Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Meijer in Detroit?????? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that there's a possibility of a Meijer on St. Jean & E. Jefferson. Anybody sniffed this out yet????

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7661
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how what kind of impact it would have on Farner Jack.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6534
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've been trying to market that site for big box retail for years. Home Depot had first dibs, then took a pass because too many homes in the area were rentals.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rentals should not be the problem any longer with Jefferson Village's development & Morgan Estates progress. A Home Depot would be friggin great tho!! I hate havin to go to the Little Mack location (Eastland sux!)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1982
Posted From: 71.144.117.136
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should go over the decrepit Continental plant nearby.

I would be very suprised if the Meijer Corp. invested in Detroit.

I don't know if it was too many rentals or too much emptiness in the area which drove Home Depot away. I'm not usually the most negative guy, but those far eastside neighborhood are among the most abandoned in the city. Sure there is some new development, and Jefferson is a major commuter route close to the GPs, but marketing this location to national chains is a major pain.

I've always had good luck with the Eastland H. Depot and Lowe's.

(Message edited by mackinaw on August 03, 2006)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 660
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for Home Depot for 2 years and I would say about 70-80 of our business @ the 7 and Meyers store was from contractors working on rentals. That is big business and not an excuse to not have one there... There were other reasons that deal fell through.

Meijer should open up in the city to rival Farmer Jack. FJ should not be the wheel when it comes to big box grocery in the city. Meijer offers way more. I don't care who it is, but we need some major corps that have experience running stores in inner-city areas to come in and run shit.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 548
Posted From: 4.229.60.75
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything's possible, but it would definitely be a step into the unknown for Meijer to build a store in the hood. Big box retailers like Meijer focus heavily on the number of "rooftops" within a certain radius as well as the household income under those "rooftops." Historically, these factors have eliminated most Detroit locations as potential big box sites. Management of Meijer is West Michigan based and it is unlikely that they harbor any altruistic sentiment to pioneer their business model into a Detroit neighborhood. But you never know.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10419
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be awesome! Meijer is my favorite store by far, pisses me off I gotta leave the city to find one. Closest one though is just 12 minutes away off I75, can get there about as quick or quicker than the Farmer Jack on Jefferson. I love big box retail...just not in the middle of a downtown area or middle of a neighborhood. Jefferson would be perfect, as it's been ruined already by strip malls and big box, may as well offer up big box retail that people want.

Meijer would likely drive Farmer Jack outta business, which would be somewhat of a shame considering their investment and time they've been in the city.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 774
Posted From: 69.215.244.18
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Meijer to, their produce is execellent and they have EVERYTHINg else that I can stop going to expensive A** CVS for.

This would be great.

later - naturalsister

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1375
Posted From: 66.2.148.185
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer at 12 and Mound is opening next week, not sure if it is the 6th or 8th.

It looks like they are slowly migrating east and south.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 03, 2006)

Jt1

Post Number: 7663
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather sad that we are in a situation where people are salivating over rumor of a Meijer.

One would be nice to have at the location but sad it has come to this.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 422
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12 and Mound seems really close to the one they already have at 13 between Dequindre and John R. But that one is always packed, so maybe that's why.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 954
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be shocked to see Meijer in that location.

Jt1

Post Number: 7667
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pulling for a Cheesecake factory and House of Blues complex.

Bobj

Post Number: 955
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as part of the Quicken Loans HQ??

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer is just trying to beat Walmart to the punch.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just the Home Depot on 7&Meyers and I have to say the service there is horrible,they only had 3 cashiers(1 was working in the tools department) and the lines were ridiculous and the self serve checkout they have isn't any better,alot of people dont even know how ring themselves up.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.40.226.4
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,
I agree with you on this issue. I lived in grand rapids for 9 years and even thought that is were they are based, they didn't have a store in Grand Rapids city limits, the second largest city in the state. I doubt they would open a store in Detroit.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After working at the Home Depot your speaking of superduperman... people can't even read the self check out screens and would and they wait in the regular lines and mess it up for the ther customers who cant take the lumber carts and all the other stuff thru the self check outs.

