Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Episcopalian Churches « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Benjamin
Username: Benjamin

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.60.35.169
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've recently moved to Detroit, and am in the process of looking for a church. I'm an Anglican (Episcopalian) by faith, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm aware of the Cathedrial Church of St. Paul, as well as with the Old Mariners Church (no longer in formal communion, I know, but in the Anglican tradition.) I'm planning to attend both these churches at least once before I make any final decision. Are there any others I should be considering, though? I'm looking for...

1. An intelligent pastor. There's no point in sitting through the preaching of a dullard. Period. I'm looking for someone who knows their bible and their traditions, and has the intellect nessicary to interperet both.

2. An artistic enviroment. Both in terms of the structure itself and the quality of the music program.

3. A traditional enviroment. I really am a big fan of the bulk of Anglican Tradition.

4. Close to downtown. I'm living in Roseville, and intend to bike to church Sundays, so I suppose I could bike in some other direction as well, but it would be convient to be downtown afterwords. I don't think I could bike much further before ten o'clock and still look presentable.

Where I have priorities, they're largly in the order presented. As I say, I have the two in mind, but I just want to know if I'm overlooking anything.

Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you considered Christ Church on East Jefferson and the Chrysler Freeway, just east of downtown? It's built in the Gothic style and almost 150 years old. They do wonderful musical performances on the major holydays.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

intellect nessicary

Tee Hee!

Livedog2

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5014
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you really be all about the "unity of empire" if you're living in Roseville?

i mean, we kind of kicked the British to the curb, oh, about 225 years ago.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1241
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3. A traditional enviroment."

Apparently, also an environmentalist.

Benjamin

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 68.60.35.169
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

And I hold the the Unity of Empire in different ways. I believe in the cultural bonds which unite the english speaking world. I believe in the strengthening of the ties between the old and new world regardless of their forms. And I remain a subject of Queen Elizabeth, as I remain a citizen of Canada. In any case, Detroit didn't want to leave, as I recall.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2625
Posted From: 4.229.81.100
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjamin, I assume that you are planning on biking down Gratiot all the way downtown to attend church??

Have you taken that route before? I cannot think of a worse route to take biking downtown than the main arteries.... there's parking allowed all the way, and the roadway is not the best in some parts of the route. You better bring a spare tire, cuz there's likely to be broken glass in some areas.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1804
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christ Church on Jefferson is the top choice, and it fits most of your requirements.

Phil Jackson, the Rector, is a great man, extremely well-educated, and provides an intellectual, yet faith driven perspective.

I would definately give it a try.

Although it does seem awfully far to go for a Sunday morning bike ride.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1617
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, eventually people start answering the questions... heh, heh...

(stab, poke)

I've been to the cathedral a few times and I have friends who attend there. I think it fits pretty well with your list. You may want to spend some time checking it out and giving it a chance.

You should be aware that the congregation is pretty eclectic... culturally, ethnically, and most notably... religiously. The teaching is very anglican and scripturally-based, though, the congregation is nice, and I like the dean. Good luck with whatever you choose.

llyn CIA, GMC, NFL

Benjamin

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 68.41.216.7
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again. I'll make sure to drop by the three mentioned so far.

I might bike down Jefferson instead of Gratiot, and quite often I'll probably bring a map with me and make a point of biking through some neighbourhoods I've never been through before. Gratiot's definantly the quickest route though. I'm not truly worried about the distance to be biked, as I've biked many times longer distances before, and I used to bike a similar distance on occasion to attend church in St. Thomas. I expect to take about two hours.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1831
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're biking down Jefferson you might want to check out Church of the Messiah on E. Grand Blvd. and E. Lafayette (just two short blocks off Jefferson). I'm not Episcopalian and don't know if the church's liturgy meets your requirements, but it's a beautiful little church that has held on and managed to stay a neighborhood based church despite all the changes in the neighborhood.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, Church of the Messiah has also spearheaded much of the residential rehab and infill housing in the East Grand Blvd. / Lafayette neighborhood over the past 25+ years.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1837
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very familiar with their history. I used to work there.

