Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gay Games in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Gay Games -- nothing to do with SportsDabirch07-28-06  9:34 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 68.253.253.46
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With tong and cheek talk about Detroit making a bid for the Olympics popping up every so often, why not look at similar events that would utilize our already built sports venues, such as the Gay Games. This was recently in Chicago and was met with large amounts of success for the economy and culture of the city. This is also a good way to showcase Detroit to a largely underrepresented demographic in the area. Not to stereotype, but the LGBT population in Chicago has created a rather affluent and thriving district that Detroit could use with the influx of a community……..Boystown Detroit? Despite the fact that Michigan/Detroit is a state and city riddled with bigotry and hypocrisy, I would hope to think that we could look past this hate and see the benefits for Detroit and the states economy.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's see---gay games----san francisco, amsterdam,new york, sydney, montreal, chicago----oh yep---they are ready in detroit for that---hehehe

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6440
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have the athletic facilities, but not the hotel rooms that would be needed.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this on that other forum about a week ago but it seems to fit in here. It's not gonna make many people happy, but ...

-------------------

I'm not Chicago's biggest fan. It's fun, but it's a little too, I dunno, corporate, for my personal tastes. Give me San Francisco with their love of the independent any day. However I went to the Opening Ceremonies of the Gay Games this past weekend (you somehow thought Supergay wouldn't be there?), and aside from the INSANE number of gay people there (40,000 +) and a feeling of solidarity I have felt, oh, NEVER, Mayor Daley of Chicago got up to give one of the most surprising and amazing speeches I've ever heard.

Now what did he say, you might ask yourself. Did he hedge and skirt the issues of gay acceptance and instead talk about how happy he was that the games chose Chicago and don't forget to have a pizza or shop at Marshall Field's? Did he make a joke and put on a wig? Did he say "stay away from my kids" like our Kwame? No.

He got up there, and in no uncertain terms said that the GLBT community is completely welcome in Chicago, that they have been in the lead of every quality of life issue in the city, that the city of Chicago supports marriage equality and that Chicago is lucky to have the gay community it has.

In the media ahead of time he unashamedly spoke of the Gay Games as a great practice run in the Chicago bid for the Olympics in 2016. And every year over gay pride (they actually have a parade instead of a renaissance faire), the mayor has a big reception for his supporters in the gay community.

As I sat there with tears literally streaming down my face (ruining a flawless application of $40 foundation), I realized that Detroit is a shithole for gay people, and they need to get the hell out of here. Detroit does not want gay people, and the majority of straight people in SE Michigan don't even know more than a few gay or lesbian people who aren't their hairdresser.

Gay is not a novelty in Chicago, it's not a blight or an embarrassment. It's just a fact of life, and the quality of life for gays and lesbians is outstanding. And Chicago has certainly reaped the benefits, in redevelopment, creativity, excellent (and huge) non-profit health organizations that benefit the entire community, and in this case, $50 million dollars of economic benefit over the course of a week.

In Detroit Kwame has to say shit like "I would not be comfortable with gay people around my children." Police precincts heads, when told by gay activists that gay and lesbian people need to be treated with the same rights as others, reply, "Now you're getting into theological issues." And of course, our gay bars are a beauty to behold, and reflect beautifully gay quality of life in general.

Take the SuperBowl and its pop-up bars, sidewalk shootings, and temporary everything and shove it up your ass, Detroit. Chicago just secured its place as one of the top places for GLBT people in the country - benefitting people who will actually stay there and grow the city - and it got a shitload of cash in the process.

Any gay person (who is not making major cash or has some other REALLY compelling reason) who stays here instead of driving four hours west is an idiot.

Supergay's advice to Detroit gays? Get out now, go and be loved.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1745
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think once the fundie pastors hear any rumor of a possible gay games the idea will be nixed very quickly. It would be a very nice event to have and could change the image of Detroit if it happened, but I think it would be a very big stretch to see it happen. The Michigan Central has a better chance of being renovated before a gay games happens.

Jjw

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think utah has a better chance for those games

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, the bigoted attitude that is killing Detroit. Kwame and his cronies should be ashamed; if there is no conceivable thought that Detroit could handle this event, this city is in deeper than we think. This is embarrassing and discredits Detroit from ever being a world class city. The fundamentalist pastors do not give a sh*t about the city; all they care about is themselves. The vast majority are corrupt as hell. When you see one of these A$$ holes driving a brand new Cadillac when the majority of their congregation is living in severe poverty, that is disgusting………but this is off topic now: my point is that Detroit and its residents should be embarrassed that the powers that be have this perception of the gay community and uphold bigotry.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1082
Posted From: 208.49.95.12
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay, go back to HFD where you belong, you faggot. Oh, and before you get all queeny and "how dare you" on me, I'm "allowed" to call you that since I'm a fellow homo.

