Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tigers and the ESPN Power Rankings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 207.74.176.44
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/ powerranking?week=19

I know I'm not the only one who enjoys looking at ESPN power rankings for the different sports. But all season, I have been severely disappointed by the MLB power rankings.

The Tigers have been the best team in baseball for the last 2 1/2 months. Most of this time, ESPN used the "Tigers lost to the White Sox" excuse to keep them at #2 or lower. Finally, the Tigers beat the White Sox in a series, which put them at #1 for two weeks. Then I look today at the August 4th rankings, and the Tigers drop to #2 behind the Yankees!

I have never seen ESPN disregard a consistently dominant team as they have the Tigers. ESPN.com says, "Winners of eight of their last nine games, the Bombers (Yankees) have wrested control of the No. 1 spot in ESPN.com's Power Rankings from Jim Leyland's Detroit Tigers. Not that the Tigers did anything wrong, mind you. Detroit's a perfectly fine team, still playing great ball."

Granted, the Yankees are hot right now, but should they really overthrow a team just as hot as themselves?

When the Tigers were ripping up the majors in late May, ESPN.com said:
"What more does a team need to do? Yes, the Detroit Tigers have baseball's best record. Yes, they are hotter than "American Idol" Taylor Hicks. Yes, they've won 13 of their last 14. Yes, they own baseball's top pitching staff. Yes, yes and yes again.

But no, they are not the No. 1 team in this week's ESPN.com Power Rankings. Not yet. We're not trying to toss Simon Cowell's wet blanket on the Tigers' performance. We just need to see it to believe it, and the Tigers' time will come June 6 when they visit Chicago for a little AL Central showdown with the pole-sitting White Sox. Until then, they'll likely remain in the two-hole barring a major collapse for either team. Both teams just completed stellar weeks (5-1 for Chicago, 6-1 for Detroit)."

What's with the hypocrisy? The Tigers need to prove they're the best to be #1 in May...then when they stay the best team for 2 1/2 months they get knocked out by a team who was just a little bit hotter than the Tigers for a week.

Not that ESPN.com power rankings mean much, or is very important, I just don't like how ESPN in general has been acting like the Tigers are not really the best team in baseball by 7.5 games. Their standards for ranking teams change from week to week (consistency vs. best-at-the-moment), it almost feels like they are trying to find the best excuse to keep Detroit out of #1.

But, perhaps the Tigers being dismissed is a good thing. 1. If they are eliminated from the playoffs, it won't be such a blow to the greater image of the Tigers. I think making the playoffs would be an unexpected accomplishment in its own right. If they lost, it probably wouldn't be like the drumming the Wings get when they get booted early. 2. More optimistically, perhaps the Tigers can still sneak up on teams who think they are a fluke.

What do you think? Am I overthinking things? Am I playing the too often used "disrespect card"? Or am I looking at things in the right way?

Aek21
Username: Aek21

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 84.24.188.124
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dis is a dis, but a pennant is a pennant

;-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3616
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine, keep us the underdogs. It'll just make the victories that much sweeter when we do win it all.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 24.247.222.121
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can sense the disappointment that many Tigers fans have after they lose 2 games in a row. So, I believe expectations are very high for this team. However, this season has been a pleasant surprise for everyone, so I believe many will be proud of their accomplishments...whether they win the World Series or not.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3936
Posted From: 75.10.9.37
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start a letter writing campaign or maybe hold a candle light vigil at the former Statler site in protest.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see two things happening at the end of the year

Tigers win in playoffs: Explained away citing mistakes committed by opponent, Tigers didn't really win, the other team lost.

Tigers lose: See, we told you so.

It's just like with the Pistons, the situations may be different, but the way it is reported will be the same.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3618
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's that lack of respect thing. Like the Pistons did with their first championship I think they should use it to their advantage and milk it for all it's worth.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 69.221.71.123
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umstucoach has hit the nail etc. with that grim analysis. It can't be helped. But, I don't care. Fuck 'em. Let the (mostly nitwit) "sports journalists," on the air and in print, shower their fickle and cheap admiration on whatever Big Market sonsabitches with whom they are currently infatuated. Most of those clowns know their jobs, but perhaps you have noticed that knowing their jobs does not necessarily involve knowing what the hell they are talking about. But I'll tell ya one thing, and I became convinced of this after Saturday's game: It's over. Nobody in the AL scares me anymore. This coming road trip to Chicago and Boston? Fine. Bring 'em on. And tell 'em that they better go back to eating steroids like they were candy, if they wanna fuck with us. Say goodnight, American League.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.