Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Cliff Bells Cover Charge...SAY IT AIN'T SO! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 834
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wah.

I posted a thread last week or earlier about the bar at 150 W Jefferson. In the post I complained that there was a cover charge (one among many complaints) and I compared it to other successful bars like Cliff Bells and Buzz that don't ask for cover.

Well...shut me up.

Last night as I and several friends strolled in to Cliff Bells...$3 cover charge. Oh well...so much for that.

I asked to talk to the owner and did. He was very nice and said they needed to do that to pay for the band. I told him that my vote was to charge $1 more per drink to make it up...he said that they like to charge less for drinks. I told him my vote was a big NO! That nothing can spoil a mood worse than a door cover charge. But I understand it's not a democracy.

He did say one thing that really disturbed me...he said that there were people that liked the cover charge, and that one guy liked it because "it gave the bar a sense of exclusivity."

BARF BARF BARF.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, lots of bars do that...

I used to play bass in band in the Ferndale area back in 2001-2002...a typical gig would involve a $5 cover charge, which we and any other bands playing would get 100% of and split it amongst us, while the bar owner made his or her money on the increase in drink sales from the people that we brought in.

(Message edited by thejesus on August 13, 2006)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3968
Posted From: 68.43.2.230
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow memories of Centre Street are flooding back. Who could forget their successful cover charge policy. Half the fun of going to Harmonie Park was dickering down the cover charge with the bouncer and then going somewhere else! Good riddance to that place.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1704
Posted From: 4.229.132.140
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit......the big city!.....and some of you are bitching about a cover charge!? What difference does it make if they charge an extra dollar for a drink or a cover charge?

If you don't want to pay for a band then go where there isn't one; but to bitch about a 3$ cover charge...........small town mentality

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...to cover, or not to cover...BoMac's didn't charge for quite some time, then started, it did change the clientele and it did shrink the audience at times, too.
Baker's charges on the weekends but and they build enough 'fat' into their drink prices to help pay musicians during the week.
Wonder if they will start charging on Weds for Scott's band?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1065
Posted From: 68.248.9.131
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with cl, G-d forbid the band gets paid...go somewhere where there's canned music and stop complaining.

Citylover

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a musician tha has played many places in and around Detroit I do get annoyed with people griping about a cover charge.

Musicians work hard.Hauling equipment in and out of clubs,rehearsing and practicing; they deserve to be paid_ sometime that requires a cover charge.

Now I certainly understand that some of you don't like that but it is so small time to gripe about it.......3$ fucking dollars? Are you serious?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1356
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid $25 a person to hear Bobbie Short at the Cafe Caryle in the Hotel Caryle in NYC back in the 70's.
All part of the price of doing business. Some places even had a minimun once you paid the cover charge.
Cover charges are routine, and Cliff Belle's is worth the $3 just to see all the nice woodwork.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1074
Posted From: 75.10.4.241
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there on a Wednesday night recently, and they had a big band playing--no cover. There was a fairly good crowd, but I was still wondering how a band with so many musicians could be fairly paid for this gig without a cover charge. Drinks were fairly priced for a nice downtown bar. I'm not surprised to hear of a new cover charge, and $3 for live music is really not that bad.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only $3 to hear a live band? Cheap. $5 sounds fair to me.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroiters have always been notoriously cheap about paying cover charges. I mean, $3? That's nothing at all!

You know, you get what you pay for. No or low cover usually means you're getting a cruddy band (or one that's just starting out).

Towns with low and no covers are usually backwater burgs... expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $30 as a cover charge in big cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. That's just part of the cost of going out unless you're doing a dive bar crawl.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5763
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is a live band a cover is not a big deal to me. However, if there's a cover just because...

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 68.42.216.192
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should be charging $5.

(Message edited by restoretheroar on August 13, 2006)

Quinn

Post Number: 835
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CityLover it's obvious you have an issue with people not liking cover charge. Small town mentality? I don't think so.

I don't have a problem with paying the band at all...I surely don't expect them to NOT get paid or play for free! I just don't like carrying cash around with me, and find the hold up at the door EXTREMELY annoying. NOBODY WOULD CARE TO PAY $1 MORE per drink and the owner/band would shurely make more money that way!!!!

FOR INSTANCE...I had 6 cocktails. Hmmmm...$6 or $3? DUH!

