Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tigers star who struck out the Babe dies at 95 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aek21
Username: Aek21

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 84.24.188.124
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in peace...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/ne ws?slug=ap-obit-auker&prov=ap& type=lgns

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3604
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way Jim Price & Dan Dickerson were talking about him on the radio tonight, he seemed like a prince amongst men. God speed.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3934
Posted From: 75.10.9.37
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eldon Auker jogging out to the pitcher mound after the final game at Tiger Stadium will alway be my lasting memory of that day. Other former players in his age group were taken out to their positions in golf carts but Auker chose to job out from centerfield to the pitchers mound. He got about halfway to second base before he was winded and began walking.

John Hiller was the next player to come out and rather that passing Auker he stopped and walked with him to the mound. A very cool moment and a very special place.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3611
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Hiller's little moment like that cements him in my mind as an act of class unto itself. Does anyone know if there's a commerative video of the last day at Tiger Stadium where this footage was seen?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 69.221.71.123
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there, and one of my lasting memories is the explosion of joy that followed the announcement, and appearance, of Mark Fidrych. Tiger history is full of great players, and we all have our favorites, but EVERYBODY loved The Bird.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.