Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Homicides up 17 %, Non-Fatal Shootings up 27% « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chief has yet to come out and establish her plan to effectively curb the violence in the city. Hoping it goes away is not a plan!

"But other guns in the city are being fired at alarming rates, pushing homicides in Detroit up 17 percent this year and nonfatal shootings up 27 percent.

As of Monday, there were 237 homicides this year, compared with 203 in the same period last year. Nonfatal shootings have risen even more sharply, with a January-July total of 877, compared with 693 in the first seven months of 2005.

If the current pace keeps up, Detroit will exceed 400 killings by the end of the year. Last year's total was 359, and the grim statistic last exceeded 400 in 2002.

"I am real concerned, and I have been throughout the year," Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings told The Associated Press last week after announcing the gun buyback. "What we're seeing is that the victims are young black males between the ages of 18 and 30 and, unfortunately, the perpetrators are in that same group. We see that most of our shootings have a narcotic nexus to it, and I have to be concerned."

http://www.policeone.com/commu nity-policing/articles/508754/

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2830
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think the plan should be Dpd Blue? Is this something a police chief can devise or are there factors beyond her powers at play?

For instance, I have always held that there wasn't anything too wrong with the City of Detroit that 100,000 decent paying jobs couldn't fix.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plans that would work. First take a zero-tolerance on all sorts of public order crimes. When you get people to stop hanging out on corners and drinking in public you eliminate one area of conflict. Second start providing adequate housing for the people who are arrested.On any weekend many people are released from custody because there is no cell space. Third begin to flood the areas with the highest murder rates with officers and take a zero tolerance policy in these areas for public order crimes and outstanding warrants. If MSP, WCSD and DPD sent in an additional 5 cars each to an area one night a week for crime suppresion you would see some results.

The simple act of arresting the people with misdemeanor warrants and people who drive while suspended will make a dent. When you arrest these people it opens up a legal basis for searching there property which over time will get guns out of the criminals hands.

The court system also needs to step up and stop giving everyone in Detroit probabtion and starting sending a message that crime will not be tolerated like Oakland County and Macomb County do.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.41.196.57
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiosity, what are the homicide rates in other big cities?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8679
Posted From: 70.53.96.174
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Windsor's jobless rate is the second highest in Canada yet we have seen drop sin crime rates the last few years.
Maybe a culture of not giving a shit is doing more harm than what a few good jobs can do. Let's not forget that a culture of no parenting (or lack of parenting skills) is also a huge blame as it keeps children from going to school and or if they do stay in school, not giving a damn about themselves.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 69.216.141.162
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is amazing, Lowell can even excuse homicide. If you don't have a job, it's OK to kill someone.

Sad to say, but I'm not surprised to hear him allude to that. This problem is far deeper then jobs, Goat is on the right track.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure staying in school would deter crime. Case in point--one of our students (a decent student who was in school almost daily) was caught robbing a Family Dollar store at gunpoint (during school hours). It wasn't the first time he had done this. When he was absent, he was robbing Dollar Stores. He wrote amazing poetry and gave no indication (other than having been previously shot in the leg) that this was something he would do. His parents were involved and his homework was always done. He really didn't need the money for anything other than to show off. Amazingly enough, when he posted bond, he was right back in school (which is another can of worms and a whole Jerry Springer talk show).

However, I think education is the key to making things better in the city. The gun buy-back program (which ran out of money) was also a great idea. They took alot of guns off the streets, although I'm not sure about the final number turned in (one gun off the street is better than none).

