Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » A Crazy Crime in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 66.174.93.102
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night a friend of mine, we'll call her R, and her friend, J, and I were going to a bonfire. We all met at an apartment I manage at Milwaukee and Second, kiddy corner from the MI State Police Detroit post.

We were leaving at about 10:15, and J wanted to drive herself because she might have to leave the bonfire before we do. J followed us as we get on to the northbound Lodge.

As we're driving, I notice that J is driving really slowly. J calls R and says that there is a bag with a crowbar in it in her car, and that her sunroof is broken. At this point we're getting on eastbound Davison Fwy. J Says come up at Woodward so we can check this out.

We are on the exit ramp of the Davison at Woodward, and I see in my rearview mirror that J's car swerves, and I see a struggle in her car. This mothafucka is in her car. We immediately pull over, and J had pulled over about 30 feet back. R and I run back to her car, and the mothafucka had jumped out and was haulin' ass down the Davison freeway.

There was a car broken down right where we pulled over, with two people standing there. Everyone is calling 911. 911 is so fucked up, they are transferring everyone to the State Police, to the Sheriff, to DPD. I finally call a friend who is a sergeant with DPD, and R calls a state rep-elect who live about two blocks away. They both make it to the scene before the State Police.

The State Police takes everyone's statement, and we suggest they fingerprint because there are prints all over the sunroof. They actually do it. We followed them back to the State Police post, right across the street from where the incident originated, for them to fingerprint the car.

Long story short, we believe this guy was caught in the act of stealing the car, and was trying to hide until we got where we were going. J said he looked more afraid than she was.

Luckily, J was ok, with only a minor injury to her face, where he hit her with the bag with the crowbar in it. She was very shaken up, however.

I would like to extend my thanks to the State Police Troopers who responded and took the prints, and the Trooper at the post who were all very helpful. I know we were probably treated well because we had a DPD sergeant and a state rep-elect on the scene with us, but it was a great effort by the MI State Police.

Everyone, especially ladies, check your backseat before getting in your car. It sounds like something out of a movie, but it is always better safe than sorry. This was a freak incident, where he was caught in the act, and was just trying to hide until he could make a get-a-way. Wish we could have caught him though. This fool could have won an Olympic race as fast as he was moving.

Just thought I'd share. ALWAYS BE AWARE!!!

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank for sharing and bringing awareness! Wow. Scary, I hope your friend is ok.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 900
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is where that "fish gun" would have come in handy!

Livedog2

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1208
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAZERS FOR EVERYONE!

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 69.215.77.47
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story sounds phoney.....you mean to tell me she didnt notice glass in the seat from the "broken sunroof" before starting her car? Come to think of it....I got this same story as a chain email some time ago minus all the Detroit references.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 901
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't pay any attention to it because it’s either one of the 3% incorrigible, malcontents or one of the 10% followers of the 3% incorrigible, malcontents!

Livedog2

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2835
Posted From: 75.0.88.190
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mw2gs, you sound phony. Based on your attacks of anyone that criticizes Kilpatrick, it sounds like you don't want any news out there that doesn't portray everything as fine and dandy in Detroit.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats right MetroD....attack me instead of a story that says someone jumped in their car and drove off without realizing broken glass from the sumroof until they have driven roughly 4 - 5 blocks and onto a freeway. Oh wait.....maybe the supposed theif had a handheld vac in the bag with that crowbar.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats right MetroD....attack me instead of a story that says someone jumped in their car and drove off without realizing broken glass from the sunroof until they have driven roughly 4 - 5 blocks and onto a freeway. Oh wait.....maybe the supposed theif had a handheld vac in the bag with that crowbar.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or better yet....the sunroof was made of plexiglass and the crowbar was used to pry it off. Yeah thats it?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Mw2gs, attack the possibility of a crime happening in Detroit. Oh wait, the poster of the story (Ron) is an attorney and was recently a candidate for state representative. Surely he doesn't have any credibility compared to you.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but this story is just too phony. I'm not saying that there is no crime in detroit, but I am saying that this is full of "thats not possible" questions for me. For example: She would of noticed it before climbing into the car, and perhaps lets say she didn't, wouldn't she feel this giant breeze pouring in through the top? Where would this man of hid in the car? And lastly, we don't have state reps elect right now, (I might be wrong, but I thought we only just had primaries...)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy is lucky she wasn't armed...if there were ever a clear cut reason for shooting someone in self defense, I think that's it...

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1341
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow it just smacks of this...

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ madmen/backseat.asp

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Just like all those "urban legends" of car thieves not knowing that there was a child in the car.

