Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Freep Editorial:Preserve City's Best « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3548
Posted From: 68.248.81.235
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The preservationists know they face an uphill battle in a town that always wants the newest model. But they deserve a place at the table and, by coming together, they earn the credibility to be there.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060731/OPI NION01/607310308/1068

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7624
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the city has a 100 building hit list.

:-)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 957
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99 the ML is gone.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1941
Posted From: 71.144.117.26
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That effort will include restoring regional pride in assets that guests from out of town often marvel at while residents look right past: one of the country's best collections of early 20th-Century buildings, an authentic urban landscape, plus truly unique automotive and music landmarks."

Our city has beautiful landmark buildings from out early days which we cannot do without. If we destroy our urban fabric anymore, we'll be a suburb of 900,000 people in no time. This editorial points out that we cannot go any further in tearing down re-usable buildings, otherwise our city will no longer look like a city.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1755
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

98, the Statler is gone too.

I aplaud the Freep for recognizing that one of the strongest things Detroit has going for it is its history. History tourism is a big business and Detroit is loaded with lots of history, from the auto industry to nautical history to musical history to architectural history, etc., etc., etc. I hope Detroit and metro Detroit are able to build on their past instead of always looking for a new future which never seems to materialized.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2513
Posted From: 4.229.72.175
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who sees that this article says very little?

Such as what groups are they talking about coming together?? Who's in charge of the group??

Aren't journalists supposed to ask these kind of questions?

So far we know very little...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an editorial. Supposedly, they already did the reporting. My point is, we're supposed to look elsewhere for details, this short piece is merely their opinion.

Good points, Bvos. If I didn't live in the area, I would travel to Detroit. I'm sure of it. People who enjoy history and/or study cities (and their failure) have a pretty large book to read here in Detroit. I'm confident there are curious people out there. I just had a friend in town who was quite eager to know what was going on in Detroit, and had only known the city from highway glances and news reels before. He left thinking that the city wasn't as bad as it is made out to be, and that our downtown was even better than it has recently been hyped to be. I said--check back in a few years.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to see as many buildings as possible restored. When I travel to other cities such as Chicago and even Cleveland, they have done a fine job renevating structures from the early 20th century.

We have a few gems such as the Penobscott, Guardian, Fisher, and GM's former headquarters just to name a few. Another building that seem to fly under the radar is the former Leland Hotel that is now the Ramada. With that said they should restore the Free Press' former building.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have many gems, skyscrapers and smaller buildings. Thankfully, most of our early 20th century skyscrapers are still standing. Most in the know put our stock of 1920s CBD buildings 2nd only to NY City.

Our problem is that the fringes of downtown: east, west, and north, have been all but oblitered by mid- and late- century blight, housing projects, parking lots, and freeways. Where many cities have upscale, dense neighborhoods near the central city, we have a rag-tag collection that we are now piecing together, finally showing an awareness for the few old homes and mid-size buildings that are still there--best examples: Brush Park and Corktown. Example of a dense neighborhood that's now completely gone: Paradise Valley and the Lafayette Plaisance.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 672
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please will someone tell me where these 'truly unique music landmarks' are?
Let's see...we have the Motown Museum, the Blue Bird Inn (not currently operating) and Baker's.
Not many considering the influence Det has had on American music.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 533
Posted From: 35.12.21.194
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good point about the Free Press building, Detroitej72. I've always thought that it's interesting how the Freep extols the virtues of renovated buildings, yet is silent on the issue of its former headquarters. I realize that there's a For Sale sign on the building, but you'd think that an institution that purportedly is "on guard" would be more proactive in getting its former building re-used.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.