Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Been stuck at the border lately? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you been one of the unfortunates trying to get back into the U.S. from Windsor?
I understand the guards have been upset since Federal Agents slipped through with fake passports. Evidently, they have been extra, extra vigilant and some think overly so.
What's your take on this?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.79.98.205
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I travel to Windsor once or twice a week. Last week, after waiting 30 minutes in Windsor to get into the tunnel, I was surprised that once I was in, I was stopped for traffic backed up. It's very unusual for them to let it back up inside the tunnel. The border patrol person was very inquisitive. What I don't understand is why all lanes don't experience the same thing. When I was "on deck" to pull up to the booth, I counted 16 cars go by me in the next lane. I don't get it. The entire border crossing took 1 1/2 hours. Today I expected an even longer wait after listening to reports on the radio. From the Windsor toll booth to Jefferson Ave. only took me 10 minutes. Go figure. I will be trying to do more by phone, email, etc. I don't have the time. If it was consistent, at least I could plan my day. Whenever I make appointments in the US after a planned Windsor visit I have to add "I might be late because of the border". I understand the reason, I just don't have time for it. I was considering getting a Nexus pass, but today they were stopping all of those cars too, so what's the use in that?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3642
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I always have my ID ready to go long before I even get up to the booth so the guys there know that I know the routine. Show them proper respect, look them in the eye and listen to every word they say and answer succintly.

Quite honestly I've got nothing to hide and I know that for those few moments of inconvenience are for MY benefit and security- it's nothing personal at all.

Wash_man

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am always polite, have my passport ready, etc. I just don't understand the inconsistencies from lane to lane. And why do they search a vehicle at the booth. Pull it over and keep the line moving.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 68.42.80.245
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't just Detroit-Windsor. I live in Port Huron and cross the blue water bridge to Canada 3 times a week for rugby, and over the last month its steadily taken longer, especially since they started going through the trunks of many vehicles at the booth. But like Smogboy said, I think respect has a lot to do with it. I've watched several times as cars in front of me were held at the booth for 3-4 minutes, but so far, knock on wood, I haven't had a problem.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5755
Posted From: 64.228.209.104
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Nexus card, and despite the occasional random check to keep everyone honest, it's the best $80.00 you can spend. If you cross frequently, I suggest you do it. I am a salesman and cross frequently as I have customers on both sides of the river. Wash_man, I feel your pain, I went to a Tiger game Tuesday night, and had the lane trunk search and it seemed that every lane was moving faster than mine. It still only took 25 minutes end to end.

Also the Nexus at the Bridge tends to move quicker than the Tunnel.

Wash_man

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Smogboy too. I usually never have any hassle at all once I make it to the booth. My only delay is that my car has out of state plates. They always want to know why my plates are for a different state if I live in Michigan. I always explain that it is owned by my employer. It's not really a problem, but it always comes up. I have asked several times if my employer would put Michigan plates on it. The answer is always no. Something about our "fleet policy".

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 680
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sieg Heil.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 876
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a harrowing experience coming back from Windsor. It’s an annual thing with the Men’s Hockey Team I coach and manage to go over to Windsor to our favorite Sporting Goods Store called Perani’s Hockey World to get hockey sticks because of their great selection. Anyway, we were coming back and I had my car full of long-haired hippie looking hockey players that are anything but hippies.

We pulled up to the customs agent to declare what we had, where we were coming from and what we had done when the captain of my team thought he would be cute and said, “Did you tell him about that gun?” I could have just about died and said, “Gary, what the hell’s wrong with you?” But, the damage was already done. The Customs Agent said, “I just started my shift so we have eight hours to talk about this!” We were pulled over and they checked my car from front to back and top to bottom.

As luck would have it I had some of my fishing gear in the trunk and I like to fish at a lake in Brighton called Woodland Lake. They are known for their Tiger Muskie that need to be at least 30 inches to keep them with rows of razor sharp teeth. So, I keep a little .22 caliber pistol to shoot the fish in the head with when I catch them. It beats the hell out of sticking your hand into his mouth while he’s alive with those teeth snapping and that body twisting and turning.

That’s when the fun really started because even though it started off as a joke the joke turned out to be real and we and mostly me was in deep do-do. They kept us there for hours and hours questioning us about who we were, what we were doing, what did we really have in mind, didn’t we and I know that firearms are not allowed in Canada. I thought for sure we or at least I was on my way to jail. But, after about six hours of statements, questioning and interrogation they decided that the story I told about why I had the gun was true because as luck would have it the gun had been in there so long it was rusted and wouldn’t cock or shoot no matter how hard they tried.

