Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Will DPS teachers go on strike this fall? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2961
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope not but I am hearing rumors

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2061
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they will strike because they deserve big increase because they are doing an amazing job educating DPS students.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less state money....less students....less money for teachers. I see a strike as almost certain, but it should help out the local charter schools.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a DPS teacher, I don't want to strike. Many of us don't. However, we worked a week for free last year (would any of you work for free for a week?). The district just spent $500,000 on advertising when that money could be better spent in the classrooms (better classrooms=more students). Class sizes for many topped 60 last year. Teachers loaned the district money. How many of you would loan your employer money and then loan more money the next year (as they are asking us to do) when they haven't paid back what they borrowed before? DPS is in a bind. We realize that.

We really don't want a strike (most of us) but like I said in a previous thread, if teachers strike there are no kids in classes so we can't even cross the picket lines. We have to do what the union calls for. Is it a great union? Hell no! Those of us who do go to work to actually teach, are disappointed in a strike. Keep in mind, if we strike, we have to extend the school year into the summer (which is unbearable in the heat with no air). If there is a strike, it won't be long. Drive by any DPS parking lot and there are Jaguars, Navigators, Mercedes...teachers can't afford to strike for long, they won't be able to pay for their lifestyle. BTW, I drive a 1995 Ford Explorer that was given to me. I'm broke (literally), and can't afford to strike. We don't get paid during a strike...besides, I'm ready to get back in the classroom.

Will we strike? Probably. Do we want to strike? Not really.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 70.229.255.89
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teachers unfortunately are placed in a lose-lose situation. And I don't know that they have the right leadership for the times. I certainly hope so. Financial concessions will certainly hurt families and the the District, as more and more teachers will opt out of the city for better paying jobs elsewhere. On the other hand, a strike will cause irreparable harm, as more and more students will desert the system to attend charters, causing even more lay-offs due to low enrollment.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For every student that leaves DPS that is approximately $9,700 walking out the door. Do a better job keeping the students and there will be more money for the teachers.

The advertising money is being used to try and stop the 9,000 to 10,000 students that leave DPS every year. If DPS can get more then 52 student to not leave the advertising dollar has done their job.

Detroitteachers if there is no money what is management supposed to do. Please list the areas that money can be saved. There is only so much money to go around. Approximately 92 mil is leaving DPS each year because of student departures but I understand how the 500,000 on advertising is killing the school system. What does that pay for maybe 6 more teachers.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 373
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander,
If two students are sent home for beating the shit out of each other, then the kid's parents are called to the school for a conference and the parents beat the shit out of each other, what is the school supposed to do with your little darlings? Do a better job raising your kids at home so we have something to work with when they show up at my building at 8:00 in the morning.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed that doesn’t answer my question of where does the money come from? Don't make excuses just answer the question.

I know parents play an important role but that doesn't solve the money issue. Based on your response I think your pay should be cut in half since teachers play no role in shaping their students lives. It is all about the parents. These same parents you are talking about are the ones sending their kids to Detroit charter schools to be educated.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander,
I was just commenting on your first paragraph. The parents blame the teachers and the teachers blame the parents. At my high school ten years ago we had two special ed classrooms, today about 70% of the students are special ed.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm support staff. I haven't had a pay raise in four years and last year I took a 10% pay cut. Might as well take away another 50%.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed never said the situation doesn't suck but unfortunately when there is no money there is no money.

I have no issues with folks wanting to make more money but if teachers want raises how many of their fellow co-workers are they willing to sacrifice to get it.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.246.52.24
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The schools are bearing the brunt of what is happening in the city in general. With the mass exodus we are left with the cream and not the froth that inevitably rises to the top. With the exception of a very few schools in Detroit there aren't a lot of choices for most parents. Some parents can afford to send their to private schools or have found schools within the system that are decent. We tried one of the better DPS public schools last year and unfortunately were extremmely disappointed. While we thought this school would be different because of its reputation it seems that instead it is a victim of being part of a damaged system.
I wasn't aware until recently that teachers automatically get raises simply based on time on the job and/or education. I don't understand why there isn't any type of performance evaluation attached to salary increases. This is how it's done outside of academia. The union was asking for a specific increase for well qualified teachers but again their qualifications have absolutely nothing to do with 'how' they perform their job but rather how long they have been
performing it and their level of education. I think this is a glaring mistake and is a clear indication of why some teachers don't perform to the level they should. If my salary and promotions were based on nothing more than me showing up for work 9 months out of 12 I might do the very least that is asked of me too.
My point being - the teachers aren't made to perform at certain levels and receive promotions and salary increases that aren't tied to anything but time passing. This makes for a system without any accountability and a complete lack of concern for the job being done. This applies to any type of work.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is illegal for members of the Detroit teacher's union to strike. I love it when teachers blame "the school system" for not getting a raise, large class sizes, etc.. What they completely fail to realize is that they ARE the school system.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not blaming the school system. I'm blaming those that mismanaged money in the past. Detroit "lost" 40 million dollars when the state took over. Where is that money? No one can say.

