Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » CITY RUN CHOP SHOP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smooth_operator
Username: Smooth_operator

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY VEHICLES WERE TOWED FROM MY HOME ON JUNE 3,BY THE DETROIT POLICE AND MICHIGAN AUTO RECOVERY , WE HAD JUST MOVED IN ON THE 1ST OF JUNE 2006 AND I WENT TO PICK THEM UP ON THE 6TH OF JUNE AND FOUND THAT THEY HAD BEEN STRIPPED, MY WIFES HONDA WAS STILL ON THE JACK , ALL FOUR TIRES GONE .
MY SONS ENIGINE WAS GONE , HE HAD JUST BEEN ISSUED THE TITLE BY THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ON MAY 30 TH 2006 , MY RADIATOR WAS MISSING AND THE HOSES HAD BEEN CUT MY FRONT LEFT TIRE WAS GONE AND MY TRUCK CAP WAS GONE .
THE POLICE SAY THATS THE WAY THEY PICKED THEM UP.I DROVE THESE VEHICLES TO MY NEW HOUSE .
MY NEIGHBORS SAW THEM BEING TOWED, BUT ARE AFRAID TO GET INVOLVED.
SO I GOT ROBBED, BY THE POLICE?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe someone broke into the lot and did the damage. Did they impound your CAPS LOCK key too?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a car stolen in 2003 and I could not get the car out due to it being used in additional crimes when they caught the dudes. When I was able to pick them up, the polic report only said that the lock was broken as was the ignition..... When I got to the impound lot the radio was gone, the glove box was broken, the dash was all messed up and trash all in the car. I asked the impound lady why did the polic report say one thing and the visual of the car said another and she said...oh well the police on the report. I believe it was the impound lot that took the stuff out the car and trashed it because the guys were caught in the car when the cops found em and and the impound lot took it from there.

Oh yeah.. don't type in all caps please

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just an educated guess, but wouldn't the condition the cars were found in be in the report that was made when the police found the vehicles?

I don't think the city is in the business of towing and storing, so I think you picked them up from a private tow yard. I would think they would also have a report on the condition of the vehicle when they picked it up.

I think your claim, if any, would be with the Tow Company, and my guess is that they keep the proper records to refute a claim like this when it comes up.

Not to say that someone at the tow company didn't do it, but just clarrifying.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1797
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If what you allege is true, I would find a lawyer right quick.

I would also give Steve Wilson a call.

Not making light of it, but this really sounds like a local network investigative reporters wet dream.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2091
Posted From: 150.198.138.127
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the D Smooth_operator.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly it's true. This is the kind of thing that happens on a daily basis here.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact a lawyer and the police now! There are easy ways to tell whether or not you wife's car was towed with the wheels on or off. I would get copies of all the tow bills, photos of all the vehicles as the sit now and a police report.

Edit: If you can also contact a tow truck driver or mechanic that you trust (Or from a different area). Ask them if they would go with you to look at the cars. They will able to tell you if the stripping was done on site and if your wife's car was towed with the wheels off.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on August 11, 2006)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 691
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cops don't tow cars willy nilly... a lot of cars have been stolen using towing theft rings. Like they said above you need to investigate the the towing company.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 531
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the entire towing/impound operation now controlled by a friend of the Mayor who owns Blvd/Trumbull and many other business names?

I believe that i recently read that other small towers were protesting the awarding of the entire city-wide business to someone who contributed to the Mayor.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriends car which didn't even run at the time, was towed (stolen) by one of these towing theft rings. We finaly found out what happened a few months after it was stolen, but by that time the car had been striped and crushed, so we were told.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 473
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My God, will this mess ever end? Everyday, every hour, there is something awful going on in Detroit but I know that is the case in most places around the world.

The problem in Detroit is that no one in city government does anything to help the citizens get their problems corrected. Instead, victims get treated as if they're the problem.

It all comes down to LEADERSHIP beginning at the top.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys got taken by a troll, this is a first poster. Reminds me of the post who wanted help with the boot on her car.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You guys got taken by a troll, this is a first poster. Reminds me of the post who wanted help with the boot on her car.

Therefore they don't merit a response?

Smooth_operator
Username: Smooth_operator

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike the post who wanted help with the boot , I have an attorney and i paid my fine only to ask for a refund after seeing my property .
I have talked to a judge there should have been a red 72 hour sticker put on the vehicles.
the strangest thing about the whole ordeal , I was told to ask for tim at the tow yard and next to my truck was a red ford pick up that said save for tim .
Case Closed.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen where this place is located? Southfield and Joy. It is common for cars to be stripped inside this lot. The only thing keeping people out is a chain and a lock on a fence gate. Our minivan was stolen on Dec 19th and we got a call Dec 24th that it had been found. We went the next day to look at it through the fence and it looked untouched, they didn't even pop a lock or break a window. We had to wait three days before we could get it out of there. Then Michigan Auto Recovery had us over the barrel since it was in nice shape still so they charged 5 bucks a mile to deliver it. The towing bill ended up being over 500 dollars. Who is the real thief....Michigan Auto Recovery. There is a website that I have listing in postings before that talks about the start investigation into the recovery companies and MAR was one of the worst for ripping people off. But you can't choose who recovers your car and the city doesn't give a damn about it. I can't find the link to the report right now, but I'll keep looking.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2622
Posted From: 4.229.90.4
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smooth_Operator.... why did your vehicles get towed in the first place??

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of my vehicles towed and had to pick it up from Blvd/Trumbull and all I saw was nice cars impounded,mercedes s5550's,2 cls500's more than a few range rovers(including mine) and I had to pay an arm and a leg and foot to get it back........i'm in the wrong business

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1252
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have heard rumors about Blvd&Trumbull & DPD - wish someone would look into it since nothing has hit the press yet

apparently B&T gets a lot of drug forfeiture property

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, my 1993 Chrysler LeBaron was stolen and the police recovered it a 1/2 hour after it was taken. I had not even made the police report yet because my buddy and I were out driving around trying to locate it, preferably with the perps still in possetion. (I would have given them my own "justice")

Subsequently it was towed to MAR and I went there the next day to look at the damage. The only thing wrong was I had a popped ignition and the passenger door lock was loose. My insurence co. sent an inspector there 2 days later and one of the "techs" were in the process of removing my CD player.
When I was informed of this, I promnptly called the yard and informed them my lawyer would be in touch. They assured me that the tech in question had been fired and that nothing was missing.

Ultimately, my car was towed to a shop were it was fixed and my radio/CD player was intact. However I was missing several Cure CDs and all the change in my ashtray. But because I got my car back, and a few bucks, I replaced the CDs and forgot about the incident.

Stories like this make me think maybe they is a scam going on. Because I was lucky and had full coverage on my car, I paid little attention to it. I wonder how many less fortunate people have been hosed by these scam artists.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 64.7.187.215
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to motown's midnight motors-

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.