Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gay Games in Detroit? » Gay Games -- nothing to do with Sports « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1726
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought the dialogue would continue if it was over here.

--------------------

I posted this on that other forum about a week ago but it seems to fit in here. It's not gonna make many people happy, but ...

-------------------

I'm not Chicago's biggest fan. It's fun, but it's a little too, I dunno, corporate, for my personal tastes. Give me San Francisco with their love of the independent any day. However I went to the Opening Ceremonies of the Gay Games this past weekend (you somehow thought Supergay wouldn't be there?), and aside from the INSANE number of gay people there (40,000 +) and a feeling of solidarity I have felt, oh, NEVER, Mayor Daley of Chicago got up to give one of the most surprising and amazing speeches I've ever heard.

Now what did he say, you might ask yourself. Did he hedge and skirt the issues of gay acceptance and instead talk about how happy he was that the games chose Chicago and don't forget to have a pizza or shop at Marshall Field's? Did he make a joke and put on a wig? Did he say "stay away from my kids" like our Kwame? No.

He got up there, and in no uncertain terms said that the GLBT community is completely welcome in Chicago, that they have been in the lead of every quality of life issue in the city, that the city of Chicago supports marriage equality and that Chicago is lucky to have the gay community it has.

In the media ahead of time he unashamedly spoke of the Gay Games as a great practice run in the Chicago bid for the Olympics in 2016. And every year over gay pride (they actually have a parade instead of a renaissance faire), the mayor has a big reception for his supporters in the gay community.

As I sat there with tears literally streaming down my face (ruining a flawless application of $40 foundation), I realized that Detroit is a shithole for gay people, and they need to get the hell out of here. Detroit does not want gay people, and the majority of straight people in SE Michigan don't even know more than a few gay or lesbian people who aren't their hairdresser.

Gay is not a novelty in Chicago, it's not a blight or an embarrassment. It's just a fact of life, and the quality of life for gays and lesbians is outstanding. And Chicago has certainly reaped the benefits, in redevelopment, creativity, excellent (and huge) non-profit health organizations that benefit the entire community, and in this case, $50 million dollars of economic benefit over the course of a week.

In Detroit Kwame has to say shit like "I would not be comfortable with gay people around my children." Police precincts heads, when told by gay activists that gay and lesbian people need to be treated with the same rights as others, reply, "Now you're getting into theological issues." And of course, our gay bars are a beauty to behold, and reflect beautifully gay quality of life in general.

Take the SuperBowl and its pop-up bars, sidewalk shootings, and temporary everything and shove it up your ass, Detroit. Chicago just secured its place as one of the top places for GLBT people in the country - benefitting people who will actually stay there and grow the city - and it got a shitload of cash in the process.

Any gay person (who is not making major cash or has some other REALLY compelling reason) who stays here instead of driving four hours west is an idiot.

Supergay's advice to Detroit gays? Get out now, go and be loved.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 661
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any relation to the reindeer games we once heard of?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch: I agree. But, Detroiters can't even get along with each other simply because of skin color (as is evident on many of these threads). Detroit is losing out on much opportunity by not embracing everyone, regardless of skin color, sexual preference, etc. The Mayor's comment about gay people around his children is just an ignorant statement and shows the mentality of misinformed people. If he did a bit of research he'd find that pedophiles aren't gay. He'd be better off fearing a stray bullet hitting his kids or an uninsured motorist who's drunk slamming into his Navigator! Oh, lest we not forget the strippers (and thugs he knows who kill strippers) he associates with. Great role models...
Chicago and other major cities sure do have a one up on Detroit when it comes to people's attitudes regarding others who wish to make residence there.
I hope for change...but doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1727
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to avoid the appearance of plagarism, this was cut and pasted from the gay games thread in the sports section.

I am not the author, but rather just trying to continue a conversation that was started, interesting, and insightful.

Relegating it to that thread effectively killed the discourse -- that is except for Danny's brilliant editorial.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.