Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » UD Dental School Move « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udalum
Username: Udalum

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.60.146.55
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the UD Dental School will not be moving to McNichols as previously promised/announced for a univ. consolidation. Instead, the board of trustees voted to move it to somewhere west of downtown:

http://dental.udmercy.edu/news .php?id=1151502790880

From what I've been hearing, the rumor about moving the dental school to a location other than McNichols would make a lot of alums unhappy (because it goes against the idea of the revitalization of McNichols). Now that this rumor is a reality, we'll see how the alums react and what other development promises the university will renege on in the future.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting people to respond to this thread is like pulling teeth!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^^^ boom boom splash on the drums lol

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 141.217.12.135
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just get the plyers and give it a little more pull DP.
but where in SW Detroit adjacent to downtown?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear they are going to merge it with the Wayne County Community College downtown campus. Oh, and add a House of Blues and a Cheesecake Factory to it as well.

(Message edited by detroitplanner on August 04, 2006)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1984
Posted From: 70.141.183.29
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is interesting. There is certainly a lot of room west of downtown for them to move in. It seems they prefer to have their professional schools detached from the undergrad campus, and closer to downtown. Obviously there is a precedent with the law school having always been in the heart of downtown.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2550
Posted From: 4.229.81.227
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udalum, I too am an alumni of Mercy College (undergrad) and UDM (grad).... I heard that they have torn down the beautiful Admin Building at the Mercy Campus. Besides the "new" Dental School are the other buildings still standing (Marion Hall, small faculty buildings, Cafeteria/Conference Building)?

I haven't been involved with the school since they pissed me off back in 1995 (I got an MS in Computer Mgmt. from the Business school, but they wanted me to start from Square 1 (testing and entrance "hoops") for getting an MBA from the same school I already graduated from with a 3.97 GPA!).

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4180
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't piss off Gistok. He'll talk about chu till the cows come home. jjaba is delighted to know Gistok was educated on the Westside. Now the truth comes out.

jjaba is a graduate of the Hamtramck Dombrowski Dental School for those of Polish Extraction, hisself.

jjaba.

Gistok

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, thanks for making me laugh Jjaba! I still get my "knickers in a twist" over that one... Yes, I had 1 1/2 years at WSU in the 1970's (alas also on the west side), and then after a 17 year hiatus I went back to get my undergrad and grad degrees. That's the one bad thing about the east side (the only bad thing!)... they have no colleges!

Opps... I tell a lie..... the WSU Medical School and the UDM Law School are on the east side... :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on August 04, 2006)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^WSU Medical and Pharmacy; UD Law.

Gistok

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw.... just as you were posting, I went back and edited.... Deja Vu!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha eastside just by a hair. But all of the WSU institutions are generally more synonimous with "midtown."

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 198.109.28.240
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently a student and a employee of the University. Honestly I think the real reason that the dental school is not moving to the McNichols campus is because there isn't enough room. It sounds like there are other plans for the small amount of remaining room lfet on the campus so the school really had nowhere to go.

Regarding Gistok's question about whats left at the Outer Drive Campus. I was actually just over there today and allong with the Dental School, Marion Hall and the Ward Conference Center are there for sure, there may have been more, I just wasn't paying attention. I think WCCC is planning on keeping those buildings when they take over the campus in 2008.

Udalum

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

I agree that currently there is not enough room. However, I and others have been looking forward to Fr. Stockhausen's idea of consolidation. The idea was to move the dental school to the area currently occupied by the surface parking lot facing McNichols (where the old UD stadium was located). Parking decks would have replaced the surface lots to free up space for the school and additional buildings.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, et. al. Those colleges and graduate programs are not Westside nor Eastside. They are Downtown or Midtown or Cultural Center.
The Westside is West of that. Institutions so close to Woodward are not on one side nor the other.

Now, Univ. of Detroit, Mercy College, Marygrove College, Lawrence Tech., now that's Westside.

4,000 posts from jjaba and they still don't know Detroit. What am I, chopped liver?

jjaba.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahaha

you're always educating us

Jjaba

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, when you get to 2,000 posts, let us know for a Centurian prize. Mazel tov. jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4187
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Gistok, jjaba jumped around too.

jjaba attended the Alka Seltzer Dental School for Hasidic Jews. I was located on Dexter Blvd. in the 1950s.

jjaba.

Gistok

Post Number: 2563
Posted From: 4.229.105.100
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... Jjaba planned his education around the Dexter bus route.... :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered why anyone in their right mind would want to be a dentist. Staring down people's mouths for the rest of my life is a total turnoff.

