Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Berry Gordy's Motown Center After-School Program « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be the start of something big!!

Motown magic: Berry Gordy is giving back to Detroit with his after-school program …"

by Susan Whitall

"For Jontash Green, the assembly last winter at Southeastern High School was just another excuse for adults to talk, and for kids to tune out.

The visitors were from Berry Gordy Jr.'s Motown Center, but to a 15-year-old Detroiter in 2006, the name Motown has a faded, old-school ring to it.

Doubtful teenage faces glowered from underneath hooded sweat shirts as the students listened to Tanya Heidelberg-Yopp and Brian Stevenson of Motown Center as they gave their pitch.

The plan was for an after-school program with veteran Motown producers like Brian and Eddie Holland and Clay McMurray giving inspirational talks. A staff of young producers would lead the kids through the process of recording a CD.

Even given Motown's history molding teenagers into recording stars and producers, what happened at Southeastern over the next few months surprised everybody.

..."

Full story at: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/E NT01/607280337

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 710
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhmmm... skipper's rule on anything related to Berry Gordy.....

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1364
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big whoopie doo. This guy leaves Detroit for LA and never looks back, takes some of Detroits best talent with him, doesn't bother to take care of his property that he still owns while he is in LA and then starts an after school program decades later.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 66.73.238.3
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody is actually reaching out to inner city youth in a positive way to provide them with an outlet for their creativity, Tsk, tsk...what a terrible thing.

Lighten up on BG. As a businessman and entreprenuer he ranks among the best, and nobody can dispute that. If the realities of the entertainment industry caused him to make business decisions that made it necessary for him to leave Detroit in order to branch out and grow his organization, so be it. Sure, I wish Motown had never left the city, but what Gordy did to make the City of Detroit internationally recognized as the home of Hitsville USA is something the city should be grateful for.

I applaud Mr. Gordy's efforts. The list of ex-Detroiters who have left here to becaome rich and famous elsewhere without ever giving anything back to the city is long and distingushed, so why pick on Gordy?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1365
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This list of Detroiters that have started after school programs and done far more noble things than this is also very long and distinguished, why bother writing an article about Barry Gordy when he has done so little for Detroit and others have done far more?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 66.73.238.3
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gogo, if you're asking why this story is newsworthy, I guess the short answer is because Gordy's name is recognizable by nearly all Detroiters and this effort is looked upon as a positive contribution to the community and the folks at the Detroit News felt that the citizens of metro Detroit would like to hear about it. That's my guess anyway.

As for others who have done more for the city than Gordy, I think ANYONE who makes postive efforts on behalf the city should be recognized.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I guess people who don't do right by Detroiters can't get back in good graces? Everyone talks about spurring development and also all the things he has not done and then when makes a step in the right direction he is dogged.

Of course it would have been nice to see Motown stay in Detroit, but from a business standpoint... there was more of a talent pool in Cali for him... now I don't agree with how he became a slumlord.

So I guess he should abandon his plans here? Damn cry babies

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only dog BGordy, because the "Motown Center" was supposed to be build across the street from my condo for the last 6 years and now both buildings are gone and there are STILL no plans for the Center OR a Museum.

That is the reason for my comment. Sorry, I don't care what he did in the past with Motown. I care about the present and future and right now, I am looking at some huge vacant land because of him dragging his feet. Call me a crybaby, but I think I am justified in my opinion. There is just no damned excuse. Sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.