3 cashiers and 4 self check out lanes is enough at that store when the cashiers feel like working and people read the damn screens.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4067
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Meijer, not too long ago, say something to the extent that they weren't looking at Detroit proper for their future expansion plans? I seem to remember them pretty forcefully going on record when asked the question about their future expansions in Michigan.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4174
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is special. Home Depot Literacy Training Station in aisle 10, just past the appliances.
What does Grand Rapids know from the Eastside of Detroit? Send in somebody from Denby or Pershing.

jjaba, buying my pewter cabinet handles in aisle 7.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer Sucks!! Detroit does not need a fricken Meijer. This monstrosity would be a waist of building and an eye sore. Meijer should go away. I would rather see a smaller chain go in the city. What would really be cool (but will never happen) is to have small produce and fruits stands on every corner like you see in New York, Chicago and most of Europe. What draws people is a sense of community and that is what this kind of shopping creates.

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treez, where on Jefferson and St. Jean are you referring to? The only corner large enough is the site of the closed-up 5th (I' probably way off) precinct.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1681
Posted From: 4.229.126.209
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mani, I was worried I thought yor mind may have been bankrupt of silly thoughts but you come thru here!
Meijer is a small company relatively speaking.People actually shop there because it is cheap i.e. it costs less than most other places.And believe it or not Meijer mechandise is comparable in quality for the most part.

You may think one does not belong in Detroit.But unless you live in the area where it might go I don't see how it concerns you.

Mani

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...the overweight Lover's in the House!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4068
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer is easily the best of the "big box" stores, IMO. If you're not a fan of big boxes it's still easy to see it's the lesser of the evils. IMO, in terms of service, products, store layout, employee treatment...it runs circles around WalMart. WalMart's motto "Always low prices, always" doesn't impress me a bit when you consider at what lengths (i.e. skirting the law, treating their employees like crap...) they go to to keep those prices low.

Mani

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is exactly how I see Meijer, lesser of the evils. Walmart is the ultimate evil! Detroit has a lot of character, it is still a unique city and I would hate to see such an ugly building like Meijer come in. Plus how long before Meijer goes under and then you have another big and ugly abandoned building. That is about all I can say on the topic.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jjaba, those handles would be in aisle 10 across from the door locks lol

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think your view is a bit more extreme than my own. I don't think you see ANY place for Big Boxes in American society. While I personally don't like them and avoid them like the plague, whenever I can, I'm also for freedom of choice and movement. There are parts of Detroit (suburban parts) where Big Boxes could work, have worked, and are working, and if that's what those particular neighborhoods want, more power to them.

This self-righteous indignation towards Big Boxes is just as ridiculous as those extremists in the suburbs that do nothing but deride and mock city living. I don't believe the authoritarian ideology on either side be it conservative suburbs that won't allow density anywhere in their city limits when they often have places for such development, or largely liberal central cities not allowing Big Boxes anyhere within their cities when there are obviously suburban parts of those cities.

It's a war of hearts and minds, and the authoritarian legislation on both sides does little good, here. It's about convincing people of your ideas not forcing them to agree with you.

I'm a liberal as they come, but I personally growing tired of the authoritarian personalities on both sides of the urban/suburban debate that resembles warfare more often than it does debate, sometimes.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 03, 2006)

Mani

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a contradiction in the last thread? I am not familiar with the phrase Big Boxes, but if that is what Meijier and Walmart stores are called then my self-righteuos self finds these Big Box stores to be evil and should not be allowed anywhere...in the U S. But then we live in a capitolist society and of free speech. So I will continue to protest with my words.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Big Box is what these giant stores are called. BTW, I was simply calling you on your intolerant, self-righteous, authoritarian view.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1046
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer is a haven for poor white trash ... if you build it - they will come. My co-workers joke about Meijer serving squirrel, opossum and roadkill in the fresh meat case. The whole store reeks of rotten meat.

"Honey, I can't reach that box ..."