So, they confiscated it, gave us a sharp talking to and sent us on our way! I felt fortunate that that was all that happened because I had visions of going to prison and having a new name and profession by my new cellmate, Bubba when he said, “Is my laundry done bitch?” Needless to say Gary caught hell from me and all the other guys for his smart aleck mouth! I think I learned my lesson about carrying firearms no matter how benign it looks and seems.

Livedog2

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3646
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 should have fed Gary to the muskies the next season or at least taken a few slapshots to his noggin.

It's just not worth the hassle to even joke with those people. They understand the severity of their jobs- respect it.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't had any problems at either the Windsor or Sarnia crossings (except for a trunk search once at the tunnel). I've only crossed for Tiger games and they always ask where my tickets are, who are they playing, etc. Trying to catch me in a lie I guess. Coming back to Canada, I've always been waved through without ever having to show ID.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You shoot Muskie with a .22??? I'll excuse your unusual habit of keeping Tiger Muskie,but what the hell are you thinking discharging a .22 on Woodland Lake? It's not exactly in the middle of nowhere. For the safety of others in the area I'm glad they confiscated your pistol. Next time you catch a Muskie just release it or smack it in the head with a hammer. It's a lot safer and you won't end up in jail.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on August 11, 2006)

Livedog2

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, sir!

Livedog2

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blitz- although this was several years ago, before 9/11 and the new talk of having a passport & all to go to Canada, but I was interrogated for about an hour at the Windsor x-ing...pulled me into the little "carport" there and everything, but yet on the way back into the US, they just waved me through! Thank God the Canadian border guard didn't actually make me lift up my hoodie to show my Red Wings jersey when he asked me who my favorite NHL team was! I told him I was "an Original 6 fan," and he smiled and said, "Good answer!"

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no trouble getting to Canada and back to the US, but sometimes they do be start questioning when I bring my friends along.Gonna get my passport soon before 2008 hits.
DOWNTOWN WINDSOR RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulmcall

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't pay to be a smart ass at the border. A sure fire way to spend the rest of your day answering questions and wishing you'd been more respectful (whether sincere or not).
A Joe Friday..."Just the facts Mame" is a wise policy with those guys.
Love em or hate em, they have to power of God over you in that situation.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pray tell, what is the purpose of a passport to go into Canada? Would seem to me to be just another attempt to control yet another of our constitutional rights.

I recall going to Canada often as a child, my father being Canadian. Biggest problem we had was Dad remembering his naturalization papers when we came back into the States and even then it was a matter of a few moments of discussion.

Wonder if we'll ever get our freedoms back.........

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have al little house on Lake Erie and I have noticed a definite slowdown at U.S. entry over the last two weeks. Even late at night, with few cars in line, the wait can be very long. Dread getting Officer Green or the officer who recently chatted about my place of employment (he never heard of it) and my boss (ditto) and how expensive is my place, etc. I had a passport and proof of ownership of the cottage, drove a small car you can see through, had my domelight on to add to the exposure of any potential banned goods, etc inside my car and still the stop took about 5 minutes - as did every car in front of me.

Some customs officers work only half as hard as other, are only half as efficient, and I wonder if there's any monitoring. The slow guys probably swaer that they are more careful and they get the raise.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 64.228.108.145
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one am glad livedog2 hangs out with lippy morons. Leave your guns at home when you travel. I would never bring anything illegal into the U.S. but I wonder how many Americans think nothing of bringing their guns illegally into Canada?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1053
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin is in town from out of state and the whole family is heading up to the cottage in Canada for the weekend. I was talking to another cousin and she told me not even to bother; it was taking folks an hour to get through Marine City customs last weekend.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1796
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marine City customs-- is that the ferry?

I had a meeting in Toronto on 9/13 in 2001 and while the rest of the world was spending 5-6 hours getting through Sarnia or Windsor, it took about 10 minutes to make it through there.

I can't believe that even that is problematic.

Tell them to just avoid customs, park the car in St. Clair, and have somebody come over and pick them up in the boat.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1054
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh yeah, that's illegal. :-)

But yes, I'm speaking of the Marine City ferry.

Although, another cousin (I know, it's confusing) and his wife and kids have that Nexus plus thing where they are allowed to cross by boat if they call customs within the hour of crossing or something like that. We should all get it but I think it costs a thousand dollars a person or something obscene like that.

(Message edited by susanarosa on August 11, 2006)

Southwestmap

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nexus Lanes are for business travelers and they aren't usually (at the Bridge, at least) open at night or on the week-end. As those are the times I am usually crossing, I don't have one. Also, every passenger in the car must have the pass or you can't use the lane.

