Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Strict Bus Policies Inhumane?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6214
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on a mid-afternoon jog to the river, and after paying homage to the Underground Railroad, praying for a return to 'good' and unity for the unions, asking for some of Joe Louis' strength for the city, and finally invoking the Spirit of Detroit to once again have us enjoy a full measure of liberty (or freedom, depending upon your bible translation of the verse printed behind the statue)...I jogged up the block past 1001 Woodward and saw a woman simply asking, then begging for the bus driver to open the door to let her in...while it was already stopped at the light.

She was obviously pretty exhausted from the heat...and could barely put up a fight.

But the driver of the bus (either 1402 or 1802, I'm a wee foggy from heat exhaustion) wouldn't let her in...and just looked down at this woman for the entire duration of the stoplight.

I couldn't believe it.

Hottest day of the fucking year so far, and for once in all eternity a bus driver was so interested in policy or her schedule as to not simply open the doors and let this poor woman in for her ride.

To me, that is inhumane and inexcusible.

Don't give me the excuse that she had to keep on schedule, because it is plainly obvious that the schedule is not their highest priority.

If it were, Sport wouldn't spend so much time meeting people at bus stops...or giving up and taking cabs.

Seriously though, why can't they bend policy on the worst weather days of the year--both cold and hot?!

I shook a handful of my genitals at her in protest. From the w-i-d-e grin she gave me, that might NOT have been the message I was trying to send...she might've taken it as an encouragement for her cruel behavior.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4713
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the intense heat can make a human flarred up its ignorance. Did this woman was at the bus stop? Did this bus driver who had to go through this policy to make sure everyone have payed their FARE share for a ride. Or did this bus driver who is on the clock wants to hurry up and make her last schueduled run for the heat is bothering it? More young folks are getting ignorant everyday. That's why we as Christians step up to the world and tell them REPENT! OR GO TO HELL for you're feeling the Hell fire buring through you And its not's God's natural sunlit heat that's bothering you.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 799
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dog wars don't need flat help for the light brown angle. GO! Speak in water for the day to come. My mom is the finest mouse-taker on a Sunday-stretch, so the fiends from the oven can't read. Whether you're a doll or broke or plywood-soaked resin, the plate o' broccolli can't warrant TRIED TREATMENT. That's what's bothering taken!!!!!!!!!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELP! The heat is making my computer show random words that make no sense at all.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2026
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was the missing the daily meds thread.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2056
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon don't work so hard at trying to get posted in the Hotfudge overshare post du jour. Just let it happen naturally.

(Message edited by Merchantgander on August 01, 2006)

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 827
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the fukk happened did they install computer terminals in Eloise!?

Livedog2

Gannon

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, thought you said I couldn't help it.

This is just my dear diary for the day...injustice in the extreme heat, that's all.

Ndavies,

I was OUT running AS my daily meds...

Cheers!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the folks I saw running at 6:30 am this morn were nutty since it was hot and humid then. Gannon I can't believe you went running at mid day. I hope you and the exhausted lady had some cool beverages handy.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who to side with on this post - the rule following bus driver or the poor, sweaty bus-rider-not-to-be.

The image of Gannon (whose appearance is a mystery to me) grabbing some crotch is making me side with the driver.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART will NOT shut down if the August 8, 2006 property tax renewal is defeated.

It is against the law to pass a local tax that replaces state funding. It is against our rights as clearly defined by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and in my website with funding statistics provided and referenced.

I filed an official complaint against the Livonia Opt Out as our state is required by law to leave the 285 bus route intact. SMART cannnot by law cut up bus routes as the state is required by law to pay for them.

Livonia pays for SMART at the gas pumps and it is our right to fight for this money.

I will go on television and tell everyone that every SMART bus driver will have a job even if the tax fails in all three counties.

Please support my efforts or publicly challenge me, if you can.

http://savethefueltax.org

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 418
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasn't this Trainman thing gone far enough?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

........and some wonder why people prefer their cars to mass transit.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were there other passengers on the bus? There are a ton of legitimate reasons why the driver may have refused to pick up the would be passenger. The driver could have been heading back to the yard, the bus could have been having mechanical or safety related issues, could have actually been one of the mechanics on a test run, could have been a known troublemaker (the would be passenger), etc, etc, etc. Things are not always as they seem. Then again they might have just been a heartless prick.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driver should have let her on, period. She would have paid full fare. The bus was stopped anyway. Don't see what the issue would have been...it's just being kind to another person to open the darn door and let the exhausted woman take a seat. I think they call it humanity.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on August 01, 2006)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 12.75.43.121
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience, it is rare for bus drivers to let people in if they're not standing at a bus stop. Or if you're downtown, you have to be at the right bus stop. So what happened today was not anything out of the ordinary. As for the weather, most bus drivers really don't care if it's very hot (or cold, or rainy, or dark) outside.