"I know, dear, I don't understand why the aisles are built 15' tall."

What a dump.

Mani

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also to mention, they sell fish and small animals which are severely neglected by Meijer staff which I find completely disturbing.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 24.247.222.121
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small animals? - please elaborate.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gerbils, hamsters...all the little critters they sell, though, I'm not sure if they are different than your average pet store in the care of their animals. Mani, if you really want to go there then animals shouldn't be sold as pets, at all. I think you're just picking.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 04, 2006)

Knocturnal

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 24.247.222.121
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, thanks for clarifying. all this talk is making me hungry.

Citylover

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria and Mani(old news now) are snobs.Most likely racist as well.It follows logic that they would be becaue they obviously practice classiscm in their tiny minds.

Mani give us the location of the Meijers that is neglecting the Pets it sells.

The fact is Meijers produce is equal to and in fact better than other grocery stores.........why? Large turnover stuff is always getting sold so new stuff i.e. fresh is brought out.

Clothing, I have compared Meijer to Fields, Target, Kohls........yep it is as good costs less too.

The meat.........same as the produce they sell a lot of it so you won't see old meat in a Meijer.

Mani

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, are you saying that it is ok for meijer to neglect which is abuse animals? i do not think it matters how small an animal is, abuse is abuse...neglect is neglect. i value the life of small critters as much as big critters. the fact that you would try to minimize any creatures life based on size is disturbing. i have no control over meijer selling animals but i can protest and that is why I am on this thread. your comments are not construcitve to this thread.

Citylover

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Mejer store is neglecting animals Mani? Location and city please.

Mani

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are such a rodent...citylover, would you stop following me around. watch out or will get my fly swatter!

Citylover

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an asshole.I am dissapointed that Lowell allows you to libel Meijer but perhaps he is away and will delete your crap when he returns.

Cmon shit brain what store and where.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4073
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mani, you obviously aren't reading posts (a classic characteristic of a troll, BTW). I said that I don't see Meijer being any worse than your average pet store in how they handle pets, and that if you really want to take that angle and follow this debate of the treatment of animals to its conclusion, pets shouldn't be sold, at all. You're just coming up with any excuses, now, for not liking Meijer.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 04, 2006)

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijers????
In Detroit????
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (cough cough)
excuse me.........where was I?
oh yeah......
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3135
Posted From: 69.215.255.221
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Meijer is a haven for poor white trash ..."

It'll be interesting to see the racial composition of the new Mound Road store. The Roseville location ain't exactly lily white for either worker or customer, and the new store is super convenient for Hamtramckans.

Bobj

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mani, have you ever met Karl over on the Non-Detroit Issues page??

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 69.246.10.215
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Meijer is a haven for poor white trash ..."

Ever been to the Southfield Meijer?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping at Meijer always makes you feel better about yourself.

"At least I don't look like THAT..."

K_solomon
Username: K_solomon

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 199.178.223.4
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Meijer is a haven for poor white trash ... if you build it - they will come. My co-workers joke about Meijer serving squirrel, opossum and roadkill in the fresh meat case. The whole store reeks of rotten meat.

Where do you live? Have you ever stepped foot inside a Miejer. The stores are immaculent and Corporate makes sure they are kept that way. I have been to several Meijers in serveral different cities and none of the stores were unkept. While in college, I worked for a Meijer, and not only do the employees keep the stores clean but there is a morning AND a night clean crew. The stores are very well run and have an exceptional business model.

quote:

I lived in grand rapids for 9 years and even thought that is were they are based, they didn't have a store in Grand Rapids city limits, the second largest city in the state.

Are you sure about that? I can think of at least 2: 28th St. and Alpine.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1051
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where do you live? Have you ever stepped foot inside a Miejer. The stores are immaculent and Corporate makes sure they are kept that way. I have been to several Meijers in serveral different cities and none of the stores were unkept

I never said anything about the stores being dirty ... Yes, I have been there - it's been a while. There are four Meijer stores in the South Bend, IN area and they are older stores (10+ years). We are spoiled here because regional supermaket chain Martin's is based here with spotless stores, a great bakery and a higher quality food selection.

