Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Quilted house in Woodbridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10425
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just blogged about a very exciting project underway in Woodbridge. Instead of cut and pasting it here, just click on the link to the page. Also be sure to check out the link to Detroit Architectual Salvage of Detroit within the entry. Needless to say, I am very exciting about this upcoming project. The project is gaining much attention from the local media as well as on a national scale. They hope to break ground on the home by spring.

Two professors along with two students involved gave us a run down of what the project will entail, how it came about, and future plans after this project is complete. I hope that they will come speak again prior to breaking ground with updates and changes that will surely happen along the way.

http://sof8mile.blogspot.com/2 006/08/codename-quilted-house. html

(Message edited by supersport on August 04, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6543
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

must... resist....

urge... to... view...

sport's... blog...

MUST... RESIST...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2035
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll save you from Sports blog. Just go here:
http://aswdetroit.org/house.ht m

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6544
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless you, Ndavies.

What an interesting project.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1264
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping Sport's new project was something like this: http://www.grandmashouse.ws/Bo oks/Quilting.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1985
Posted From: 70.141.183.29
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...that's awesome. I am eager to see how far they go when it comes to using the materials one would find in typical woodbridge homes. I'm looking for hardwood, plaster moldings, leaded glass.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1265
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That ASW Detroit project does sound pretty cool, though! I'm sure the folks in Chicago are tired of their salvaged artifacts being used on new buildings in Detroit. :-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7674
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they really using a salvaged toilet and bathtub. Salvaged means used and those are 2 items that should be new.

Cool concept all the same.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2551
Posted From: 4.229.81.227
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that wonderful arched mullioned window. One would think that the best architectural feature would be on the front of the house, but it doesn't seem to be the case in the computer rendering.

Supersport

Post Number: 10427
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They would like to go so far as to reuse recycled lumber for the structure of the house, though as it is the city is quite strict on this. Mostly because what they don't want to see is "scrappers" tearing old lumber off homes that is in poor condition and repairing their own homes with it. They stated during the meeting that it is totally feasible to reuse structural lumber in good condition, but as it is, this is one area that they may not be able to pursue.

As I said, the city seems very welcoming towards this project, so perhaps it will lead the way in changing a few codes that would approve such reuse after proper inspection.

It should also be noted that while they have obtained many items from deconstructed homes, some may change to appeal to the buyer. Such as perhaps they don't want an old bath tub and would prefer a shower or jacuzi type. So some interior features may change along the way.

This ranks among my favorite announcements since moving here. Following the lead of North Corktown with tasteful infill development, this adds a modern twist to coincide with this. The next logical step would be tasteful full modern architecture used for infill. I view this simply as a stepping stone in regards to the direction development in Detroit is headed.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 69.213.204.140
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ss; got any contact info for purchasing this house?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1366
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1 - salvaged toilets and tubs are the best. The older toilets use a lot more water so you don't have to flush twice. Places like Atlas Plumbing can rebuild the interior so that they work like new, but they just have a much larger tank. And who wouldn't want an old clawfoot tub??

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The older toilets use a lot more water so you don't have to flush twice.

Too much information.

Supersport

Post Number: 10429
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ss; got any contact info for purchasing this house?

It sounds like they have a very interested party in regards to this one, though I still encourage you to contact eap, or possibly the professors involved.

I believe Dan Patera and Will Wittig of the School of Architecture, pictured via the link to ASW Detroit, were the two whom spoke at the event.

I know you have pondered building infill with a modern twist, correct? Perhaps you yourself, being the rock star architect you are, could at least get the needed contact information to do a project on par yourself.

The biggest stepping stone that still exists is an NEZ designation in order to make such infill properties enticing to buyers. When the topic was brought up it was mentioned that the road to such designation is a long one, but one that is already being ventured down. It is my understanding that properties north of Merrick within Woodbridge already have an NEZ designation, but don't hold me to it, as that was the word on the street.

Rsa

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yee of little faith in my rockstar-edness. i had dan pitera for a professor for a studio that culminated in the "24620; the fugitive house" project. i was one of the 7 original students: http://www.udmercy.edu/alumni/ publications/nautilus/nautilus _winter02/detroithouse.htm
http://www.slowlab.net/fugitiv e%20house.html
http://www.archilab.org/public /2001/ftar01en.htm

i was just being lazy and wondering if you had gotten any contact info at the meeting last night.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.61.202.250
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty cool! I think the house would've looked cute with the big window in front also, but it's still a funky little home!

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 67.38.28.69
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a known preservation issue that leaded windows should be protected from UV rays to avoid failure. The large salvaged windows seem to be placed on the northern side of the house. Maybe for this reason?

Rsa

Post Number: 922
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't think that it's so much of an issue of failure as it is of preservation. glass never completely reverts to a solid form; it is usually maintains a liquid form in a very minor structural level. leaded glass tends to have a higher viscosity level than other kinds.

but i'm talking hundreds of years that it takes to degrade to the point of failure. for those that don't believe me, scope out some windows that have been around for that long. they tend to be thicker at the bottom than at the top.

Supersport

Post Number: 10431
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'm completely clueless in regards to leaded glass. So there is actually lead that is melted in with the glass or what? What was the reasoning for this? Is there any advantage to lead glass windows? I know somebody recently said something in regards to how much better lead glass windows look than new windows. Why can't they make new windows to resemble lead glass windows? RSA, I assume you'll have the answer to these questions.

Thanks in advance

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some good info on leaded glass. Glass has lead in it to keep exposure to radiation at a minimum. It's used mostly in TVs and computer monitors.

http://www.historichomeworks.c om/hhw/pbriefs/pb33.htm

The windows with the lead strips (called "cames") are used mostly in stained or colored glass windows in churches. Most of the older houses also had the clear leaded glass windows (with the cames visible).

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 217.232.103.199
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn´t know that glass had much lead in it, the term "leaded" glass applied to those glass windows where there were small beveled panes or shapes held together with leaded strips (Cames) usually in an artful way. Just a decorative way of piecing together small pieces of glass to create a larger element. As glass originally had to be blown and then spun to create flat surfaces and they weren´t all that big, so then many blown pieces would be leaded together to create a larger window. The term "bullseye glass" is another old term harkening back to the original usuage of glass as windows. They were expensive and labor intensive to make- hence only upper class homes had glass windows and the lower classes made due with greased paper or nothing to let in the light.

Yes- glass is actually a liquid and in many of the old churches and building with original glass-the restorers have to deal with the problem of the glass being too thin at the top and swelling at the bottom(sometimes even overlapping the lead frames). It is a weird site to see.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.