Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - August 1st « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5736
Posted From: 67.70.116.39
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you've got the holy quartet in one frame, Andrew: Bowling, cocktails, pizza and ice cream.

Sweet!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4696
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sometimes go to Luxury Lanes for my bowling days. The owners previously remodel the interior.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the lanes wider? Like the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer adopts a highway and removes two lane-lines to make it a "Two lane comfort cruise."

Elaine said, "Wow...how luxurious."

Sorry for the seinfeld spasm.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems as if bowling is not near as popular as it was ten or twenty years ago. Possibly the loss of a TV contract for the PBA contributed to that, but the number of bowling alleys seems to be declining.

I gave up bowling about five years ago thanks to a bit of arthritis in the fingers of my right hand. 'Twas fun, but don't really miss it.

Danny

Post Number: 4714
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! I bowled until my hands and arms get tired. And if I die and go to heaven, I'm going there playing bowling in my very own bowling alley.

Yes, bowling participation and Metro-Detroit Bowling alleys had declined over the years but the young kids, learning new bowling stride techiques had brought bowling participation back up to normal fall leagues levels. In 2005, The ABC, the American Bowling Congress and WABC, the Womens' American Bowling Congress has merged to become USBC The United States Bowling Congress. All sanctioned leagues had been signed into it. I myself am a league member since 2004. And I have lured lots of people to come out and bowl in leagues with all your strides and techinques.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good gravy, Andrew. You have this nasty habit of making me feel really old. Luxury Lanes has been at 9 Mile and the GTW tracks since I was in junior high. I don't know how truely original the free standing sign is. When the house was built, there was no lounge and food came from vending machines. Note the "blank" sign above the Luxury Lounge sign. I believe that says "open bowling" and is lit when the house is not taken up with leagues.

It was a bit of a bike ride from my house on W. Maplehurst (2nd block), but that was where you went to bowl after Ferndale Lanes closed and the little 8 lane house on Vester was torn down to become a Detroit Bank and Trust drive up.

Thanks for the memories......

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4163
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba leanred bowling at Tower Lanes, Wyoming and Fenkell. Long gone. It was next to the Westown Theater. Thanks Andrew. (Andrew even knows the Detroit suburbs; amazing guy.)

jjaba, Westsider.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1347
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba and I learned how to bowl back before they had automatic pinsetters. They had pinboys.
What a breed they were, always wore tee-shirts, with their cigarettes wrapped into the sleeve of the tee-shirt.
And did you used to hear from the pinboy when you threw your second ball before he was out of the way. Talk about the language. Wow!! They made Mel Gibson's tirade sound like a sermon from the pulpit.
How many Forumers used to actually give your pinboy a tip if you bowled a 250 game?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4166
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba learned to bowl from The Rock. The Rock taught him the swear words to shout back at the pinboy. Sometimes you yelled at them to fucking hurry up. Sometimes they got behind in the action.

jjaba never bowled 250 so no tip. Good memories Rock.

jjaba, always learning from The Rock.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, I never bowled a 250 either. 244 was the highest I ever shot, and 600 series were few and far between.

I remember the pin boys always had a quart size bottle of pop (I THINK it was pop) with them in the pits. It was the first time I saw large bottles of Pepsi/Coke/whatever.

The_rock

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you pissed off the pin boy, he could really slow your game up by not returning your ball to you. Back then, most of the ball returns were "above the boards" rather than the ball being returned to you underneath the alley thru a tunnel. It could become a little distracting as you were lining up to throw your first ball, and you would suddenly hear and then see a ball coming back from the pit! Thanks, Mr. pinboy.
No automatic, electronic scoring devices either. All scoring was done "by hand". 25 cents a game.
Ned Day was a big-time name, as familiar as any athlete of the day. Andy Varapappa was another.
State Fair Lanes was a big-time venue, and another establishment was on the east side of Woodward just below E Grand Blvd. I can't recall its name. There was a very nice bowling alley ( now called bowling center) right downtown, too.
Sorry AIW for moving your bowling pix across the river.

Danny

Post Number: 4717
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know about Thunderbird Lanes on Allen Rd. Near Outer Drive in Allen Park? Very big synthetic lanes with disco lights at the next alley. It has collective trophies and photos from various pro bowlers from the PBA starting from the 1940s to the 70s and various tournaments from all over the U.S.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock....
.....You're thinking of the Great Lakes Lanes on Woodward, across from Demery's, aren't you? Classy house......

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1029
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How retro and how cool.

The_rock

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are, Douglasm GL Lanes--a cut above many others. I will have to ask my Sr. law partner if he recalls the name of the place right downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.