K_solomon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I never said anything about the stores being dirty ...

I was responding to your earlier comment that the stores reeked of rotten meat, which implies that the stores are dirty.

quote:

We are spoiled here because regional supermaket chain Martin's is based here with spotless stores, a great bakery and a higher quality food selection.

The same could be said about Meijer.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, you like the store. I do not.

End of discussion.

Citylover

Post Number: 1685
Posted From: 4.229.123.25
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So because of that(not liking the store) you write libelous things about Meijers? That makes you a shithead that has been exposed.

Btw here in the Ann Arbor area we have Kroger,Busches,Hillers, Whole foods,and Meijers.With the exception of Whole foods and Hillers all have multiple locations.And Meijers is as busy as any and the quality is as good.

I am fairly certain that the cleanliness and freshness and quality of all the above mentioned matches those in (any) South Bend or anywhere else.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 170.232.128.10
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I lived in grand rapids for 9 years and even thought that is were they are based, they didn't have a store in Grand Rapids city limits, the second largest city in the state".

According to Meijer's website, there are 6 stores within the Grand Rapids city limits. Although 1 or 2 may have been recently built, a couple are among the oldest in the chain. Maybe you should get out a little more.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 172.144.57.245
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop with the "libelous" accusations. People are expressing opinions here. That's what the forum is for. The recent heatwave sure seems to have made people more testy, not only in this thread but in plenty of others. It is possible to disagree without insulting others.

Citylover

Post Number: 1686
Posted From: 4.229.123.25
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullshit.It is libelous when Mani and Hysteria write specific things about ..."Smells like rotten meat" (Hysteria) and ..."Neglects animals it sells"....(Mani).

I asked Mani to name the store.I gave him/her the opportunity to back up the statement.No response.Others asked Hysteria what Meijers he had been in.He admits to not being in one for quite some time.But never tells us what Meijers he was in that "reeked of rotten meat" the whole store(he claims) which would be damn near impossible given the size of Meijers typical store.

Hysteria admits to not being in a Meijer in avery long time yet you claim his remarks about rotten meat are not libelous or Mani's claim of neglecting small animals are not either?Bullshit.

K_solomon

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^-------Exactly.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3136
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the hell are you people arguing with somebody in fucking South Bend Indiana about whether Meijer should build a store in Detroit?

Mani

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, which Meijer store do you work at? Obviously not the one in Detroit.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3138
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Obviously not the one in Detroit."

And, why the hell is anyone arguing with this clueless sole, either?

When people lament the decline of the forum, they refer to threads like this one.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hysteria admits to not being in a Meijer in avery long time yet you claim his remarks about rotten meat are not libelous or Mani's claim of neglecting small animals are not either?Bullshit.

Enough, guys. My post referred to what I hear my co-workers say about the store. I admitted that I have not been there for a long time.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4178
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chattering classes don't like the big box mass marketers and in the case of Wal-Mart, with parking lots filled with RVs pulling dingys.

Big boxes provide us with cheap goods at reasonable prices. The rest of you can shop Wild Oats and Whole Paychecks for groceries.

Shopping at a big box grocery store saves your family $2,500 annually on groceries. That's real money for a lot of Americans. Europeans and Asians shop the same way. Just off the edge of their quaint villages are huge big box megastores where they load up on staples.

We don't all live like college kids in Ann Arbor, with the Hooka pipes and a latte in your hand.

Freeways, SUVs, Ford F-150 pickups, RVs, and Big Boxes. The American Way. Maybe you've got a better alternative, but your prices are too high.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I live, there are two local grocery stores, a Kroger, a Super Wal-Mart, and a Meijer. I usually buy about 95% of my groceries at Meijer. The selection and quality is outstanding, and I like the fact that Meijer is a Michigan based company. That is also the reason that I tend to buy most of my household supplies there, even though Wal-mart is usually slightly cheaper.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4181
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dnvn522, Proudly American, loyal to Michigan. Do you drive an SUV or a pick-up?
jjaba has placed a bet that you don't smoke a Hooka pipe either.

jjaba.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. I drive a Buick to and from work, but I do own an SUV for hauling the three kids around. ;)

And I can proudly say that I'm Hooka free. :-)

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also have a substantial organic department. You won't find that in a Wal-Mart (or most of the grocery stores we do have in the City).

