Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Downtown cleaning « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 859
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Fresh and So Clean

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/clean54.aspx

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1740
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alok Sharma, 26, sees a big difference in downtown since the cleanups started. The computer programmer lives in the renovated Kales Building on Grand Circus Park. He pointed out how the trash and general refuse that once clogged landscaping or floated through the streets is largely gone. Downtown is now "clean by anyone's standards," Sharma says.

Well...well...I never knew how to spell Alok.

The_fly
Username: The_fly

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 69.214.191.127
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the article is a bunch of crap. This is not a new initative; it has been in place for 5 years. This year it's a larger crew, new uniforms, new trucks with power washing units and new street sweeping units. This year it is run by Penske with DDP faciliting it. This year the crew is provided by Goodwill as in the past the crew was from Preferred Building Services. But in my opinion it is not better; NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

This crew and its leaders do not cover the Financial District as they have in years past. I could go outside for a smoke at any time of the day and see at least one person with a broom and dustpan. Now I am lucky if I see one a week. Oh yeah, and when I do see someone near my corner (Griswold & Congress) it is not one person but 3 or 4 all walking together. Now tell me why the fuck 4 people need to walk together all with brooms and dustpans. One person is sufficent. Maybe if they weren't all buddied up they would be able to cover more ground. The sidewalks on my corner are not cleaner because of Clean Detroit; they are clean because of the buildings cleaning crews getting outside and doing it themselves. Oh but when Clean Detroit does get out and do power washing it is at 9am in front of Starbucks while people are trying to get coffee and get to work. WTF Why aren't they doing this when they start in the morning or in the evening after business hours. That is if they are truly starting at 4am and working into the evening as the article says. I can't believe that the buildings in the Financial District paid a minimum of $3,000 for this service and see it being done to medicore standards compaired to years past. This is a joke this year.

Lets talk about graffitti on electrical boxes around downtown. In the past two weeks I have driven all streets within the Clean Detroit district and approx. 75% of these boxes have been tagged. When I placed a call to Clean Detroit I was told by an inside source that they do not have any plans for painting. What a joke; last year and the three years previously the supervisor was there first thing in the morning painting everything that had been tagged. I never saw an electrical box go more than 3 days without being painted and now it has been weeks.

Clean Detroit and DDP need to get over themselves. They are not doing better this year. It's a front DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so you would rather settle for Penske and the city to have not made the old plan grander and left it looking dirty down there? that's what your saying right?

Yes there are other things which need work, BUT there is no cure all or anything, but I am sure they would be happy for you to paint over the tagged boxes and pitch in..

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2387
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the_fly - bitch, bitch, bitch...I hope when you are outside smoking you aren't flicking your butts on the street?

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 24.21.198.33
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always found it ironic that ashtrays outside the doors of buildings started disappearing right around the same time smoking inside buildings started to become outlawed.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they moved em around back by the dumpsters...

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3129
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the fly broke DYes forum rule #1: Any article about something positive in Detroit is never wrong, misleading or poorly written and must never be criticized. (Rule #2 is related: Any article about Detroit's negatives is automatically null and void, pointless and racist unless either or both of the following phrases appear in the lead paragraph: "...on par with every other large city..." or "...no worse than the suburbs..."

Fly, you've got to get with the program. It doesn't matter whether or not the cleaning program is more or less thorough this year.

It has Roger Penske leading it!!!! Don't you see what that means??? If it's not obvious to you, you must be a suburban Detroit hater.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6511
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Fly!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2059
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked downtown for a few years and have lived down there for almost two years and have never seen anyone picking up trash and cleaning the sidewalks until Penske raised funds to put this team together. The fly sounds like a bitter because these are not unionized city workers. I could careless about the articles or the DY rules my problem is the fly is full of shit. Downtown is cleaner then it has been in years.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also worked downtown, and the only cleaning staff I ever saw were the ones employed by Comerica Tower, and of course they don't stray off the property.

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 71.65.18.109
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds to me like what the fly is talking about is the staff in his building that would go out and clean the sidewalk in front of his building. Preferred Building Services does not sound like a company the CoD would have clean the entire CBD. It sounds like a company a building's owner would hire to clean the exterior of it's building.

The Clean Downtown group is new and didn't exist in the past.

The_fly

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 70.229.230.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well let's see so much to respond to

Viziondetroit, Mcpd1300, ilovedetroit, merchantgander: Detroit Downtown Inc has had a voluntary BID program for the past 5 years including this year. The past years the workers wore blue shirts, were employed by preferred building services, were not city employees or unionized workers. They cleaned all of the Central Business District including power washing. Property Owners in the district have contributed to this now for years. What is disturbing to me is that now that a "big name" is involved it is so good and things are so clean. I don't think they are.

Also my cigarrettes find themselves into the ashtrays.

ItsJeff: Hi yourself-when are we gonna get together? Miss ya.

HamtramckSteve: I get the rules but I don't always agree with them. In this particular case I see the money the owners of my building are spending on this service (just as in years past. Again this is not a new thing) and it just is not as good. Detroit Downtown, Inc along with Preferred Building Services did a much better job, in my opinion. Furthermore, the areas that were suppose to be clean were. The area has expanded this year which is a great thing but the service has suffered as a result of that.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 802
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I e-mailed Clean Downtown yesterday afternoon asking if they would tend to the graffitti on the Grand Circus Garage entrance ramp at the north end of Washington Boulevard.

Just this afternoon a representative called my cell phone and told me that they appreciated my comments and would be starting on the graffitti removal next week. They said they were waiting for the temperature to come down a little more.

I'm certainly impressed and not just because they called. I've noticed all of Downtown is clean. Now if we could just broaden it!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6226
Posted From: 70.200.152.149
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were all over Eastern Market today...even though two street cleaners run at least twice a week down here.

They should get them brighter shirts for the warm weather, though, those maroon ones MUST get hot quickly.

I didn't see any of 'em actually cleaning, but they might've just gotten off their shuttle vans/trucks. It was actually the trucks that first caught my attention...great skyline graphic and logo. Looks cool.

I was too busy trying to get down to Zeff's for a late breakfast to notice much beyond my nose...glad to see them in my 'hood, though.

Hope they got to that parking lot on the SE corner of the Fire Department Maintenance Facility.

It would be great to have one less thing to complain about...reluctant griper that I am.

The_fly

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 70.229.230.70
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon,

I don't think the crew you saw was Clean Detroit. Clean Detroit's boundaries don't extend to Eastern Market and their uniforms are green.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2063
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was clean Detroit because their trucks were there on Monday. I was surprised to see them because I didn't think their boundaries extended to EM.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1105
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have talked about extending their boundaries to the river, and the other 3 sides bounded by the freeways.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.