Gannon

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny5,

There were other people on the bus. Comfortable in their a/c'd seats.

I thought about the problem passenger thing, since these drivers run the same routes...they probably remember the troublemakers simply for self-preservation.

Didn't think about the service thing...I think they'd NOT have a route id shining if that were the case.

This was bus number 1402 or 1802...my memory is foggy after suffering some minor heat exhaustion yesterday afternoon.

I'm doing my running MUCH earlier today...say, like right when I post this, if I can find my shorts.

Don't want to give anyone any more disturbing visuals! Heh.

I got carried away in the heat of the moment yesterday...egged on by a fellow walking beside me as I paused to observe this situation.

Neither of us could believe it.

After a VERY short moment, it simply became performance art.

I felt very good about myself until I realized that was the first time I'd EVER shaken my package at anyone publicly, let alone towards an undeserving stranger...and if I've done it privately, I surely don't remember.

The heat makes one do amazing things...

Gannon

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

How do you DO that??!!

Cheers!

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 217.232.113.48
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still not clear if at a Busstop or out in traffic. Insurance- and safety reasons probably say a clear "no" when it comes to opening doors outside of designated bus-stops. Though some drivers will use common sense and weigh each circumstances independantly- many opt for safety and regulations and don´t bend. Even if at light- the "would-be" passenger would have to step out into the street and if anything - however minor - were to happen- better believe there would be a big-ass lawsuit. And System/Detroit/driver would have been up the "proverbial creek".

Now, I don´t know who Gannon is- but always one to enjoy a "shaking package" Pictures anyone?!

Gannon

Post Number: 6224
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bus was directly at the curb, waiting for the stoplight to change.

Probably 1/2 to 1 block north of the regular stop.

Woman looked like she wouldn't make it another block, let alone be able to sit in the sun for whatever duration of time it would take for the next bus to come along.

She was suffering, THAT'S why it was such an issue to me.

I saw a quick solution that was NOT opened up for her...the door.

Again, just MY and my fellow sidewalk dweller's perceptions, could be much more to the story, as Johnny5 and others have posted above.

If you really want a visual, search out the last Freep Marathon thread, Meliss took a pretty good shot of me. Just imagine it without the gold windbreaker, I think I was wearing the same shorts and shirt...and same silly grin.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 65.95.58.32
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it may seen rude that she did not let the lady on, it may have to do with insurance and claims.

Bus drivers who let passengers on at places other then designated stops are held responsible if that person trips, falls down, or something.

Some bus drivers do it anyway and take the chance. But others really follow that rule.

Same with baby carriages. Bus drivers are responsible if they help someone and that carriage falls or something. So many refuse to help a lady get on board with a carriage. While others take the chance and do it anyway.

Atleast those are the laws in Toronto.

Trainman

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Department of Transportation closed the doors on over a thousand bus riders on November 8, 2005 by abolishing the state fuel tax to pay for public bus service.

Is there one single person in this forum who will stand up and fight by voting NO next tuesday to reject the SMART rennewal?

It will say right on your ballot that the state will not pay. It says it in the newspaper that the state won't pay. SMART officials even say it themselves and they won't fight the large billion dollar freeways.

Read the ballot at the voting booth and you will see for yourself that your property tax dollars REPLACE state money.

(Message edited by Trainman on August 05, 2006)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4723
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

You still MISUNDERSTOOD the facts of public transit renewal.

You quote that:

The Michigan Department of Transportation closed the doors on over a thousand bus riders on November 8, 2006 by abolishing the state fuel tax to pay for public bus service.