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WalMart is going into the organic business, though. Still, I can't believe some of the comments I'm hearing. Every Meijer store here in Lansing is clean, and of the big boxes in the area, easily the best chain, hands down. The difference in quality and service between them and WalMart, at least in my market, is nearly night and day.

Just_for_the_halibut
Username: Just_for_the_halibut

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 216.14.77.163
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a city maybe half the population of metro Detroit. I live within the city limits and there are several Meijer stores here within the city. There is one close to me where people don't just come from the surrounding neighborhoods, but other areas of the city.

It is clean and nice, just like the Target that was built right by it. More than I can say for Walmart, which also has a reputation for leaving abandoned storefronts in inner cities. Before the Meijer was there, there was nothing but a rotted old auto plant. The place is constantly busy all hours of the day.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.61.167.97
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

67 replies to this statement as of now and all this attention is based on a rumour. Amazing! Did anyone bother to check on how and where this rumour started and what it's based on? I'm a vender that delivers to the FJ there and after running this "rumour" by the Mgr. of the store he claims it would be the best thing that could happen to this store as it averages losing $7,000 a month because the rent is so high as well as all the overhead costs. Anyone else heard of this "rumour"?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4183
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushay, you need to cut down the bread margains so Farmer Jack can make it on the Eastside.

Run a special for the people, eh.

jjaba, Westsider.

Bushay

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! My competition already did this years ago by stealing the private label business away from us. Although we now may very well be showing a profeit, a $63,000 a month rent evidently wont allow that for FJ.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer is local and union. Bring them in!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2829
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with CityLover's assessment of Meijer's [although being one of our longest forum members he should, ahem, know better than to let his discourse level dip to that of his antagonists.]

As for the level of Meijer's produce and meats, I know a number of food "snobs" who swear by Meijer's quality and price. Their description always starts with, "You wouldn't think a big box would have...but..."

Having just shopped there last night for produce, I can reaffirm that claim.

Another reason I like shopping at Meijer's is that they treat their workforce with dignity. I like shopping at Costco for the same reason. It makes a lot of difference in the total experience and in my personal choice of places. Meijer's is also a Michigan corporation, so that is a satisfying aspect too.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4720
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer's in Detroit. Well, they better have security. Robberies are common in the ghettos of Detroit.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T'will never happen! The closest shot would be on the old Notre Dame site, but then that is Harper Woods. Although my friend cuts Home Depot's lawn there and says people are constantly trying to steal the equipment. I've heard through the grapevine (long thi grapevine) that a Trader Joes could be coming to downtown, and a better rumor that one is coming to GP

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 68.40.227.8
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw drawings for a Trader Joe's in rochester....but nothing in Detroit/GP.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good about working conditions at the big boxes mentioned. Some stores have very old employees, evidence that they are happy employees with health care and good wages. Costco pays quite well and makes more profit per employee than Wal-Mart by a country mile. (excuse the pun.)
With unions, helath care and pensions are guaranteed.

A lotta chains own their stores and rent spaces to others. That way, they can remain there without rents and can generate some income off of banks, cleaners, shoe repairs, and franchise drive-ins.

jjaba, former employee of Wrigley's/Big Bear, worked at about 5 stores in the 1950s. They were owned by Bormans.(Starting wage, 60 cents/hr.)

Bushay

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh Paul Borman, took his money and got out when the going was good.

Your attention please. jjaba! clean up in isle 5....and bring a mop!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attention Bushay, somebody just knocked over a gallon of Clorox Bleach in isle 5, onto the breadman's hand truck full of hotdog buns.
Bring mop.

jjaba pushing the MUSAK button back on.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attention Bushay, ribs on sale for $2.99/lb.
You make the sauce and slaw.

jjaba, when's dinner?