Zede
Username: Zede

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.236.198.3
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a member at the cathedral (though not in town currently) and can't recommend it enough. The dean, Steve Bancroft, is definitely an excellent preacher and a dedicated supporter of Detroit. The cathedral has also been a strong supporter of the city whenever and however it can. As Llyn (a friend of mine, BTW) said, the congregation is wonderfully diverse in every way - racially, economically, theologically, etc. The dean is fairly MOTR - a committed moderate, which is a decidedly Anglican virtue. The worship is prayer-book / traditional, but not as high up the candle as you can get - not exactly high-church Anglo-Catholic, if that's what you're looking for, but it's not low, either. The 10:30 a.m. service is the BCP Holy Eucharist service, Rite II (except Rite I in Lent), except once a month it's Morning Prayer with Eucharist attached. There's a Choir of Men & Boys, a Choir of Women & Girls, and a Chamber Choir, but they take the summers off.

Phil Jackson, rector of Christ Church, was previously at the cathedral, so I know him too. His church would also be an excellent choice. He's a graduate of Church Divinity of the Pacific, where I'm in school right now! :-)

If you like high church, you can't do any better than "Matty Joe's" (St. Matthew's & St. Joseph's) on Woodward at...Holbrook? (if memory serves - anyway, it's near the Boston-Edison area).

The diocese's website has a congregation directory you can search:
http://www.edomi.org/congregat ions.asp
although just now when I was trying it, it wasn't working. Might be my browser, though.

While I highly recommend the three churches above, there are many neighborhood churches I haven't visited. I would encourage you to try some of those. If you find a good neighborhood church, they're the ones who can use extra members. Many are struggling right now, as you can imagine. Of course, that depends on the level of involvement you want. The Cathedral and Christ Church will have larger congregations, but not so large that they lose the sense of community. In fact, there is a very strong sense of community in both.

Good luck - I know you'll find a great home church. There are so many good ones to choose from! Let us know if you find any gems we haven't mentioned!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1622
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She speaks! How are the San Fran summers?!

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 65.42.41.61
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider St. John's across from the Fox Theatre. A traditional congregation, with a top notch music program. 1928 Prayer Book. See:

http://www.stjohnsdetroit.org/

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Fr. Engalls (Ingalls?) still at Mariner's?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 12.75.18.89
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question for Cathedral members: What's going on with the Herlong Cathedral school? Did they find a way to keep it open for the upcoming school year? Or has it gone the way of far too many Detroit private schools?

Benjamin

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'm going to wind up attendin the cathedrial, which looks wonderful. I still want to see the choir in action, though.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1531
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tndetroiter: Sorry to report that Rev. Richard Ingalls passed away earlier this year. Here's the death notice:

INGALLS THE RT REV RICHARD W., Age 79, April 24, 2006. Beloved husband of Wilma (nee Cross). Loving father of Richard W. Ingalls, Jr. (The Rev.) (Lynn), Dr. Brian K. Ingalls, Ann (Sean) Gillespie, Bette (Don) Wisniowiecki, and the late Criag Ingalls. Dear grandfather of Richard III, Robert, Brian J., Andrew, and Rebecca. Brother of John (Libby), Wayne (Joyce), Jim (Lois), Virginia, Carol, David, Sharon, and Bonnie. Also survived by many loving nieces and nephews. Memorial gathering Friday, May 12th, 2-8 p.m. at Chas Verheyden Funeral Home, 16300 Mack, Grosse Pointe. Requiem Eucharist Saturday, May 13th at 11 a.m. at Mariners' Church of Detroit, 170 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit, Michigan, 48226. Memorial contributions may be made to Mariners' Church of Detroit.

Of course both newspapers ran obituaries but they are accessible only to online subscribers.

Benjamin

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'm going to wind up attending the cathedrial, which looks wonderful. I still want to see the choir in action, though.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad took me to several services in various Novembers for the Edmund Ftizgerald that Rev. Ingalls presided over.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1532
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to his dad's death, Rev. Richard W. Ingalls Jr. was installed as Rector of Mariners' Church. Here's the link to the press release announcing his installation: http://www.marinerschurchofdet roit.org/news/newrector.htm

Zede
Username: Zede

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 69.236.198.3
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenniferl,
Sadly, the school had to close, at the end of this past school year ('05-'06). That's all I know, though.

Benjamin,
You will NOT be disappointed with the choirs (or the organists!) at the cathedral. The choirs should be back in action soon!

Llyn,
This summer has been mostly cool. We had a bit of that heatwave here that everyone else in the country had, but it was only a couple of weeks, and it was only like a typical Detroit summer. Of course, it's cooler on the coast than just a little ways inland, where they were over 100. Other than that heatwave, it's actually been chilly here, especially in SF. Today, I found some Vernors in a little shop in SF, so I've got a little bit of home tonight. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.