I'd like to flame you a little more, but I actually have a job I need to get back to.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1704
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing SG.

The funny thing is that I think I would feel the same way if somebody tried to nominate Detroit for the "straight, white, married with children olympics".

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, the bigoted attitude that is killing Detroit.

Hang on, Hoss. This is merely an academic exercise. Detroit can't bid on the Games simply because it doesn't have the hotel rooms. You have the black clergy marching down Woodward in protest already...

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 148.61.84.11
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All y'all are welcome over here in Saugatuck! If only we had the facilities....

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Take the SuperBowl and its pop-up bars, sidewalk shootings, and temporary everything and shove it up your ass, Detroit.

Nice use of an idiom...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the games were a combined Detroit-Windsor Games (with the Metro Detroit suburbs supplying additional hotel space) it could work. Windsor's mayor could give the opening address and welcome without having to tone down his words to avoid political implications.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2489
Posted From: 4.229.3.220
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelley.... the correct term is "tongue in cheek", but perhaps that would be too ironic on this thread! :-)

Actually the Saugatuck idea is a great idea.... all the gays could stay in Holland and Grand Rapids... just think of all the conservative locals it would piss off in Michigans "Bible belt"!!

Supergay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice use of an idiom...

Thanks Mikeg. I thought that was pretty classy myself.

Oh Matty, play nice! Flaming is SO 1997.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The funny thing is that I think I would feel the same way if somebody tried to nominate Detroit for the "straight, white, married with children Olympics".

Dabirch

What are you talking about, that Detroit is not welcoming to the status quo? People do nominated Detroit for those types of games, they are called the “Olympics”. If you for a second compare yourself to the plight of the LGBT community; you have to be joking. The vast majority of events are made for you; God forbid Detroit gets some culture and your Children do not grow up to be ignorant homophobes.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6444
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly, I think Dabirch was saying that being "straight, white, married with children" is as unusual to Detroit as being gay. Cuz there's so few of us in the City.

Also, I don't believe Detroit has bid on an Olympics since 1968.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they have not bid since 1968, but there is plenty of hypothetical bidding on this forum…………and, I see where you are coming from with the straight, white, married with children" thing……..although, I would welcome something as such to show Detroit’s diversity………or going back to one of the past threads, is that not the type of people Detroit wants to move in?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy, easy, there Tkelly.

All I was trying to say was that in Detroit, the actions of the powers that be often make me and my family feel as if we are unwanted in this city as well.

As for my children and their culture -- what the fuck are you talking about?

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I read your post incorrectly……..I thought it was a shot at the LGBT community and saying that the single family men are getting a raw deal in society. My comment about the children was a general one, as someone who crew up in Michigan, many of my friends are homophobic and ignorant due to a lack of exposure; once again, I read your post wrong and would assume that you are exposing your children to alternative lifestyles…………dealing with the evangelical right protesting all week in Chicago has made me jaded and edgy.........sorry

Dabirch

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, apology accepted.

And beware of those fundies - they just might win you over to their just god with all the love and kindness that they display.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Christian, I am familiar with the love that my God has for all of his children; these people do not exude love, they are full of hate and discrimination. They are ignoring one of the main tenets of Jesus’ teaching, to love they neighbor and leave judgment up to God, let alone the idea to avoid casting as stone unless they are perfect. They spend all their energy telling people that they are going to burn in hell, pushing more people away from Christianity than helping their cause; they are missing the point of evangelizing, which is intended to bring people into the flock. This fire and brimstone talk may have worked for Jonathan Edwards during the great awakening some two hundred years ago, but we need to progress and focus on LOVE, not hate……..these people are hypocrites,

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, due to my belief that homosexuality is not an option it is from birth…….I can not see why my savoir would create people only to condemn them from the get go. This boarders on the asinine idea of predestination, a puritan theory that did not even survive in their own religion, where gay people are predestined to burn in hell. God is benevolent, not vengeful and does not HATE FAGS, like these clowns see to want us to think.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6446
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And beware of those fundies - they just might win you over to their just god with all the love and kindness that they display.

Daburch, I swear, it ain't the city fathers who make you feel unwelcome in your neighborhood.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(that's why I used a small "g" -- because their god ain't the one that created me).

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch: agreed

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 71.144.93.118
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say this, but Detroit would be the last place I would think of as a "gay friendly" place.

