Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Penske is looking to revive racing on Belle Isle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6483
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Roger Penske plans to bring open-wheel racing back to Belle Isle, and he's hoping to get it on next year's Indy Racing League schedule.

Penske, sitting in a black leather chair in his motor coach before Sunday's IRL Firestone Indy 400, said he has had informal discussions with Detroit officials

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006607310373

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1209
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome!

the motor city without motor-racing (well, the wheeled kind anyways) is blasphemy!

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 141.217.53.62
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather have Formula 1 back on the streets of downtown myself.

The last time I went to a CART race on Belle Isle it rain and the whole infield turned into a mud bog.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 68.248.75.129
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited to know that belle isle will possibly be used for racing again. This likely means the road surface will be repaired and I will be able to enjoy a couple more curves to their fullest potential on the bike without having to worry about being chucked off the outside by a pothole.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1943
Posted From: 71.144.117.26
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^That is true. It was designed by the same man who did Central Park, but it is hardly looking like it. I wouldn't go criticizing the people who use the island, although the litter situation can suck and people should take responsibility.

Good for Penske! What a cool track that is, and nice media exposure for a beautiful park on the water in the central city. I remember how cool the media coverage was. This just falls into line with the fact that we need more big events here, so why not bring back something we used to have.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7630
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

among other things plus civilized occupants would help too.

Does that go for my wife and I that were there yesterday?

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am there everyday to drop/pickup my kids from camp and am always pleasantly surprised on how the trash is being picked up and the bathrooms kept relatively clean. We were driving through Rouge Park and Hines over the weekend and the most remarkable thing was the difference in the way the parks are maintained. Rouge's bathrooms and picnic areas are an eyesore. The grass isn't cut and it looks quite scary. Hines and Belle Isle are by far much better taken care of.
Now if we can only get the Giant Slide open.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, any big ticket events that can bring people into the city will be welcome. Just read in todays paper how Detroit will double their downtown hotels by 2008, and we need to fill them. It would be good if we got a 10 or more year commitment like Penske wants. Now if only they can figure out how to expand Cobo to lure more big ticket conventions from other cities.
This also proves that to get things done we need more business leaders like Penske and rely less on political leaders. Penske has proven yet again that he truly cares for his addopted hometown.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1950
Posted From: 71.144.117.26
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?!?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Uncle tom.. That's rather interesting.. considering he used the race card big time in the election.. hmm...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6204
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're not talking THAT kind of race here.

Who but Penske to drive this thing? Pretty cool, I'd say.

EVERY time I see those red and white striped curbs on the island I wax nostalgic...then run home to view again that Sly Stallone racing movie that showed aerial shots of Belle Isle during one of the races there.

What was the name of that?! Oh yeah, Driven.

Another modern classic...heh.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know.. But that's what uncle tom refers too.. Too bad someone had to take it there.. Though I would love to see it come back.. Sounds like a good plan.. Upgrade Belle Isle and get the races on top of it! Excellent!

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 69.14.237.82
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, racing on Belle Isle, gotta pay to see that though, just like if you want to see any of the other few remaining cultural attractions there. Of course still it's free if you just want to drink your 40's, smoke your blunts, and annoy the others with loud "music".....

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1365
Posted From: 66.2.148.63
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, when I posted this:

quote:

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:16 pm:
The open wheel guy on Speedvision's news was talking about the IRL schedule for next year, and he said that they were talking about a Belle Isle race. Sounds like Penske is pushing for it.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/75859.html?1152202 554

Nobody was interested in it.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1056
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger Penske for Mayor!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 68.60.139.11
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

start ur engines, but watch out for the flooded streets and geese!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1020
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that's because every two weeks someone else comes up with a Detroit Grand Prix coming back to Belle Isle thread and I think lots of us have exhausted our opinions on the topic.

(Personally, I think it's a ironic departure for the IRL who was formed as the next great "American" racing league to race on ovals ala NASCAR to now be adding all of these road courses and street circuits... If there has to be a race on Belle Isle I'd most certainly rather it not be the IRL but I digress...)

That thread was more about F1 anyway.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2823
Posted From: 66.167.211.167
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car racing on Belle Isle?

Nooooooooo

We love ya Roger Penske, but not that much.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1367
Posted From: 66.2.148.69
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too hate the Crapwagons, as Paul Tracy called them; he might take that back if he loses his ride.

For a race to be successful on BI, they'd have to make the circuit and facilities more like the Montreal one in Isle Notre Dame, which I think would entail too much permanent change to the isle.

Almost forgot,...but I was correct.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*patting Hornwrecker on head*

Yes, yes you were.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2825
Posted From: 66.167.211.167
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This anonymous but interesting note just came in from the e-mail bag:

quote:

http://www.pvgp.org/pvgp/site/ default.asp

This is an amazing event in Pittsburgh's premier urban park, updated facilities at Belle Isle could make events like this possible. Other races could include something the like Petite LeMans with the opportunity for Karmonos to bring his Ferrari killing Corvettes home for a run.

http://www.americanlemans.com/ home/ALMSHome.aspx

If Monaco can shut down its entire downtown, Detroit can close a portion of Belle Isle for a while.

Emmerson Fittipaldi, two time F1 champion, Indy 500 winner and CART season champion and a man to be known of exception taste and urbanity has unequivocably declared Belle Isle as the most visually attractive temporary track in the world. Prettier than Monaco, LeMans and even the venerable old Nurburgring.

This could and should be on of the premiere events of the racing season. Good (and not very challenging or complex) planning minimizes the impact to the island and brings needed resources to the Island.

Recall CART and its promoter paid for all expenses of the race including set, clean up, fencing, portajohns, shuttle busses etc. On top of that there was a $3.00 "Island access fee" that went directly into the budget for Belle Isle for each ticket sold. So if you bought the two day weekend pass, you were donating $6 to the island. Note the decline in maintenance and closing of certain amenities after the race left. The island took a major hit in its its revenue and had to cut corners.

This is a no brainer to me....

BTW, I liked the downtown Grand Prix but always felt a part of it should have gone on the expressways to let them open up and pass. Passing on the downtown course was next to impossible. If you got the pole and your car didn't break down, you won.

Remembering late great Ayrton Senna...

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1425
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This likely means the road surface will be repaired and I will be able to enjoy a couple more curves to their fullest potential on the bike without having to worry about being chucked off the outside by a pothole.

Looks like someone hasn't been there lately -> the road surface is smooth all around the isle.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1254
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a huge fan of racing, but I have to admit that Belle Isle is not a bad place for something like this. A race on Belle Isle is a lot less disruptive to non-race fans than a downtown race. And if it means more money for improvements to the island, I'm all for that. (although I wouldn't want to see major changes to the roadway layout)

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 38.117.242.163
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is penske going around the country trying to revive racing in major cities? We just had a similar story pop up in the news here in brooklyn that he was looking to bring open-wheel racing to floyd bennet field, a long abandoned airport in brooklyn.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2528
Posted From: 4.229.72.26
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching the Belle Isle Grand Prix on TV many years ago. I was amazed at how stunningly beatiful the helicopter shots were of the race and surrounding area. It really made the island and Detroit (in the distance) look like a water wonderland paradise.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the view from on the island was never as beautiful.

I think I still have mud in my converse sneakers from the 1995 DGP.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the course like when the race was run at Belle Isle? All I know is the location of the pits and the lower section of the course.

I'm too young to remember. I just remember it being blazing hot when we went down there for a couple of them.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

{belleisle}

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.