Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » I found an Albert Kahn bank on ebay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 70.225.113.35
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This lighter shows an unremodeled view of the former Detroit & Northern Savings & Loan on the west side of Griswold between Michigan and State. The building is still with us, but has suffered a 1950s remodeling of a sheer wall of mushroom-colored marble.

I've got a copy of AK's "Industrial and Commercial Buildings" book (the 1925 edition) that has a photo of this bank, which is identified as the United Savings Bank.

I wonder how much of AK's facade might still be there under the marble?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-50 S-DETROIT-NORTHERN-S-L-ASSN-WA RCO-LIGHTER_W0QQitemZ130014972 433QQihZ003QQcategoryZ13549QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1805
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Modernized" facades are a real hit or miss. Some were constructed in such a way that all that's needed is cutting off a few bolts and a good cleaning of the bricks. Other buildings would need multimillion dollar repairs to the brick/marble underneath once the metal facade is removed.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2752
Posted From: 128.36.14.52
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lighter for sale lists a branch at "Joyland" at Joy and Greenfield ... was that the name of the strip mall on the NW corner or was it a name for the broader shopping district or was it a name for that area that has since been lost to the mists of time ... I never heard of "Joyland" before ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.