Quite a few gays I know who lived and loved the city have split town over the past few years as the "climate has gotten much less welcoming." Completely unscientific, but, experience.

Quite frankly, from everything I've ever been told by gays and black gays, homosexuality and the african-american culture does not really go together. The mayors' comments were nothing I haven't heard a hundred times before, and probably popularized him with the majority - and I can't imagine that makes for a good atmosphere.

If I had known as much as I do now, I don't know if I would of made the move to the city; a culture of intolerance is not what I want to be around, and probably would of opted for Ann Arbor since I have to stay in the region (not to say there aren't wonderful people here, and that I wouldn't find intolerant people there).

If I am at another event and someone comes to me and assumes because I'm straight they can gay-bash, I might just introduce his behind to my size 10 shoe.

And Dabirch, I hear ya. Blood, sweat, and dollars mean nothing around here. It's a "got to get mine" culture of our public "servants," unfortunately.

The key to working down here is to realize that it is opposite world - whatever is logical somewhere else doesn't compute here. As soon as I figured that out, that's when I started doing well - and I am being completely serious.

But I'm still here, and there have been lots of positives. It's part of the reason I feel I can complain; after all, if you don't vote, you can't b$&%$, right? :-)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 84.156.7.72
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay.... I LOVE you!

Actually, all those reasons are why I do not want to come home....

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8665
Posted From: 70.54.70.86
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding? Shit, the city can't even have a gay pride parade. No! They have to have one for gay black people and one for gay white people.
This is about as good of an idea as turning cement silos into condos.

Cripes, think about picking up the garbage before thinking of schitt like Detroit hosting the gay games.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6448
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lack of a strong, gay community can't be laid entirely at Kwame Kilpatrick's feet.

Dennis Archer campaigned in gay bars, attended HRC functions and made himself available to the gay media. Had a function like the Gay Games been in Detroit during his tenure, I'm sure that he would have made a welcoming speech akin to Mayor Daley's. Gays responded by continuing to move to Ferndale.

Much was made of Kilpatrick's homophobic remarks, but no one mentions that he apologized for them at an HRC fundraiser. He'll never be mistaken for Gavin Newsom, but at least he's learned to STFU.

This past mayoral election offered two "pro-gay" candidates, Freman and Sharon. In fact, Sharon's campaign staff was rife with a "gay mafia" and campaigned at Pride in 2005. She said that she longed for the day that Pride would be held at Campus Martius. This was pretty extraordinary when you consider that she was closely aligned with the "black activist" voters, like the Call 'em Out Coalition.

That was pretty risky on her part, and it got her nothing. Third in the primary.

If we hope to see a cohesive gay community in the city, it doesn't seem to matter who the mayor is. We had a shot under Archer and we took a pass. To my knowledge, there was no unified campaign for gays to unite behind a candidate in the most recent election. As a community, we sat this one out, too.

The funny thing is that there really are lots of gays in Detroit. Downtown, Corktown, Indian Village, West Village and Palmer Woods have noticable numbers. Yet we've never been spurred to unite.

That there is no unified, cohesive gay community in Detroit is, I think, a situation of our own making.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6449
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, the gay pride events in Detroit aren't segregated. There's the big Pride event, open to everyone. Detroit's black gay community also has a party, not because they can't attend Pride, but simply to get together themselves. If I were young, black and gay, I'd find it a great resource to meet other people like me.

Supergay

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, I guess you and I have different ideas about what constitutes "lots of gays," but you make some excellent points. And Sharon was great about that too, I agree wholeheartedly.

I think that part of the problem is that there were a not really a lot of gay people (who care about a gay community, anyway) left in the city to vote for her. It's a situation where the attitude will lead to the support and possibly the influx of more gay people, but not the other way around. Not anymore.

Once upon a time, when I began my search for intelligent gay life in Detroit, I asked a relatively prominent gay businessperson in the community where he went for fun and to meet other gay people. His answer? "My condo in Chicago."

--------------------

Also, Moderator, can you please move this thread out of the SPORTS section? It's not really about sports, and moving it here is a very effective way to insure that no gay people will ever see it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4678
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GAY OLYMPICS YUK!!!

Danny

Post Number: 4679
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put the Gay Olympics to Royal Oak or Ferndale.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mr. Moderator for moving the post.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2810
Posted From: 69.3.252.26
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point made about this thread. This doesn't belong in the Sports forum, so it is move back here.

Danny, grow up, we know your position and it is getting tiresome.