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still way too easy to blast someone with an impersonal gun. I'm all for getting as many of them off the streets.
You're right about the education thing as well.
We also need opportunity and hope for Detroiters. A job with possibility of advancement and more money would be a wonderful way to stem to downward spiral of this city.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my barber is eighty-eight years old. he recently told me a story about growing up in fruitport, a rural community near muskegon. he walked three miles to school every day. there was a time when a pack of wolves was roaming the area, so he took his old double-barrelled shotgun with him. i asked him where he put it when he got to school; he said the janitor had a locker where all the kids put their guns. many of them went hunting on their way home from school, to help put food on the table, as it was depression era. he added, "of course, we weren't shooting each other back then."

so - with an economy worse than what we have now, in a farming community sometimes described as "hicks" (low social order), and a "gun culture" in the schools - why weren't kids shooting each other? in fact, i can envision a confrontation where two kids put down their guns so they can fight each other.

the root of the problem is not the economy, nor is it guns. it's people who are largely willing to, or wishing to, kill people, in order to establish dominance. take away the guns, and it will be knives, bats, chains, fists, and firebombs. unless there is a predominant sense of civility, pride, and community spirit, there will be the worst of problems where it fails to exist.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 4.229.126.68
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live in Detroit.Regarding this thread only DPD offers a concrete realistic approach to the crime problem.

Unfortunately I think the Mayor, Chief of Police and Prosecuting atty are all mediocre at best and failing where crime is concerned.I wonder how different things might had been were Duggan still county prosecutor.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irrelevant! The Detroit Police don't give a shit. They are a bunch of thugs just like the Mayor. Get rid of city counsel, get rid of the police force and the Mayor and then maybe Detroit has a fighting a chance.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 35.12.20.193
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get rid of city counsel, get rid of the police force and the Mayor and then maybe Detroit has a fighting a chance."

Cool! All-out anarchy! Whoever will get a "fighting chance" will be the person who's best at shooting a gun.

Mani

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not constructive at all! I am not advocating violence. On the contrary, I am advocating getting rid of corrupt government and electing people who actually give a shit about the residence of the city of Detroit. So that we in the city have a chance to thrive and be productive and advance on all levels. Also to live in a city with less crime instead of more.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2834
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is amazing, Lowell can even excuse homicide." Gilda, unbunch your panties. I said nothing of the sort. Enough already of your knee-jerk twisting of my words. Sheesh - get a neck rub.

Goat, the crime / murder rate has been dropping in the C of D and Michigan for several years too, until recently perhaps. And we don't know the final count for this year. As you recall there was a huge hue and cry on this forum early last year when the murder rate spiked, then it [ahem] died down.

The link between decent employment and crime rates are well established. Carrots are needed as much as sticks. The more carrots ther are the less sticks are needed, not the other way around.

Dpd Blue your "dense pack" theory would probably work if there was any money and will. But as long as we are a divided metropolis where the law enforcement assets and burdens are not shared, sadly I see little will [shared money] to provide the C of D with the resources they need for your plan. Instead I fear we will hear the old refrain, "It's [City of] Detroit's problem; let 'them' fix it."

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, when school is out for the summer, crime skyrockets in my neighborhood. I still don't understand teenagers nowadays. Stealing cars at the age of 13, carjacking at the age of 15 and 16....if I even thought my children were capable of anything like that, I would chain them in the basement and take my chances with child protective services.

They see way too much violence. It's everywhere on TV and even on the cartoons. I remember growing up watching TV....Good Times, the Jeffersons.......

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10435
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They see way too much violence. It's everywhere on TV and even on the cartoons. I remember growing up watching TV....Good Times, the Jeffersons.......

Please Bratt, tv is not to blame. It's parenting, or lack of. I'm sure your kids watch tv, probably catch some violence on tv now and then. Yet your kids aren't going out and committing crimes. Tv's, video games, and everything else is simply a skape goat for parents who aren't doing a good job at home. The fact that your kids stay out of trouble says that you obviously are doing something right.

While crime is always of concern, it's importance in regards to Detroit is quite obvious by the amount of traffic this thread is seeing. What are we at, 16 posts now? Had this been a thread announcing progress on Book Cadillac, Tigers Stadium, or Rock Financial, then it would have had 15 hits within the first 15 minutes.

Perhaps crime in Detroit is simply an accepted fact of life living in Detroit. Maybe people have heard about it for so many years, so many decades, that it's now falling upon deaf ears. The growing number of people downtown any given weekday and weekends obviously aren't being driven away by crime. The recent spike in my own neighborhood hasn't had people putting their homes up forsale at a higher than normal rate. In fact, preventative measure are being taken to combat crime.