Aiw

Post Number: 5757
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOURS OF OPERATION OF NEXUS LANES:

Windsor/Detroit Ambassador Bridge

Hours of service into Canada:

Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (an additional lane will be open 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday)and Weekends: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m

Hours of service into the U.S.

Monday to Friday: 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (an additional lane will open between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday to Friday) and Weekends: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m

Windsor/Detroit International Tunnel

Hours of service into Canada:

Monday to Friday: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (an additional lane will be open 4 p.m. - 7 p.m Monday to Thursday and 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Friday) and Weekends 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Hours of service into the US:

Monday to Friday 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (an additional lane will open between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday to Friday) and Weekends 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/tra vel/nexus/faq-e.html#6

Southwestmap

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I get a witness? The Nexus lanes are not open all those hours!

Aiw

Post Number: 5759
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Nexus user, I hate to tell you they are.

Even on weekends.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm a Nexus user too and it's not uncommon to find the lanes closed an hour or two early at the bridge.

Last Saturday was even better, they were letting non Nexus people use the Nexus lane at the bridge. I got there at around 3pm and there was 6 cars ahead of me. It was apparent none of them had a Nexus card and each was taking 3-5 minutes a piece to clear customs. I was hoping the guard would make them go back to the end of the line or something, but nope.

As it stands, it's still worth the money, but that'll change for me if shit like that becomes common place.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2620
Posted From: 4.229.81.105
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Port Huron can be a nightmare, even if you're not going to Canada. My sister has a cottage on Lake Huron at Lakeport, 15 miles north of Port Huron... and you can get stuck in traffic on I-94 for miles (as far back as where I-69 merges into it) due to border crossing backups. The only way to avoid this mess is to get off at Wadhams Rd. (in Macomb County!) and take the back roads thru the boonies. That sucks, since this is something like a 30 mile detour.

Livedog2... I woulda slapped the piss outta that kid, and left him at the border... :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about it, Gistok!

Livedog2

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using a 22 on a fish, lucky the game warden didn't catch you, you would have had more than a question and answer show. I love your friends line "what about the gun".

All contents/occupants questionable!!!

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 64.228.108.30
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Questionable"? A car-load of douche-bags, no question about that.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 710
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it easy to get a nexus card. my goal is to move to canada and keep my job in southwest.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pdtpuck, I figure I'm only waved through the Canadian side because I'm Canadian and they want to keep things moving, since the ID showing really slows things down. I assume they interrogate the Americans more which they should (just like the American agents should probably interrogate Canadians more). As for your jersey, there are lots of Red Wings fans on this side of the border too!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4242
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, tell Gary this one.

jjaba was asked what his occupation was when stopped at the border. "Rectum Stretcher." "I can stretch a rectum six feet with my skills.
Then the officer started hassling jjaba for hrs.
about everything under the sun.

The officer then asked what would somebody do with a six foot asshole.

jjaba: "Give him a badge and a gun and stand him on a fucking bridge to hassle people."

Gary, try this next time, ya hoser, eh.

jjaba, LOL.

Livedog2

Post Number: 902
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I laughed until I thought I would soil my depends!

Livedog2

Paulmcall

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wouldn't be laughing when they do a cavity search on you.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4246
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's father (alva sholem) came to USA from Ukraine, 1913. When we crossed to Windsor in the 1950s, we would practice in the car, on answering THE QUESTION. (While in line.)

"Where you born son?" Detroit.
"Where you YOU born son?" Detroit
"Where you born lady?" Chicago (Mother)
"Where were you born sir?" Slabotka (Father)

Then it would come time for the guard.
When he got to dad, dad said "CHICAGO" in as good as English could sound.

Then, the whole car would explode in laughter. Dad would lose it, yell in Yiddish, Russian, Ukrainian, Herbrew. "SHVIKE STILL SHA SHA!!!!!!!!!" The guards would smile, and not even notice mother sitting on the bone china, and us brothers sitting on either silverware or English wollen presents.

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.

If Dad said "Ukraine" to the guard, he'd better have his papers. It was the Cold War. Saying Chicago he passed in the fast lane. His only other lie was the Camp Dearborn Guard. We had to always have an address memorized in Dearborn or be turned back.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 746
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I came back from Windsor, about three years ago, I had my mindset in place as I approached the tunnel guardshack on the Detroit side. The conversation went:
Customs & Immigration: "What country were you born in?"
Me: "Detroit".
Customs & Immigration: "Listen to me very carefully. What country were you born in?"

Boy, talk about feeling stooopid.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4249
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936, Detroit WAS your world so your answer was correct. The Guard was being stupid.

jjaba, Old Detroit Times Carrier in the Detroit Nation.

Livedog2

Post Number: 905
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you tell me I could've gotten a cavity search!

Livedog2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.