Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Skateboarder Nuisance? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1085
Posted From: 208.49.95.11
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed an abundance of grungy teens on skateboards, rollerblades, and dirt bikes lately?

They, in themselves, are not a big deal, however, it seems as though their actions are damaging the streetscaping and surrounding buildings.

Take Friday night for example. I'm walking down Woodward and there's a group of about ten with their skateboards. One skates, jumps, and bounces off the side of the building currently housing the "Apartment" nightclub. Another skates, jumps, and grinds one of the rails of the lovely planters lining the street.

His clumsy actions make him trip off his skateboard, and take out a couple of plants in the planter and showering dirt everywhere.

I would have loved to say something to these assholes, but of course, I was outnumbered 10 to 1 and I didn't want to get beaten up.

A couple of weeks ago, I witness a Dave Mirra wannabe on a dirt bike speeding down the sidewalks of Compuware. What does he do? Jumps up and grinds his bike on the granite planters along Compuware.

It just baffles me why they think they can do what they do and it's no big deal.

Would something like this be considered a crime (if anyone was around to enforce it)?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 87.234.219.50
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would you rather it be bums pissing on the planter or a hooker asking you for a date?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1019
Posted From: 70.236.163.239
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those companies need to put those grind stopper thingys on the planters.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 69.14.237.82
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What annoys me is the multitudes of immature thug wanna be's who vibrate the plaster off the walls of my house as they drive aimlessly about the neighborhood in beat up hoop d's playing their obscene "music".. I'll take skateboarders anyday over these punks.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love watching people do the stunts when they don't see the stopper things down and they wipe out when the board or skates abruptly halt lol

Matt

Post Number: 1086
Posted From: 208.49.95.11
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I'd rather none of those things happen, Bussey.

Something like this might seem trivial, but a lot of work and money went into improving the Lower Woodward corridor. It just angers me that these skateboarders have no regard for that (just like it angers me if a tagger puts his mark on a building or a homeless person pisses in those lovely planters).

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt-
Short answer: yes, it is destruction of property.

That said, I am a skateboarder and enjoy skating downtown. However, and maybe its because I actually live in the city, I refrian from using anything marble, granite, sandstone etc. and respect all that the city has done downtown in the years since I've moved in (which is a lot). I stick to poured concrete (i.e. parking blocks, curbs and the like), and usually go to hart plaza, which is a great spot and out of the way of pedestrian traffic.

It pisses me off when I hear about these people because they give me a bad name. They usually come from the suburbs to skate downtown because the cops in the burbs are vigilant about kicking them outta their good "spots" and the cops here have bigger fish to fry. Thats not to say that none of them respect the area, but it's often the case.

So, I'm sorry you had to see that Matt. Just know that we're not all bad.

p.s. detroit needs a skate park:-)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 877
Posted From: 68.60.139.244
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out at Hart Plaza and I saw 6 or 7 sakteboarders (teens) grinding on the Underground Railroad Statue! I was in a hurry, but when I got to Jefferson I wsa close to turning around and popping one of them.

Designut

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I see shit like that I usually say something. You should have popped one of them!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1097
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! This is something that really bothers me.. These people seem to think that the rails on the new Woodward planters are for them to skateboard or rollerblade on... i cant stand it

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6203
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a bunch of 'em down in the open sheds here in the Market...nothing to destroy here...I welcome the people NOT asking me for spare change. Haven't seen 'em recently, so I wonder if the security down here chased them away.

If I catch any of them doing anything on the sculptures in Hart Plaza, I'll be on the horn to some of the cops I know, and they'll learn the price of disrespecting property. If I see it twice, I'll form a posse and get vigilant.

I've taken recently to visiting those sculptures regularly, as a reminder of our legacy, and the Underground Railroad one is particularly special to me.

It'd take one within the community, like Designut, to help bring a little sense to them, though. Since they are all slightly Xtreme, they probably are humored pissing regular folks off.

Spread that good example, Designut. Thanks!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their just a bunch of harmless youth. I say the more young folks that come down to the D the better. In a few years when they decide to move out on their own, maybe they will move to Detroit.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 878
Posted From: 68.60.139.244
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you there, Detroitej72, which is why I'm happy to see them aorund, I just wish they were a little more respectful of the public spaces, that's all.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They really trash stuff, I don't like what they do to things, there are places where they have worn away the concrete on the Riverwalk, I even yelled at them for using the union monument for grinding/a ramp, but they won't listen to me. The cops should be all over these kids, or maybe we should just stop designing nice thinga cuz these kids are going to wreck it?

