Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The effect on Detroit of the Sainthood of Fr. Solanus Casey? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2491
Posted From: 4.229.81.34
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not a Catholic, but while flipping thru my cable channels, I stopped at the Catholic EWTN Network. They had a 1 hour show tonight on Father Solanus Casey, the former Capuchin Monk turned priest who resided at Detroit's St. Bonaventure Monastery, which we know of as the Capuchin Kitchen on Mt. Elliott.

It seems that Father Casey died 49 years ago next week at St. John Hospital on July 31, 1957. And the show was devoted to all the supposed miracle cures that people received because of his intervention. I was surprised by the volume of witnesses and their stories.

Anyway, Fr. Casey was venerated in 1995 (I assume "beatification" would be the next step). And I remember reading about 15 million dollars being spent in the monastery in building upgrades (expansions?) for possible future sainthood.

Since I'm not Catholic, I don't know how many American saints there are, but I know it is very very few. Wouldn't his sainthood cause major pilgramages to Detroit by the Catholic (and other) faithful? Especially in lieu of his many "miracles", even after his death, at his tomb.

When I was touring France in the 1980's I came across the small town of Lisieux, and I was absolutely blown away by the Basilica of St. Therese of Liseux (a late 19th/early 20th century saint). They built an enormous church and separate bell tower on a hill overlooking Lisieux that just blew my socks off.

I know that we won't be getting any "Vatican City" built in Detroit if Fr. Solanus becomes a saint, but it certainly could have a major impact on the lower east side if he were sainted.

Comments?

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fr. Solanus Casey can and will do more for the city of Detroit dead than anyone alive can even imagine doing. This is a big deal, certainly for the Catholic Community, but in general for the whole city of Detroit. Fr. Casey has already been beatified and he is well on his way to sainthood.

If you haven’t been over to the Fr. Solanus Casey Center, yet, you need to go there even if you are a Zulu Hindu. It is very impressive and you can already see the steady flow of pilgrims to the St. Bonaventure Monastery requesting intercession by the spirit of Fr. Casey for their petitions.

I think it’s just a matter of time until he is elevated to sainthood and then the flow will turn into an avalanche of people coming for a pilgrimage. This will put Detroit on the map in a way that I don’t think anyone can even imagine. I hope the notoriety and infamy will be handled respectfully instead of turning it into some kind of slick Disneyland kind of destination.

I had a personal miraculous experience with the monastery 35 years ago that has changed the whole course of my life and I do believe in miracles!

Fr. Solanus Casey's Funeral
fr. casey

Livedog2

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a very good friend of my mother's is part of the fr. solanus casey group dedicated to helping him become a saint (the name of the group escapes me right now). my mom also beleives very strongly that fr. solanus has performed miracles, based on the stories of others, and for many MANY years has carried an artifact of his in her wallet, and even gave me one when i was about 13 (and is also in my wallet).

just last year i visited the center and was amazed to see how it looked compared to the last time i was there, 15 years ago when i was in the 8th grade and helped at the soup kitchen as part of our confirmation requirements. 15 years ago, there wasn't much there. the neighborhood was a mess. it was a depressing sight for a 13 year old. but now there are all sorts of additions, an informational museum on fr. solanus, and they even moved his coffin to a hall of sorts, so that people can surround it. on top of the coffin there are dozens and dozens of papers with people's prayers written on them. it is most definitely an amazing thing to see, especially knowing what the facilities looked like before, and already having the knowledge from my mother of fr. solanus.

so yes, when he becomes a saint, i think it will have a HUGE effect on the city. i've never really thought about it until you brought it up...but, being a catholic and knowing about such pilgrimages, it makes total sense.

Livedog2

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish you hadn't mentioned his coffin because Kwame may try to figure out how to sell it or the scrapers may try to scrap it. Holy cows what a frightening thought! Oh, that's just a figure of speech G-d.

Livedog2

Gistok

Post Number: 2494
Posted From: 4.229.81.34
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks folks, I didn't realize that Fr. Solanus had already been beatified. But then again, I remembered that the TV show was filmed in the 1990's after he was raised to "venerated".

They did say that when they reburied him from outside to the new inside chapel, that his body had not been corrupted by decay, another requisite for sainthood.

Wow, elevation to sainthood would also make a good reason for a visit to Detroit by Pope Benedict XVI!

(Message edited by Gistok on July 27, 2006)

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3109
Posted From: 68.252.4.96
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incorruptibility isn't a requirement for sainthood, but it's a pretty good indication of some pretty powerful intervention going on.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3173
Posted From: 129.137.188.225
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sainthood comes cheap these days. I believe Pope John Paul II ratified more saints than the Catholic Church had done in the previous 500 years combined.

It reminds me of that old Father Guido Sarducci routine.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1459
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For more information on the Solanus Casey Guild and Father Solanus Casey: http://www.solanuscasey.org/

For information on the Solanus Casey Center at St. Bonaventure Monastery: http://www.solanuscenter.org/

It is definitely worth a visit to see!

Also....http://www.wau.org/current/art icle.asp?id=1985

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1460
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And an auto industry tie-in....

"...
The long list of favors granted included one to the Chevrolet motor company. In 1925 the firm was near bankruptcy when an auto worker, John McKenna, who feared losing his job, enrolled Chevrolet into the Seraphic Mass Association for 50 cents. Two nights later the company got an order for 45,000 machines. ..."