Bushay

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, once again... just watch for the smoke signals and bring the napkins. I'm not known as the Rib King for nothing!!!! 3 smoke rings indicate the ribs are falling off the bone. Dont be late. :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4195
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrik Meijer opened his store in Greenville, Michigan in 1934. For years, Ore-Ida had a potato plant there.

Meijer's invented their Super Stoes, Meijer's Thrifty Acres in 1962, the same yr. as Wal-Mart and K-Mart also started their big boxes.
Meijer's invented the term, "One Stop Shopping."

The company is privately owned and run now by grandsons. There are 170 stores in 5 states, Ohio, Ill., Mich., Ky, Indiana. This is the ninth largest privately held American company.

Each store employs about 400 workers, and most are members of UFCW union. The Indiana workers are not in unions. Top senior shop floor workers earn $16.50/hr. with the usual full-timers in the stores earning $10-12/hr.

Meijer's is open 364 day/yr. Only close Christmas Day.

Also founded in 1934 were Amana Corp., Bank of Canada(the central bank), Big Bear Mkts. of Columbus, Ohio, and the Soap Box Derby.
Although Fred Meijer was a son of the founder, there is no relationship to Fred Meyers Store in Oregon, founded by its namesake, now a division of Krogers.

jjaba, research dept.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4196
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And jjaba should mention that our own Bushay controls the bread supplies to Meijer's. Like the produce sections, you'll never find stale, outdated, or mushy bread at a Meijer's.

Stand up and take a bow, Bushay. One atta boy for you.

jjaba.

Bushay

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slightly incorrect jjaba. We have territories we must stick to. No Meijer's in the Jefferson/St. Jean area as of yet but trust me, I'm one with all my fingers and toes crossed they break ground on one soon. Shoppers shop at a Fj's. They FLOCK to a Meijer's for their bread and rolls!

With that said. Who needs a Sara Lee bagel with cream cheese???

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2564
Posted From: 4.229.105.100
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have to agree with Citylover on this one.

And Detroiters should have the choices that suburbanites make in their shopping experience... rather than having to go to the suburbs to get that choice.

Detroit would be well served with a few Meijer's. The store in Roseville that I have visited is always clean and well stocked. I don't check the social status of the other shoppers, I'm there to make a purchase.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4198
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy, Bushay. Add a slice of lox to that bagel and schmere of cream cheese and you've got a nice breakfast treat.

Since Jews don't "cross our fingers and hope to die", I'll make the star of David in my heart for Bushay. Good success on the bread route, where ever and which ever Chaldean market you serve.

jjaba, who grew up in St. Brigit's Parish on the Westside. He remembers.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meijer ain't bad. bring that shit west of the lake. anything to compete with fuckin wally world. the one out in livonia off of 96 & middlebelt isn't bad. it's getting dirty outside for being a newer strip mall, but inside i think it's neat. i only shop there in the middle of the night because otherwise the place is always packed. and the one on 13 and john r is about the same.

ps-they got a culvers somewhere up in clinton t now
nicccce

Bushay

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culvers butter burgers...Mmmm. They just put one in front of the Meijers at 13 and Little Mack in Roseville. Havnt tried one yet but already heard they were dynomite!

Excuse me...lunch is being served!!!

Mani

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meijer sucks!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 69.221.71.123
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Mani, for your informative post. See you at the neighborhood Spartan Foods affiliate, where I will be checking to see if the meat is the right color.

Mani

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well since you decided my post has something to do with you and took it personal...I don't eat meat and that is a stupid thing that you said. MEIJER SUCKS AND SO DOES SPARTAN.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4086
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old are you (either mentally of physically, either will work for me)?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 69.221.71.123
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit. Pretty feral, for a non-carnivore.

