Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Fort and West Grand Blvd. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5721
Posted From: 67.70.118.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is/was this building on the S.E. Corner of Fort and West Grand? I must have driven by it a million times, but I can't remeber what it was?

I noticed today it was being demolished, and what is replacing it?

map

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3116
Posted From: 68.252.4.96
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Salvation Army Booth Center. One time about 6 years ago, that was the closest shelter to Mt. Clemens I could find with an opening for one of the dads on my caseload.

(Message edited by Hamtramck Steve on July 27, 2006)

Aiw

Post Number: 5722
Posted From: 67.70.118.44
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks HTS, I show it as being the Willam & Matilda Booth Hospital on my copy of the Sandborn Maps from the early 1920's.

Any idea of plans for the property?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 66.2.148.143
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sally Anns rebuild as they're in the middle of a large build program.

They recently built a large central facility at the former military housing land just north of the GM Powertrain factory, formerly the Hudson Navy Arsenal, at 9 and Mound. IIRC they are building another place on Conner and Warren(?), or maybe that's somebody else.

If I weren't lazy right now, I'd search around this site, and see WTF they're doing. You, on the other hand, seem to be in an inquisitive mood right now...

http://www.salvationarmyemich. org/

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 68.255.239.182
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booth Memorial hospital in good ol Delray. This is where my father was born. It later became a Physc hospital in the 70s I believe, we always kid him that is why he is a little crazy. Their house was not to far way from there. Bulldozed for the freeway.

Aiw

Post Number: 5723
Posted From: 67.70.117.9
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sally Anns rebuild as they're in the middle of a large build program.

No shit. I noticed the thrift store building on Fort by the post office was getting a total rehab over teh last few months.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3543
Posted From: 67.38.1.198
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Matty

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2249
Posted From: 72.134.37.149
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another part of the growing empire of Maroun, vampire.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 4.229.51.200
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booth

Booth was a hospital for "wayward girls" in a time when it was still fashionable to hide pregnant young women like they had to be quarentined. There were others like Daughter's of Charity's Marillac homes, and Florence Crittenton. This was never a "mental institution". Apparently this home did a lot of good for a lot of troubled girls, all the way into the 1980's.

From a former resident who commented on dETROITfUNK:

"Latino Family Services (now across the street) had started their excellent community services programs on the third floor of the building and there was a child care center open to the community on the second floor across the center hallway from the maternity residential program. There was also a full-service jr/sr high school program set up on the ground floor for both residents and non-residents alike as well as medical facilities."

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 66.134.108.113
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their Fort St. facility near the Post Office is in the second year of a two year total rehab program. Last year, the south end of the building was completely gutted and redone. This year, they're working on the north half. It look great!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.