Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Great High School Athletes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure what response I'll get from this post, but here goes...

Who were some of Detroit's best ammature jocks? I'll start by mentioning 1 player from each of the 4 major sports:
1. Baseball: Frank Tannana proud product of Detroit Catholic Central when thwey were actually located in Detroit.
2. Basketball: Steve Smith proudly from Pershing High
3. Football: Jerome "The Bus" Bettis from Detroit McKenszie
4. Hockey: Doug Weight (OK maybe not a high school star, but he was born at 6 Mile and Gratiot and this was the closest I could think of to a H.S. hockey star.)

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antoine "The Judge" Joubert
Larry Foote
Earnest Shazor
Braylon Edwards
Jalen Rose
Howard Eisley
Voshon Lenard
Robert "Tractor" Traylor
Spencer Haywood
Willie Horton
Derrick Coleman

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 70.237.11.199
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball: Hal Newhouser (Hall of Fame), Willie Horton, Alex Johnson, Milt Pappas, Frank Tannana

Football: Jerome Bettis, Gilbert Brown, Jim Ninowski, Pepper Johnson, Luis Sharpe, Antonio Gates, Darris McCord, Big Daddy Lipscomb

Basketball: Spencer Haywood, Dave DeBusschre, Reggie Harding, Chris Webber, George Gervin, Jalen Rose, Derrick Coleman, and CURT JONES (may have been the best ever to come out of the PSL)

Track: Hayes Jones, Lorenzo Wright, Henry Carr

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Green (Basketball) from Cooley High (one of my former students!!) Come on, I have to brag. He plays for the 76ers.

Gary

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 70.237.11.199
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Detroitteacher...can't blame you for bragging on Willie Green, he's an outstanding player and I know much of his success is due to the superior education he recieved at Cooley. But, don't overlook Roy Tarpley and Larry Fogle; they're probably the Cardinals' highest profile basketball alums.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 338
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I think they were WAY before my time there. I just remember Willie stressing over what he was going to do with his life. I think he should spread the love to some of his great teachers <evil>.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For hockey I had heard once that John Vanbiesbrouck went to Denby, but I have no clue if this is factual or not.

also, how about Pro Football Hall of Famer Reggie Mackenzie?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1487
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Mlive website's Preps page, John Vanbiesbrouck may have Bishop Gallagher. I know that his older brothers both went there; the oldest of the three Vanbiesbrouck boys was in my class. So I wouldn't be surprised that he attended BGHS, but perhaps didn't graduate, due to his hockey commitment.

If he had gone to public school, he would have attended Finney since he lived just off East Warren not far from Balduck Park.

BTW...John was on the roster of my dad's Detroit PAL (Police Athletic League) team; my younger brother has fond memories of he and John sitting the bench while the older, bigger guys played.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John was still highly regaurded in the Balduct neighborhood when I lived there up until the end of 2001. Not supprised, wasn't his father a Detroit Police Officer?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the high school football front, in 2001, the Irish Sports Report had this to say about Darnell Hood, 6-0, 185, Harper Woods, Mich. (Bishop Gallagher):

"Michigan pipeline. The best RB in the state. Is a big-time player. Runs a 4.35 in the 40."

I watched him play for three years at Bishop Gallagher and I will never forget his quickness and his authority on the field. I believe it was his junior year that the Lancers played Marine City Cardinal Mooney HS in the playoffs and Darnell scored 5 or 6 touchdowns in that game. He was awesome!!

While I was thrilled for him that Michigan gave him a full scholarship, he hasn't had the opportunities to play much for the Wolverines. I'm hoping that he will get some playing time this year and that the team does well before he graduates.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3190
Posted From: 129.137.191.210
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas Wilcher was a pretty damn good athlete. I ran against him in a track meet (uh, he ran, I sort of ran) and he could fly. Not sure why his football career at Michigan went south.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72: I'm certain that Mr. Vanbiesbrouck was not a police officer. I believe he was in some sort on construction-related business.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2805
Posted From: 70.237.162.213
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Since others covered the obvious ones, here are some of the less obvious:

Athletes:

Alexi Lalas and Greg Lalas (Cranbrook/soccer)

David Morrow (Brother Rice/CEO of Warrior Sports)

Kate (Sobrero) Markgraf (DCD/US Women's Soccer)

Pete Dawkins (Cranbrook/Heisman Trophy winner)

Shane Battier and Chris Webber (DCD/basketball)

Craig Krenzel (Utica/OSU/NFL)

Dynasties:

Detroit MLK and DCD (Girls Basketball)

Catholic Central, Cranbrook, Trenton (Boys Hockey)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2834
Posted From: 75.0.88.190
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mill Coleman and Drew Stanton (FH Harrison/MSU)

...and a little further away, Drew Henson (Brighton/UM/Yankees/Cowboys)

(Message edited by metrodetguy on August 13, 2006)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a vote for maybe the greatest high school basketball team in the state of Michigan... the 1967 Pershing Doughboys coached by Will Robinson, with Spencer Haywood and Ralph Simpson(now better known as India Aries'father)Their claim to fame is that all 5 starters ended up playing professional sports and they supposedly scrimmaged the Pistons and held their own. Don't know if thats just an urban legend but on a high school level they were exceptional.