I figure this thread will be short lived, as it is no different than any other crime thread. Without a foolproof solution, there really isn't much to talk about.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 198.109.49.243
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no solutions to offer. But more policing sounds good to me. I will offer this tidbit. Yesterday while walking my 7 month old in Sport's hood there were a group of kids, 4-7 years olds would be my guess, playing with their parents on the porch watching. We strolled past with a hello and a smile to the kids. In return one of the kids took a play gun he had made and pointed it at the baby and mocked shooting him. I know it was just kids playing and he was causing no harm, but when one of the adults on the porch strated laughing hysterically at what the kid did I found it a little disturbing. Her reaction was much more the problem than the kids action.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 347
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have flipped out. What was your reaction? I witness parents defending kid's violent behavior all the time. It's sad. My parents would have beaten me within an inch of my life and I'd have done the same to my son. Do we have to start offering "gun etiquette" in kindergarten??

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 64.7.187.229
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all these morons need a one way ticket to baghdad-

Mani

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are so Right Supersport! Within all of those words typed under your post you didn't say anything. it is all jibberish. Perhaps this... maybe that...you are doing what you complain about. and to mention you are wrong...there are actual studies that prove that watching violence on television does indeed teach children to be more violent. It is called Social Leaning Behavior. It works! and lastly, in regards to population, it is on the decline in the city of Detroit, currently the numbers are not going up.

Thecarl

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The link between decent employment and crime rates are well established.

really? do you mean, in a community where citizens have flagging work ethic and civility, and a criminal mindset, there's a lack of decent employment? that, i believe.

Thecarl

Post Number: 908
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please Bratt, tv is not to blame. It's parenting, or lack of. I'm sure your kids watch tv, probably catch some violence on tv now and then. Yet your kids aren't going out and committing crimes. Tv's, video games, and everything else is simply a skape goat for parents who aren't doing a good job at home.

there's a legal term called "contributory negligence." bad parenting and absent parenting have their effects on a child. so do peers, and other environmental factors.

it is ridiculous to say that the entertainment industry (cinema, radio, tv, video games, web, etc.) should be held harmless for the messages seeded in our environment, when more and more demands are placed on parents today.

supersport, do you have any opinion on what corporate america is doing to (or for) those wishing to raise children in this country? i would say the demands upon households to provide two salaries is ever-increasing, and leaves parents competing with an ever-growing host of external influences. meanwhile, the entertainment industry is not shy about pandering to, and profiting from, the youthful.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 866
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that there is a correlation of jobs to homicides is so over the top that I laughed so hard I thought I had a hyena in my stomach. This is the kind of thinking that just causes more and more codependent behavior on the part of the liberal thinkers toward criminals. Do you want to know why you can’t think of any solutions to the problem of crime? It’s because the “good people” that make, enforce and administer the laws can’t and never will be able to think like the criminals. And, guess what? You better be able to think like them to solve the problems. The only ones that come close to having a gripe on the way criminals think are the police. But, as they say, “A whipped dog is a smarter dog.” And, the police have been whipped so often and thoroughly that they got the message not to do what needs to be done to clear up the problem. To go back to the beginning – the whole idea of a correlation of jobs to homicides is so naïve that it would be impossible to try to talk to the liberal thinking of this ilk! It’s from the same school of thought that says, “Throw more money at the problem.” This is liberal, Christian, guilt driven, alleged, problem solving which is an oxymoron. There is such a wide cultural divide between the two communities on either side of this issue and question that you’re laughing up your sleeve if you think you are going to solve these problems.

Livedog2

Thecarl

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is liberal, Christian

oh, yeah! that wicked, religious left!!!

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 867
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once we get through with the ragheads we're going to line them up against the wall along with the college professors, priests and the mainstream news reporters!

Livedog2

Mani

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime, murder and voilence are learned behaviors. They occur more often in areas of the population that are less educated and on the lower end of the income bracket. This is fact. It is no mystery why crime is up in Detroit. The difficult task is how to stop teaching violence, provide good schools for everyone. As cliche as it sounds "knowledge is power" could not be more true. How do you stop these bad patterns in parenting?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.