Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DetroitBlog poetry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aek21
Username: Aek21

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 84.24.188.124
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that you dwell here, DetroitBlogger.

So allow me to give you a massive RESPECT for your last post.

It is the first time I have found a text about Detroit more disturbing than ALL the pictures we can find on the Internet.

You are a true poet.

RESPECT

Detroit, you WILL rise again... for like generals never truly retire, so do GREAT cities never die.

Go Tigers!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, you WILL rise again... for like generals never truly retire, so do GREAT cities never die.

Go Tigers!

______________________________ __________________

No comment about the DetroitBlogger, but I love the whole quote about the D.

Welcome to DetroitYES forum, Aek21. Hope to hear more from you in the days & weeks to come with that kind of additude!!!

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1441
Posted From: 68.85.156.103
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitblog is always a bit too sensationalist for me. The State Fair neighborhood is a very sad neighborhood indeed, but some of the things he says are a bit extreme.

quote:

Drugs saturate the area, with sales taking place in broad daylight in the middle of the road.

I've never seen that. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.

quote:

Cars parked on Woodward on the neighborhood’s edge are reliably broken into, leaving shattered window glass glimmering along the curbsides.

Maybe a few, but he makes it sound like you shouldn't dare park anywhere near the State Fair neighborhood unless you want your car to get broken into.

quote:

Gunfire is common.

I don't know about "common".

quote:

The main enterprise on the street at certain hours of the day is prostitution, with a number of hookers roaming openly and hollering at passing cars to stop.

Hollering?

A part of me wishes the DBlog guy would lighten up a bit with all the mellodrama.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well as far as drugs sold in open daylight, that was the status quo in the 70's & early 80's. Then the state bought all the homes in the neighborhood and tore them down for a campground.(which never happened)

Not sure about the cars being broken into, but for the last week there has been a pile of broken auto glass at the curb on southbound Woodward at a light across from the fairgrounds.

No info about gunfire.

And the hookers? Once in a blue moon I will see a probable prostitute, but again it was more prevalent say 10-15 years ago.

In conclusion, I say Detroitblog may take a few "liberties" with what he writes, but isn't art open for interpitation?

just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit blogger's photo essay on State Fair was fantastic. Sorry, you naysayers; I find the man to be a superb writer.

Ignore the critics, blogger. It's just jealousy.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't fukk with the detroitblog guy! He's got friends here. If you don't like what he says or photographs then shut-up, start your own blog and do it your own way so we can criticize the way you do it! Talk is cheap!!

Livedog2

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've personally seen and been "hollered at" by hookers on that stretch of Woodward. Not quite to the degree that it happens on warmer nights in HP, but it's definitely there.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1442
Posted From: 68.85.156.103
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call myself a naysayer exactly, I do enjoy the detroitblog occasionally. But he does go a bit far in my opinion. He tells it like it was, not like it is, and doing that has a negative effect in the end. It perpetuates the myths and stereotypes that a lot of us at DetroitYAY! are trying to overcome.

With that, I don't deny he's free to say whatever he wants on his blog. And no thanks, I'm not gonna start my own blog, I have a job and a life that doesn't allow me time for that kind of distraction.

Aek21
Username: Aek21

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 84.24.188.124
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will leave it to you guys and girls to debate the accuracy of his writings, (since I live in the Netherlands... I have visited Detroit last year and it was the highlight of my trip to the States) but the man can flat-out write.

Sure, some words/sentences put a little more juice to his opinions, but especially in combination with his photos he provides very powerful visions of the D.

I wouldn't call him melodramatic, but melancholic...

Anyway, good people of Detroit, cheers from the Lowlands!!

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me add my voice to the ones who appreciate Detroit Bloggers prose. I think he ought to combine them all in a book. He seems to be a very sensitive and insightful guy. His entries are worth the wait.

I also like the DETROITFUNK and Detroit Arts sites, always visit them at least once a day.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroitblog, Detroitfunk, and DetroitYES have created a lot of interest in our city and have done a masterful and eloquent job of expressing our problems to people who might not otherwise have known Detroit's struggle to rebuild. After lurking here for some time my son now wants to try to start a business in the city. His plans are in the embryonic stage now, but it's dreamers like him who will be our renaissance.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let me add my voice to the ones who appreciate Detroit Bloggers prose. I think he ought to combine them all in a book."
______________________________ ___________________
Sumotect,

I thought of that the other day. For all of the work the guy does albeit gaining the benefit of the artistic and intellectual exercise, there is a buck to be had there.

A coffee table book would seem to be a logical compensation for John Detroit...and as best I can tell from responses, very marketable.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He tells it like it was, not like it is, and doing that has a negative effect in the end. It perpetuates the myths and stereotypes that a lot of us at DetroitYAY! are trying to overcome.

I don't know. Is he being overly negative or brutally honest? Sure we're trying to overcome stereotypes around here. But that doesn't mean just putting on a salesman smile and erecting false facades. We all know the first step in correcting a problem is admiting that it's there. I think most of us are comfortable doing that, but if we ever get shy about it we've got detroitblog to slap us in the face and point us back in the right direction.

PS welcome Aek21 - you're right, his prose is beautiful.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newbie question: is this the blog being discussed?
detroitblog.org

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 357
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.