Citylover

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit aspires to be a big town.....Well Quinn in NYC and Chicago and probably San Fran and Tokyo and London cover is likely around 25$ and that is with a drink minimum and the drinks are higher priced........so..uh..yeah small (read hick) town mentality is evident here.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Chicago to the Jazz Showcase to see almost any group, and you'll have a $25 cover charge. $3 is nothing for great music.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...small (read hick) town mentality is evident here...

Amen. You want to live in a big, cosmopolitan city? Be prepared to pay a little for it.

Quinn, wouldn't the bar put the cover charge on your credit card? Many places will do that if you ask. Regardless, it's smart to always have a little cash on hand, just in case.

I'd much rather pay a cover than $1 or $2 more per drink, but that's just me.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5015
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so... i'm still failing to see why you'd rather pay $1 per drink than pay $3 at the door. odds are you're going to have more than 3 drinks, thus you end up ahead.

gotta love people who bitch about shit, and their alternative solution benefits them even less. geez, it's 3 bucks.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.209.185.163
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually have three dollars.

Quinn

Post Number: 836
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT'S IRRITATING IS ALL I'M SAYING. Never said it wasn't worth the money. "Read hick"...whatever dickwad. Nice way to make it personal.

CityLover it sounds like you've gotten screwed over before by a bar owner or whatever. Sorry if that's the case. Maybe I'm just being bitchy about it, but yes I'd rather have them hide a profit for themselves somewhere where I wouldn't notice. Just a preference.

Also, just so you know, it's $3 on the weekend there regardless of live music. That's what the owner told me. "Oooh...a sense of exclusivity."

AH...I got it...CityLover is the OWNER!?!?! Hahahah. Whatever...get over yourself.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2837
Posted From: 75.0.88.190
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the same person that...was part of claiming that a female media personality was really a man, attacked a political candidate and his family, attacks forumers that don't agree with him/her, etc. is offended at someone "making it personal".

Citylover

Post Number: 1711
Posted From: 4.229.132.176
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not say you are a hick....I said small town (hick) mentality was evident.

You appear to be a cheapwad.I used cheapwad instead of cheapskate to coincide with my newly anointed dickwad monicker.....

You don't come off looking too slick when ya bitch about a three dollar cover Quinn....

Jelk

Post Number: 3971
Posted From: 69.209.148.191
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to retract my comparison between Cliff's Bells and Centre Street. Didn't catch the part about live music in Quinn's original post. Paying a three dollar cover to hear live music seems reasonable. Covers at bars only bug me when you are paying to go inside a buy drinks and listen to the jukebox or in Centre Street's case, listen to a DJ play over-modulated techno in a low ceilinged basement bar without a dance floor.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 24.145.153.182
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you'll pay a lot more in New York or Chicago. But if you haven't noticed, Detroit is not New York and/or Chicago. If you charge cover at a Detroit bar, it doesn't become a trendy New York club, it becomes a Detroit bar... that charges cover.

The small town mentality may come with the fact that downtown Detroit essentially is a small town. The nightlife is dead down there except for after Tiger's games and a fairly healthy Friday/Saturday night crowd. Charging cover to people who already have to haul their asses downtown and possibly pay to park (if they don't know better) just makes Detroit a less attractive option. Clubs in large cities charge cover because the people don't have much of a choice. Here, not the case. I've been to plenty of venues downtown and in the burbs that have free bands. If you charge cover, there's probably 50 options within 25 miles that don't.

On a personal note, I hate when you go to certain bars and there's a shitty cover band playing. There's some places you go to (pubs, sports bars) to have a few drinks, talk to your friends, maybe watch some tv; but not to check out a band. Cliff Bell's strikes me as one of those places. One of my local bars had to stop having bands on weekends cuz it was driving away business. If Quinn is the prototypical Cliff Bell's customer and cover pisses him off... maybe they should not charge.

Jimg

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately Cliff Bell's doesn't have a TV. But it does have good jazz on Weds. eve, not a 'cover' band. And it has a great vibe.

Pffft

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are PLENTY of bars downtown where you can get hammered and talk to your friends without the pain and heartache of listening to live music.

Good fking grief. The next Wednesday I can, I'm going to Cliff Bell's to fork over $3 just on principle. Support the few bars, especially in downtown Detroit, that have actual live music played on instruments by humans.

Quinn

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't have to pay...you only pay on saturday and sunday I was told. Go figure.