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=195&categ ory=people

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8667
Posted From: 70.54.70.86
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Czar. I keep petitioning the Catholic Church to stop with all the ratifications as it has cheapened what Sainthood should be about.

Fr. Solanus is one that definitely should be while there are many others that a person has to shake their head at.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They did say that when they reburied him from outside to the new inside chapel, that his body had not been corrupted by decay"

i distinctly remember learning when i was there in the 8th grade, that fr. solanus had skin cancer, and when they re-burried him, not only had his body not decayed but there was also no visible sign of him having skin cancer.

Czar

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Hmmm, I wonder if a coroner verified that, probably not.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 151.202.107.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband was blessed by Fr. Solanus and he's still here.

Livedog2

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a complaint or a compliment?

Livedog2

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3113
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hmmm, I wonder if a coroner verified that, probably not."

If that is used as part of the cause for sainthood, you can rest assured that more than one medical doctor has looked at/will look at that issue.

Czar

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Probably Catholic ones too. Funny how that works. Really, a body not decomposing? This is the 21st century isn't it? Maybe they buried him in a brine casket?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7594
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So back to the original topic. What kind of benefit will this truly have for Detroit as a whole?

People may go to the site but I doubt many will spend their dollars or stay in the city. I suspect this will be a short pilgrimage and will not result in people committing to working for charitable organziations, etc.

It is good from an image perspective but from a dollars and cents and city improvement issue what will it really do for the city?

Every thread needs a pessimist.

Livedog2

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I nominate you, Jt1!

Livedog2

Gistok

Post Number: 2495
Posted From: 4.229.3.191
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well sainthood may come cheaply, but just how many American saints are there??

For some reason only 2 comes to mind. So apparently American's haven't been all that saintly ( :-) ).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7600
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From wikipedia:

In 1995, Pope John Paul II declared Father Casey to be venerable, which is the first step in the path to sainthood and make him the first American born man to achieve this stage. Many miraculous cures have been associated with Father Solanus's intercession both when he was alive and after his death. Pilgrims from around the world continue to make pilgrimages to Father Solanus's tomb at St Bonaventure.

Gistok

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jt1, and as some have already stated, he has also passed step 2 (beatification). With an influx of even more pilgrims if Sainthood is achieved, those pilgrims are going to have to stay somewhere, and eat something??

So this could be a boon for Detroit. Yeah there will be day trippers from Michigan, Ontario, Indiana and Ohio... but folks from beyond will need lodging and sustinance, especially if they have an affiction.

IIRC, the other 2 USA saints were European born (such as Elisabeth Ann Seton?)... or was one a native American Indian? I cannot recall the 2nd one.

Livedog2

Post Number: 767
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a Native Detroiter named Livedog2! Is that Native American enough?

Livedog2

Gistok

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2... aw come on... admit it.... you're no saint! :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3542
Posted From: 67.38.13.147
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Saints:Elizabeth Ann Seton

John Neumann

Rose Duschesne

Isaac Jogues

Rene Goupil

Katharine Drexel

Frances Cabrini

http://www.allformary.org/Amer icanSaints/saintsAmerican.htm

Livedog2

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well, Gistok, you're probably right! :-) You can't blame me for trying to slip one by but "Forumers" like you are just too sharp for me to be able to get one by you!! :-), again

Livedog2

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1917
Posted From: 68.248.13.92
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, the St. Bonaventure monastery is already a notable place, but if there was a St. Solanus of Detroit, that place would boom, as it would likely create an expansive exhibit, and perhaps house any relics of his. Many Catholics, and religious/history buffs in general, will travel to see something like this. At a church in central Philadelphia is a St. John Neumann memorial/relic site. I believe he was a Czech immigrant to PA, and I'm sad that I didn't visit the site last time I was there. I can see the Monastery expanding, and the archdiocese of Detroit having a major role in this, in addition to increasing overall tourism to Detroit, and the success of related Detroit-history and Catholic church-history venues. A lot of religious folks will visit Detroit to see this, and perhaps tour our historic churches and our downtown while they're here.

Above all, we need more people to take an active role in ministering to the poor and suffering of the city the way Casey did.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could all take a page or two from Fr.Solanus' work with the poor. As for the point of pilgrims comming to Detroit, I am sure there will be many visiting from Eastern Europe especialy Poland which is still very much staunch Catholics. As far as pilgrims from America, there will probably be a steady stream to the site.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3115
Posted From: 68.252.4.96
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably Catholic ones too. Funny how that works. Really, a body not decomposing? This is the 21st century isn't it? Maybe they buried him in a brine casket?"

Even modern embalming does not stop a body from decomposing indefinitely. Nothing we can do can stop our physical trip "from dust to dust". The most we get is to slow the process to a crawl.

When you're talking incorruptibles, the best example is probably St. Bernadette of Lourdes. She died around 1880, and twice her corpse was exhumed. Both times, nothing had happened to it. Today, her still-fresh corpse can be seen at a Chapel in Europe.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck_steve,
Have to understand that many Non- Catholics are not familier with incorruptibles as regaurds to saints. I have gotten into many debates with non Catholics over the years and they all try to explain how the bodies can be preserved in the 20th century. Too bad many were from the 19th century or earlier.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The citizens of Detroit should pray to Casey to solve the budget crisis and cut down on shootings.
If that happens, I'd say he qualifies for sainthood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.