Mani

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, that's the animal in me coming out. haha

Jjaba

Post Number: 4200
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack Ave. and Little Mack? Explain.

jjaba, Wstsider.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 66.2.148.249
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack Ave turns into Greater Mack north of Vernier, Little Mack branches off westward from Harper, near 9 Mile.

Jt1

Post Number: 7678
Posted From: 66.19.17.148
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joes will be going into a location in GP. I have been told that it is already moving forward.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4206
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we have 3 Mack Aves. in Detroit?

jjaba.

Gistok

Post Number: 2574
Posted From: 4.229.90.170
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yessirree Jjaba, it's to confuse the west siders... :-)

Actually there is only 1 Mack in Detroit and in the Grosse Pointes. Once you get to north of 8 Mile and into St. Clair Shores, Mack is now called "Greater Mack". By 9 Mile Greater Mack turns into a 3 lane residential street. It ends at 10 Mile, and starts up again as a 2 lane residential street meandering its way northward into obscurity.

Just north of 9 Mile, another street called "Little Mack" branches off of Harper (about 1/2 mile west of Greater Mack). This street is a 5 lane major road for its entire length, until it merges into Gratiot just south of 14 Mile.

Folks visiting St. Clair Shores will be puzzled when they travel down 11 Mile and get to the 5 lane Little Mack main street. About 1/2 mile farther east on 11 Mile they come across "Greater Mack", which is a 2 lane residential street. That should really confuse them!

(Message edited by Gistok on August 07, 2006)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4207
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is totally confused. Just that information, insures jjaba won't go there without a local like Gistok. Give jjaba the actual street signs, without the quote marks?
Do they all say Mack Avenue all the way?

Sounds like Mack Avenue turns quite a bit. All's jjaba knows is the portion from Fairview Park of the Negro League Detroit Stars to Woodward Avenue. Gistok must be talking about another Mack Ave.

Who among us has driven a Mack Truck on Mack Avenue. Now, that would be somethin', eh!
Thanks.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3153
Posted From: 68.250.43.142
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack follows the course of the river, so it changes from an east/west road to a north/south street, just like Harper and Jefferson.

Mani

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer Sucks. Scrap the idea.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 620
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little mack starts at 9 1/2 and harper

Jjaba

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks. More urban exploration necessary.

jjaba.

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.43.147.129
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have family that's worked for Meijer for years. Most people don't realize that grocery stores are hard to make a profit from due to three reasons... A) the mark-up on fresh stuff like produce is not much, B) lots of in-store damage (people leaving cold stuff like ice cream in the shoe dept. because they don't want to put it back or opening food packages and eating some then leaving them) and C) employee theft, sometimes more than customer theft, is a big problem. So put a big box store in the middle of an area where income levels are kinda low and see what happens. Unfortunately, it isn't in most big boxes' financial interest to open there, no matter how affordable the goods are and how big the need is.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4745
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

Do you think that Mejier will be serving Kosher meats?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one posted this:

Meijer opens Warren store in aggressive expansion plan

August 09, 2006

Dorothy Bourdet / The Detroit News

WARREN -- Even without big giveaways, the grand opening of a new Meijer in Warren drew a crowd that stretched the length of the 207,000-square-foot building on Mound Road.

Could some of the new stores find their way into the Detroit market that many grocers have fled?

"We don't have any specific plans right now" for stores in Detroit, Behler said. "What I can say is when we're looking for property, we're looking everywhere."

------------------------------ -------------------

Reading through all the corporate spin, it would seem to me that Detroit is out for quite awhile. They couldn't openly say that they aren't looking at Detroit.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 198.111.167.34
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww. Too bad things didn't go better for me at Meijer so I could get the employee discount there if they do move in. Nevermind, I don't think that job was worth a ten percent discount.

Gistok

Post Number: 2600
Posted From: 4.229.72.98
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Little Mack starts exactly halfway between 9 Mile and 9 1/2 Mile (Stephens).

And yes Jjaba, you will only find the road signs "MACK AVE" only in Detroit and the Grosse Pointes, "GREATER MACK" only in St. Clair Shores, and "LITTLE MACK" in St. Clair Shores and Roseville.

