on a spit being cooked...

...with a grin on its face.

Same grin as the fellow cooking it.

It is either poetry or abuse, depending upon your viewpoint...but I noticed it when I was dating a vegan woman earlier in the year...and now I cannot walk to Vivio's without getting creeped out a wee bit at that silly grin.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that EM can maintain it's funkiness - the kitschy murals, hole in the wall shops, etc. - and still make the improvements they are proposing like winterizing the center shed, replacing the skylights and making it a 7 day market. I don't see how the murals interfere with attracting more patrons or making the market nicer for shoppers. If anything - even if they are dated - they add some spunk and flavor to shopping at the market. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of those nazi preservationists are involded and want to return the market to exactly how it was.

If people think the murals are ugly or dated then paint new ones that reflect the early 21st century! How about colorful abstractions of vitamins and nutrients? Or even better - a kitschy Diego Rivera mural knockoff but about food instead of industry - that would be fun! :-)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 64.7.170.83
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it appears none of the funding is from a historical grant, the murals could stay. Since in most cases, funding for a restoration would require their removal to the original brick. IMO, the murals are a bit tacky. The cartoonish drawings suggest to me that its saying "We are really trying our hardest to make it seem like a succesful and lively place." Which we know, Eastern Market already is. I completely agree with Detroitplanner.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that they are tacky. :-)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never liked the murals, but then I never got why nailing plastic dolls onto an abandoned house is art.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 141.210.38.116
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so I have been a pack rat from time to time. Looking back in my clothes closet I see these "vintage" things that were once considered stylish. But now I ask myself, "What WAS I thinking?"

And the same goes for the murals. It's like a kids room that eventually needs updating as the kid matures. They may have been fun for a while, but it's time to move on.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 70's are over, Disco is dead, all of those other Alex Pollack travesties are gradually going away. Change is the constant in life

Wash_man

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't the entrance to a building be something other than the nostril of a farm animal?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6442
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beats the mural they have at the exit...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2487
Posted From: 4.229.3.220
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When City Planner Alex Pollock designed them back in the late 70's or early 80's, they were whimsical and fun. They were the proverbial "perfume on a pig", because prior to that Eastern Market looked pretty grungy.

I am sorta on the fence on this one. It depends on what they want to change it to.....

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1241
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on the fence too, although really I wouldn't mind seeing the murals disappear. The whole arches-as-nostrils thing was pretty goofy.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Shed 2, located at the southern end of the market and now covered with a colorful, kitschy painted bull made of vegetables, will be restored to the structure’s original, late 19th century appearance.

The facade under the murals is over 100 years old. The murals are not the historic part of the shed.

Wash_man

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a restoration project, nothing beats returning the finishes to original condition. Get rid of the murals...fast! Would you restore an old house but leave the avacodo green kitchen?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 194.138.39.54
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but quite often, the Pepto-pink bathroom gets left....

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1197
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get em off there!

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad that stupid turkey will be gone!
It detracts from the architecture/brickwork of the shed ...good riddance!

Erikd is right - restore the structure - not the murals. Is late 70's / early 80's detroit really worth preserving? I think that protesting the removal of these murals would be like being angry about the removal of the 1970's facades on merchants row.

restore that schitt!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 997
Posted From: 146.9.52.32
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose if you really wanted to restore Eastern Market to the way it was in 1701, you would replace the whole thing with a pine and birch tree forest.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one crew. :-)

Personally, I don't mind removing the chicken mural on shed two and being able to read 'Eastern Market' - it will look really nice in the end - but huge blank walls are just canvases asking for colorful festive murals. What's with all the hatred of wall art? It's seems to me that walls have one positive effect of deterring graffiti on a large blank wall. The one that I can think of graffiti appearing on is the one that faces the service drive that says 'Eastern Market.'

(Message edited by eastsidedog on July 27, 2006)

(Message edited by eastsidedog on July 27, 2006)

Wash_man

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one said the market is being restored back to its original condition. The shed is what is being restored, which we can safely assume wasn't there in 1701. Nice try.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why stop there? Lets restore it to the graveyard that it was before it became Eastern Market...
That was toungue in cheek BTW.

Designut

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog- I have no problem with wall art or public art in general. (I am a CCS student) But when "wall art" compromises the integrity of an architect's original design/vision it is, in that respect, not much different from graffiti. So, the justification that it deterrs graffiti is, IMO, not a valid reason to keep the murals. They were good for a time - and I'm sure were an improvement at the time. (when a proper restoration/cleaning was not a viable option?)
Now it's time to move on....

That, and I think that they are the public-art equivelant of installing shag carpet and a drop ceiling in an Albert Kahn buillding....or covering Washington Blvd. with a red erector-set inspired installation. (thank god that shit's gone!)

just my two cents

Gistok

Post Number: 2500
Posted From: 4.229.81.81
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't exactly call Alex Pollock's artistic flair a "travesty". He added some kitschy excitement to a dying city back in the 70's and 80's. And he got a lot of national attention for it.

And after all, "paint" is one of the least damaging ways to change historic structures, and can be easily erased. Who knows if these stalls would still be around if it weren't for Alex Pollack.

Still wondering what the city is gonna do with his other idea.... the historic trolleys?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Designut, drop-ceilings and the Washington Blvd. Pedestrian mall definietely suck - we're in agreement on that. Regarding that proper resoration was probably not a viable option at the time is also a very good point and the murals spruced things up and filled a gap. But I must say that I really enjoy large colorful wall murals. Windows are always better but when you're stuck with a massive blank wall murals are quite nice. It could be worse. They could hang giant billboards on the sides of the buildings... how about a giant Kroger ad in EM? Not that would really SUCK. I'd rather see kitschy vegetable murals anyday.