I think it's safe to say that Vandy didn't vote in the most recent elections and isn't a close follower of the news or politics.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4127
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron, for your sake, and strangely enough, I sure hope actually happened, or you've lost all credibility with me. It's not that I don't believe this could happen, but the link just posted seems to leave more questions than answers with me.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 13, 2006)

Mw2gs

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MetroD....Im attacking the validity of this story. Crime in the city, any major city, is a reality. This one, no matter what city it allegedly occured my friend, is full of shit. Bask in the ambiance!!!!!!!!!!

Mw2gs

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also check this statement out. "We are on the exit ramp of the Davison at Woodward, and I see in my rearview mirror that J's car swerves, and I see a struggle in her car. This mothafucka is in her car."

Ok....it's 10:15 at night and dark. When I look in my rear view all I can see is the car's headlights. Has anyone ever seen inside of a car thats behind you at night before pulling over? Im curious!!!!!

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 965
Posted From: 69.212.51.35
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R and J should have put A and B together to C what was happening!

G What a F' up story!

super d(motordetroit)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the absolute worse use of Snopes.com that I have ever seen. Funny that every other time that source has been cited on this forum (including by yours truly on one occasion) the story matched EXACTLY...in this case, it's just a somewhat vague relation to the theme of Ron's account of an incident. And some people are going out of their way to cite a vague relation from Snopes as proof of invalidity!

I usually don't agree with Ron, but he does have credibility on this forum (unless proven otherwise), therefore his FIRST HAND ACCOUNT counts a lot more than a vague reference and/or sour grapes "doubts" by some, especially from less than credible forumers.

Mw2gs, your examples are as bad as your defenses of Kilpatrick and as bad as your attacks on anyone that criticizes Kilpatrick.

Sorry but it's not that hard to see a car swerve in your mirrors (that's what they're there for you know) and it's really not that hard to see into a car that's behind you, even in the mirrors, and even at night. Perhaps you have poor eyesight, among other deficiencies.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok....it's 10:15 at night and dark. When I look in my rear view all I can see is the car's headlights. Has anyone ever seen inside of a car thats behind you at night before pulling over? Im curious!!!!!

it's possible...especially if you are in an s.u.v., the vehicle behind you is a car, and the vehicle behind them is another s.u.v.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1278
Posted From: 75.10.11.106
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on Ron's description of the incident, the snopes.com link, and Ron's previous posts, my guess is that Ron is telling the truth.

Ron

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 70.212.31.123
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell each and every one of you that I was there. You can contact Trooper Jeff Dwyer (sic) at the State Police Detroit Post and act as if you have information about this matter. While he was not the officer in charge, myself and the Detroit police sergeant stood there and spoke to him for over one hour while they were fingerprinting the vehicle. Ask him if he remembers speaking to Ron Liscombe, and two young ladies with names beginning with J and R, and a DPD sergeant about this incident. (I will ask for a waiver of the DPD sergeant, a friend of mine, to post his name).

With regards to seeing in the car behind me, if there is a vehicle behind a vehicle behind you with lights on, there is an illumination of what is happening in the vehicle directly behind you, particularly if you are on the exit ramp with cars relatively close together.

Regarding J's awareness of what was happening in the vehicle, she had just dropped off her daughter and nieces and nephews from a day long outing, and did not notice the bag in the car on the seat. She thought that it was a bag that they left in the car. Additionally, the moonroof was pried open, there was no glass in the vehicle. She tried to close the moonroof while we were on the Lodge heading to the Davison, which is why she was driving so slowly. It was at this point that she went through the bag and saw that it contained a crowbar.

Once she called R in my car and said that there was a bag with a crowbar in it, we said we would pull off at Woodward. He must have heard this, and decided it was time to jet. That is when all this occurred.

As I clearly noted, we don't believe this man was in the car to do any nefarious deed other than to take the radio or steal the car, and was just caught in the act.

Long story short, I have no reason to post such a far-fetched story like this if it did not occur. My professional reputation is far more important to me than any perceived credibility, or lack thereof, on this forum. I posted the story to warn everyone to be aware of their surroundings, just as I did my mother and sister this morning. If anyone would like to survey the scene of the crime, feel free to contact me via this forum.

As everyone is aware, my mother's purse was snatched a few weeks ago, and these incidents are merely indicative of a rise in crimes of this nature at this time.

I was also on my way to a bonfirre being attended by a few Wayne County Assistant Prosecutors, and I was with another person politically connected. As I also noted, the state rep-elect for the district where this act culminated also showed up to the scene because we called him as he lived a few blocks away.

