Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What's that sound? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 69.3.205.108
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live anywhere near Lafayette Park it's deafening and kinda scary. Like a large jet plane is stuck in the air.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.43.115.231
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Detroit Thermal Steam plant on Madison next to Ford Field. When I drove by at 530am the DFD was pulling up. It stopped around 545am. Don't know what was wrong.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 64.7.170.83
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe steam plants typically make those sounds from time to time. My first three years at U of M, I lived across the street from the steamplant and the sound WAS deafening. I always remember students covering their ears as they walked past it. I would only hear the sound for about one to two hours maybe once every month or so. And it would always be very early in the morning.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1202
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the "greater detroit resource recovery center", aka "the monster" at russell and ferry makes similar steam related noises almost weekly..

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no inside knowledge, but based on the fact that it's a steam generation plant, I got the following from a Google search:

"You may also hear loud rushing steam sounds from time to time. This happens during start-up and shutdown of individual units. Steam is purged from the lines during startup to eliminate any moisture built up during off line times. This happens a lot of times during the early morning hours when the units are coming on line for the days load. Load varies on the system due mainly due to outside temperatures reducing or increasing demand. If it is real cold or hot and you hear very loud steam blows, the plant most likely has suffered an abnormal or safety system shutdown. This is part of the life of a generating station."

(from http://hycolake.com/plant.htm)

I think they also sometimes blast steam as part of a cleaning cycle, which could have been what caused the noise as well.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a release value to prevent the pressure from rising beyond a certain point. This safety mechanism keeps the boiler from blowing up!

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 664
Posted From: 198.208.251.21
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the moment, we in the RenCen are having our cilia destroyed by the BOOM-BOOMING of bass from the band playing on the riverfront. It's like being stuck next to That Guy at a red light, only having to work and the light never changes. Would be another story if I were down there with a beer, I'm sure... :-)

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 65.43.43.17
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it's deafening and kinda scary. Like a large jet plane is stuck in the air."

Was Rush Limbaugh in town?

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 69.136.149.45
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So its like this... but big.

big

fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.