Designut

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog-
We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree (in terms of the murals themselves). I will say that I should probably give Pollack more credit than I did previously in this thread. I don't particularly dislike his work, I just prefer to see buildings of this era kept as original as possible.

Now, in terms of ads vs. murals, I definately agree with you - I'll take a mural any day! BTW, how do you feel about the recent addition to the Broderick Tower?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not surprised by its addition. Let me put it this way. I'd rather sit in Grand Circus Park and look at a whale mural than a Jeep ad.

If Detroit really wants to be a big city what it needs is a big dancing silhouette iPod ad. ;)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sticking with "travesty". all of those elevated bus stop bubble-roof sidewalk covers that obscured existing signs on (IMHO) beautiful pre-war commercial store facades, the diagonally striped concrete sidewalks that could not be plowed with the existing machinery and had to be shoveled by hand at extra cost, all of the little sickly trees added to sidewalks that either died or finished obscuring the signs that the disco-smoked glass bubbles didn't cover, the communist-decorating influenced concrete serpentine benches (which no one sat on), the concrete kiosks (that no one posted anything on) and the concrete wastepaper baskets (which a certain city gob-ment could not bother to empty), and the smoked glass Disco light fixtures--well, they speak for themselves.
I think all of that shit was a colossal waste of money, funds that could have been put to better use paying for more police protection for those businesses and neighborhoods. All of the A.P. projects were taking place while the most European and beautiful Washington Blvd. was being torn up to put up fire engine red simian exercise equipment--an experiment that killed the business of damn near every retailer along that street (Rossetti, not Pollack on that one). Take that silly shit off of eastern market and let's see what it looked like the first time.
I'm tired of looking at all of that "Christo with a federal allowance" shit.

Designut

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that would be your position (mine too) - just being facetious:-)

Also-
Yeah - where's our giant i-pod ad?

Designut

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that was for eastsidedog

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Designut, We won't really be cool until we have a giant dancing silhouette enjoying complete audio and social isolation. My vote is for electric blue, where the Ikea ad currently is. It could become the official monstrous hip ad wall. ;)

Designut

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell, why don't we change comerica park to i-pod park and paint the whole thing neon pink - with giant silhouetted tigers rockin out to the white stripes? Only then could we really be "cool" ;)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 694
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmao!

That would be so damn cool that all the really cool kids in Phoenix and Chicago would burn their hip neighborhoods to the ground and move to Detroit. :-)

Designut

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too cool even for the cool kids:-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 695
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn straight. so fucking cool. :-)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post, 56packman.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 68.79.103.24
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, what the hell. Agreed 56Packman. What a good post. But I still have a soft spot for funky murals...

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.210.30.48
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news on when the restoration begins?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this week in the paper that the murals were not going to be removed. Can't remember if it was in the FP or the News.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2390
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The buyers are the experts let them do what they want to make it better.

Gistok

Post Number: 2562
Posted From: 4.229.105.100
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercifully the city never put up that geometric smoked glass canopy over lower Woodward to protect shoppers from the elements.

And what about Hart Plaza? How much of that fits into this criteria of 70's failed rehab? Those underground "bunkers"?

And you can add that Millenium "cow bell" to the list.....

Detroitej72

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Hart Plaza gets tons of usage in the warm months with all their festavals.

Have to agree with the Millenium Bell however, walked past it the weekend and commented how silly it looks. At least the statue of Mayor Hazen Pingree looks classy!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 69.218.157.247
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One cannot discuss modern monstrosities in Detroit without mentioning the anti-pedestrian wasteland that is Cobo/Joe Louis/The Lodge and all those curvy streets and parking structures galore. Talk about dystopia. What a disaster. The sooner that whole mess gets torn down the better. Imagine a seamless Jefferson Avenue. Now that would be a sight to behold...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this from a guy who thought that painting tires white and planting flowers in them would be a good thing for the front lawn.

God bless Mrs. Eastsidegog's wonderful heart. :-)

Eric_c

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this from a guy who wanted to use painted tires for flower boxes.

God bless Mrs. Eastsidedog's wonderful heart. :-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c! You bastard! lol!

Yeah I admit I thought of tire planters for a second after reading the frugal gardening section of about.com, but I never said I'd paint them white! If I were to stoop as low as tire planters they would definitely be painted nice colors... but you can rest assured I've been weaned from my tire planter aspirations... now I've been thinking about what to do with this old bathtub...

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you had to double post too you bastard!

Eric_c

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You already know my suggestion for the bathtub:

Bury it upright and halfway in the ground with the inside of the tub facing the street. Then, get yourself a statue of the Blessed Virgin (FYI, you can save someone else time if you paint her face and hands brown in advance), stand her up inside the tub and spread silk flowers all around the base.

You'll have a beautiful piece of lawn art AND the pleasure in knowing that Islandview will be watched over by the Holy Mother!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about some pink flamingos on the front lawn as well? I could paint the trunk of my tree white as well...

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 705
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah what the hell is with all the white painted tree trunks? My guess is that it's to prevent cars from hitting them at night, but I'm probably wrong.. any insight?

BTW, Gtatiot True Value sells pink flamingos and I spotted one in my neighbors yard the other day.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3160
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The white paint is thought to protect the tree from insects and damage from excessive temperature variations.

The practice probably moved from orchards into the general public. Fruit trees would sometimes split from the heating of direct sun, and the white paint helped reflect some of the sun's rays.

You'll also sometimes see various wraps around trees, especially younger ones.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I was wrong. Thanks Hamtramck Steve. :-)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh isn't that the theory behind painting curbs white too, to reflect sunlight of it so car tires don't melt?

Just kidding.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.