I've been to plenty of places in Chicago (New York a few times) where there is live music, and no cover.

Let me stress...I'm not saying the band isn't worth $3. Quite the contrary...I bet they aren't paid what they're worth.

I would pay alot of money to see a band that I wanted to. What I wanted to do was go and have a few drinks. I didn't know there was going to be a live band...never considered cliff bells to be a "jazz place."

Here's a for instance...we went to Bakers Friday night for like the millionth time. Cover is $5. I know I'm going to pay that (I'm used to it) because it's a place to go listen to music...yes and eat wings. So it doesn't piss me off to pay cover...at all.

I think my rant is really more about the second part of my post. "People like the exclusivity..." BULL SHIT. Again...barf barf barf. YOu all want to get pissed off...go to 150 W Jefferson and pay $5 cover to sit in a half empty bar and pay $10 for your drink. To be honest I'm probably still mad about that and I'm taking it out on cliff bells.

Sorry...rant over.

Pffft

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, there are TONS of downtown bars with NO LIVE MUSIC.

Go. Enjoy. Leave the few that pay live bands in peace.

Citylover

Post Number: 1714
Posted From: 4.229.132.199
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Quinn......now you really don't mind about the cover and you are still pissed about your experience at 150 W.Jefferson?......why didn't you just say that to begin with? Now we can be friends (again?).

To the person that wondered about the big band at Cliff Bell's being paid with no cover.......they probably are not getting paid they do it cus they love playing.I played a long time at many places including the Soup Kitchen in Detroit for nominal pay because I loved playing.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 907
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cliff's

Livedog2

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 974
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time does Cliff Bells open on Saturday??

Jimg

Post Number: 691
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, CL, the band don't make shit...anyone who wants to support Scott Gwinnell's orchestra should buy their CD.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2095
Posted From: 150.198.138.127
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,

Stop being a cheap $3 is nothing. It is not the owner of the CB to entertain you. That isn't why he opened up his business.

There are a lot of people that don't drink but want to go out and listen to live bands. That $1.50 coke they buy is going to keep the place open or pay the band. Covers are necessary to pay the bands and also charge something to the folks that don't drink. It is not a new concept that people pay for entertainment. When a bar starts charging cover just to get into the place and there is no live entertainment, bitch then.

Quinn

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gander...what? You don't make sense. "It is not the owner of the CB to entertain you. That isn't why he opened up his business."

No...he opened to make money. Um...I'm confused about what you are saying here... I did refer to my previous bitch/rant about 150 W. Jefferson.

No I'm still pissed about the $3. I would have been pissed at $.50. I would have been pissed at $10. IT WAS ANNOYING THAT'S ALL. Geesh.

In the end...I'm still going to go to Cliff Bells, and now that I know there's cover...I'll expect it. The place is great and I like the bartenders.

p.s. I still think a drag act could to well there...hey do you think they would charge cover? ;) Ahem.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have said entertain you for free.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 599
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, to echo Hooha's point above, there are many times I would pay $5 to NOT have a bandplay. Thoughtful non-live music programming (or an excellent jukebox) can often be much more enjoyable than a run of the mill mediocre hack band with an audience base consisting of immediate frends and girlfriends. I am not saying that is the case with Cliff Bell's...more of a generic point based on years of bad experiences. If I want to see a live band, there are bars/venues for that.

On a different yet slightly related point, based on my recent experiences, two of the best bars in Cincinnati for live music (of the indie bent) never charge cover (the Northside Tavern and the Comet)....and this is not just for local bands, but out of towners as well (except for the few "special" shows, such as, e.g. a Blanche/Greenhornes release party). From what I can tell, this seems to work out pretty well...then again this is a small town (1/3rd the size of detroit).

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1466
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not saying anything was handle improperly.

But many bars use the cover charge to avoid taxes.

Raising the price of liquor shows up in your tax reports and your insurance rates at the end of the year.

Many see the Cover Charge as free and clear money.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10472
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently walked away from Cliff Bells because they were charging cover. I look at it this way, if I was meeting friends there and would remain for several drinks, I have no problem paying a $3. In fact, $3 is cheap as hell for a cover charge for a band. The case the night I walked away was I was making a pitstop there for 1 and then meeting friends over at The Well after the fireworks had finished. So, the $3 cover for one $5 drink was not worth it to me. Their music is amazing at Cliff Bells, if you have a problem paying $3 then your are a serious cheap ass, that's all I gotta say.