The worst thing is these are not kids doing this stuff, young adults they should know better and be prosecuted.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KG0II9FUK0Q&search=detroit%20%20skate

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on July 31, 2006)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 24.247.163.145
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind the presence of these people, but when property starts getting damaged it becomes an issue.

I know what you mean about damage to those granite planters. Outside my residence hall at U of M, some groups of young teenagers would skateboard down this very long ramp coming from a pedestrian overpass and grind the low rails, and smooth granite. After awhile, green, red, black, and blue paint scuffs started showing up all over it and grass was getting pretty bare where they would take spills. Not to mention the collisions they made with pedestrians. IMO, if it becomes a huge problem, these types of activities can be "banned" from one particular street or several. This doesn't mean it is necessarily enforced to the point where any person that skateboards or rollerblades on the sidewalk is ticketed. Rather if anyone is caught grinding rails or crashing into planters that causes possible damage to property, they can be ticketed. It has worked successfully in many cities. And rarely do people complain because all you have to do is not destroy public or private property.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 68.60.139.30
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's up to the owners of the buildings, businesses, and planters to take care of the skater problems. Compuware has security don't they? I bet you the Apartment nightclub has security too. Let them take care of the problem, if they even care about it. Detroit cops have more important things to do.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1364
Posted From: 66.2.148.63
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get off of my lawn.

Damn punks.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2258
Posted From: 72.134.37.149
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, who'd have thought I'd ever be agreeing with Pacy on anything.
I think it's refreshing to see skatekids downtown. If one can step around the bums, one can step around the skatekids.
Of course, my opinion may be swayed b/c I just saw the movie
"Wassup Rockers".
It's those punks with the throbbing car stereos that I can't stand.
They turn me into my own father, as I lean out the window and yell "turn that shit down!"

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 69.14.237.82
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet, why can't King Kwame take all the punk thugs AND skateboarders and put them in the 7 and Hayes area and let them irritate each other and let the rest of us alone in peace. 7 and Hayes is the armpit of Detroit.

Matt

Post Number: 1087
Posted From: 68.42.170.148
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's refreshing to see them downtown, Barnes, but it's extremely disrespectful and rude to be destroying public/private property. It's not a matter of walking around them.

If they want to skate, great. Stick to sidewalks, curbs, etc. Don't destroy all that has been improved.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son is a biker (BMX trick) and he would love an old warehouse to use for biking. There really are no formal skate parks for the kids to use. Although he won't destroy property, he has said that if there were parks with rails, cement, marble etc., where kids could do the tricks without damaging property he and his friends would utilize it (and pay to do so).

They have built many portable objects with rails, steps, ramps and such that they cart around (in trucks) and set up in parks and abandon parking lots. I asked him about bothering people and he said that if anyone says anything to him or his friends, they respect that and will stop biking and find another area. He and his friends always participate in clean up days. He has come home on occasion and said the cops stopped them because they had trash bags all over. When the kids explain that they clean the area and take their trash with them when they leave, the cops usually thank them and let them ride. He's come home with cement (from their portable thingys), garbage and all sorts of stuff that has broken. They also clean up the areas where they ride before they ride (he says to protect tires) and when they leave.

Maybe I just got a good kid...but I think most will respect you if you explain the historical meaning behind what they may be destroying and say it in a nice tone.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2260
Posted From: 72.134.37.149
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, I would argue that most skaters don't destroy property.
As usual, it only takes a few assholes to tarnish the whole sport.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1214
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed an abundance of grungy teens on ...dirt bikes lately

I'm a grungy 30 year old, get it right! :-)

when all the other problems in the city are all wrapped up, I could see this as being worth law enforcement looking into. For now its up to the property owners, landscape architects, etc to realize that this is a potential property damage issue and design/build/enforce accordingly.

oh yeah, SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 01, 2006)

(Message edited by GRAVITYMACHINE on August 01, 2006)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4699
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let them come to Detroit to skateboard. They are not afraid of the po'folks, mutants anymore. Soon they would get facinated with the development that they may think about moving to Detroit. The suburbs are getting boring for them anyway.

Designut

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said barnesfoto, all it takes is a few bad assholes...umm...apples to spoil the bunch:-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6209
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To some, there ARE no bad assholes.

<<< cue Manrooter entrance, stage left.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have to chalk this up as another urban living nuisances that we have to put with. If you want diverse community you can be smog when they do their thing. Just wait until the "Darta is dropping kids off by the thousands downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.