Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so i recently returned from a semester-long european stint. i feel in love with house music. since the d is all about techno can anyone recommend and good clubs downtown that play house or progressive. other than city club i guess...

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Techno and House are not the same. Years ago many of the Techno party's would include a house section. This is no longer happening. You rarely find them in the same event and you rarely find house in detroit. Chicago use to have a thriving house scene but I am not sure if that scene is still around. Detroit is Techno city but unfortuanely House seems to have died. D-Winn use to be the Detroit master of House, I have not seen his name around in awhile.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 194.138.39.54
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oslo has a very good group of DJ's who spin Techno and Electronica... similar to the kinda stuff you hear in Europe.

Oslo is on Woodward, Downtown.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just returned from a two-month rotation in Chicago, and their house music scene is still very much alive, although still underground.

Mani is right - techno and house are not the same, but there are still plenty of places to get the feel in Detroit.

Oslo is good, Bleu brings in some bigger names, and be sure to check out Paxahau's website...tons of Big local talent. They also hosted this year's Electronic Music Festival. http://paxahau.com

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Souldega Crew was great for House Music locally. Unfortunately, they fell off the face of the Earth after Movement this year.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.220.224.170
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bleu gets some of the big names every now and then, although they are mostly about trance.

They had derrick carter awhile back .

Aaron Carl does a saturday night gig on grand river. I've been meaning to check it out.

http://wallshaker.com/sanctuar y/

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 882
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot House at Corktown Tavern is a monthly event. I haven't been yet, but I heard the most recent one was off the chain.

Terrence Parker was playing Proof for a while on Saturdays (but this may have ended).

Check, detroitclubscene.com and detroitluv.com for events calendars. There is always some sort of a house night going on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.