The drinks at Cliff Bells are already higher priced that most any other bar in town, though on par with bars in most other cities. To raise the drinks a $1 as opposed to a $3 cover would likely be reason for more people not to go.

For the longest time 5th Ave downtown didn't charge a cover. Then after about 9 months or so they began charging either $5 or $7. I then quit going. Not because I didn't like the place, or didn't like the bands, it was simply I wasn't planning on staying there all night and it wasn't worth it to me as a bar hopper to go to places that charge cover.

So I'm sure that Cliff Bells will niether lose sleep over losing your business, nor experience much of a drop in business because of $3. The people that have frequented the place know that the Jazz there is well worth $3, and a steal at that price!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer Cliff Bells sans band. Although the bands that have performed there seemed pretty good, it is just too loud. Can't talk to anyone comfortably while the band is playing until it takes a break. I know a fair percentage of people go there for the music, but some of us just want to drink, socialize and enjoy the atmosphere.

As far as the cover goes, $3 is nothing for Cliff Bells. I would, and have, paid that in a heart beat. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality. But what pisses me off is when The Well starts charging cover. Not only is there no way I'm going to pay money for the privelege of drinking in that place, but it makes me want to go someplace else on the nights there not charging cover.

(Message edited by E_hemingway on August 14, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10473
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway,

Wouldn't you agree though that downtown is seriously lacking in the area of live bands though? You basically have 5th Ave, Cliff Bells, Townpump, The Well (on occasion) and sometimes Hockeytown. Aside from that, I can't think of anywhere else to see live music at a bar. Does Hard Rock even have bands anymore?

The Well only charges when they have a band, when they do, it's often loud as hell so you either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it.

ps...good to see you and your lady at Summerfest.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7716
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live Music also at:

Seldom Blues
Detroiter (occasionally)
Rhino
Cheli's
Bookies
Bert's (Eastern Market)
Key Club
They Say
Old Shelleleigh
Currents

A fair amount in outlying areas like Corktown, Midotwn, etc. Start adding in Hamtramck and there are more than enough places to see live music.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belmont in Hamtown has the best live music.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 882
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport: Naw, downtown isn't lacking venues. Finding a place with music is almost a sure thing on the weekend, plus you have all the places in Corktown, Midtown, Hamtramck. The talent level of some of the bands is pretty impressive. For example, I wandered into Lager House Saturday night not sure what band would be playing, but knowing the odds were pretty good a quality band would be there. Low and behold, I discovered Man Incorporated. Great show.

Summerfest was pretty cool. Nice little neighborhood party. Lots of good music. Not to mention we love walking through that neighborhood.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

given how much i drink, a $3 cover charge is far more reasonable than an extra buck a drink!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

e_hemingway, did you stick around for the main attraction? "easy action"

soo good. after the show some friends and I ambled up trumbull to a summerfest afterpary

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1066
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, They Say has never charged a cover to see any of the bands that play there 5 nights a week.

Of course, I never go for the bands anyway.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they were pretty good. The bass player reminded me of a Guns N Roses clone. I'd pay to see them again. Started out in Woodbridge and ended the night around 4 a.m. at Finite. Was the afterparty you went to at Commonwealth and Willis?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7717
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan - I have never payed cover for They Say but I have not been there too many times.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

e-hemingway, that was the party!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, shortround gave us the heads up on that. We were planning on heading over to it after Lager House, but got sidetracked and ended up at Finite. Hope it went well.

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 766
Posted From: 68.74.6.49
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh yes, the summerfest after party. Good stuff. Thank god those old guys showed up with the kegs(and knew how to hook them up).

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1239
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hope it went well.

not as well as I had hoped lol ;)

Supersport

Post Number: 10475
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thank god those old guys showed up with the kegs

Agreed! I bet I hadn't carried a keg into a party in probably 7 years, almost brought a tear to my eye.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creepy...

http://info.detnews.com/entblo g/index.cfm

quote:

Cover charges? Sometimes

Here's an interesting discussion on when and why a bar should charge a cover charge.

Quinn

Post Number: 849
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha...

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. Come to think of it...when we went in to Cliff Bells the band wasn't playing, and the guy taking the cover didn't say "It goes to the band" or anything regarding the band. Just "We now charge cover...sorry." It wasn't until I talked to the bar owner that I learned it was to "help pay" for the band.