Gary

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 71.144.95.185
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd also vote for the '67 Doughboys as the best high school basketball team, but the '67 Northwestern Colts were no slouches either. Northwestern had John Mayberry, Lamont King and Curt Jones among others and the 1967 PSL championship game between those two teams was a classic. After beating Northwestern in a thriller for the PSL crown, Pershing basically waltzed their way to the Class A state championship that year.

Firstandten

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agree, Gary that NW team was something to behold as well. As great as that Pershing team was they didn't win the city championship and it was a given that who ever won the rematch during the state playoffs would win the state championship. Those were during the days that the PSL schools would beat up on each other during the state playoffs, which was a shame because back then you had two or three schools always capable of winning a state championship.

Gary

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 70.233.3.21
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK firstandten...It's starting to come back to me now. Like you said, Northwestern won the '67 PSL title, not Pershing. It was a very close game as I recall, I was in jr. high back then, so you know my memory has faded somewhat.

Do you know of a reliable website, or book, that discusses the history of the PSL and/or the Detroit Catholic League? I've looked, but such an animal doesn't seem to exist. The News and Free Press archives would seem to be the only sources for this kind of stuff, but I don't have the time to go down there and search. Just curious.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3193
Posted From: 129.137.213.50
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea Ralph Simpson was India Arie's father.

Firstandten

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, the only place I know where you might be able to get some information on that team would be the MHSAA website. The MHSAA has a historian who has written about that team and I believe he has written as well about the CHSL. In the meantime I'll check some other sources and see what I can come up with. Czar, from what I know she doesn't really talk about him like she talks about her mother. I guess there was a bad divorce, bitter feelings and so-forth.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris webber went to "detroit" Country day lol...funny story my school scouted him and wanted him to play for us, but he went there instead...

Firstandten

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

normally I feel that todays high school athlete is bigger,stronger and faster as a whole than the athlete of a generation ago. However to this day I have not seen a better high school point guard than Curtis Jones of NW. In the PSL, I can't think of many great pure point guards(pass first)in the last 40 or so years

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2891
Posted From: 69.221.69.190
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Fracassa, Detroit Northeastern (late 1940s-early 1950s)...starred in football, basketball, and baseball...played football at Michigan State...Head football coach at Brother Rice for the past 37 years...all time winningest (football) coach in Michigan history

(Message edited by metrodetguy on August 18, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2897
Posted From: 69.221.75.139
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester Hills native Matt Baker, Dallas Cowboys/UNC/Brother Rice QB, HS All American lacrosse player

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2969
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nikita Lowry
Detroit Cass Tech Girls Basketball

(OSU All-american, Coach for Old Dominion)

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 976
Posted From: 69.212.40.93
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a few guys that had excellent highschool basketball careers during the early 80's....not sure what happen after highschool.

Tim Russell__Detroit Mackenzie 1982

Sylvester Wilcox_ Detroit Western 1982

Willie 'Stretch' Carter__Detroit Murray Wright 1980

Patrick (can't recall his last name) played for Cass Tech during the mid 80's.

super d(motordetroit)

Gary

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 70.228.0.87
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super D...Patrick Ford is the guy you're thinking of. He made All-PSL first team as a sophomore and looked like a sure fire future NBA prospect. He had a couple of lackluster years at MSU, then I think he transferred to Western Mich.

Stretch Carter played at U of M after his Murray-Wright days.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1509
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Maurice Ager from Detroit Crockett and the duo of Joe Crawford and Malik Hairston from Detroit Renaissance? I saw them all play while in high school and know that they received pretty high marks at that level and even in college, and they provided a lot of excitement on the court during their high school years.

(Message edited by Kathleen on August 22, 2006)

Firstandten

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My idea of a great HS athlete is someone who you could say was a man among boys. There has been a few but not many. I don't think we've seen such a athlete since Chris Webber. I can think of Larry Fogle, Spencer Haywood, Ralph Simpson, George Gervin, Curtis Jones and if you want to get real old school even though I never saw him play but from all accounts Sammy Gee from Miller High was one of those athletes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.