Anti-gay attitudes are unavoidable, maybe even understandable given the legacy of hate and ignorance that drives them. But, like attitudes about race, openly perpetuating that ignorance and exploiting it for political gain, as we see in Michigan and with Kwame, is downright despicable. Shame on them all.

When these attitudes are uttered from those who have suffered from discriminations themselves, it is simply pathetic.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit may not be a gay mecca, however I have lived here for years, and I have never experienced any homophobia in Detroit itself.

I live in the city proper and there are probably 7 gay people on my block.

For lack of a better way of putting it: Supergay sounds like a moron. To say, "As I sat there with tears literally streaming down my face (ruining a flawless application of $40 foundation), I realized that Detroit is a shithole for gay people, and they need to get the hell out of here," just proves that.

That said, Detroit is definately not ready for the Gay Games. Most gay bars in the metro area are nestled in the neighborhoods on 6 and 7 mile. They're uninviting compounds, spaced out, and not in a small walkable area. Ferndale and Royal Oak barely have anything that is truly queer. Also, Detroit does have "two prides," one of which is in the suburbs [Not that there shouldn't be black gay pride events... I'm sure there is a way to consolodate the two prides, and put them in the city.]

Don't come to Detroit if you are looking for a Boystown, that is, unless you'd like to help invent it yourself.

Danny

Post Number: 4684
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spaceboykelly

You absolutely right with the post and I agree. A lack of a HOMOSEXUAL community in Detroit means NO GAY GAMES PERIOD! However Ferndale and Royal Oak would be a good spot to host the GAY GAMES. Let them run the race and get the medal.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?

Please Danny, never agree with me. Even if it's because you didn't understand my post.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1229
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If I am at another event and someone comes to me and assumes because I'm straight they can gay-bash, I might just introduce his behind to my size 10 shoe."

speaking up is what's needed around here - people need to be told that such comments are unacceptable and that people of all colors, ethnicities, genders, and orientations are worthy of mutual respect

I wish there was someone out there with a big enough bankroll to seriously back a qualified gay candidate for mayor

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1202
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm somewhat confused on the whole concept of "The Gay Games". Why is it that gays feel the need to separate themselves from heterosexuals when dealing with athletic performance ? Does their sexual orientation mean their athletic ability is different than that of a heterosexual ? Is it more fun to cheer someone on if they are gay ? Sorry...I just don't get it. It would seem to help the cause more if you were proudly gay, and won a real gold medal....or is it just about the parties ?

Bong-Man's slightly homophobic...but if you let me smoke my pipe, you can smoke yours/his/hers.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've exhausted my ability to continue discussing this subject. Everyone in the Detroit area complains there is no "gayborhood", but noone wants to do anything to create one, so we get Ferndale. No thanks. Ferndale as a "gay mecca" is like Cherry Hill Village is an urban experience!

Fact is, until someone or a small group of people come together and decide that something should happen and motivate the gays of Metro Detroit, nothing will happen. They'll just keep bitching and complaining and moving to Atlanta or Chicago or NYC.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it that gays feel the need to separate themselves from heterosexuals when dealing with athletic performance ?

I am guessing they feel they would not be accepted being out in most sports.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 712
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman, fact is, many gays don't make it into the "Real" games (Olympics, etc...) simply because they are "out". Only acceptable sports like, figure skating or softball, is it not a problem. But heaven forbid a gay man were in Wrestling! One has to stay in the closet to be taken seriously and then after winning the gold medal, when you come "out", every one is like, "GASP! You're GAY? Oh my goodness! Who knew a gay person could be... Athletic!??" Utter bullshit.

The original reason for the games was to give those people the opportunity to compete, openly. It has grown and changed with the times, but I think it is still the main purpose. Ofcourse there are parties... We love a good party... But the real reason is to be out and proud and compete without fear. When the world can accept an openly gay wrestler.... maybe then the Gay Games will not be needed anymore....

Jjw

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are gay Olympic winners and the web site below explains the predictament:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/57 24361

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6468
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that gays feel the need to separate themselves from heterosexuals when dealing with athletic performance ?

Are you suggesting that instead of the Gay Games, more gays should just enter the world Olympics?

Supergay

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spaceboykelly:

quote:

For lack of a better way of putting it: Supergay sounds like a moron. To say, "As I sat there with tears literally streaming down my face (ruining a flawless application of $40 foundation), I realized that Detroit is a shithole for gay people, and they need to get the hell out of here," just proves that.

Supergay just likes to intersperse a little parody in his diatribes, that's all. For gay people who don't take themselves too seriously and have eschewed the internalized homophobia so present in our community, this is generally not a problem, and sometimes even considered funny!