I think if thy doorman said it went to the band (that is on break right now but is going to continue playing) I wouldn't have had a problem. Certainly wouldn't have been as upset as I was.

Make sense now?

Supersport

Post Number: 10479
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, they had a band, you paid $3, so what are you upset about? Do us all a favor, don't try and order pickup at Slows. I don't know if I can stand yet another one of these threads.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn just stay home and then you won't have anything to bitch about.

Supersport

Post Number: 10480
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe she/he once said "home" was Woodbridge, so I suppose if Quinn stayed home ALL the time, eventually I'd probably bump into Quinn and listen to the bitching and not have a scroll option....that would suck.

Quinn

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport/Merchantgander/Metr odetguy...get over yourselves...FREMAN HENDRIX LOST AND IS A TOTAL F'ING LOSER.

Stop taking it out on me...I was only the messenger. It was his race to loose...and loose he did. Mightily.

If you don't like this thread ignor it buttholes.

To all other posters on this thread...sorry that these jackasses follow me around...I don't know what to do. It's like lice...or a rat infestation.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2860
Posted From: 69.221.78.208
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again...Mr/Ms Credibility him/herself

Could you please stop attacking local businesses in order to promote your agenda. Let me guess, you are involved with rival businesses and you're using this forum to attempt to do harm to your competitors, much like you used this forum to launch political attacks during the mayoral campaign.

Funny how you keep getting caught lying. You've claimed that you live in both Woodbridge as well as Indian Village (as well as originally claiming that you were from the suburbs).

Merchantgander

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Freman Hendrix losing have anything to do with people being tired of you whining like a little bitch every time you go out? Again if you are so cheap buy a bottle of cold duck and drink at home but please stop crying on the internet.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5020
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am confused with ILD/Quinn/Ltorivia/etc. continually bringing up Freman Hendrix when they're backed into a corner in an argument. Is that the last club in the bag or something?

Quinn

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah I knew that would draw you out.

-----------SCENE--------------

Dinky apartment in Woodbrige.

Supersport to metro via phone: "Hey loser, get on detroit yes...quinn is talking about you."

Metro to supersport via phone: "Cool...let me 3-way in merchantgander."

Metro on 3-way with Super and Merchant: "Hey merchant, quinn is throwing shit out about our man...lets post!"

Merchant: "Hey let me zip up and switch over from girlsgonewild.com. Where's Danny? SOMEONE CALL DANNY QUICK! "

-------END SCENE--------------

Good one you guys...keep it coming. It's entertaining...for me at least.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1373
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cliffbells.com/inde x.html

If you click on photos it has some old photos mixed with the new ones.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2863
Posted From: 69.221.78.208
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Aram, the Hendrix references are the second to last club in "Ilovedetroit"/Quinn's bags. The last club is some kind of unwanted (homo)sexual reference.

Quinn

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old pics are really great...thanks gogo.

On another note...I completely forgot about that font on the "C"liff Bells logo. This is also behing the current band stage in a mosaic I think.

A few weeks ago, we were debating the C in the Cliff...really looks like a P to me.

Supersport

Post Number: 10484
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freeman Hendrix is working the system, making more money than Kwame, and able to pay a $3 cover at Cliff Bells without going online and bitching about it. THAT is why Quinn is upset.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2639
Posted From: 4.229.81.159
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally disagree with Quinn and ILD about Hendrix (I thought he would make a great mayor). And I too took offense to many of their comments....

But I think what Quinn is referring to is MDG's constantly prodding and digging up the old stuff over and over and over again, even though election time was nearly a year in the past.

There's a saying in German... "der Gescheidere gibt nach"... the smarter one will just let it go....

Quinn

Post Number: 860
Posted From: 68.40.105.21
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what about the "P" everyone?

C or P?

and, if P, should they alter the logo?

pliff

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1133
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, I think a 'P' in the same style would loop at the start of the letter similar to the 'B' in Bells. Picture the 'B' without the middle and lower loops.

It's a funny 'C', though - I agree with that.:-)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 68.60.139.244
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a Sperm to me.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 964
Posted From: 69.14.126.173
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a C to me.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 890
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I hope they rebuild that bar in the basement someday.

Michael

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the man's signature for cripes sake. Take a sampling of signatures and see how many first letters of names actually look like the letter penned.