I don't want MORE pay, I just want what I am SUPPOSED to be paid. I'm all for performance based raises. My students achieve the highest in the school on the MEAP.

The money spent on advertising COULD have been put to use IN the CLASS. If we have better classrooms, then parents would be more apt to keep their kids in DPS. The advertising is a lie. They tout wonderful concepts that are not the reality. When parents find out that they aren't getting what was promised in the ads, then the kids leave.

Gamblingman, I beg to differ. Teachers aren't the school system. The parents and the kids are the school system. Parents need to step up and demand a better education for their kids. They also need to send their kids to school with supplies, dressed appropriately, and with social skills needed to sit in class, not fight, and monitor their homework. If I had THAT type of support, I could deal with 60 kids in a room per hour. I don't get that, therefore, keeping 60 kids in line with limited space is very hard. If I had enough seats, I could deal with 60 kids in my room at once. I don't have the seating. Is that MY fault?? Nope. I bring in chairs from home. Should I HAVE to do that? Nope. It's the school district's JOB to make sure that I have adequate seating in my room. How am I to blame for the ills that are DPS?

Perhaps I am one of the few that go to work and actually teach. There are some fine teachers in DPS. I continually go to school to learn more about teaching, to master my craft. Does that mean I deserve a raise? No. Does it mean that I expect something? No. BUT...teachers hired after 1997 must complete certain semester hours in classes in order to keep our certification. Do I have to pay for those expensive classes? Yes. Do I have a family to support? Yes. Can I do that without even basic cost of living increases AND with a week of working for free? Not really. Am I lucky to have a job in my field? Certainly.

I'm not asking for anything more than what I should be getting. Since I buy supplies out of pocket, provide bus fare, purchase lunches etc. for kids who don't have, I think that people should be a little less critical and much more aware. Nowhere outside of academia are employees asked to pull expenses out of pocket. It is expected of teachers. We do so gladly but we'd like at least a cost of living increase.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do teachers still get fined $$$ daily for striking during the school year?

I remember that was the case back when I was in school

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DT, I genuinely hope you don't have to go on strike. At best, it's very very difficult. But if it happens, expect the worst from this forum.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They fine the Union, not individual teachers. I really don't want to strike (as I've said before). I'm about the kids (however, I'd still like my just pay). With my credentials, I could go to another district. I WANT to stay in Detroit because that is where kids need good teachers. Many teachers (not just students) leave DPS when teachers go on strike.

Let it be known now, I am NOT in favor of a strike and will be at Cobo to vote for NO strike (no matter what deal they give us). I don't deserve any flack from this forum on a personal level. I've been saying since I joined this forum that I don't approve of striking. Unfortunately, in my job, majority rules and we strike whether we want to cross picket lines or not.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DT,
You seem to one of the small group of conscientous teachers who are there for the kids. I have a sister who returned to the District 5 years ago after being in the corporate sector for 20 years. She also has had to purchase virtually everything in her classroom and goes above and beyond anything that DPS asks of her. These are the teachers that should be rewarded with raises, bonuses, etc. Like I said if job performance was tied to these monetary increases we may see more teachers like you and my sister who take pride in their work and perform at a high level. Unfortunately DPS doesn't have the money to do this and I agree with you - the advertising money could have been used for a lot of other things that are needed.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kip: Thanks. Tell your sister to attend the Cobo Union rally and to vote for NO strike!! She must have her union card with her and ID to get in.

Glad someone else out there believes all of the things we teachers do for the sake of our kids. Not all teachers, but there are a few of us left that do care. Tell your sister to hang in there. The kids need us.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4722
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Detroitteacher!

If the DPS teachers want a strick to show their solidarity movement then go right ahead. They demand more class sizes, a better payroll dept. new books, not those stone age hard copies textbooks. and better cleaner classrooms so the students can learn better and keep them away from the EVIL charter schools.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strike from what? Not teaching kids?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to clean my classroom myself. Our building has ONE custodian and he concentrates on the halls and keeping the bathrooms semi clean. No way he can clean all the classrooms, too. Plus, he's in charge of keeping the outside of the building kept semi clean. I'd love better textbooks (and more of them), seats in my class for all the kids, smaller class sizes, etc.

However, I don't think striking is the answer. I believe that if PARENTS held a mass rally downtown at the DPS Welcome Center then maybe things might get done. ALL parents would have to participate and it would have to go on for quite some time.

I don't believe in hurting the kids to get what we want. I'd love to have my pay adjusted to where it is supposed to be and not have to lend my employer money to bail them out of trouble. I'd love to have supplies. I'd love to have working phones and computers. I'd love to have a lot. On the other hand, I'm sure my students would love to come back to school on time and that is what counts. If we strike and have to go into the summer months (last time we were in school until July) could hinder some kids from being accepted to college in a timely manner. If the strike is long enough, it could stop kids from going to college in the fall and they would have to wait until winter term. THAT isn't fair to my kids.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.