Believe it or not, I really don't care. As I said, my professional reputation is worth far more than telling far fetched stories such as this. I belive my credibility is well established, and I am not afraid to use my real name.....can many of you say the same thing?

Ron

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 66.174.79.231
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also one more point. The other reason that J didn't think anything too strange was because who the hell would believe anything like this? As is apparent, not many people. This is like something out of a movie. All I can tell you is that this actually happened. I can barely believe it, and I was there and it happened to someone I know.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 69.242.214.135
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did Jr. have to say about the incident once he arrived on the scene?

And some of you thought that he wouldn't do much because of his inexperience.

Jr.'s already scoring points with his constituents.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4128
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for further explaining, Ron.

Ron

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 66.174.93.100
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, it wasn't Jr. The event culminated in Highland Park, at Davison and Woodward. If any of you know the person who won the primary here Tuesday, ask him if he showed up at the scene. Maybe state rep-elect wasn't the precisely correct terminology. He is the Democratic nominee in an overhwelmingly Democratic district, thus my choice of words.

No prob, Lmich. No one wishes more than I that this didn't occur, but unfortunately, it did.

(Message edited by Ron on August 14, 2006)

Ron

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 66.174.79.239
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little update here. J was called in to the State Police Detroit Post today for a photo line up. Apparently, a young man was caught breaking into cars right around the Post yesterday.

Very heartening, and I commend the State Police for their wonderful work and attention.

Ron

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 66.174.93.101
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update:

Channel 7 just interviewed J and will be airing the story this evening. Watch Channel 7 News. I'm not sure what time, but I believe it will be at 5.

The impetus for Channel 7's story was the disbelief many people had at the story. R contacted some people to get the news to cover this event.

And I will be accepting apologies (and drinks) from Mw2gs and the rest of the Incredulous Ones this evening at Sweetwater Tavern. Their disbelief at my rendition of this story is certainly far more telling of their tendency for veracity, or lack thereof, while posting on this forum than anything else. Way to impute your personal characteristics on someone else there fellas.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 68.73.198.214
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to abhor gun violence and have a .38 caliber revolver at the same time?

later - naturalsister

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 518
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Blame/don't-believe the victim" is fast becoming the Free Space in DYes Bingo.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10505
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a job for Glock! No need for fingerprinting then.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the fact that a crime was committed and the victim was hurt. That's flat out wrong!

But, why is Channel 7 airing this event? To get the state rep. elect that arrived at the scene when called by friends some airtime? To show how quickly state police responds to 911 calls? To show how outrageous crimes are committed in Detroit with regularity? You reported that police caught the guy so convict him and send him to prison with a long sentence.

Channel 7 should send investigative reporters out on the streets to find who killed Raven Jefferies.

This is another example of how people with 'connections', as Ron has stated, get treated far better than most Detroiters that go without.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But, why is Channel 7 airing this event?

Because "There could be some hiding in the back of YOUR car!" gets better ratings.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 68.79.164.148
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the report. J said she wanted to get the word out to be careful. She had a few signs that something was wrong and ignored them. The sun roof was pried (sp?) up, not shattered, hence the lack of glass. The so-called rep-elect was never mentioned.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 794
Posted From: 68.73.198.214
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the Channel & story, and there is video.

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_lo cal_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_1 5924_4933588,00.html

later - naturalsister

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2683
Posted From: 4.229.105.241
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Ron, don't forget to order a beer for Metrodetguy, who stuck with you!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2886
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a variation of Snakes on Airplanes. Ron, I'm happy to hear that it ended up with out serious incident.

Ron

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 70.212.121.87
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

I'll buy Metro two beers myself.

I, too, Lowell, am glad it ended without any serious injury. J is still quite shaken up over it, though. I'm sure it will take some time for her to get comfortable with driving alone at night again.

It's too bad that people won't take you for your word, especially when I, personally, take my credibility very seriously, particularly in my profession.

Nonetheless, there is a lesson to be learned by all in this incident. It could have been far worse.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2900
Posted From: 69.221.36.36
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox2 aired the story last night as well. Like it or not, this was a story worthy of news coverage, and the doubt (and subsequent attacks) by some of this forum only added to the media angle.

This story as well as the recent story from Real Detroit about the (relative) popularity of this forum only goes to show that integrity must be maintained on this site. When certain forumers that are less than credible and their bogus claims/stories and/or attacks are posted, they should be called out every time, rather than certain forumers choosing instead to mock someone for bringing the credibility issue up.

And thanks for the virtual beers, Cheers!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 68.252.8.170
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell J to replace that car with a domestic.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.