But you are young, and I understand your point. You will see that as you reach the twilight of your clubbing years other things start to matter more.

Bongman:

quote:

I'm somewhat confused on the whole concept of "The Gay Games". Why is it that gays feel the need to separate themselves from heterosexuals when dealing with athletic performance ? Does their sexual orientation mean their athletic ability is different than that of a heterosexual ? Is it more fun to cheer someone on if they are gay ? Sorry...I just don't get it. It would seem to help the cause more if you were proudly gay, and won a real gold medal....or is it just about the parties ?

In addition to what has been stated above about homophobia in sports, and the origin of the games, the Gay Games are actually open to gay AND straight athletes. And it actually IS really fun to cheer with a bunch of gay people for a bunch of gay people - it's hard to describe the feeling of community if you've never really felt marginalized.

In addition, the Gay Games feature some other really fun events like Drum Corps and Cheerleading, which was apparently off the hook. And the Beach Volleyball is basically a drinking spectator sport where you watch hot guys and gals all day. So there is certainly a gay "twist" to the whole thing.

Bongman

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yeah Jeff...kind of. I mean, just because you're gay doesn't mean you can't beat me in a race, have better aim, or kick my ass. Seems kind of unrelated to sexual preference...at least on the surface. I guess I don't comprehend the degree of cruelty by some people. Like the steeple guy..if the horse doesn't mind, why should I ? I guess women are better able to handle this issue. I've never noticed many issues in softball or golf related to sexuality, but maybe discrimination amongst females is on a more subtle level.

Interesting info Supergay....So there is a communal/social aspect to the activities.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6469
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ll yeah Jeff...kind of. I mean, just because you're gay doesn't mean you can't beat me in a race, have better aim, or kick my ass.

The Olympics are a bit tough to get into, Bongman. That's why the seniors came up with the Senior Olympics, the mentally handicapped do the Special Olympics, the Jews have the Maccabi Games, etc. When like-minded people want to complete in athletics but can't get into the Olympics, they create their own venues. I think it's cool.

(Message edited by itsjeff on July 28, 2006)

Dabirch

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well yeah Jeff...kind of. I mean, just because you're gay doesn't mean you can't beat me in a race, have better aim, or kick my ass

Being gay has nothing to do with why he can't do any of those things...age, weight, coordination -- those are the culprits.

But sexual orientation? Nah.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6470
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, I'll take my chances against "Bongman."

Bongman

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand your point...to a degree. But in some ways it would seem to complicate a gay person's ability to compete on an equal plane with their athletic peers...if they choose to do so. Special Olympics shouldn't be compared to sexual preference or religion, but I understand that part of your point too. Carry on...

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6471
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think including Special Olympics on the list is appropriate. They are like-minded people who wish to compete against each other, just like the other organizations that I listed.

Regardless, there are lots of benefits for a gay person to compete in the Gay Games. Either because the Games offers international competition in events not found in other venues, like bowling, or because because the Games allows competition at all age levels, or because you just want to compete with a bunch of gay people.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.14.17.198
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA ! The Gay Games in Detroit ??? Hardly. I've been to the Gay Games, several, most recently last week in Chicago and every game I've been to has been a fantastic experience, largely due to what all great cities have to offer, LIFE. We need more than arenas to host the Gay Games...we need what every other host city has had: large walkable areas that flow from district to district with the genuine sights, sounds and stops of a real first class city. Amsterdam was the finest for Gay Games, the entire city participated and the city mayor, at the closing ceremonies said how proud he was to have his city chosen to host the games. LOL !!! I can just see the tens of thousands of Gay Games goers standing on line waiting for the bus to take them to.....gee, where would a bus take them.....? Let's be real, once you've been to Greektown, the museum and....it ain't gonna happen here. Come on, Mayor Kwame suddenly becoming Gay friendly...I better take a Valium.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago also had a lot of sponsors by the looks of this site.
http://www.chicago2006.org/

Do all the athletes have to find their own way to get to the Gay Games? Are there any big international corporate sponsors of gay athletes?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6474
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Ha_asfan explains better than I ever could why we'll never have a unified, cohesive gay community in Detroit.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Gay friendly public bus system but will the Gays have the courage to vote NO next August 8, 2006 to protest the exact same discrimination that crippled the city Livonia from keeping SMART that also cripples them?

Any tax that discriminates is not Gay friendly and any tax that is not Gay friendly is bad for all all of us.

God loves Gay people.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1017
Posted From: 70.236.163.239
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's the best "reach" you've made so far Trainman. Mad props.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.