On the other hand, it beats being a proctologist, I suppose.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4197
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, my dentist said my root canal was so bad, he sent me to the proctologist. The two are connected. Another time the dentist claimed I needed a urologist.

Gistok, correct again. After Alka-Seltzer School on Dexter, jjaba went to WSU Grad college, also on the Dexter line on Cass Avenue. The Dexter bus served him well. He also rode it to Northland Center after 1954 when it was extended over W. Outer Drive and up Greenfield.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4084
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to the plans for their downtown twin-towers campus proposal?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've lived on the udm mcnichols campus for the past 3 years now. there is no room for udm to build a dental school there. you won't hear it anywhere, but udm took a nice bath on the sale of the mercy campus to wayne community. they can't afford to even build a new dental school. now they're paying rent to use their former dental school until they dump out some more cash. haha. the only major infrastructure investment that will be made to the udm system is the law school downtown. the 2020 vision or something on those lines. we love hearing about all new great stuff going on in downtown, but we're stuck out here on top of highland park. scary. been down mcnichols lately...

ps-for the record i am an out-of-state transplant and love detroit. my bitching about udm is merely a loop hole and is in no way slander on this bad ass city.

(Message edited by hybridy on August 06, 2006)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4199
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy, welcome to the Forum and to beautiful NW Detroit. jjaba came up on Northlawn Ave., just South of your campus.

Keep us infomred about UDM. Thanks, merci'.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

ps. you can call it Six Mile Rd. on this Forum.

Hybridy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks bro
yea i kinda got an in, in the fisher building on campus
so we'll see what happens
oh while i'm on it, who every heard about them boulevarding livernois from 8 mile to our campus? it was supposed to happen before the super bowl because 8 mile is a "gateway to the city" and livernois was "fashion avenue" way back when. all i heard is that udm tried to get them to run it down to the lodge. then it all fell through.

Udalum

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy - as a UD student, keep the habit of calling it McNichols ;-)

There's room on McNichols (if they would build the planned parking structures), but you're right that they lack funds to do this because of their spending track record.

Hybridy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being a presidental ambassador i get to hear bits and pieces of what alums really think, so feel free. yea down where we are it is mcnichols, it becomes six mile up in redford and livonia, but thats a 20 minute drive west for me.

Udalum

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which ambassador are you in the pic below?

http://www.udmercy.edu/gallery /view_photo.php?set_albumName= album08&id=P6L9768

I'm just curious because I know several students in that photo.

(Message edited by udalum on August 06, 2006)

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.43.0.36
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"oh while i'm on it, who every heard about them boulevarding livernois from 8 mile to our campus? it was supposed to happen before the super bowl because 8 mile is a "gateway to the city" and livernois was "fashion avenue" way back when. all i heard is that udm tried to get them to run it down to the lodge. then it all fell through."

I guess you haven't been around the campus lately because they've been adding the boulevard from just north of Florence up to 7 mile all summer. I would assume that they're going to do more once they finish with that section.

Also, no matter if you think there is room on the McNichols campus or not, I think they're pretty close to owning this building. I know for a fact that blueprints have been circulating to discuss the needed upgrades to the building.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1354
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, being a Johnny-come-lately to the East- side history of the infamous U of D dental school, does not remember when the school was located across the street from the current law school on E. Jefferson, and was forced into distinction via the wrecker's ball to make room for Ren Cen. That was in the early 60's.
Those of us attending night school class in the law building could look out the front windows facing E. Jefferson and could both hear and see the sounds of destruction.

Hybridy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shit son
i was in europe since feb. i got back to the states a few weeks ago. but im in milwaukee doing this job thing. i had no idea the project finally started. sweet shit though.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lovely.

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.43.0.36
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i had no idea the project finally started. sweet shit though."

Yep, they're taking their sweet time with the project, but it actually is happening. Hopefully they'll at least finish that section by the end of the summer. I don't know what the plans are for other sections though.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Posted From: 24.211.58.63
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's definitely room at McNichols, in fact the original plan was in fact to build a new dental school there. However the costs became very prohibitive once they got a grasp on reality of building fresh, and thus they sought other options ultimately settling on taking over an older hospital facility down near MCS.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the new address of the Dental School on the Westside.

jjaba only knows that Henry Ford the Deuce insured us that he was starting a new Detroit Renaissance with his towers down there. We never heard that the U of D Dental School was coming down. Thanks Rock.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.