And another thing Jjaba, as complex as the entire "Mack" situation is, there are 2 other streets on the east side that are much more complicated than Mack... Beaconsfield and Hayes.

Both Beaconsfield and Hayes would require a map for all but the most adept Eastsiders to follow their entire route. They stop and start up again so many times, that they are really impossible to follow.

Hayes is a major street on the east side of Detroit, and again in central Macomb County (near M-59). But it goes thru "subdivision hell" in Eastpointe, and becomes important near Macomb College, becomes obscure as a residential street near 14 mile, and becomes important again north of 16 mile.

Although Hayes always maintains its North/South axis, Beaconsfield goes off in all directions between Jefferson in GPP and its final end in Clinton Twp., starting and stopping in several locations. IIRC, it goes NorthNorthWest, turns EastNorthEast, turns NorthEast,and finally turns North.

Udalum
Username: Udalum

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 209.180.252.183
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060809/BIZ/6 08090398

Explanation of Meijer's aggressive expansion campaign and the potentiality of a store in Detroit

Jjaba

Post Number: 4216
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Detroit's Eastside would be a challenge enough for any Westsider, so leave the suburbs out of it. jjaba will take a guide like you or The Rock if he dares goes there.

Danny, Meijer's already sells thousands of Kosher products. There's a secret little system Jews use to tell the Kosher from the forbidden. They've got you covered. Not to worry.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who works nights and has to travel to the suburbs to grocery shop/return cans, etc., I would LOVE to see Meijer or Kroger come into the city. I live in New Center, so there's a Glory Foods in Hamtramck on Campau, but it's not open late. I don't see this happening anytime soon, though. Sadly, not many large retailers will want a 24-hour store in a city with a reputation like the one ours has.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there was a Kroger in Detroiot Rhyme, however, it wasn't getting the expected business because the prices were too steep for the lower class. I twas on the eastside on Gratiot ave., right downthe street from my house.There a grocer there still, but not Krogers, its a nice store too!

Also, I would love for them to open a box store in Jefferson Village. that would prompt the rich GP"s to come ointo the city to shop. A few of themm already come to shop at the Shops @ Jefferson village. It might evern help the character of the area as that area has had a bad rap over the past 40 years. They can buy out that auto parts stores on Jefferson and build over there. There's one limiting factor, Kwame would need to open back up the police station so the store and shoppers can slightly feel a litle safer. My gmom and Aunt live near belle isle and I know they would love to have shopping closer to them so they dont have to ddrive all the way to the suburbs

And about the mack ave. issue, it continues across gratiot in roseville also, check it out on mapquest. Also, Mack ave. did originally cross Woodward until they renamed it MLK jr. BLVD

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 23, 2006)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect D-town MLK was Myrtle. If you notice Myrtle is slightly misaligned from Mack. This was straightened out in the mid 1980's when the road was also Boulevarded and named after Dr King.

Citylover

Post Number: 1734
Posted From: 4.229.126.60
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again with all due respect to dtown the reason(as posted on this forum) Kroger closed was theft i.e. employee theft and shoplifting.

Dtown1

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, your right Detroitplanner, however, I figured that because on Kem's song (an R&B artist from Detroit). stated he had some occurance on Mack and 3rd. I know he meant a shelter on 3rd street on the outskirts of the Cass corridor. So your right about the misalignment

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thing about music... you should not take it literally. I can recall Journey sung a song in the late 1970's/early 1980's that had the line "born and raised in South Detroit". South Detroit? where the heck is that? Windsor??

Lots of poetic liscence used in music.

Mani

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

da...he was born in the detroit river...come on that wasn't so difficult.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 70.190.24.108
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayete Park where my wife grew up.She was a city girl though.

Dtown1

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.212.172.155
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News for the people who want a meijer in detroit, they say if they knew so many people in the city would like a Meijer in their neighborhood, they may consider in the future opening one here. However, they say exact info is a secret

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.