Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Should city council be elected from specific areas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know council members are elected at large but it didn't always used to be that way.
Do you think neighborhoods would get a better shake if council members had to be accountable to a specific area of the city?
It seems that downtown is the main priority for development and has been for years. Meanwhile, the neigborhoods are left to fend for themselves as the population dwindles.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer is yes.

and...It will never happen.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3174
Posted From: 129.137.188.225
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4669
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that could lead into a ward system in which it would never happen. Detroit dump its ward system 90 years ago. It would never be back until the people in Detroit realize what the ward system can do to serve the trust of people without any racial or political corruption stands in their waty.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3111
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not without a major overhaul of the charter. Council has absolutely no power over the administration of any services; this is solely the purview of the mayor.

How can you make a councilperson "responsible" for a defined area of the city unless you also give the ability to provide the services?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they are responsible for nothing.

The Mayor initially tried yo push for this in his first term and mysteriously ... it was dropped from his agenda.

Council has no desire to actually have responsibilty for their actions...they simply want the glory ...and the check.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make all Council positions- non-paying...mayor too.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

even without further power, having a council ward system would benefit the city. Each ward, i.e. SW Detroit would have someone in their corner - vouching for them... I have a hunch if the SW side had actually been represented AT ALL, our current problems with Matty might have neer occured. I think at least two council members plus king kwame live in my parents neighborhood... I don't think this is fair to the rest of the residents of the city. My parents streets are ALWAYS plowed, Frequently repaired, there is basically non-stop policing, and their parks (TWO with in two blocks!) are well maintained... This is not coincidence...

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3112
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So they are responsible for nothing."

Spoken like someone who doesn't really give a shit enough to learn the truth and speak of topics accurately.

In a nutshell, council passes ordinances, resolutions and the budget. You can think of it as them determining the "what" and the mayor as the "how".

The rest of their duties and responsiblities (as well as the Mayor's) is written in the charter and other state laws.

And all of those are available on line, to read at your convenience. Imagine that...

(Message edited by Hamtramck Steve on July 27, 2006)

(Message edited by Hamtramck Steve on July 27, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.