WHAT! NOVEMBER 8 2006, THAT'S IN THE FUTURE. ARE YOU WRITING ABOUT AFTER THE STATE FUEL TAX WAS CUT OFF FROM ALL PUBLIC TRANSIT IN MICHIGAN IN 2005 OR 2006? YOU'RE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF AND YOU SO-CALLED CAMPAIGN TO DESTROY SMART BUS SYSTEM. ONCE AGAIN THE SMART BUS MILLAGE RENEWAL CALLS FOR A SLIGHT DECREASE OF FROM 0.60 MILLS TO 0.59 MILLS OF EXAMPLE, OF ANY HOMEOWNER IN WAYNE, OAKLAND AND MACOMB COUNTIES BOUGHT A $200,000 HOME. THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY ONLY $59.00 A YEAR. IT'S AFFORDABLE THAN PAYING A AVERAGE OF $700.00 A MONTH TO GAS UP YOUR CAR. THERE WOULD BE NO INCREASE OF MILLAGE TAX ON SMART. AND THE MILLAGE GRANTS WILL GO TO WAYNE, OAKLAND AND MACOMB COUNTY TRANSIT AUTHORITIES BEFORE IT GOES TO SMART. LOTS OF FOLKS WHO RIDE SMART WILL BE ABLE TO VOTE " FOR HEAVEN SAKES, YES" FOR THEY WANT TO GET TO WORK, VISIT THEIR FRIENDS AND DO THEIR ERRANDS. ESPECIALLY THE SENIORS AND DISABLED.

Is there one single person in this forum who will stand up and fight by voting NO next tuesday to reject the SMART rennewal?

RARELY, BUT HELL NO!!! SO FOR OVER 80% OF THE PEOPLE DEPENDED ON THE SMART BUS SYSTEM AND OUT OF 80% MY PREJECTION IS THE SMART BUS MILLAGE WILL PASS BETWIXT 65 TO 85% IN ALL THE TRI-COUNTIES.

It will say right on your ballot that the sate will not pay. It says it in the newspaper that the state won't pay. SMART officials even say it themselves and they won't fight the large billion dollar freeways.

OH TRAINMAN! YOU HAVE BEEN READING OF WHAT NEWSPAPER MEDIA IS TRYING TO TELL YOU. A SUDDEN SO-CALLED FREEWAY ESPANSION WILL NOT HAPPEN. IT HAD TO GET THROUGH TO THE BUREAUCRATS IN THE MICHIGAN LEGISLATURE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN IN WHICH THE BUREAUCRATS WILL NOT MAKE THE PROPOSED FREEWAY EXPANSION RIGHT AWAY. QUIT LISTEN AND STOP DEPENDING ON WHAT THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO TELL YOU. ALL AMERICAN AND NATIONAL MEDIA A TOTALLY BIASED THEY PUT LIES FIRST AND SPINKLE IT WITH THE TRUTH. SO NEXT WHEN YOU READ THE NEWS AND GET THE INFO FROM THE INTERNET. DON'T TRUST THE MEDIA UNTIL YOU SEE THE PICTURES AND PEOPLE CONFESSING THE TRUTH.

Read the ballot at the voting booth and you will see for yourself that your property tax dollars REPLACE state money.

I READ THE BALLOT EARLIER, TRAINMAN! IT ONLY SAYS A DEACREASE FROM 0.60 MILLS TO 0.59 MILLS. NOW THAT'S A TAX RELIEF!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, its no use, trainman cannot be taught anything. It seems he has a one track mind. He is starting to belive in his own press.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman are you pro-choice? Karl was wondering!

Trainman

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

The fact that I lost my bus service is physical evidence that you can not dispute that the state has indeed abolished the fuel tax. It is in writing and you will support this discrimination if you support the SMART tax.

I do not care if I make a fool of myself because I know the facta and it's a fact that Michigan will join 30 other states that rely on local and regional taxes to pay the operating costs of mass transit. SEMCOG rejects mutlple tax mechanisms for bus service and is trying very hard to raise money for large freeways and high speed rail. SEMCOG is not concerned about high passenger costs and openly rejects industry support from the company I work and other places. In fact, there is a company that wants to buy SMART and I'm sure by privatizing both DDOT and SMART that we will get better service.

Danny, the key is to lower costs to attract more jobs. Not raising costs by milking the taxpayers like a bunch of cows to pay for lazy regional transit planners who obviously do not care.

Danny, I'm sure you will get your wish by the passage of the SMART tax but what will YOU do to make it work?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.79.115.61
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell is wrong with this trainman guy? Talk about obsession!
And what's with the drivel from Danny and Eric_c?

Trainman

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary.

What's wrong with you?

Are you afraid of competition?

Are you afraid of those who can make mass transit work?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.