As for the bar in the basement, I do not see it happening anytime soon. Where do you think the mosaic behind the new bandstand came from?

Jimg

Post Number: 693
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to brave the cover charge tonight and hear some great jazz.

Quinn

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not a signature...unless he's a caligrapher. It's typeset.

What bar in the basement? Do tell...

Michael

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, lots of elders I know have very clean signatures, not like the chicken scratch most people pass off as signatures today. Maybe the person who did the mosaic, linked to above, cleaned up his signature a bit to make it look better.

As for the bar in the basement, the above mosaic came from it. Before it was a poker room, it was the original Cliff Bell's speakeasy.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2088
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a reversed bass clef to me.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 784
Posted From: 69.215.244.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,

You're busted. The sentiment with which you started this thread was not about hating to carry cash.

You said,

"I just don't like carrying cash around with me"

But you seem to lament at the possibility that CB could become attractive to hipsters and subsequently lose its charm?

I'm a reasonable person and I know it can't be about the $3. Just admit it Quinn, you have a profound fear of suburban hipsters taking over Cliff Bell's.

later - naturalsister

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, the DDays crew from Real Detroit is taking over Cliff Bell's for a super-swell par-TEE. All your friends from the Hayloft Liquor Stand, Bosco and assorted other bars in the Clem and SoRo will be hand to swill the latest red bull concoctions and dance the night away. Enjoy!

Quinn

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha BUSTED! Good one...yes I have a fear of the suburban hipsters.

Really the thread was started because of a melange of feelings...and one of them was this "exclusivity via cover charge" mentality. Another reason is I'm a bitch and like to bitch.

I didn't know you were such a hottie gogo...why don't you just let merchantgander get in your pants just one time, then maybe he'll leave you alone. Or maybe not.

Jimg

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One can only hope some of the folks posting on this thread will go to the club and support the musicians...any Forum members show up tonight, I buy them a beer.

Supersport

Post Number: 10486
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm going to brave the cover charge tonight and hear some great jazz.

JimmyG...aka "High Roller"

Jelk

Post Number: 3989
Posted From: 64.208.211.59
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey where did half this thread go? I thought I made some important points about preserving the cement silohs on Merchantgander's head in the event of loft development? Who is trying to silence my cause?

SAVE THE MERCHANTGANDER CEMENT SILOHS!

Quinn

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civility sucks, jelk. Like, SO not fun.

Jimg

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...wasn't even a cover last night. Band sounded GREAT.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 64.32.219.138
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm i must have missed the cover guy last weekend or something, i didn't even get asked? but i would pay it for sure...

Quinn

Post Number: 872
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told you!

Cover saturday and sunday regardless...I said you wouldn't pay cover wednesday!!!

Jelk

Post Number: 3993
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Civility sucks, jelk. Like, SO not fun.

You tell me Quinny, bad-mouthing a newly opened Detroit business for engaging in industry standard behavior. Seems a little uncivil to me. BTW, have you and your friend ILD ever confirmed that Mildred Gaddis was in fact a man? If she wasn't that seems a little uncivil as well.

SAVE THE MERCHANTGANDER CEMENT SILOHS!

Quinn

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christ get over yourself, pinhead.

Yes I have evidence Mildred Gaddis is a man...she shtooped me last night...but she was moaning your name the whole time...

Jelk

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's some bloody fucking civility right there if I ever heard it. Thank you for showing me the way...cunt.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I thought Quinn was a dude?

...I'm so confused.

Quinn

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!!

Jelk needs to take a chill pill...get over your self you self-righteous dork-wad.

I'm a man...who slept (got shtooped) by a man (Mildred Gaddis). However, Mildred Gaddis missed shtooping Jelk, and moaned his name the whole time.

AHEM...Jelk and Mildred Gaddis are having an affair...and both are men. We're talking mega gay action here. Gay gay gay gay gay. I've got proof. Seriously. It's true. You like, SO, have to believe me.

Ahem.

Where's itsjeff?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 827
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Jelk was a woman. ;)

Jelk

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever I am, it is infinitely superior to Quinn.

Quinn

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean, "Whatever I am, I'm infinitely superior to quinn."

You could replace the contraction with the full I am...you're choice.

Jelk

Post Number: 4002
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at least you concede the main point, I'm better than you. Check and mate.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 64.32.219.138
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzz.... ^

Quinn

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...thanks for making my point, Jelk.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.