Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Stray dogs on highways !? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 541
Posted From: 70.226.109.195
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am deeply concerned about stray dogs running across area highways. Last Friday, I was a passenger in a co-worker's car going eastbound on I-96 near Cloverlanes, when we noticed a stray dog's life in great danger making its way through the middle of the highway. Cars going at 70 MPH or more were trying their best to swerve and avoid hitting the dog.

Then later in the afternoon, on WWJ radio, the traffic reporter mentioned that a stray dog was seen on I-94. This is a problem for drivers because aside from hitting the dog, swerving and abrutly stepping on the brakes may cause accidents in and of itself.

Just a concerned rant, folks. Feel free to share your thoughts or any possible solutions.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on 96 headed dowtown at the end of June and saw a stray pitbull on the shoulder of the freeway under an overpass next to the barrier to the other side of the freeway. It scared me to death thinking it might run out and I might hit it. I would have been devestated. It was just standing there. I am not one to approach strange dogs and I didn't feel safe stopping on the side of a freeway and thought the dog might startle and run across. Not much I could have done in that situation. I found it disturbing because on the service drive there was fencing (granted there could have been a hole in the fence). I thought perhaps someone dumped the dog on the freeway. Sad that someone would just allow a dog to wander like that or even dump it.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 626
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

............or the dog came down the ramp

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was quite a bit away from the ramp...but it's possible. Either way, sad that dog was left on its own to battle the freeway.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 951
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad caused a fatal accident trying to miss a stray dog on I-75 close to a rest area. He was in the middle lane and didn't see the car rapidly accelerating in the left lane. He swerved to miss the dog and the Mercedes in the left lane swerved to miss my dad and hit the center wall and flipped over. This all happend at about 80mph.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will only swerve to miss a human being. All dogs go to heaven anyway.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 4.229.123.75
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But do all people Firefly?.......

There should be escape routes for animals i.e. holes every twenty feet or so in the fencing.It seems often times the animal is trapped on the x-way with no way of getting out.

The one time I saw an animal on the e-way it was near Milan. He was up on the slope just sitting .I approached him and he was very docile and sweet(he was a big dog). I managed to force him into the van I was driving.He did not resist but more like trying to dress a baby. Fortunately he had tags with his address which ran parallel to the x-way.I put him into a fenced area where he seemed perfectly content.

I have come across other animals in similar circumstances.I believe if not able to capture the animal the next best thing is to chase them off a busy area.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firefly has the right answer, harsh as it may seem. Swerving hard to avoid an animal is just asking for disaster. Hit the dang dog square if the situation arises. Stuff happens.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 953
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy to say, just hit the dog and don't swerve, but in reality reflexes are pretty hard to overcome.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 67.149.69.93
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they have lips?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Southwest.....stoppppp itttttttt :-)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 216.203.223.93
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attempted to get a photo of a dog's lips, but this was the best I could get. I finally have an appropriate reason to post this, now as to the why of it...

FYI, that is a metal ring used to demonstrate the proper embouchure to a horn student.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing with Deer.. You hit them square on.. Don't try to get around them or you may die.. Simple as that..

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone that has read and/or participated in this thread has a perfect opprtunity to practice the 6 P's -- Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. People hardly ever think of what they don't think of. Got that? So, now that your consciousness has been raised about dogs or any animal coming onto the freeway you can think about it and decide what you will do if/when it happens. That way you might mitigate the reaction -- to an action. And, hopefully you will save your life and others around you. But, then you have to worry about the idiot next to you that never heard of DetoitYES and didn't read this thread. My plan is to hit anything that gets in front of me on the freeway while I am traveling 80 mph. If its a dog I'll feel bad, if it's a cat I'll hope it was my ex's, if it's a deer -- oh well and if it's person there's always therapy unless it's my ex, in which case the beer's on me!

Livedog2 -- did I say dog or Livedog2?

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trying to predict what you'll do in a "crisis" situation is as easy as predicting what direction an animal will run (or dart!). Like where I work, they say "that all accidents are preventable." ??? Isn't that why they're called "accidents"? You didn't know it was coming, so how can you prevent it?!?

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people just react perfectly at all times, in every situation I guess............ie Deaddog2 er ah Livedog2

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 69.14.237.82
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well, if their owners don't care about them why should I? Just floor it and crush em good they will die sooner or later anyway. Gee, I'm starting to sound like those that favor abortion.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2516
Posted From: 4.229.81.176
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my car driver side airbag go off (for apparently no reason) while driving alone at 65 MPH in the left lane on I-94 in Harper Woods. I didn't flinch at all, and just slowly inched my way over to the right shoulder. That's when the panic set in.

Some part on the undercarriage of the car had come loose and triggered the airbag inflation.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 67.149.69.93
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who let the dogs out?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There should be escape routes for animals i.e. holes every twenty feet or so in the fencing.

Don't forget to put a "Do Not Enter" sign on the outside of the fence next ot each of those holes. Oh, and then hold remedial reading classes for all the strays in the city.

The posts on DYes are like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of goofy stuff you are going to get when you read one.

Citylover

Post Number: 1676
Posted From: 4.229.123.27
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a way for animals to escape genius.They will find a way out if one is available.But when they are trapped there is no way out.

I forgot which african country built bridges for monkeys to cross over busy roads to avoid being hit so the idea of escaping is not that farfetched.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 544
Posted From: 71.148.7.12
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently, if a dog or any animal for that matter somehow ends up on the highway, death is for certain. Even if the dog manage to dodge traffic from end to end, it will not have anywhere to go, hence making another trip into the middle of the road. Eventually luck runs out and either it gets hit or it causes a pile-up.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some days I forget to take my "genius pills", but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you make more places for animals to escape, you also make more places for them to get onto the freeway, which is what we don't want.

About those monkeys, wouldn't have just been easier to plant trees on both sides of the road to give them a natural "escape route"? Trees are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than pedestrian bridges for simians.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 65.95.58.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to sound harsh but are these stray dogs not a safety issue, if they are wandering around the city? I am sorry, but I would not want a pitbull strolling around the city by itself.
If this is such an issue then the city must crack down on the reason this is happening.
Someones going to get attacked by these dogs if they are just roaming the city like that.

Citylover

Post Number: 1677
Posted From: 4.229.132.42
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bridges were a simple rope/swinging bridge kind of a thing if memory serves me.

Yes you are right my suggestion does make it more probe for animals/i.e dogs to get on the freway.But it seems to me that how a dog got there in the 1st place is a key point.I wonder how many are intentionally released near highways.Anyhow from my observation when a dog is lost and in a panic state they are obviously very agitated and disoriented.Wouldn't gaps in freeway fencing at least be achance for escape?

Mike in Toronto watch the animal planet animal police show detroit edition if you don't already.Shit brained pigs is really doing a dis-service to a pig when describing the people i.e. humans in detroit and the way they treat animals.Not all(obviously) but enough to keep the humane society busy all the time_ and three cheers for those socciety people that do a dangerous job.It is either dog fighting or criminal neglect that occupies a lot of time.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past week I've seen 3 dead dogs on 94 or it's ramps. Sad.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1253
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, just saw a dead dog on the westbound I-94 exit ramp to Michigan Ave this morning, it wasn't there yesterday. :-(

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw,
Where do you commute into Dearborn from?
Just curious, always looking for carpool potential...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1256
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside Detroit/Indian Village area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.